closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: The motivation weight loss thread

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by solwisesteve View Post
    12'5" this am! :-)

McDonalds last night though... SWMBO didn't want to cook and nothing out of the freezer :-(

I'm trying the 'eat nowt 'till 5pm' thing and it seems to be working. I admit, I am scoffing a bit at dinner time but it still seems to be coming off. :-)
    Excellent Steve, well done and keep it up!

Weekly weigh in for me today, stayed level. First week in 9 with no loss but down around 2 stone so can't grumble.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gavsw20 View Post
    I'm going to start the 5:2 on Tuesday. My question is I typically cycle (socially @ 15.5mph) 40 miles twice in the week.

I was planning on "fasting" on a Monday and Wednesday but I cycle on a Weds and don't want to run out of energy when on the road. Whats a good diet to eat on this (fasting and cycling) Wednesday please ?
    I can't tell you Gav but I do know a number of 52'ers who seem to be able to exercise whilst fasting without an issue. If you are on FB there's a fantastic group called 5:2 Intermittent Fasting Diet who have been around since Michael Mosley came up with it and their advice and knowledge is excellent.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    I can't tell you Gav but I do know a number of 52'ers who seem to be able to exercise whilst fasting without an issue. If you are on FB there's a fantastic group called 5:2 Intermittent Fasting Diet who have been around since Michael Mosley came up with it and their advice and knowledge is excellent.
    OK thanks for this, will take a nose later today.

I've hit "the wall" before on a ride and wasn't much fun.

Master
    I would love to lose a few pounds but motivation and probably discipline is a struggle. This is not helped by the fact that I am not in the least bit sporty and the thought of going to a gym leaves me cold.

I am just about to turn 45, am 5ft 10 and weigh around 13.5 stone. I have been that weight for a few years now and it doesn’t seem to vary much, but then neither does my diet or activity level. I don’t think I’m massively overweight, but it sits on my belly and I am not happy with that. My work is mostly office (80% ish) based. I am finding I am always tired and lacking in energy. Two young kids, one of which is a very poor sleeper doesn’t help here, but I know that diet and fitness is a big part of it too. I just need to get of my lazy ass and do something about it!

I thought seeing my dad diagnosed with diabetes in his 60s would have helped with the motivation, which it did initially when I got into running three evenings a week. That didn’t last long though and our evening routine with the kids leaves little time to get back into it (or is that just a poor excuse). My wife is currently doing Slimming World and I eat the same SW meals as her each evening, but I am weak when it comes to snacking and eating unhealthily at lunchtime at work.

Maybe it's time I did something about it. Would love to be 12 stone and lose the belly!

Master
    Went for a brisk 5k run yesterday after work, having ate well all day.

Then went to see my brother which put me in a foul mood, so came home and had a few bags of crisps washed down with stout.

And the day started so well...

I've put on a few lb recently (2 weddings didn't help), so need to hit the tarmac again this evening.

Master
    12'5" this am! :-)

McDonalds last night though... SWMBO didn't want to cook and nothing out of the freezer :-(

I'm trying the 'eat nowt 'till 5pm' thing and it seems to be working. I admit, I am scoffing a bit at dinner time but it still seems to be coming off. :-)
    I'm not sure that's a healthy way to lose weight though? Your body is probably changing the way it metabolises the food you eventually eat. Once you get back to a normal eating plan it may take some time to adjust back.

I'll just add I have the nutritional knowledge of a brick wall so maybe it is good. but as this is essentially just you consuming less calories, id do it with healthier meals rather than less meals

Best way is to do some exercise that is part of your routine so it doesn't take too much special effort. I cycle to work as much as I can. Weight has fluctuated between 11st and 13st and the top end is always if I have a lazy winter off. Another bit of advice is not to worry too much about the scale, but to get yourself under control as soon as you go up a hole on your belt as this is usually an inch on the waistline - following this I have stayed fairly constant weight the past 4 years even during inactive periods.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveR View Post
    I'm not sure that's a healthy way to lose weight though? Your body is probably changing the way it metabolises the food you eventually eat. Once you get back to a normal eating plan it may take some time to adjust back.

I'll just add I have the nutritional knowledge of a brick wall so maybe it is good. but as this is essentially just you consuming less calories, id do it with healthier meals rather than less meals
    Well I agree but, also with the nutritional knowledge of a brick wall, to my simple mind, the way to loose weight is to use more than you take in. So you either exercise more (and 50mins/20K on the rower each morning is enough for me!) and/or eat less. I'm going for the eat less method.

