closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: The motivation weight loss thread

Grand Master
    And eat good fat. Coconut oil and Advocado being my personal favourites.

Everything I fry is in coconut oil and I have it in my porridge and coffee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    RIAC

Master

The motivation weight loss thread

How does adding extra calories to your coffee help with weight loss?

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Essexman View Post
    How does adding extra calories to your coffee help with weight loss?
    Your body needs fuel to function. It needs fat. Your brain is about 60% fat so as an essential part of a daily calorie intake you need to make sure that the fat you take in is good fat. Stable fat. Fat that’s easy to use for energy.

RIAC

You also need to consume fats in order to produce a continuous amount of hormones, of all sorts, from thyroid to testosterone. Seriously low fat diets have been shown to lower testosterone quite dramatically - something us ageing men should try to avoid.

Adding good calories isn't a problem, consistently eating too many is the issue! Get the right amount of protein, get the right amount of fat, and then eat whatever else works best for you in order for you to remain compliant with whatever lifestyle/eating plan or whatever you like.

"dieting" is a short term fix, and ultimately doomed to failure - you can't just keep restricting calories all year round.

Find something that works, that includes the foods you enjoy eating, and get more active.

The real problem for most is that we become increasingly sedentary as we age. Just think how active you probably were in your 20's! I was only always doing something, and always active, and playing sports etc. - now I occasionally go to the gym!

As Kerry has said many times on these type of threads, calories in calories out.

Good luck to all for making positive changes in 2019!
    Last edited by Omegamanic; 28th December 2018 at 10:49.

Some great comments above, lots of good sense.

This guy is worth a look on; Insta, FB or YouTube: -

https://www.instagram.com/jamessmithpt/?hl=en

Language is a bit colourful but breaks it down with simplicity and good sense; oh and don’t be a ball-bag!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Your body needs fuel to function. It needs fat. Your brain is about 60% fat so as an essential part of a daily calorie intake you need to make sure that the fat you take in is good fat. Stable fat. Fat that’s easy to use for
    For weight loss (which is what this thread is about) I don’t think for most people adding to coffee and breakfast would help them with their goal ?

Yes I agree we all need some fat, and the types you mentioned are better nutritionally than others.

I believe sometimes suggestions and ideas need fully explaining (hence my question) so people don’t get the complete wrong end of the stick and go off at a tangent.

Example 1: lady at work was told to stop eating crisps and biscuits, swap to fruit and nuts to reduce her weight. She started eating dried fruit and nuts from the health food shop. Because it was “healthy “ she munched on it all day. One month later she was upset to find she had gained weight.
    She didn’t know dried fruits and nuts are calorie dense. She had unintentionally increased her calorie input.

Example 2: my GP advised a patient to eat “oily fish” 2 or 3 times a week as his cholesterol was higher than recommended. Six months later the patient (and GP) ware surprised to find his cholesterol was higher. Patient explained he had taken Drs advice and had eaten fish n chips three times a week.

Yes to James Smith on IG. The Gordon Ramsey of the fitness world.

Grand Master
    All very good points and agree people think nuts are good. Reality I eat no more than 25-30g of them a day. Measure that out it’s tiny.

Same as fruit. Only a few pieces a day.

As with all eating plans you find what works for you. I never stop eating stuff and easily dropped 15kg in 10 weeks. Now I’m trying to build lean muscle but keep body fat below 10% and again I never stop eating stuff just the right stuff to achieve the aim. If you deprive your body of fat it will hold on to fat so give it the right fat in the right amount and it’ll be happy burning.

Guy I’m helping at the minute tried every diet and fitness video alive for 10 years plus cycling and the gym. I’ve had him 8 weeks and he’s now 18lb lighter and muscle mass is building and he was the same in that he told me he ate only ‘healthy stuff’ !

RIAC

Done my usual overeating in readiness for January kick on.

Had a decent year but coming back from holiday only 1lb heavier seemed to give me a free reign to eat and drink what i want. Goddam it.

