closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 10 of 25 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: The motivation weight loss thread

Master

Thread revival!!!

Evening all,
    Update and just checking how is everyone doing. I've become a bit lax unfortunately. Was planning on light exercises in the neighbourhood gym - has not happened! My mum is here which is not helping. Like any self respecting Indian mum - insists on feeding everyone around her! Surprisingly she's on a keto diet - she feels it is good for her - her sugar levels have never been better and she's lost 6 Kgs!
    But my weight has been steady-ish, I was hoping to maintain between 62 and 63 Currently sitting at 63.5 - drinkies tonight and a curry will not help. I really need to start exercising. Hoping to start with simple body weight exercises at home and then move on. During my uni days (over 20 years ago) used to bench press 20% more than my body weight and could squat with 120 Kgs. Deep Sigh! I know that isn't going to happen but want to reduce the jiggly bits.

Craftsman
    Did my first diet at 60 years old. Three of my wives mates were starting a diet in January and suggested I should join them. £20 each, winner was the one who lost the biggest percentage of body weight by 3rd April. Had to have a weigh in every fortnight in Boots and post the ticket up on a WhatsApp group. I knocked them into a cocked hat! Oh they don’t like it these women on diets - they can’t take a weight related joke, can they? Anyway, I won and got them to each donate their 20 quids to a local food bank.

Me in January.
    gif hosting

Me on April 3rd

Final figures

All I really did was not eat between meals, cut down on the wine, knock the 10pm cheese and biscuits on the head and stop finishing off any food my wife left in her plate!

They want to have another go. I’m up for it. I really notice the difference - I lost 5” off my belly measurement and can now tie my shoelaces now without getting out of breath because my guts aren't squashing into my lungs when I bend over! Oh, and I had to take a half link out of two of my watch bracelets.
    Last edited by Motman; 14th April 2018 at 21:27.

I don't mind weight training, so in 2015 I took up the Max's Muscle-Up Challenge. With a start weight of 14st 11lbs, I ended up at 13st 8lbs and firmed up to my surprise! I was very happy. One thing though, I did continue to drink at the weekends and still ended up with a good result.
    It's pretty full on, lasts for 12 weeks and I would recommend it.

Anyway, fast forward to recent months and here we go again...15st 4lbs (too much beer!)

The Doris decided to purchase The Three Week Diet by Brian Flatt. I am very sceptical, but decided to go along with it. There are plenty of positive and negative reviews on the internet.
    The weight training component is nothing as intense as the Max's Muscle-Up Challenge. We are at the end of week 1 (thank f***), motivation is hard at the moment.

At the end of the day it's not rocket science as I'm sure you all appreciate. Eat 500 calories less each day and exercise, job done! it's just grasping hold of that magical and elusive motivation.

If you don't mind a bit of weight training, take a look at this.

Channel Link

Good luck.
    Last edited by halfpasttwothirty; 15th April 2018 at 12:37. Reason: Corrected YouTube link

Craftsman
    I’ve lost just over 2 stone since the start of Jan

5’ 9” gone from 17st 10lb to 15st 9.5lb

Fairly simple approach - using MyFitnessPal to track what I am eating and limiting it to 1500 calories per day

I’m now going to the gym 3-4 times per week and don’t change what I am eating on gym days, to me that’s bonus calories burned

Next target is to get below 15 stone by the start of June

Then I will re-evaluate the next set of targets - so far I have hit every one I have set thus far. Short term goals keep me motivated and keeps me working towards my long term goals. The lowest weight I remember being as an adult was circa 15 stone and I was playing rugby 5 times a week at that between training and games. I hope to get back playing after losing some more weight

Quote Originally Posted by mk2driver View Post

Fairly simple approach - using MyFitnessPal to track what I am eating and limiting it to 1500 calories per day

I’m now going to the gym 3-4 times per week and don’t change what I am eating on gym days, to me that’s bonus calories burned

Then I will re-evaluate the next set of targets - so far I have hit every one I have set thus far. Short term goals keep me motivated and keeps me working towards my long term goals. The lowest weight I remember being as an adult was circa 15 stone and I was playing rugby 5 times a week at that between training and games. I hope to get back playing after losing some more weight
    Great job well done. I lost a stone with no carbs but it’s crept back on. Going on an olive oil diet from Tuesday, see if I can shift a stone or two by June?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master

MyFitnessPal is a very useful app. I credit MFP for my weight loss. I am too knackered after work to go to the gym. Will have to start a basic routine at home with push ups, squats, crunches and burpees!. Then graduate to weights and running! As you said small, short term goals and re-evaluate.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Exclamation Spring is in the air

Good idea guys to rekindle this thread.
    Stable sunny weather will be here before long. That means beach parties, pool parties, naughty parties and nude beach fun. So, time to get serious again.

