closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1422232425 LastLast
Results 1,151 to 1,200 of 1236

Thread: The motivation weight loss thread

Further weight off, despite coffee and cake a few times over one weekend while travelling in the U.K. - but my steps were considerably increased, so I’d estimated that I had an extra 500 cals per day to actually enjoy, compared to when I’m at home :)

Now under 99kg!
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Further weight off, despite coffee and cake a few times over one weekend while travelling in the U.K. - but my steps were considerably increased, so I’d estimated that I had an extra 500 cals per day to actually enjoy, compared to when I’m at home :)

Now under 99kg!
    Keeping the fire burning with the walking can only do you good.

Great job. 👍

If you find your watches getting too big for your wrist, give me a shout 😉

Well done all. Great to see tales of the weight is coming off.

Todays weigh-in for me:

Weight lost at week 5:
    3.3kg

Weight still to lose:
    3.4kg

I suspect I am going to struggle more now as the 6 Nations kicks off this weekend. It is illegal to watch the games without beer and snacks, so a tough few weeks are ahead....

Master
    Weekly weigh in today and a 2lbs loss taking it to 12 lbs.

Nutra check makes it so much easier. I had a big family do at the weekend and didn’t go without, just made sure I was more disciplined in the week. So far I’m not finding it hard, or that I’m going without.

Craftsman
    Got a bad cold. Is it time to just listen to my body and not count calories? Feel rubbish and my body is demanding cookies!

That’s not your body talking, it’s your brain.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    That’s not your body talking, it’s your brain.
    That’s a great concept and very easy to understand. How can you tell when your body is talking rather than when your brain is talking?

The difference between need and want. We are addicted to sugar but we almost never need it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jeepie View Post
    That’s a great concept and very easy to understand. How can you tell when your body is talking rather than when your brain is talking?
    A great read is The Chimp Paradox by Dr Steve Peters ex psychologist to Team GB and Sky. He defines your brain as three segments Chimp Human and Computer. Your Human brain is quite content with say 1600 kcalories per day on your diet. However your chimp wants instant gratification and contentment. Hence drive for sugar, another biscuit etc. Certainly worth a read if not read already

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    A great read is The Chimp Paradox by Dr Steve Peters ex psychologist to Team GB and Sky. He defines your brain as three segments Chimp Human and Computer. Your Human brain is quite content with say 1600 kcalories per day on your diet. However your chimp wants instant gratification and contentment. Hence drive for sugar, another biscuit etc. Certainly worth a read if not read already
    Ooo thank you. Haven’t read that but I have heard about it from colleagues at work. I will give it a try. Thank you!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jeepie View Post
    Ooo thank you. Haven’t read that but I have heard about it from colleagues at work. I will give it a try. Thank you!
    Its a good read, certainly the first half is, the second gets very psychological:) . The book is about how we handle our emotions rather than say dieting per se. Its as relevant to driving or workplace conflict as it is to to self motivation. Its the motivation element Sky identified in the marginal gains concept. Highly recommended and it will certainly make you think.

Top tip though don’t as I observed a colleague once use the expression “ Im not discussing this any further with you as I realise Im talking to your chimp”.

Steve
    Last edited by higham5; 8th February 2022 at 18:29.

I have found this week very tough, so I am surprised to have lost anything at all this week.
    Feeling rather fed up, so I have been back on the beer/wine on the weekday evenings (as well as the weekend), so the snacks have taken a beating too.
    Very disappointed with my discipline.

Todays weigh-in for me:

Weight lost at week 6:
    3.6kg

Weight still to lose:
    3.1kg

Must try harder next week.

Master
    Are we all getting enough sleep? An extra hours sleep can help you lose weight.

(Warning - some swearing)

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CZxA8...dium=copy_link

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Maysie View Post
    I have found this week very tough, so I am surprised to have lost anything at all this week.
    Feeling rather fed up, so I have been back on the beer/wine on the weekday evenings (as well as the weekend), so the snacks have taken a beating too.
    Very disappointed with my discipline.