Anyway, doing coast to coast next year (aiming for July) so the motivation is there. Easy excuse but I like a beer to be fair. However, I'm looking forward to a month off drinking in January, haven't done this for a while

Grand Master
    Don’t worry too much about what you eat between Christmas and new year, worry about what you eat between new year and Christmas!
    RIAC

Don’t worry too much about what you eat between Christmas and new year, worry about what you eat between new year and Christmas!
    Haha - like that! True too.

Looking forward to my detox. Not so much the exercise - went for a ride last week and it killed me. Oh well, back on 4-5 days a week from tomorrow.

Craftsman
    As has already been alluded two there are healthy ways to loose weight but ultimately it doesnt matter what you eat as long as calories in are less than calories out. Broadly a deficit of of 500 cals a day equates to a 1lb a week weight loss.

I normally start on a set number of calories that I roughly calcuate to be my maintenance requirements and then monitor my weight on a weekly basis. If my weight is the same each week then if i want to reduce i need to reduce calories.

I have also utilised a nutritionist in the past. The diet plans they have given me have not been groundbreaking but I have found I just need to be accountable to someone as daft as that sounds! If i've paid for advice I make sure I stick to it otherwise whats the point!

A highly skilled in macros personal chef would be my number one extravagance if I was leading a multi-million/billionaire lifestyle - or at least one not based on my lemonade budget!
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Genta View Post
    As has already been alluded two there are healthy ways to loose weight but ultimately it doesnt matter what you eat as long as calories in are less than calories out. Broadly a deficit of of 500 cals a day equates to a 1lb a week weight loss.

I normally start on a set number of calories that I roughly calcuate to be my maintenance requirements and then monitor my weight on a weekly basis. If my weight is the same each week then if i want to reduce i need to reduce calories.

I have also utilised a nutritionist in the past. The diet plans they have given me have not been groundbreaking but I have found I just need to be accountable to someone as daft as that sounds! If i've paid for advice I make sure I stick to it otherwise whats the point!
    ^^^ spot on. I saw a nutritionalist and it was the best £80 I ever spent. She is amazing; not to mention a world champion body builder and qualified PT. If you are in Essex you’d do well to see her for sure.

Master
    Last year with my daughter now 5 years old I decided to put my mind to losing some weight I put on 4 years or so ago. I started May at 204 lbs. I am 6 foot 1 inch and had a 40 inch waist line. I decided to use boom bod initially to help me get in the flow of eating less and it certainly helped me mentally get around eating too much food. I know what I need to eat calories wise on average over a week to maintane and lose weight but just never did it. I go to the gym twice a week for 80 minutes doing various exercises. I run outside once a week (apart from November to jan) and on non gym days do 120 press-ups each morning in different positions. This is consistently going up in terms of reps.

From May to December I Manager’s to lose 17 lbs and am now 187lbs and lost 2 and 3/4 inches off my waist. Very pleased. Still have blow outs, still drink and don’t deny myself of anything. I hope to lose another 5lbs this year and settle at 182lbs then work more on fitness.

I hope others are achieving goals and happy with results. Here’s to 2019!

Dear god. Worse than I thought. Got weighed this morning and have put on 19lbs since October. Wow. Just wow. I suspect over half of that is during December but Christ that is disgraceful. And frighteningly unhealthy.

Back in the gym this morning. Dread to think how much worse it would have been had I not done a 15 mile ride yestersay and gone out last night (no booze at all).

Grand Master
    I can take on 2 more clients at end of January having discharged 2 guys who have nailed their goals within 3 months of coaching

RIAC

Master
    Happy new year to all.
    Been watching this thread with interest. It was helpful in losing weight AND maintaining it.
    December was relatively alcohol free. Holiday in Dubai included. I've been a bit naughty on my holiday and as a result weight has crept up to 66 Kgs-the heaviest in 1 year. I'm not worried. I now know I can get it back under 63 in a week or so!
    Was running after my boy and that brought into sharp focus how 'unfit' I am. Age doesn't help! I really have no excuse as there is gym literally next door. The problem is they only open at 0630 which is too late for me. Does anyone have any idea about a home exercise plan that I can use before hitting the gym for improving cardio endurance? Thanks in advance.

