closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223
Results 1,101 to 1,112 of 1112

Thread: The motivation weight loss thread

I weigh-in each Friday, having started to eat more sensibly and cut out beer on weekdays (or at least try to) since the 4th January.
    I am aiming to lose 0.5kg/wk.

Weight lost at week 3:
    1.7kg

Weight still to lose:
    5.0kg

Keep going all!

Hoping I can tap into the collective knowledge base here.

As I approach 40 in a couple years I have started working on looking after my body after almost 2 decades of abuse from food, wine and thinking Iím invincible in my 20s early 30s when it comes to warming up treating injury etc.

My target is to lose 20k over the next 12 / 18 months - however this is not straight weight loss a bit of body recomposition in terms of lean muscle strength etc.

My work out is generally gym 3/4 times a week focusing on weights 3 x 8 -10 reps or failure if an easily ďescapableĒ movement , Iím not brave enough to go to failure on the bench - ha.

And started playing 1/2 games of 5 a side a week

Diet wise Iím at about 1500 cals per day aiming for 50% from proteins.

My frustration is that I am struggling to loose weight in a consistent manor so wondering if there is something Iím doing wrong.

Ideally Iíd like to loose .5 - 1kg a week at a steady rate rather than now where I can loose 2kg one week and gain .5 the next.

Any tips welcome

Muscles are heavier than fat. If you build up muscles you will gain weight.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Journeyman
    Iíve read a very interesting book called ĎWhy We Eat (Too Much)í. One of the points that stuck with me is the fact that crash/low calorie diets are not good for long term success.

While you may lose a lot of weight short term. Keeping it off long term will be a constant struggle.

The reason for this according to the book is that you have a weight set point. This is derived by genetics/upbringing/lifestyle.

If your body is used to eating a lot of food, you will have a high set point. And so when you go on a low calorie diet, your mind and body will do all it can to hold on to calories. This means slowing down your metabolism and the feeling of constant hunger.

Your body wants to maintain its set point, so makes it hard to burn fat and your body will try to retain any calories coming in.

The only real way for long term success is to lower calories gradually and taking up resistance training to build muscle which will increase your metabolism as muscle is an active tissue.

As a lifelong yo yo dieter, this approach makes more sense. As I have gone on crash diets only to put more weight back on than I lost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Linc View Post
    I’ve read a very interesting book called ‘Why We Eat (Too Much)’. One of the points that stuck with me is the fact that crash/low calorie diets are not good for long term success.

While you may lose a lot of weight short term. Keeping it off long term will be a constant struggle.

The reason for this according to the book is that you have a weight set point. This is derived by genetics/upbringing/lifestyle.

If your body is used to eating a lot of food, you will have a high set point. And so when you go on a low calorie diet, your mind and body will do all it can to hold on to calories. This means slowing down your metabolism and the feeling of constant hunger.

Your body wants to maintain its set point, so makes it hard to burn fat and your body will try to retain any calories coming in.

The only real way for long term success is to lower calories gradually and taking up resistance training to build muscle which will increase your metabolism as muscle is an active tissue.

As a lifelong yo yo dieter, this approach makes more sense. As I have gone on crash diets only to put more weight back on than I lost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Genetics, lifestyle and upbringing is only part of the story ... The gut microbiome is seldom mentioned but it is of more importance than an individual's genes ... identical twins with same genes and lifestyles and diets can have vastly different weights

https://lizearlewellbeing.com/health...ng/diet-myths/. ... worth reading including the links and video therein
    Last edited by sundial; 21st January 2022 at 13:44.
    "After a certain age you got the face you deserve I think" ... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Another 2lb off this week. 9lb off since Christmas now, hopefully another 1.5 stone to go if I am committed for another 3 months or so. Keep going all .

Master
    17st 10 today, that's 2lbs off a stone lost this year, hoping to hit that by the end of the month.

I've joined the "map my run" 1022km challenge and currently in the top 20% of participants just from a dozen or so good walks. The app is called map run but it's an excellent walking aid, recording steps, elevation, pace, calories burned etc. I don't leave it on through the day recording every step I take, just my daily "proper" walk which is usually around 5km.

Keep going everyone! It's been a tough week where weight loss is concerned for me...