Over here the winter has been extremely wet and another wet front is forecasted to arrive Saturday.
    It has seriously hampered my keeping into shape by cycling.
    Still managed to keep it mostly up on the mtb and it also meant an increase in muscles mass, the force available but still... the 2 kilos extra, whether weight or muscle, are 2 kilos extra weighing me down.
    The docker set of pants I started with as a sort of bench mark last year drop from my bum like a stone. And that is with the adjusters 2 cm tighter on either side. That has been só motivating to keep the fat from growing on again.

Starting last Friday the weather has been mostly stable and I have been out on the bikes alternating between mtb and road bike.
    Also started a 1000 kcal daily intake.
    Did three days, 1000 (2) and 1500(1) kcal rides. Today a massive 2600 kcal one. Not getting near the scales but that is theoretical 6000 + 6100 kcal energy spending spree.
    Feeling great!
    Still four days to go till the rains and the plan is another 5000 kcal. (plus the 6000 lost on upkeep).

The goal is to shed the 2 to get on the previous goal again, plus the next phase of 5, by the end of May. That seems easy but the first two will go as fast as the last two will linger. I guess 3 by the end of this month and then the remaining in a month. Well, aiming for a week to spare but that is allowing for a bit of ´rebound´.
    Fingers crossed that the weather will allow me to go out on the bicycles.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    and YES; 30 kms, 400 altimeters, 1100 kcal.

Back home half an hour under the southern sun to warm/repair the muscles. It really makes a difference and a bit of a tan is a nice bonus.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    and yes, yesterday 36 kms, 648 altimeters, 1350 kCal.

Today no cycling. Starting a long weekend at the Costa del Sol in a moment. Latino dancing burns kilos of calories too.

Master

Thread revival!

Hello all, just wondering how's everyone doing? This thread was started in March 2017.
    As for me, weight is steady between 62.5 and 64. This includes drinkies and curry/chinese over the weekend!
    Going to the gym and exercising at home has not worked out. Just too tired after work to do anything. Will have to try in the AM. All ideas and suggestions welcome. Hope all of you are holding steady.

Hello mates!

On February 4th I started my exercise and diet change, at six feet tall and weighing 208 pounds (14 stone, 12 pounds). Today I am 172 pounds (12 stone, 4 pounds). This at 70 years of age.

I accomplished this by walking about 30 miles per week, and limiting my food intake in both quantity and 'quality.' Over the decades I have seen countless people running, walking, working out at the gym, and still looking 20 pounds overweight. I immediately know they don't understand the balance of the exercise/diet formula: 80-90% of weight loss results from diet control; only 10-20% from exercise.

I joined a gym about six weeks ago and have been adding some core and weight/resistance training to my regimen.
    Last edited by pacifichrono; 14th June 2018 at 22:32.

It's unfortunately that simple.

However, sometimes I really can't control my impulse eating - unless I'm on a specific eating/training regime.

I'm down from 104kg to 99kg in the last 3 weeks. Mostly from water, as I've dropped my carb intake quite a lot, and stopped eating 5 chocolate bars a day. Hopefully that's the hard part over. As my new rating is effectively a 1000 calorie per day drop from before ahs a lot lower carb. I'll see how I feel at 95kg, and I'm prepared to go as low as about 90kg.

I even went to the gym for the first time in 4-5 months, but my shoulder is as bad as ever. Still I'm hoping to get in there 2-3 times a week for the summer now.

Fingers crossed everyone stays focused and on track!
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    It's unfortunately that simple.

However, sometimes I really can't control my impulse eating - unless I'm on a specific eating/training regime.

I'm down from 104kg to 99kg in the last 3 weeks. Mostly from water, as I've dropped my carb intake quite a lot, and stopped eating 5 chocolate bars a day. Hopefully that's the hard part over. As my new rating is effectively a 1000 calorie per day drop from before ahs a lot lower carb. I'll see how I feel at 95kg, and I'm prepared to go as low as about 90kg.

I even went to the gym for the first time in 4-5 months, but my shoulder is as bad as ever. Still I'm hoping to get in there 2-3 times a week for the summer now.

Fingers crossed everyone stays focused and on track!
    I found that my terrible binge eating habits were a result of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD). I take both Prozac and Topiramate to combat those strong urges. They aren't a panacea, but while I was once 248 pounds, I am 171 today.