Grand Master
    Your body needs fuel to function. It needs fat. Your brain is about 60% fat so as an essential part of a daily calorie intake you need to make sure that the fat you take in is good fat. Stable fat. Fat that’s easy to use for energy.

It's the one area i struggle with in my eating, i'm not a big red meat eater, so chicken or tuna is what i tend to eat most, so quite lean, and with rice, veg, etc i'm not getting much there either. I do take some omega/fish oil supplements, but probably do need to start hitting something like peanut butter, if i could stand the stuff!

Craftsman
    It is as simple as reducing calories and you can do it all year/forever, of course there are times you go mad and then have to balance the cheque book. It's not all about exercise either, you can't tell someone who is severely overweight to "just go for a run" but it's great to be able to do more as you get lighter. Wearing a fitbit has helped me no end I aim to burn around 1500 calories more than I consume per day sometimes more, sometimes less

I lost over 9 stone last year, low carb and low calorie, back on it again post Xmas excess should be close to target by end of Feb which will be a nice round 10 stone down

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Liner33 View Post
    It is as simple as reducing calories and you can do it all year/forever, of course there are times you go mad and then have to balance the cheque book. It's not all about exercise either, you can't tell someone who is severely overweight to "just go for a run" but it's great to be able to do more as you get lighter. Wearing a fitbit has helped me no end I aim to burn around 1500 calories more than I consume per day sometimes more, sometimes less

I lost over 9 stone last year, low carb and low calorie, back on it again post Xmas excess should be close to target by end of Feb which will be a nice round 10 stone down
    That’s a huge amount of weight loss, what did your diet look like?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by zanderpants View Post
    That’s a huge amount of weight loss, what did your diet look like?

Intermittent fasting I eat from 10am-5pm plus Low carb in as much as I avoid but dont exclude them , not true "keto" as I found I can have around 100 grams of carbs per day and stay in ketosis (This is the secret for me as it switches off hunger), apart from that lots of eggs, meat, tuna and green leafy veg/salad but pretty relaxed.

Lots and lots of fluid, tea, coffee , plain water "little" diet soda as a treat

The weight gain was largely caused by illness/inactivity , had been ill for about 18 months and gained about 6 stone on top of a little holiday weight, pretty much constant headaches , breathing issues and little sleep all came to a head Xmas 2017 and was rushed to hospital but eventually got a diagnosis of a immune disorder and plan of action to control it

Xmas 2017 when I had double pneumonia my resting heart rate was about 117 bpm , its now 54 , my o2 levels were less than 80% now 95-96%, BP was 190/110 now is ideal , that was always the motivation, I'd be happy if I was 2 stone heavier with those figures but I truth I thought I was going to croak and that's a pretty good motivator

Just got back from spending two weeks in Barbados over Christmas and put on about 1.5kg

And I used the gym every other day!

Very difficult to keep it down when it’s all inclusive with amazing food and drink.

Luckily I can get rid of it fairly quickly so back on the concept2 rower and been watching the kettlebell thread to supplement.

Want to get from 79 to 76 kg over about 3 months if I can.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Liner33 View Post
    Intermittent fasting I eat from 10am-5pm plus Low carb in as much as I avoid but dont exclude them , not true "keto" as I found I can have around 100 grams of carbs per day and stay in ketosis (This is the secret for me as it switches off hunger), apart from that lots of eggs, meat, tuna and green leafy veg/salad but pretty relaxed.