I tried this a few years ago and managed to keep it off afterwards for quite a few years without any issues. It's just over the last year I've reverted to the dark side i.e. too many snacks and too much drink after dinner sat in front of the telly. Basically scoffing c. 1500 calories of peanuts whilst lying on the sofa is NOT the best (healthy) way to keep at a sensible weight; I do REALLY like salted peanuts though ;-)

I'm eating loads of veg and lots of smoothies (okay except yesterday at MacDonalds) which is, to me, a healthy diet. In fact we generally have our plates (that's including SWMBO) overflowing with veg - as much as we can fit into the steamer. No chips. No pasta.

Hopefully, once I'm down to my target (another 7lbs off), I can go back to 'sensible' eating and keep off the grab bags of sweets and the snacks... maybe keep the drink ;-)

Master
    lots of smoothies (okay except yesterday at MacDonalds) which is, to me, a healthy diet.
    Smoothies might be healthy in terms of vitamins etc. but as part of a diet to lose weight are fairly catastrophic as by breaking down the fibre structure of the fruit (which normally means the sugar content is released slowly as it takes time to digest), you end up with effectively sugary water which enters the blood-stream quickly causing blood-sugar to rise and can result in the liver going to fat production mode.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post
    Smoothies might be healthy in terms of vitamins etc. but as part of a diet to lose weight are fairly catastrophic as by breaking down the fibre structure of the fruit (which normally means the sugar content is released slowly as it takes time to digest), you end up with effectively sugary water which enters the blood-stream quickly causing blood-sugar to rise and can result in the liver going to fat production mode.
    Okay... just lots of veg and water then :-(

Master
    Okay... just lots of veg and water then :-(
    Fruit is fine just eat it whole not mashed up!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post
    Fruit is fine just eat it whole not mashed up!
    What are these prepared fruit salads in plastic tubs like? I mean heath wise. I'm thinking quick and easy for lunch.

Master
    What are these prepared fruit salads in plastic tubs like? I mean heath wise. I'm thinking quick and easy for lunch.
    The fruit is fine just watch out as they often add sugar to the juice. (Of course fruit juice it not great for the same reasons as smoothies but for the small amount in a fruit salad I don't think that is a problem really).

Managed another 2lb this week, now 3.5lbs off my final target then the hard work begins trying to keep it off

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Montybaber View Post
    Managed another 2lb this week, now 3.5lbs off my final target then the hard work begins trying to keep it off
    Well done! :-)

My advice is aim about 2lbs below your intended target; there's a bounce back when you stop. Also don't do an abrupt stop... ease off gradually and don't fall back into the issues/habits that cause the weight gain in the first place (easy to say I know)!

Craftsman
    bit of a milestone for me today - first time I've seen the scales under 100kg 99.9 but hey its going in the right direction!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jimyu View Post
    bit of a milestone for me today - first time I've seen the scales under 100kg 99.9 but hey its going in the right direction!

I know a lot of people say don't look at the scales but, for me, it's good motivation seeing those regular drops.

Well done! :-)

My advice is aim about 2lbs below your intended target; there's a bounce back when you stop. Also don't do an abrupt stop... ease off gradually and don't fall back into the issues/habits that cause the weight gain in the first place (easy to say I know)!
    Thankyou, i am with SW so will still be going for free as long as I stay within +/-3lbs which i think is a great idea

I am not sure I can go back to how I ate/drank before, I am now used to sugar free drinks/black coffee and anything too fatty is not appealing at all, my big worry at the moment is how do I stop (first world problems)

Great to see so many sticking with it, and making progress.

Another 10 days and I'll be back in the gym and sticking to my "more productive diet". Due to too many niggles in my late middle age I'll be trying a new lighter weights regime to see if it brings the same benefits with less strain on my now aching body. I am hopeful of being under 10% body fat within the next few months - fingers crossed!
    It's just a matter of time...

Weigh in tonight, anothet 3lbs lost (total 40lbs) and slimmer of the month for second month running, fair to say I am not popular in that village hall

I take great delight in telling them how easy it is ;)

Although I moaned earlier on have managed to lose 7kg over past few months and almost 10kg in total since I started weighing a while ago.

Now 65kg, and thinking either that that's enough, or that my scales are full of it. Annoyingly, all my watchstraps are a little bit loose now. Might have to rethink my priorities....

Blog Entries
    I've been into training/etc for years, it used to be for Rugby but now more for pleasure and future health, my Wife and I are lucky because we both like to cook and eat really healthily, however I do think it's very important that whatever type of dieting/training you are doing to have a cheat day.