Todays weigh-in for me:

Weight lost at week 6:
    3.6kg

Weight still to lose:
    3.1kg

Must try harder next week.
    dont stress about it too much, sometimes we focus on the micro progress, day to day or week to week, when in reality we should focus on longer timescales. Weight loss will always have peaks and troughs, sometimes up, sometimes down (hopefully more downs that ups) but where you are in 3 months, 6 months or even a year is the real measure.

Getting to your weight target is like house prices, you'll get there with lots of ups and downs on the way!

Quote Originally Posted by Estoril-5 View Post
    dont stress about it too much, sometimes we focus on the micro progress, day to day or week to week, when in reality we should focus on longer timescales. Weight loss will always have peaks and troughs, sometimes up, sometimes down (hopefully more downs that ups) but where you are in 3 months, 6 months or even a year is the real measure.

Getting to your weight target is like house prices, you'll get there with lots of ups and downs on the way!
    Thank you!
    Overall I am quite pleased with my progress, so I just have to take a rough week with the smooth.
    As you say, its all about the long game...

Thank you!
    Overall I am quite pleased with my progress, so I just have to take a rough week with the smooth.
    As you say, its all about the long game...
    Very similar - usual routine interrupted, and crazy busy work week ( and some social work awards, and a team/moral building night etc.) resulting in cancelling gym sessions etc., but determined to get back to it over this week.

Keep it up!
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    If your car gets a flat tyre you don’t scrap the car.
    Change the tyre, get back on track, keep driving.

Master
    Very glad I'm not the only one...

Possibly noticeable by my absence from this thread last week after what I can only describe as a nightmare week, all as a result of going out for a few drinks on an empty stomach on the Monday evening only a few hours after I'd posted my most recent weigh-in here.

It was messy, very messy and by the time I'd arrived home it didn't matter how much of the extra large mixed doner and large chips I could eat (which wasn't a lot, I'll spare you the gory details) the damage was well & truly done. The following morning I had to go for a fry up, which if truth be told, I didn't really enjoy and that set the tone for the week which included a further 2 kebabs amongst lots of other very naughty things. By the time I was done my weigh-in on Monday 07/02 came in at 17 stone 2.5 pounds, that's a whopping 9.5lb more than I'd weighed the previous week!

I simply couldn't bring myself to post about it here because I knew I'd let myself down, and I take my hat off to those of you who have shared your struggles. I've found the last week quite tough but I am exceedingly pleased to report that I am now back to the 16 stone 7.7 pounds that I was on the Monday before last. This week isn't going to be easy, dinner out tomorrow night for Valentine's Day (yes I know it's today!) and something's in the offing for the weekend BUT I don't intend to make myself feel the same way I did last week all because I had too much to drink on an empty stomach - the irony.

Well done all, keep going!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MST View Post
    Very glad I'm not the only one...

Possibly noticeable by my absence from this thread last week after what I can only describe as a nightmare week, all as a result of going out for a few drinks on an empty stomach on the Monday evening only a few hours after I'd posted my most recent weigh-in here.

It was messy, very messy and by the time I'd arrived home it didn't matter how much of the extra large mixed doner and large chips I could eat (which wasn't a lot, I'll spare you the gory details) the damage was well & truly done. The following morning I had to go for a fry up, which if truth be told, I didn't really enjoy and that set the tone for the week which included a further 2 kebabs amongst lots of other very naughty things. By the time I was done my weigh-in on Monday 07/02 came in at 17 stone 2.5 pounds, that's a whopping 9.5lb more than I'd weighed the previous week!

I simply couldn't bring myself to post about it here because I knew I'd let myself down, and I take my hat off to those of you who have shared your struggles. I've found the last week quite tough but I am exceedingly pleased to report that I am now back to the 16 stone 7.7 pounds that I was on the Monday before last. This week isn't going to be easy, dinner out tomorrow night for Valentine's Day (yes I know it's today!) and something's in the offing for the weekend BUT I don't intend to make myself feel the same way I did last week all because I had too much to drink on an empty stomach - the irony.