Lots and lots of fluid, tea, coffee , plain water "little" diet soda as a treat

The weight gain was largely caused by illness/inactivity , had been ill for about 18 months and gained about 6 stone on top of a little holiday weight, pretty much constant headaches , breathing issues and little sleep all came to a head Xmas 2017 and was rushed to hospital but eventually got a diagnosis of a immune disorder and plan of action to control it

Xmas 2017 when I had double pneumonia my resting heart rate was about 117 bpm , its now 54 , my o2 levels were less than 80% now 95-96%, BP was 190/110 now is ideal , that was always the motivation, I'd be happy if I was 2 stone heavier with those figures but I truth I thought I was going to croak and that's a pretty good motivator
    Impressive, I am starting in a similar journey this year so hope I can be as successful as you!

Grand Master
    Often going from eating excessively or badly to eating normally and good will make a huge difference to those who have got into a rut/bad habits etc.

You need to have a golf bag approach to eating. Know your clubs and chose the right one for the hole. Mix it up but always stay consistent. Trust me I find it tough or have and even resorted to chewing a bit of chocolate and spitting it out just so I had the taste without the fat! Bit extreme.

Here’s an example of one of my days

Breakfast: 50g organic oats made with water, spot of cinnamon, and a
    Spoon of honey maybe some chai seeds on top.
    2 Quorn sausages with 2 poached eggs and a 1/4 advocado
    Black
    Coffee

Mid morning: Banana, blueberries, protein shake.

Lunch: chicken or turkey sandwich with brown rice 30g

Mid afternoon: 20g nuts

Evening meal: chicken or salmon with whatever following this template.

Drink water with lemon in during day and have at least a spoonful of organic cider apple vinegar.
    RIAC

Master
    2/3rds into January, how is everyone doing?

After a rough 6 months of illness starting with Labrynthitus and ending with shingles I’ve had to really address my health and weight.

I’ve gone back to fasting a couple of days a week (I like the discipline and the health benefits) and combining it with some great ideas on here with food choices and I’m down 10 lbs so far. Feel much better.

Big thank you for the motivation and tips everyone :-)

Started the keto diet 2 weeks ago. Down 5 kilos already and it's a pretty easy diet to follow as once you get over the initial sugar craving and accept that 20g net carbs a day is it then you realise that most good food has low levels of carbs anyway and the carbs are more of a filler.

5kg in 2 weeks! That’s pretty radical you’ve not lost a kidney or bollock along the way have you?!

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Started the keto diet 2 weeks ago. Down 5 kilos already and it's a pretty easy diet to follow as once you get over the initial sugar craving and accept that 20g net carbs a day is it then you realise that most good food has low levels of carbs anyway and the carbs are more of a filler.

Master
    I tried the Keto thing a few weeks ago and just got confused. Not sure if I just read too much info but trying to ensure you are actually in Keto and stay there seemed really complicated to get my fat/carb/protein levels right.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sjedwardz View Post
    5kg in 2 weeks! That’s pretty radical you’ve not lost a kidney or bollock along the way have you?!

If you have a lot to loose that’s quite easily doable. Much of it will be water retention to begin with but st the end of the day it’s still weight loss.

More importantly it’s great for motivation at the beginning which can be hard initially.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Im doing well diet and exercise wise. 4 mile walk in the countryside this morning before brekkie and I’m also logging everything I eat on the My Fitness pal app (barcode scanner has changed my attitude to food apps and it’s so simple compared to many years back)

I’m over the Sugar cravings rather quick. Similar to Kerry I cracked one day and picked up the kids chocolate that was hanging around. After having it in my mouth I was somewhat satisfied and spat the whole thing out which I was quite chuffed about since I’m a choccie addict

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
    Im doing well diet and exercise wise. 4 mile walk in the countryside this morning before brekkie and I’m also logging everything I eat on the My Fitness pal app (barcode scanner has changed my attitude to food apps and it’s so simple compared to many years back)