At the end of the day none of us are professional athletes with strict enforced diets, having something to look forward to that you enjoy at the end of the week is a good motivator to keep you on the straight and narrow. Life's too short to be obsessive about it, I used to be anal about every little thing I ate, now I think that most things in moderation, combined with decent exercise and general understanding of what food is good/bad is far healthier.

I look forward to all my meals though - otherwise I just wouldn't eat them, or stick to any set diet. I think it's all about having foods that you enjoy and very day - it's not about penance or putting yourself through it to achieve a result. For most it's just a few simple/healthier changes/choices, alongside increasing activity - increasing activity is the key to being able to eat a more varied and enjoyable diet, and having the odd binge night out in restaurants etc. Whilst completely guilt free.

Master
    Weigh in day today - that's two weeks running with no loss, just maintained.

Can't say I'm not a little disappointed considering I've still got quite a bit to lose. Had some nights out and family do's so that's not helped.

On the positive I've not gained any which is good.

On the negative my watches are a bit too big after losing around 2 stone

Master
    Weigh in day today - that's two weeks running with no loss, just maintained.

Can't say I'm not a little disappointed considering I've still got quite a bit to lose. Had some nights out and family do's so that's not helped.

On the positive I've not gained any which is good.

On the negative my watches are a bit too big after losing around 2 stone
    It's good though that you've lost 2 stone :-)

Stagnating seems to be a common issue and can be caused because your body has adjusted to your reduced calorie intake. The fix is to cut back even more - sorry :-(

I went to my parents for a couple of days over the bank holiday which has NOT helped my diet at all :-( It's taking some effort to get back into the swing of things.

Master
    Stagnating seems to be a common issue and can be caused because your body has adjusted to your reduced calorie intake. The fix is to cut back even more - sorry :-(
    Thought as much. Maybe I need to up my exercise as well :-)

Just started on the diet shakes (exante) and here we go again, it's a vlc diet and means you need to drink at least four litres of water a day to avoid too much 'unpleasantness'.
    I'm 6ft and 19stone and as I've started competing again (veterans judo and bjj) I want to get down to a svelte 220lbs, I will post before and after pics if I succeed 🙏

Sent from my Moto G (4) using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Montybaber View Post
    Weigh in tonight, anothet 3lbs lost (total 40lbs) and slimmer of the month for second month running, fair to say I am not popular in that village hall

I take great delight in telling them how easy it is ;)
    I too went down the SW route starting mid Jan this year, I was 16.5 stone and set my target at 14 (wished I set it lower really) I reached my goal in 10 weeks and like you I had a couple of slimmer of month and 4 slimmer of weeks. Since then I've lost another 1.5stone and at 12.5stone now. I stopped going to the classes as I felt I could manage my eating (or my wife could!) without needing to go, also because I went well beyond my target I would have to pay.
    We continue with the healthy changes daily in the meals. I also run about 25 miles a week and cycle about 120miles.
    I use my fitness pal and my daily calorie balance rarely goes beyond 1200 calories once intake and output are worked out.
    The biggest benefit for me is ive been able to leave the gaviscon in the cupboard, night time reflux has gone and my digestive system feels loads better.

It's cost me a new wardrobe as I've gone from a 40 waist to a 32 but I'm not grumbling

I just now need to work on reaching a stable weight.

Some might find these relevant / useful:

Master
    To keep on track I've joined the gym today - aiming for 3 sessions a week to hopefully see some results.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pstruck View Post
    I would love to lose a few pounds but motivation and probably discipline is a struggle. This is not helped by the fact that I am not in the least bit sporty and the thought of going to a gym leaves me cold.

I am just about to turn 45, am 5ft 10 and weigh around 13.5 stone. I have been that weight for a few years now and it doesn’t seem to vary much, but then neither does my diet or activity level. I don’t think I’m massively overweight, but it sits on my belly and I am not happy with that. My work is mostly office (80% ish) based. I am finding I am always tired and lacking in energy. Two young kids, one of which is a very poor sleeper doesn’t help here, but I know that diet and fitness is a big part of it too. I just need to get of my lazy ass and do something about it!

I thought seeing my dad diagnosed with diabetes in his 60s would have helped with the motivation, which it did initially when I got into running three evenings a week. That didn’t last long though and our evening routine with the kids leaves little time to get back into it (or is that just a poor excuse). My wife is currently doing Slimming World and I eat the same SW meals as her each evening, but I am weak when it comes to snacking and eating unhealthily at lunchtime at work.

Maybe it's time I did something about it. Would love to be 12 stone and lose the belly!
    Hi,

Aged 38 I got a Fitbit, started walking lots and eating less. I went from 14 stone to under 11 (I am 5' 10" as well). To keep. The weight off I started running, first a 10k, then a half marathon followed by a full marathon.