Well done all, keep going!
    And its absolutely fine, we cant always control life, in a few weeks it will be half term, i've got things planned which will mean i cant go to the gym, i wont be at home so will be eating out, and to be perfectly honest i want a good time so i know my weight will increase, accepting that it is a good thing for me because i allow myself some leeway and then back to reality. Any lifestyle that you wont bore of is a good way for slow and steady weight loss, if you're not enjoying it you'll quit.

My weight fluctuates all the time but a steady downward trend over the long haul is what i'm looking for, if its there i'm on the right path.

As one person said to me, if you manage to lose 1kg a month, that's 12kg over a year. 1kg a month should be doable without too much strain.

Quote Originally Posted by Estoril-5 View Post
    And its absolutely fine, we cant always control life, in a few weeks it will be half term, i've got things planned which will mean i cant go to the gym, i wont be at home so will be eating out, and to be perfectly honest i want a good time so i know my weight will increase, accepting that it is a good thing for me because i allow myself some leeway and then back to reality.
    Speaking of which, I am not sure how to break it to you but half term is now...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Speaking of which, I am not sure how to break it to you but half term is now...
    i was wondering why it was extremely quiet dropping them to school this morning, they were waving erratically as i drove off, just thought they were excited for another school day

Master
    Another 2lbs loss for me at weigh in today. That’s 1 stone now this year and I went away for the weekend with some great meals too. Just monitoring what I eat to average around 2,000/2200 calories a day. Was a bit stricter earlier in the week, to give me some extra at the weekend.

The most important thing is I don’t feel hungry and I know it’s sustainable - previously doing 600 calories a day twice a week or cutting out carbs definitely works short term but it’s like ground hog day and eventually comes back on (or more).

Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    Weekly weigh in today and a 2lbs loss taking it to 12 lbs.

Nutra check makes it so much easier. I had a big family do at the weekend and didn’t go without, just made sure I was more disciplined in the week. So far I’m not finding it hard, or that I’m going without.

Master
    Another 2lbs loss for me at weigh in today. That’s 1 stone now this year and I went away for the weekend with some great meals too. Just monitoring what I eat to average around 2,000/2200 calories a day. Was a bit stricter earlier in the week, to give me some extra at the weekend.

The most important thing is I don’t feel hungry and I know it’s sustainable - previously doing 600 calories a day twice a week or cutting out carbs definitely works short term but it’s like ground hog day and eventually comes back on (or more).
    Well done sir that’s great going.

I would echo your comment about not feeling hungry. After six weeks of less snacking and much stricter weekday eating I definitely feel less hungry come late afternoon / early evening. Habit plays a big part for me I think

Other than a few snacks and a few too many weekend beers, I have had a half decent week this week. It certainly feels much better than last week, even if the weight loss was about the same(?).
    Slow and steady!

Todays weigh-in for me:

Weight lost at week 7:
    4.0kg

Weight still to lose:
    2.7kg

Well done all.
    It is great to hear how things are going - good or bad.

Master
    I've had a crap Feb so far, still at 17st 6lb so I've not put any on but not lost any more. That follows an ultra productive January with over a stone off. Covid put the brakes right on - no exercise and a week of comfort eating basically. Finding it hard to get back in the rhythm.

Quote Originally Posted by kevkojak View Post
    I've had a crap Feb so far, still at 17st 6lb so I've not put any on but not lost any more. That follows an ultra productive January with over a stone off. Covid put the brakes right on - no exercise and a week of comfort eating basically. Finding it hard to get back in the rhythm.
    I would take the lack of weight loss as a massive win if you have been poorly and also eating too much/not exercising.
    That's a pretty decent result as you aren't going backwards.