I’m over the Sugar cravings rather quick. Similar to Kerry I cracked one day and picked up the kids chocolate that was hanging around. After having it in my mouth I was somewhat satisfied and spat the whole thing out which I was quite chuffed about since I’m a choccie addict
    I had a lot of success with My Fitness Pal, the best thing if you are predictable in your menus eg similar breakfast it remembers these and makes adding foods much faster. Secondly it really rewards exercise as it offsets your food intake. You will be able to eat your four mile walk in food for a null calorie intake

Steve

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    I had a lot of success with My Fitness Pal, the best thing if you are predictable in your menus eg similar breakfast it remembers these and makes adding foods much faster. Secondly it really rewards exercise as it offsets your food intake. You will be able to eat your four mile walk in food for a null calorie intake

Steve
    Indeed Steve thats what I did. I downloaded the associated Map My Walk app and using the iPhone GPS it calculated my walk distance and knocked off an estimated 500 odd calories from the My Fitness Pal app which it links to. Quite cool.

I do love the apps memory of adding my usual foods etc and barcode scanning new food and brands. In my younger days I was too lazy to work out calories and macros by jotting down notes from the back of tins!!
    Last edited by kultschar; 19th January 2019 at 19:28.

So 4 weeks done on the keto diet and I'm 9 kilos down. All whilst eating food that keeps me feeling full. It does make me laugh that last night's dinner of a box of lamb doner meat and a large bag of pork scratchings is considered ideal although of course whilst it's vital to have a high amount of fat on this diet it should be good natural fats.

Because my body is now Ketogenic and burning fat instead instead of carbs for fuel I can have calorie deficits and not end up with a lower metabolism as the body has plenty of fat fuel to rely on. This is the reason why the advice to eat fewer calories than you expend in order to lose weight isn't the No brainer you'd expect as if you restrict calories long term on a carb based diet then your metabolism will slow to compensate and you'll end up not losing any more or putting weight on itself. This can be countered by eating lots of protein (to minimise muscle loss as muscles burn more calories so metabolism goes up) or doing weights. But easier still just go Ketogenic
    Last edited by ryanb741; 3rd February 2019 at 08:59.

Quote Originally Posted by zanderpants View Post
    I tried the Keto thing a few weeks ago and just got confused. Not sure if I just read too much info but trying to ensure you are actually in Keto and stay there seemed really complicated to get my fat/carb/protein levels right.

Really? As long as you use an app it's easy as it calculates your macros and you can record your food. Without an app forget it unless you are a maths genius

Master
    So 4 weeks done on the keto diet and I'm 9 kilos down. All whilst eating food that keeps me feeling full. It does make me laugh that last night's dinner of a box of lamb doner meat and a large bag of pork scratchings is considered ideal although of course whilst it's vital to have a high amount of fat on this diet it should be good natural fats.

Because my body is now Ketogenic and burning fat instead instead of carbs for fuel I can have calorie deficits and not end up with a lower metabolism as the body has plenty of fat fuel to rely on. This is the reason why the advice to eat fewer calories than you expend in order to lose weight isn't the No brainer you'd expect as if you restrict calories long term on a carb based diet then your metabolism will slow to compensate and you'll end up not losing any more or putting weight on itself. This can be countered by eating lots of protein (to minimise muscle loss as muscles burn more calories so metabolism goes up) or doing weights. But easier still just go Ketogenic
    Great going Ryan, not as much as you but I’m down a stone and feeling so much better already. Also feel motivated which is always the hard bit for me.

Master
    So 4 weeks done on the keto diet and I'm 9 kilos down.
    Great work. It would be interesting to see if you can maintain it once you get off keto diet. I tried it many years ago for a few weeks and lost an impressive amount of weight but it all came back afterwards. From what I have read, keto diet isn’t something one should stay on long term. I know someone who had gallbladder issues, apparently due to staying on a keto diet for too long but more likely due to not eating enough fresh vegetables to counter its undesirable effects. But then everyone is different...