Plan your exercise around your day and good luck!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashtons99 View Post
    I too went down the SW route starting mid Jan this year, I was 16.5 stone and set my target at 14 (wished I set it lower really) I reached my goal in 10 weeks and like you I had a couple of slimmer of month and 4 slimmer of weeks. Since then I've lost another 1.5stone and at 12.5stone now. I stopped going to the classes as I felt I could manage my eating (or my wife could!) without needing to go, also because I went well beyond my target I would have to pay.
    We continue with the healthy changes daily in the meals. I also run about 25 miles a week and cycle about 120miles.
    I use my fitness pal and my daily calorie balance rarely goes beyond 1200 calories once intake and output are worked out.
    The biggest benefit for me is ive been able to leave the gaviscon in the cupboard, night time reflux has gone and my digestive system feels loads better.

It's cost me a new wardrobe as I've gone from a 40 waist to a 32 but I'm not grumbling

I just now need to work on reaching a stable weight.
    That is an excellent result - well done 

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Chalet View Post
    Hi,

Aged 38 I got a Fitbit, started walking lots and eating less. I went from 14 stone to under 11 (I am 5' 10" as well). To keep. The weight off I started running, first a 10k, then a half marathon followed by a full marathon.

Again - excellent :-)

WEIGH IN DAY TODAY - 2lbs off! After two weeks of staying the same I've managed to see a nice drop. Now over 2 stone off and feeling motivated.
    Last edited by Devonian; 11th May 2017 at 07:57.

Quote Originally Posted by Chalet View Post
    Hi,

Just taking the same 'steps' myself and got a Fitbit Alta HR. Am going to be doing the corporate GCC 100 day challenge from the end of this month.\

Do you find walking was a big help? I've walked about 70 miles in the last couple of weeks and really enjoying it.

I am really envious at the discipline and results people are showing in this thread. Sadly I've not been so good but being told I have high cholesterol and uric acid today means I've got to get things sorted. To think how much I lost a few years back as well, its bloody disheartening but got to stop wallowing in self pity and get on with it.

I do the exercise (spinning, cycling, personal trainer etc) but eat crap and drink too much

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by senwar View Post
    Just taking the same 'steps' myself and got a Fitbit Alta HR. Am going to be doing the corporate GCC 100 day challenge from the end of this month.\

Do you find walking was a big help? I've walked about 70 miles in the last couple of weeks and really enjoying it.

I am really envious at the discipline and results people are showing in this thread. Sadly I've not been so good but being told I have high cholesterol and uric acid today means I've got to get things sorted. To think how much I lost a few years back as well, its bloody disheartening but got to stop wallowing in self pity and get on with it.

I do the exercise (spinning, cycling, personal trainer etc) but eat crap and drink too much
    Walking is the key, low intensity exercise burns fat and I can't keep the weight off just doing cardio!

Craftsman
    I have lost a stone in the last couple of months .i started walking a couple of miles round my local park most days and cut down on the crap i eat .its not much but iam feeling and looking a bit better .I would like to lose another 2 stone which would get me down to around 13.5 /14 stone .

Quote Originally Posted by Joe.K View Post
    Just started on the diet shakes (exante) and here we go again, it's a vlc diet and means you need to drink at least four litres of water a day to avoid too much 'unpleasantness'.
    I'm 6ft and 19stone and as I've started competing again (veterans judo and bjj) I want to get down to a svelte 220lbs, I will post before and after pics if I succeed 
    How is 220lbs svelte? I am 6' 1" and weigh 83kg (183lbs). I think a lot of these diets and schemes are validated to avoid the unpalatable truth, good shape takes effort & discipline.

Eat good.
    Work out your heart (doesn't have to be a gym).
    Only eat when you are hungry, if it's meal "time" and you are not, then don't.

Sveltiness is in the eye of the beholder ;0)
    I plan on going off to Brazil nevt year to compete in the masters/seniors bjj tourney, so 205 would be nice but at the moment it's good enough to just take (big fat) baby steps.

I've shifted nothing in the past 2 months - I started doing circuit training and badminton, and although the waist measurements are dropping, I'm still stuck fluctuating between 18-18.5 stone due to the muscle weight I'm adding. On the upside, I've gone from not being able to do a single press up to doing sets of 10 :)

You have to try the 100 press up challenge, you can download the free app and it really is an amazing and clever workout.
    I never made it past the mid 80's but it's a hoot.

Master
    Weigh in day today - 1lb off. Not much but going in the right direction.

Plus people are noticing it which is nice.