Strangely, I too was around 248-250lbs at one stage, but a lot more active and probably in the shape of my life at the time, and close to 20 years younger than today.

I'm sure the obsessiveness had a role to play in eating habits. That said I find when I'm using My Fitness Pal, I find it quite ready to keep close to a set calorie and macro level.

Master
    I’ve lost my way in the last 2 months (since a honeymoon in Vegas) and probably put on close to a stone. Eating complete rubbish, motivation gone and that extra weight makes me feels uncomfortable in lots of ways.

Got lots of summer commitments coming up so need to get back on track. Will use this page to get going. Right now off to find my motivation . . . . . It’s here somewhere!

I’ve lost 3 kg since April, using Mediterranean diet mostly, still trying to keep off carbs. Eat hardly any bread or potatoes, olive all with everything...even my porridge

Master

Yoo Hoo! Thread revival again!

Hello all. Checking in again.
    Not much progress since my last post in June. Weight s still between 62 and 64 (weigh in this AM 63.4)
    The exercise bit is just not working out. I'm afraid I'm too lazy to exercise. There is a gym literally next door to where I live.
    They only open at 0630 which is too late for me. In the evenings I'm too knackered to even think about exercise.
    I hope all of you are holding steady.
    Best wishes!

I saw a nutritionalist and signed up to an eight week programme. She targeted my macros and I’m eating a really well balanced diet comprising Carbs, Protein, Fats and Vitamin reach foods. In eight weeks I’ve lost 13lb, 3” off my waist and 5% body fat. It has been the best £80 I have spent in a long time and my food has been awesome too. Below is a before and after pic, plus some dinner pic’s

Sometimes you just need to say f**k it and have fish and chips though!

Craftsman
    This year I have gone from 17st 10lb down to 13st 12lb as of last week

Tracking what I eat through MyFitnessPal - started out at around 1650kcal but have bern at 1500kcal for a while.

Started at the gym after first month and then replaced that with running and I am doing a half marathon in October which I never thought I would do. Did a 1.54 half marathon last week in training for it so already achieved target number 1 of being sub 2 hours

Still a bit to go yet (I’m 5’9” tall) but feeling good and it’s become a way of life. First baby arriving in December will certainly affect the exercise but need to ensure enough meal prep etc is done so it doesn’t affect the eating too much

This year I have gone from 17st 10lb down to 13st 12lb as of last week

Tracking what I eat through MyFitnessPal - started out at around 1650kcal but have bern at 1500kcal for a while.

Started at the gym after first month and then replaced that with running and I am doing a half marathon in October which I never thought I would do. Did a 1.54 half marathon last week in training for it so already achieved target number 1 of being sub 2 hours

Still a bit to go yet (I’m 5’9” tall) but feeling good and it’s become a way of life. First baby arriving in December will certainly affect the exercise but need to ensure enough meal prep etc is done so it doesn’t affect the eating too much
    Well done buddy, that is a spectacular result.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well done, chaps

Goes to show it's pretty much all about the food, if you can track your macros and behave then the weight quickly falls off; defo takes quite an effort to keep military about it but the results are worth it.

Journeyman
    Those meals look absolutely fantastic.

Calories in and calories out. Consistency. Do the basics really well.

Keep it up everyone!

Master
    Well done to everyone, some great results.

I’ve unfortunately gone totally backwards. 6 weeks ago had a stint in hospital with labyrinthitis (viral ear infection) and gastroenteritis at the same time. The former has totally knocked me for six - balance completely gone and even now still struggling a bit. Put on 3/4 stone as not been able to even walk properly and a bit too much comfort eating.

Today though I managed 10,000 steps which is a bit of a milestone - much needed as I’m on a two,week cruise starting this weekend.

Master

Yoo Hoo! Thread revival again!

Evening all, how's it going?
    I'm still holding steady between 62 and 64 Kgs, closer to 64 than 62! Need to clean up my act a bit. My fall is the weekend curry and wine. Don't drink more than a bottle of wine/ 5 doubles over the weekend but the calories are astonishing.
    No progress on the exercise front I'm afraid. With the weather getting colder a salad is looking less & less attractive as lunch option. Need to expand my repertoire of soups!

Well done all. Yep I’m still progressing well. I’m now down to 13.5% body fat from 20 originally and 15% at my previous post, I’ve recently started using a PT, changed gym and quit the booze. Target for Christmas is to be properly shredded at around 10% body fat. I’m really pleased with progress, six pack, seratus anterior, external obliques and latismus dorsi are really starting to show. I’m well chuffed.