I am a really bad eater (both quality- and quantity-wise) but 4 months ago replaced one of my meals with a fresh salad (mostly green leaves and cucumber with a boiled egg thrown in plus a tiny amount of beans) on the days that I don’t work out and a diet protein shake on the days that I work out. That coupled with increased frequency and distance of my runs has made me lose weight but very slowly (about 5 kilos in 2.5 months). The good thing is that despite weight loss, I am gaining muscle. Last time I checked, compared to the previous scan my weight had gone up and so had muscle mass but the fat mass had gone down. The net fat loss is greater than weight alone would suggest at regular weigh-ins. There is a noticeable difference in waist and recently bought jeans and trousers are now loose. Most importantly, I feel I have more energy and actually enjoy running and gym whereas previously while still very diligent and consistent, I dreaded every workout (especially running in bad weather). I have never been able to control my diet for this long before so it is sustainable for me because it’s just one meal where I have to be careful. I know ideally every meal should be balanced but currently I don’t have the will power to be that disciplined.

Quote Originally Posted by FK77 View Post
    Great work. It would be interesting to see if you can maintain it once you get off keto diet. I tried it many years ago for a few weeks and lost an impressive amount of weight but it all came back afterwards. From what I have read, keto diet isn’t something one should stay on long term. I know someone who had gallbladder issues, apparently due to staying on a keto diet for too long but more likely due to not eating enough fresh vegetables to counter its undesirable effects. But then everyone is different...

I am a really bad eater (both quality- and quantity-wise) but 4 months ago replaced one of my meals with a fresh salad (mostly green leaves and cucumber with a boiled egg thrown in plus a tiny amount of beans) on the days that I don’t work out and a diet protein shake on the days that I work out. That coupled with increased frequency and distance of my runs has made me lose weight but very slowly (about 5 kilos in 2.5 months). The good thing is that despite weight loss, I am gaining muscle. Last time I checked, compared to the previous scan my weight had gone up and so had muscle mass but the fat mass had gone down. The net fat loss is greater than weight alone would suggest at regular weigh-ins. There is a noticeable difference in waist and recently bought jeans and trousers are now loose. Most importantly, I feel I have more energy and actually enjoy running and gym whereas previously while still very diligent and consistent, I dreaded every workout (especially running in bad weather). I have never been able to control my diet for this long before so it is sustainable for me because it’s just one meal where I have to be careful. I know ideally every meal should be balanced but currently I don’t have the will power to be that disciplined.
    With Keto a lot of people mate the mistake of thinking they can eat cheese and bacon all day. Well yes you can and you will lose weight but you will be very unhealthy. So it's about getting good fats from olive oils etc.

Once the weight loss target has been achieved one increases the number of carbs in order to maintain weight. So pasta etc is back on the menu but just not every meal (unless you are a marathon runner etc). I still have quite a way tp go - I started at 133.4 kilos, am at 124.4 kilos with the first target being 105 kilos. At that point I'll increase carbs so as to have a gradual loss down to 100 kilos (am 6 foot and stocky anyway so the BMI target of 75 kilos is pointless to me as I'll be a lot more muscly than the 'twink' look that weight profile has

Master
    the BMI target of 75 kilos is pointless to me as I'll be a lot more muscly than the 'twink' look that weight profile has
    This is so true. I’m 5’11” so my “ideal” weight is around the 75kg mark as well. I have got down to 80 kilos but I’m now finding that weight loss is even slower because while I am losing fat, I am gaining a little bit of muscle too by carrying on what I’m doing (I won’t call it a “program” because I am not following any guidelines and don’t measure my calorie intake - just made some small changes). At the end of the day, it is more about reducing fat so I don’t care much about the overall weight number. It is a good cycle because constantly seeing results keeps me motivated and mentally it makes it easier to continue which continues the improvement.

The motivation weight loss thread

BMI is meant to reflect a population average not individuals. As an extreme my next door neighbour was classified obese based on his BMI and he is a professional footballer.

A better goal I have heard is your height in Cm minus 100 but of course with about 10% body fat.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    BMI is meant to reflect a population average not individuals. As an extreme my next door neighbour was classified obese based on his BMI and he is a professional footballer.