The fry up I had on Monday set me off to a bad start (my own fault I know) and then a frenetic few days in the office led to a much needed bit of light decompression in the pub on Friday evening. The first 2 pints didn't even touch the sides and a succession of different colleagues popping over from the office led me to lose count and I think I had 4-5 pints. Fortunately I didn't give in to a takeaway on the way home and had dinner as normal. However, I did succumb to chocolate later in the night

None of the above was helped by intermittently checking my weight on the scales and not seeing any change from Monday morning, this is precisely why I shouldn't weigh myself daily!

With Friday evening's drinks in mind I have stuck to my calories since but felt myself wavering, particularly this morning. Sunday's usually mean a home cooked breakfast; albeit a healthier one, and today is Mrs. MST Senior's birthday so there will be cake and as we're currently carless have pre-ordered dinner on Deliveroo. The kids have voted for Wagamama, which isn't the end of the world calorie wise. If I save my piece of cake for tomorrow I should be OK.

All in all I'll be glad to get tomorrow's weigh-in out of the way and am hoping that I've achieved something.

Yes - exactly, and I know the tempation is great but one of the best things you guys can do is not to jump on the scales all the time. If you're following a sensible eating plan and getting regular exercise you will lose weight but also, your shape will change. That's why I would recommend some sort of resistance training - bodyweight stuff is great - push ups (you can start these on your knees if you find them difficult and gradually extend until you get to a full push up), all types of lunges, squats, etc. Add in a set of dumbbells and you can do a myriad of exercises to actually develop muscle tone. The best indicator of how you're doing is not the scales but by how you fit into your clothes. If you become fixated on how much you weigh you'll never get a true picture of how you're improving or where you need to improve.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Muscles are heavier than fat. If you build up muscles you will gain weight.

Well that was a resounding success, believe it or not I was getting a bit anxious about having Wagamama for dinner with weigh-in looming but I needn't have worried...

I've just put away:-

Shu's Shiok Chicken (full serving)
    2 x Tama Squid Balls
    1 x Hoisin Pulled Duck Bun
    1 x Korean BBQ Barbecue Beef Bun
    1 x Chicken Gyoza
    1 x Pulled Pork Gyoza

We also ordered Chicken Yakitori but I skipped these, not that it's made much of a difference as I'm full as an egg. I try as best I can to be as accurate as possible so I weighed what I ate and inputted the figures into Nutracheck rather than going with the generic serving sizes in the app (I wouldn't do this if I wasn't eating at home). That little lot came out at 1,121 kcal and with everything else that I've had today I'm left with just enough to have a cup of tea before bed - I'm honestly quite chuffed!

2lb down to 16 stone 10.75 pounds this morning, which I'm more than happy to take based on the previous week. I have Nutracheck set for me to lose the maximum it will allow, 2lb per week as this is what it considers to be healthy and sustainable weight loss.

Very pleased with that!

Quote Originally Posted by j17ykp View Post
    Hoping I can tap into the collective knowledge base here.

As I approach 40 in a couple years I have started working on looking after my body after almost 2 decades of abuse from food, wine and thinking Iím invincible in my 20s early 30s when it comes to warming up treating injury etc.

My target is to lose 20k over the next 12 / 18 months - however this is not straight weight loss a bit of body recomposition in terms of lean muscle strength etc.

My work out is generally gym 3/4 times a week focusing on weights 3 x 8 -10 reps or failure if an easily ďescapableĒ movement , Iím not brave enough to go to failure on the bench - ha.

And started playing 1/2 games of 5 a side a week

Diet wise Iím at about 1500 cals per day aiming for 50% from proteins.

My frustration is that I am struggling to loose weight in a consistent manor so wondering if there is something Iím doing wrong.

Ideally Iíd like to loose .5 - 1kg a week at a steady rate rather than now where I can loose 2kg one week and gain .5 the next.

Any tips welcome
    Not sure how much you weigh, but losing 20kgs sounds like a lot, and sport potentially 6 times a week combined with only 1500 calories a day sounds extremely challenging.

The long time frame works in your favour, but I'd think about trying to see it as a change to your lifestyle, rather than a list in numerical targets.

Might be worth trying to find 30mins a week for some stretching or yoga, as good flexibility really helps mitigate against the muscle/tendon/ligament injuries that 5 a side with throw up as you get into your 40s, and most blokes ignore this

Sent from my M2101K7BNY using Tapatalk