closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 16 of 25 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: The motivation weight loss thread

I can’t do 0% beers/wine. It just defeats the object completely for me. I’d rather have cordial, a Diet Coke, sparkling water or something similar if I’m going alcohol free :)
    It's just a matter of time...

The end of week 2 of the Keto diet (otherwise known as the 'Let's lose weight by getting scurvy' diet) and I have lost a further 2.6 kilos and am now at 123.9 kilos. I started 2 weeks ago at 130.3 kilos, ended up at 126.5 kilos after week 1 and 123.9 kilos today after 2 weeks. That is a total loss so far of 6.4 kilos (just under a stone) in 2 weeks, or 5% of my starting bodyweight.

I have been very disciplined on it, with a minimum of 1000 calorie deficit per day (often more as I end up not eating my allocated calories even then), not even remotely hungry (as body is burning fat for energy anyway so isn't starving) and whilst week 1 would have seen a lot of water weight lost week 2 would be quite a bit of fat.

So I'm pleased thus far. Regrets are lack of exercise opportunities - I've been unable to get more than about 6k steps in a day and when I did keto 1st time round I was doing 20k steps a day and once I get down to around 110 kilos (would take a couple more months I reckon) the aim is to start running (my apartment is in a park on the Thames plus Bushy Park and Richmond Park are both less than 1 mile away).

As stated before this diet is something I will be on until June, at that time I will move onto something more sustainable for the long term. I do find keto to be a pretty expensive diet if I am honest - plenty of meat for protein and even the veg that are compliant for the diet costs more than normal veg (Tenderstem Broccoli is ideal).

Booze is possible (Gin and Slim, Prosecco, Champers etc) however I've not touched a drop since New Year's Eve and don't miss it (wife doesn't drink and we never have wine with meals etc). The other thing about keto is it is a very individual diet - I end up cooking just for myself and eating alone as my wife and son are (very reasonably) not on this diet. So it is a bit of a faff making multiple meals but it is what it is.

My weight tends to creep up gradually until it reaches a point where I decide to turn it back again. Simply if I take my eye off the ball it creeps up again, so I am a classic weight gain/weight loss muppet. To give you an idea it got up to 90kgs in 2009 living in Paris and indulging in amazing food and lots of after work wine and cheese boards. I then got it down to 80kgs in 2010 by very healthy eating and lots of running. I held it at about 80 kgs for a couple of years then started a new job back in the UK commuting by car and with a beige food staff canteen. My weight shot up to 88kgs by 2012 at which point I took up road cycling with some work mates. I got it to drift back down to 80kgs as the cycling hobby ramped up and I gave up the staff canteen. Then by 2015 it crept back up to 85kgs partly due to a very stressful time at work and a bit of boredom with cycling. In 2016 I went on 6 months gardening leave (which extended to 12 months) following redundancy, and my wife also took up cycling. She hit it hard as she is a fit ultramarathon runner. Within 6 months she was racing for a club and convinced me to train with her to cycle up Ventoux, Alpe d’Huez and Col de la Madeleine. I trained very hard, with hours of hill sessions on a turbo as well as hundreds of miles a week, and got my weight down to 72kgs by July that year. I flew up the mountains in August but some people did say I looked ill rather than healthy and should “eat a few burgers” . Since then I had held my weight at around 80kgs with a bit of care over lunches and maintained cycling. Thenl ock down and working from home struck last year, which involved lots of home made bread and cakes. I was 88kgs when I weighed 10 days ago, almost my heaviest ever. So I’m back into a healthy eating, longer dog walks and more cycling/turbo training. I have a good mate/fellow cyclist who also ballooned last year and the two of us motivate each other with regular text check ins and a weekly text of our weight. Anyway, in 10 days I’m back to 85.5kgs and should be back to 80kgs in a couple of months. Long post but just a bit of solidarity, I’m one of those who very easily gains weight the moment I stop thinking carefully about what I am eating. However, I do take action and know how to lose it again. My father and two brothers are all very overweight as they don’t take any action to address it. At least I do something about it even if it goes through phases.

Craftsman
    Over the past 3 years I’ve lost 4st - going from 14st to 10st. The purchase of an Apple Watch worked for me, motivating me to exercise. I reviewed my diet, eliminated processed foods, went vegetarian Monday to Thursday, abstained from drinking Monday to Thursday, reduced carbohydrates, adopted Pilates, yoga, aerobic workouts and walking. Over time to adjust and still have treats like chocolate and biscuits, just moderated levels.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    Two months ago we received the key to our new house. I am retired now. Working in the house, the workshop and the garden has resulted in a 10 kg weight loss, combined with a DIY low-carb dieet. My telephone 'told' me that I did 6K steps every day for 4 days when installing new electrics in my workshop between Christmas and NY.

But there's more: I avoid rice, pasta etc. and I don't eat processed products like bread from a supermarket or ready-to-eat food anymore. All the bread I still eat (2 slices/day; whole wheat) comes from an artisan bakery. Furthermore, I try to shift to a more vegan lifestyle. Less meat; vegan 2 or 3x per week. You don't need to go full throttle on keto or paleo, but a lot of recipes is really tasty (and an other handful is disgusting...). I'm not into alcohol, so I didn't need to quit that. I don't drink coffee (anymore), only decaffeinated tea and water.

I'm currently in a belt-AND-braces situation if you know what I mean. The lockdown makes it impossible to go out and try & buy new pants - Being busy all day makes it easier: I'm mostly in a coverall or one of those hillbilly American coveralls all day.

Next month, I'm attending a one-day-certified-course 'How to operate a chainsaw'. It's mandatory to show up with full chainsaw gear. Which is a good thing. I think I'll wait as long as possible before buying that gear!
    Last edited by thieuster; 17th January 2021 at 11:46.