A better goal I have heard is your height in Cm minus 100 but of course with about 10% body fat.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Plenty of professional footballers are overweight though, being fit and being overweight are totally separate things, for the majority of the population BMI is fit for purpose, for a purpose of health its fit for purpose as well. The problem is that we all con ourselves , we all have a little voice in our heads that say "That's simply not accurate or achievable " and therefore we simply don't bother

Don't listen to that voice as no one knows whats accurate or possible for you my highest BMI was 45.1 its currently 26.1 , you really dont know whats possible until you try

Grand Master
    Never really followed BMI, i'm 24.3 going by that and i'm trying to put some weight on as i've not managed the increase in activity recently, so will soon hopefully be 'overweight' going by BMI, with a 30 inch waist!

Master
    I did a Boditrax scan at my gym on Sunday and according to that I now weigh 78.4kg. I'm about 5'11". It's been a long time since I weighed under 80. More importantly the fat has dropped to 18.6%. Sadly I don't quite look like the pictures that are associated with that fat percentage range but I am only thinking about it in relative terms so happy with the reduction. Muscle mass also dropped but only by a tiny amount so not too bothered. The biggest drop (and surprise) was in my metabolic age. My actual age is 41, at the previous reading the metabolic age was 38 and now showing 32! Don't know how accurate these figures are but I am happy with the direction!

Apprentice
    Actually the only thing that we all have to know is:
    Harvard's Healthy Eating Plate

All these diets - you just don't need them.

So 8 weeks into the Keto diet and I've gone from starting weight of 133.4kgs to current weight of 119.4 kgs. So that's 14 kilos (Well over 2 stone) in 8 weeks. It's been easy too once the initial diet adjustment happened and I rarely feel hungry.

So 8 weeks into the Keto diet and I've gone from starting weight of 133.4kgs to current weight of 119.4 kgs. So that's 14 kilos (Well over 2 stone) in 8 weeks. It's been easy too once the initial diet adjustment happened and I rarely feel hungry.
    Any booze allowed?

Quote Originally Posted by Toshk View Post
    Any booze allowed?
    Has to be low carb so gin and diet tonic, Prosecco, Champagne etc. Obviously no beer as that's basically liquid bread

Thanks Ryan

Master
    July last year I could barely manage 3 press-ups. It was shameful.

This week I managed 20 in one go.

Not a great achievement in the great scheme of things but a little victory for me!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Well done Estoril

I'm in desperate need of a kick start. I just can't get back into it. I've put about a stone back on (prob more) and can't keep yoyoing.

Supposed to be doing a Coast to Coast bike ride in July - so should be enough motivation.

Just annoyed that this time last year I was in a good position but here I am again back to the beginning. Sigh

Master
    Found this thread. So, in July 2017 I was 105kg, a 37" waist, a chest size of 46", had an average resting heart rate of 75bpm, and I was put on the NHS pre-diabetic programme as my HbA1C was at 47.5 (48 officially diabetic/insulin)... I was just unfit after a career sitting behind a desk in an office.

Started going to the gym, and for the first 12months I was religious in using the crosstrainer... initially 5minutes at level '3' had me seriously out of breath. By the end of 12months, I was happily doing 75min sessions at level 15!

I love food - my wife is a professional chef, and we both love cooking (we were both on MasterChef many years ago). I did not change diet, BUT I stopped drinking Diet Coke. Wow, what a difference that made too.

In Oct 2018 I ran my first 10k. Last month I ran a PB in the Cancer Research UK 10k in London. I'm currently averaging about 220km a month running, and mix it up with lots of weights/core/swimming. As of Feb 2019, I am now 82kg, a 32" waist, chest size of 42", an average resting heart rate of 48bpm, and the best news is that my HbA1C was measured twice in the past year at a steady 35: well below the 'normal' limit of 42. And I still eat the same!

So whatever your goals, go for it. It's possible!