Master
    This is probably not going to be very popular here but early signs show this may be working for me so I’ll share…

I noticed my weight creeping up very slowly and scans at the Boditrax machine at my gym suggested it wasn’t water or muscle mass but fat, sadly. With job and personal life busier than ever, the discipline of weighing, scanning barcodes, even thinking about what I eat wasn’t going to work for me. After a race I saw a fellow running club member drink Huel meal replacement as I was gulping down my regular protein shake. Thought of giving that a go and ordered their high protein & low carb powder. Squeezing in lunch during weekdays is a struggle these days so that was the obvious choice of meal to replace with Huel. They recommend replacing 2 meals 5 days/week with Huel but knowing me, it wasn’t going to be sustainable so decided to go with just 1 meal during weekdays.

After 3 weeks, my overall weight has gone down, fat mass down, muscle & water mass up. I don’t know exactly how much because I didn’t scan right before starting the Huel diet. Today’s scan showed 14.7% body fat when I have consistently been in the 15.5%-16.5% range in recent months. Actual is likely more than 14.7% but it’s the direction that matters. I am inclined to believe this little breakthrough, after being in a rut for a long time, isn’t coincidental but something to do with replacing just 5 of total 21 weekly meals with Huel.

I don’t feel hungry until dinner and apparently it has the right amount of everything the body needs so in theory should be much more balanced than my regular lunches. The only time it felt inadequate was when I decided to run home from the office one evening. A ~25km run with ~200m elevation gain should be done after some carbloading, NOT on a low carb shake and a couple of portions of fruit. So all my fault and the last 5-7km were a struggle as a result - lesson learnt.

Let’s see if this improvement continues.

Master
    Weigh in day - another 2lbs. That’s 1 stone 2lbs in 6 weeks.

Very pleased with my results so far and it’s not too difficult. Nutracheck definitely helps a lot with the discipline.

Master
    I’ve been working in Sri Lanka for a few days so expect a bit of a poor week thanks to eating plenty of good Asian food on the go.

Back on it tomorrow though!

Haven’t quite managed to get back on track, but have high hopes of being on target by next Monday (family wedding in Belfast will interrupt this week/weekend too much until then).

Hope everyone is staying positive and making good/better food choices.

Craftsman
    Has anyone tried one of the Slimming World or Weight Watchers routes as my partner and I both want to eat less ‘junk’ type snacks and generally be more disciplined and thought of one of these options as a good motivator to do so?
    It sounds like an interesting methodology without food intake being too miserable if that makes sense.
    Any thoughts and comments gratefully received

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

You are fighting an addiction. Not to food but to eating. Those 2 are substitutes that will work on the scales but will do nothing against the habit so are doomed to fail. Fight the hard battle now, when you are motivated. It will be much harder when you have lost weight and achieved your results.

I've lost 23.5lb/10.6kg since 1 Jan. I cut out alcohol and bread in January and now only have a drink on a Saturday (and nowhere near as much as I did) and still am not having much bread (probably 3 times this month). Eating wise I've cut calorie intake and I'm fasting when I feel like it, which I do enjoy. It's helped retrain my mind about snacking and crisps/chocolate etc.

Exercise wise, I've signed up to the walk1000 miles challenge and have currently done 181.99 miles this year. I'm seeing a PT, do spinning and boot camp classes and still use my Peloton. New bike arrived this week as well so will be out on that as I train for the Coast and Castles South (Newcastle to Edinburgh) bike ride in July. Also bought a weight rack set from Aldi that comes tomorrow as want to do weights to Peloton/Youtube videos and wouldn't feel right doing that in the gym

Am I happy - well yes, but primarily no - because I shouldn't have got myself in that position. I've posted in here before and just seem to yoyo. All my fault. However, I'm now as low as I've been since August 2020 and have a target of 2st by end of April. Should easily do this.

Big thing for me is a mindset change on drinking. I've cut down hugely and see it as a treat if I have anything now. I've a long way to go, aim to lose 4st this year - new target given how well I've done, and I know I'll plateau at some point but will give it my best - but would be happy with 3st. Main motivation is getting back in clothes that were too small for me!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike2500 View Post
    Has anyone tried one of the Slimming World or Weight Watchers routes as my partner and I both want to eat less ‘junk’ type snacks and generally be more disciplined and thought of one of these options as a good motivator to do so?
    It sounds like an interesting methodology without food intake being too miserable if that makes sense.
    Any thoughts and comments gratefully received

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    I signed up with Slimming World for 3 months. For me complete waste of time and money. I actually gained more weight.