Keep it going guys, you’ve got this.

Grand Master
    Could I ask how are we measuring body fat?

RIAC

Very inaccurately, for the most part, I would say Kerry.

My body fat percentage is measured with an Omron BF302 electronic hand held analyser and confirmed by my PT using callipers at 13.7% a few weeks ago. Having just checked I’m now at 13%

To anyone being critical, How’s yours measured and what are your body fat percentages?

Well done everyone on their progress towards a healthier lifestyle.

I use Tanita segmental scales - but any bio-electrical impedance or calliper measurements are widely inaccurate, and should only be used as a general guide to whether your b/f is increasing or decreasing imo.

Master
    I understand that a DEXA scan is the gold standard way of measuring body fat.

Anything we use at home is relatively inaccurate, but used consistently on the same person, can show trends pretty well.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    I use Tanita segmental scales - but any bio-electrical impedance or calliper measurements are widely inaccurate, and should only be used as a general guide to whether your b/f is increasing or decreasing imo.
    Mine shows a decrease from 20% to 13%, plus there are loads of images which demonstrate that how we look in the mirror is a better way of judging body image than any scales. The below look pretty accurate to me but feel I could now spot into the next bracket down, I’ve worked damn hard for over 150 days.

I’m proud of my progress and that of others on this thread, so come on mate let us all know how well you are doing with your starting and current %.

Last time I looked this was the ‘motivational weight loss thread’ not to be usurped as the de-motivational thread.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by yumma View Post

How’s yours measured and what are your body fat percentages?

Well done everyone on their progress towards a healthier lifestyle.
    Personally I look in the mirror if I like what I see I am the right percentage
    RIAC

There is no way the first pic is 1% to 4%

Someone people just don’t understand that around 3% is very very unlikely, even if you are someone like a 300lb+ monster professional body builder - but I see lots of around 12% body-fat guys, and even higher body fat girls claiming they are somewhere around 2% ;) lol

I saw a dexa scanned friend at just under 10% and he looked absolutely shredded

Owl1
    Not read the whole thread but i know you can't burn away a poor diet ( too much fat,sugar carbs etc ) with exercise alone .Eat healthy and exercise is the only answer .

Grand Master
    Exercising and food and rest form the triangle, I have trained since 1985 fairly consistently and been involved in many sports from enthusiastic amateur to Team GB and without doubt the greatest breakthrough and realisation for me has been with extended fasting and the refeeding period, I find after 5-7 days of not eating my energy levels are fantastic and I continue to train daily and when reintroducing food the nutritional gains and benefits to the system are incredible. So much so that I have been asked to deliver a presentation on it and combined with my experience use it as one of the tools in my life coaching. Not for everyone but lends itself well to my lifestyle.
    RIAC

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Motman View Post
    Did my first diet at 60 years old. Three of my wives mates were starting a diet in January and suggested I should join them. £20 each, winner was the one who lost the biggest percentage of body weight by 3rd April. Had to have a weigh in every fortnight in Boots and post the ticket up on a WhatsApp group. I knocked them into a cocked hat! Oh they don’t like it these women on diets - they can’t take a weight related joke, can they? Anyway, I won and got them to each donate their 20 quids to a local food bank.

Me in January.
    gif hosting

Me on April 3rd

Final figures

All I really did was not eat between meals, cut down on the wine, knock the 10pm cheese and biscuits on the head and stop finishing off any food my wife left in her plate!

They want to have another go. I’m up for it. I really notice the difference - I lost 5” off my belly measurement and can now tie my shoelaces now without getting out of breath because my guts aren't squashing into my lungs when I bend over! Oh, and I had to take a half link out of two of my watch bracelets.
    Well, last night I tipped the scales at 15st 13.5lbs so I kinda slipped a bit! This has all happened in the last 6 weeks, so easy to put it back on. Gotta get back on it.

Started my first ever diet about March April I think it was, was 19.11st at 6.5ft and huffing and puffing all the time. Went Keto type, sub 30 grams of carbs, as little sugar as pos and almost no booze. Took me 3-4 months to lose 2.5st then started treadmill running. Certainly made a difference to me.
    Had a suit made for our wedding in January, and when I tried it on three weeks before in August it’s was a trip yo the tailor, 8” out of the jacket and waist size down 4” I was super pleased even though I’ve now plateaued at 17.5st. Last month I’ve increased my carb intake but not sugar and no increase in booze, but I’m thinking of going back on it to try to get sub 17st.
    The running once again has buggered my knees so that’s stalled, until I feel fit enough again.
    Overall I’m chuffed.