I've also started at the gym this week and it's amazing how after just one visit I kind of feel elated. If you, like me, having been stewing on it, just do it!

Master
    ^^^^^^
    Its the endorphin release, commonly known as Jogger's High. And like any drug the more you train the bigger the 'hit' and the more you want it

Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    ^^^^^^
    Its the endorphin release, commonly known as Jogger's High. And like any drug the more you train the bigger the 'hit' and the more you want it
    Yep. Running - or any other exercise that gives you a big chemical blast - is an addiction that's worth working on. I've always thought that the 'problem' with exercise for many people (me included until a few years ago) is that, like smoking, it can be unpleasant the first x times you do it – yet once you get into it you can't get enough.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesianbriggs View Post
    Yep. Running - or any other exercise that gives you a big chemical blast - is an addiction that's worth working on. I've always thought that the 'problem' with exercise for many people (me included until a few years ago) is that, like smoking, it can be unpleasant the first x times you do it – yet once you get into it you can't get enough.
    I've never experienced this. I spend all my time on the rowing machine counting the seconds until I can get off it! I can be an hour on the rower without experiencing any 'high'. Does this happen for ALL people or just SOME people?

Quote Originally Posted by MarkF View Post
    How is 220lbs svelte? I am 6' 1" and weigh 83kg (183lbs). I think a lot of these diets and schemes are validated to avoid the unpalatable truth, good shape takes effort & discipline.

Eat good.
    Work out your heart (doesn't have to be a gym).
    Only eat when you are hungry, if it's meal "time" and you are not, then don't.
    Im the same height as you, and feel very small at 221lbs, as I'm used to be heavier. I'm happy to drop a few more kg to get leaner, but I usually find it easier to put on more muscle and get leaner from that.

It's good though that you've lost 2 stone :-)

I went to my parents for a couple of days over the bank holiday which has NOT helped my diet at all :-( It's taking some effort to get back into the swing of things.
    Actually, the best thing to do would be to increase you intake a little, and up your activity. There are only so many calories you can drop. Most people feel much better eating a moderately higher food intake than the average person, and counteracting any potential fat deposits with more activity.

Thought as much. Maybe I need to up my exercise as well :-)
    Absolutely! You should try a combination of both. Sometimes, like summer, when you have more opportunity to be more active, then up cals and exercise a lot more, and do the opposite when you can't be as active.

At points last summer, cycling for many hours each day at the weekend we, between the group (male and female) were consuming betweeen 4000-7000 calories a day (Sat/Sun), and still losing weight!

Watching a few friends get ready for their next competitions, it's clear that eating higher calories and upping exercise leads to a better looking and more muscular physique.

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Actually, the best thing to do would be to increase you intake a little, and up your activity. There are only so many calories you can drop. Most people feel much better eating a moderately higher food intake than the average person, and counteracting any potential fat deposits with more activity.
    This. I've upped my intake from 1500cal to 2000cal and reintroduced some carbs on days I'm doing circuits because I just don't have the energy if I don't. Trying to do any sort of muscle work just wasn't happening at all without eating enough. That Michael Moseley diet is all well and good but it's absolutely not appropriate once you start factoring in strenuous workouts!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Still strugling here.
    Not with the diet but with the excersize.
    My hips do not support running, not even walking really so a bit of cycling is the answer.
    Unfortunately that is life threatening here and one relatively safe option is going to/fro school with my son. He has the schoolbag and a modern bike, I waste calories on a 1900s replica. He has been a bit sniffy though so prefers the bus :-(
    Motivation Petrus, motivation!! The sun is out here and the weather forecastis sunny till mid September. Now I positively HATE the beach but for some reason nude beach seems to be the fashion of this summer so I am dragged out there. By JOve does THAT make you self conscious about the Michelins around your waste!!!
    So, out on my own facing the idiot motorists.

Master
    Weigh in today. 1lb loss which feels a bit disappointing as I've put a lot of effort into the gym in the last week. Still at least it's a loss and I feel much healthier and active. On a positive more people seem to notice the change in my body shape.

Might seem a bit strange, but coming here and recording my results once a week seem to help.

Grand Master
    Download My Fitness Pal, then just input the foods honestly and don’t go over the cals and you will lose, its calories in calories out. No secret diet, pills, amazing workout just ‘Be good at the Basics’.

If you’re adding an exercise regime then don’t look at any scales for a month or two as you’ll be gaining lean muscle and losing fat so it might be appear the same figures, go purely on clothes fit and energy levels. When you’re down take a drink or do something do not let it get into your head and start eating junk as a ‘only the one'
    RIAC