I really don’t believe they’re trying to help you lose weight. They are just a business trying to get you to spend as much money as possible and keep you tied in.

Also when I attended the weekly meetings I was the only fella there and the meetings are really heavily biased to woman.

Of course this is just my experience. Others mileage might vary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Weigh in day and another 2lbs loss. That's 1 stone 4lbs in 7 weeks. I'm hoping to go to Vegas in a couple of weeks and my goal was to lose 1 stone. Logging everything into nutracheck has been so easy and sticking to around 2,000 to 2,200 calories a day very straight forward. I average it out over the week so don't worry about nights out etc.

Master
    Checked again today at the gym - 5 weeks since replacing weekday lunches with Huel and 2 weeks since the last scan. Total weight down again, fat percentage further down and muscle mass up more. At 13.4%, fat is now back down to the lowest level I have ever seen since I started using this gym & scanning machine almost 5 years ago. Last time I was at this fat percentage was Dec 2020 when I was injury-free and at the peak of my fitness. It may be just a lazy/time-efficient way of having a low carb, high protein, balanced meal but Huel seems to be working for me. Before this, my weight and physique had plateau'd for a long time and then slowly started moving in the wrong direction.

Master
    Weigh in day and another 2lbs loss. That's 1 stone 4lbs in 7 weeks. I'm hoping to go to Vegas in a couple of weeks and my goal was to lose 1 stone. Logging everything into nutracheck has been so easy and sticking to around 2,000 to 2,200 calories a day very straight forward. I average it out over the week so don't worry about nights out etc.
    Bumping this fella for a bit of motivation! I managed to lose 1 1/2 stone in 9 weeks and had a fantastic trip to Vegas. All by just being sensible and monitoring what I ate via nutra check.

Been half hearted ever since (got covid a few weeks back and that knocked motivation for definite). Fortunately I’ve only put on a few pounds so kick starting things today to get back on track. A lot of things on this summer so want to make the most of it :-)

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Ive been having a go at losing a few pounds over the last few weeks.

purely calorie counting and nothing else, if it goes in the mouth I write down. 8lbs down in 3 weeks so quite pleased.

my old school pen and paper accounting

Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches View Post
    Ive been having a go at losing a few pounds over the last few weeks.

purely calorie counting and nothing else, if it goes in the mouth I write down. 8lbs down in 3 weeks so quite pleased.

my old school pen and paper accounting

50 calories for cake?
    Seems very low, did you just sniff it?

Master
    Decided to start losing weight when the scale hit 120kg.
    I stopped eating anything sweet and made my portion sizes little bit smaller.
    Basically don’t go back for seconds.

I’ve lost around 700-800g per week and today the scale showed 114,6kg.
    I’ll try and continue the same way.
    I’ll go to gym twice a week but might add one more day of training.
    Might need to eat some more if I do, but try to keep weight loss the same <1kg/week.

Hit 133kgs 3 weeks ago (yikes - that's heart attack stuff as I'm 181cms tall) and went back on Keto as that's the 1 diet that really works for me. This AM was 125 kilos so 8kg down in 3 weeks - yes half of that will be water but I'm still very happy and will continue on it. 1kg loss a week is the goal moving forward.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    50 calories for cake?
    Seems very low, did you just sniff it?
    Literally 1 mouthful. (Half a Cadbury cake bar)
    Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

Craftsman
    That’s what I like An accountability partner. Good stuff!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow.
    Absolutely top marks for restraint there!!

I would have to eat the entire packet - which is why I cant have treats of any kind in the house when I am trying to lose weight.

Great effort.