Craftsman
    I am struggling. I am doing weights. My weight is rising. I am really not sure if I am making progress. I am a lot stronger. But also heavier. Do you guys think I should cut my calories in take daily? Currently doing 2100 net with a couple of nights off.

Grand Master
    ‘Don’t be obsessed with weight it’s just gravity and numbers’ - KG

RIAC

Master
    Decided (yet again), enough’s enough. Been going round in circles.

Committed to do ‘couch to 5k’. Did my first one last night. At the time it was extremely hard. Felt good after I finished. Doing it with my wife (who is fit and motivated) which will help a lot.

I’ve got that ,not started yet but I’ve entered a triathlon,I’ve got 6 months to try and get fit,I know the swim will kill me ,not done owt for 20 years.

Grand Master
    I have taken on 2-3 clients as a life fitness coach this year and all are doing well. My main advise is ignore all the silly internet articles and magazines that glamorise or try and sell. It’s a simple combination of finding the right food and exercise to suit you coupled with a positive or motivated mental state. You don’t train away fat it’s diet but exercise enhances the process mentally and physically.

RIAC

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    I have taken on 2-3 clients as a life fitness coach this year and all are doing well. My main advise is ignore all the silly internet articles and magazines that glamorise or try and sell. It’s a simple combination of finding the right food and exercise to suit you coupled with a positive or motivated mental state. You don’t train away fat it’s diet but exercise enhances the process mentally and physically.

Good advice. Thanks :-)

Journeyman
    I must loose a few stone and some good advice here. simple exercise and cut out the wrong foods and puds.

Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    Hello mates!

On February 4th I started my exercise and diet change, at six feet tall and weighing 208 pounds (14 stone, 12 pounds). Today I am 172 pounds (12 stone, 4 pounds). This at 70 years of age.

I accomplished this by walking about 30 miles per week, and limiting my food intake in both quantity and 'quality.' Over the decades I have seen countless people running, walking, working out at the gym, and still looking 20 pounds overweight. I immediately know they don't understand the balance of the exercise/diet formula: 80-90% of weight loss results from diet control; only 10-20% from exercise.

I joined a gym about six weeks ago and have been adding some core and weight/resistance training to my regimen.
    Evening Sir! This approach interests me as it’s similar to what I have in mind for the new year. I’d like to shed a stone in the next six months.
    Last edited by TaketheCannoli; 27th December 2018 at 21:44.

Journeyman
    has anyone successfully managed to use an app to help them with their diet?
    I am definitely in the gym goer and 20 pound over weight category!!

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Waxman View Post
    has anyone successfully managed to use an app to help them with their diet?
    I am definitely in the gym goer and 20 pound over weight category!!
    My fitness pal will give you a better understanding, but its easy to understand really, if its in a packet telling you how good it is for you with lots of pictures and fancy packaging then its probably shite like 90% of most supermarkets.
    RIAC

Craftsman
    I use MyFitnessPal to track calories - I find it keeps me honest when times get tough

+1 for MyFitnessPal.

Really good, don’t go overboard, just keep it sensible and sustainable. Good luck.

Master
    My fitness pal is good for zapping stuff to see how many calories inside, and good for adding up ingredients to put a value on home made meals, but if you go through the motions by inputting all you data it has a habit of giving a very low calorie intake per day.

I used this method to calculate my daily intake

https://youtu.be/aDYCBah9QbQ

A couple of things I found useful.

Don’t crash diet, don’t take slim shake drinks, skinny coffee or fat busting pills. There are no quick fixes.

We all have a diet, food we already enjoy. Probably we can make a few changes and can improve it and lower the calories.

Calorie deficit (see above YouTube video), it’s the only thing needed.

Even a small deficit will work, but it will take time. No days, weeks but months, maybe many months .

Which leads to, what ever changes made must be substainable. Consistently day on day, week after week, month after month.

Since June I’ve dropped 1 and 1/2 stone. Blood pressure down. Feeling healthier, fitter.

I was doing 4 to 5 sessions of spin class a week. But was three stone over weight. It’s true, you can’t put train a bad diet.

Now do 2 spin classes , 2 yoga classes, 2 bodyweight/TRX/resistance classes a week.

Exercise is different for everyone. Taking a brisk 10 minute walk morning, lunch and evening every day could have similar effect if you’ve not been active before .

Ultimately exercise helps but even with no exercise calorie deficit will bring your weight down.