Master
    Huel Black Edition for lunch 5 days a week is continuing to reverse my weight gain. From memory, I have lost about 4.5kg in just over 3 months. Most of it fat loss according to gym scanning machine. It’s not as quick a loss as some others are reporting but being an endurance runner and regular gym-goer, I consume A LOT of carbs at other times. At 180cm I’m OK with 73kg, although losing a couple of more kilos of fat would be great. Not easy with my pretty wild diet (other than weekday lunches that is).

Little bump. Caught quite a bad case of covid a few weeks ago which validated two things for me. 1. It definitely isn’t the flu. 2. I need to sort my life out re weight.

I’ve cut out all fizzy drinks unless out to eat (I don’t drink), do not snack on cereal/health bars, only fruit, and haven’t had chocolate or junk at all in two weeks.

I don’t really think I’ve lost any/much weight yet but my energy levels are completely different, I’m getting tired at the right time in the evening, I’m sleeping much better, and I’ve noticed a big difference in bloat which I guess you could call general inflation. My face isn’t puffy or swollen in the mornings and I have a bit more room in my clothes. Stomach and waist being the most notable.

Can’t do any exercise at the minute apart from local walks to the high street and such but once I’m able to I’m going to back on my bike. The junk and lack of movement combo really isn’t worth it.

You're doing the right thing and the initial signs are really good. The first few days of giving up sugary things are the hardest but then you don't get that sugary taste in your mouth and the craving. I was eating a piece of chocolate every day for about 3-4 months. It didn't really affect my appearance as I was doing enough exercise to burn it off but I hated the fact that I had to have chocolate every day. I gave it up in January - the first two days were the hardest when I really wanted it, but then it became easier and now I'm not tempted even though the choc from Jan is still in the fridge!

If you can, try to really limit fizzy drinks or drinks with sugar to a minimum and be careful with the amount of fruit you eat. Yes, fruit is good for you but also contains sugars which need to be burned.

Walk as much as you can. The body loves movement. Anything that gets you moving will help. Obviously I'd recommend some sort of resistance training too, even if just push ups or modified push ups. Light dumbbells would also help in the beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Little bump. Caught quite a bad case of covid a few weeks ago which validated two things for me. 1. It definitely isn’t the flu. 2. I need to sort my life out re weight.

I’ve cut out all fizzy drinks unless out to eat (I don’t drink), do not snack on cereal/health bars, only fruit, and haven’t had chocolate or junk at all in two weeks.

I don’t really think I’ve lost any/much weight yet but my energy levels are completely different, I’m getting tired at the right time in the evening, I’m sleeping much better, and I’ve noticed a big difference in bloat which I guess you could call general inflation. My face isn’t puffy or swollen in the mornings and I have a bit more room in my clothes. Stomach and waist being the most notable.

Can’t do any exercise at the minute apart from local walks to the high street and such but once I’m able to I’m going to back on my bike. The junk and lack of movement combo really isn’t worth it.

Sugar is nearly always the culprit with lack of fat loss, but it's easy to forget that your brain runs on it, so keep the cut sensible or you'll just relapse.

If you are weight training I wouldn't focus on weight loss, as you might actually be putting muscle on.

The mirror doesn't lie but sometimes you will be more bloated or lean due to water retention, the key is consistency, it's usually a long journey (6+ months) to tangible changes.

You probably know that protein keeps you full and doesn't have a lot of calories, so when you're hungry, sometimes a protein shake is all you need. It's worth trying a range of shakes as some of them genuinely taste like medicine.

Lastly, sometimes the feeling of hunger is due to dehydration, so drink enough of water.

Nearly 2 stone loss for me since early May, salads, skipped snacking and cut out breakfast which was no issue. Never felt so good, ironically my bad back has flared up and im hobbling like a 90 year old but hey

12.5kg down since Oct last year, not as much as i was hoping however seen significant improvement on major compound lifts ( squat dead’s and bench as well as ohp) and feel fitter when playing 5 a side and generally more energy.

Another 10kg left to lose before I hit my target - aim is to lose it over the rest of the year.

Deload week this week then back to the gym with a bag full of sbd accessories because shopping after a few cheat day drinks has consequences lol.