Blog Entries
    I’ve gone from 13.5 stone to 11.5 since August. Mixture of cutting out all rubbish, I was a big crisp and chocolate fan. Exercise and taking to 1250 cals a day. Hard for the 1st 2weeks but then became much easier. I now back to full calorie intake and weight is steady so all good. Feel better for it

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I explained to my partner yesterday that I’d like to try the Keto thing because people seem to report good results early on which is motivational for me.

I shared the list of bad things and the list of good things. I also put my beer chiller/ compressor into cleaning mode and started the cycle to clean everything so that it’s out of use whilst I adhere to the plan.

This morning I got bacon, egg, beans, toast brown sauce, etc. With double expresso followed by tea. This will power stuff is tougher than I anticipated.

Sounds good. I’ve just had 2 sausages, 2 bacon, 1 egg, beans, toast, coffee, and a small glass of orange juice earlier. Almost a perfect breakfast for me - at least taste wise, and I have similar at least once a week.

Keto works best in the first 10-14 days, when all you are doing is reducing the amount of water in your cells - after that, the only possible way it continues to work is by a calorific reduction, or energy expenditure increase. Regardless of any ketogenic effects. You are constantly laying down more fat and burning fat throughout each day - that’s just life.

Also worth noting that a lot of people in the gym complain of painful joints/tendons when they start reducing there water from carb reduction.

For me, it’s all about picking a workable, social, easy to adhere to plan that you can live with. Not something that you smash or endure for a few months or so., and then relax it, or revert back to old habits - just go straight to the long term eating plan, and take a little longer to achieve your goal - you’ve got the rest of your life, not a 12-26 week transformation for the sake of it.

1250 calories a day wouldn’t even hit my absolute minimum intakes for protein and fat, and for me doing that and then going back to eating healthier, mid to long term, would lead to me being a lot less muscular and a lot fatter. That’s exactly the scenario with yo-yo dieting and has been proven to be the worst possible way to diet. It’s highly unlikely that you are carrying too much muscle, and as you age you lose muscle mass, and with it the ability to eat more calories - it’s so counterproductive I just can’t comprehend why anyone would want to incorporate into their plans/routines.

As an example I burn 1000 calories in an hour on a cross trainer!

Can't understand why people would only have one egg unless it's with steak and chips or inside a burger. Two if fried and three if scrambled, please. Anything less is a tease!

On week 2 of trying to shift the weight gained in 2020 and even more

So far dropped 5.2kg I’m sure most of that is from being overly bloated from the festive period.

Here’s hoping to a 21kg drop in 2021!

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Can't understand why people would only have one egg unless it's with steak and chips or inside a burger. Two if fried and three if scrambled, please. Anything less is a tease!
    In my defence, I’m completely isolated to my home for a period of 21 days - just over a week completed now - I’m fully reliant on family/friends to drop off food parcels from a safe distance, so I can’t get too extravagant with my use of the eggs (or anything else being rationed) in the house - the missus needs a few eggs for baking apparently (FFS arrgghhh - that’s not going to help with fat loss )

These days I prefer to add egg whites to whole eggs for things like scrambled and omelettes - two chicks in Tesco and other supermarkets is just super convenient. I tend to go between a whey isolate, banana and oats shake; or an egg white omelette, with one whole egg, cheese, ham, tomato, peppers and sweet onion relish; or a take on a full English at least twice a week. Each option has a min 70g protein, but the cooked breakfast is around double the calories of the other two options.
    Last edited by Omegamanic; 17th January 2021 at 16:43.

Why are you isolating for 21 days mate? Covid-related I presume? Or are you under house arrest?!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    Why are you isolating for 21 days mate? Covid-related I presume? Or are you under house arrest?!
    Very loosely Covid related, but it is a house arrest, for any one returning to the jurisdiction (I won’t go into why I was forced to be returning resident, but...). . If I leave the house (with the exception of the garden wearing a mask) I face a prison sentence of up to 12 weeks (quite a few people have already received 6+ week sentences), and a fine up to Ł40,000. So I’ll be a good boy and stay inside ;)

Wow that’s a tough regime. Don’t go too mad!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    Wow that’s a tough regime. Don’t go too mad!
    I think it helps to be a little crazy to begin with, as then you don’t notice it so much...

But, I must admit I’m feeling the detrimental effects of this lockdown a little more being in isolation and unable to go for a long walk in the country, or a cycle or similar. I’m watching my eating, albeit also slowly finishing off a lot of the Christmas/New Year snacks and hamper goodies. Doing a minimum of my daily 40-50 press-ups each day, and it’s surprised me how much energy you can use up with housework ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    In my defence, I’m completely isolated to my home for a period of 21 days - just over a week completed now - I’m fully reliant on family/friends to drop off food parcels from a safe distance, so I can’t get too extravagant with my use of the eggs (or anything else being rationed) in the house - the missus needs a few eggs for baking apparently (FFS arrgghhh - that’s not going to help with fat loss )
    Ha, I know what you mean. I had three eggs out earlier and two tomatoes but one tomato was taken off me as we don't have a delivery until Friday.

Hopefully your time at home passes soon enough. At least it isn't summer, could be worse.

Master

The motivation weight loss thread

It’’’s happening ...
    Last edited by Boss13; 18th January 2021 at 22:04.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Day 2 for me with 0.6kg gone.

Currently 103kg.

I have a diet and regime that works as managed to get down to 89kg a few years back so thats my target but this time I plan to not return to crazy habits.

Low carb but not hardcore with plenty of exercise does the trick. Chocolate is my weakness

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    It’’’s happening ...
    I feel so ashamed looking at this.

I ate TWO burgers (son changed his mind ) and a portion of chips for dinner today. Now I have cravings for something sweet.

Got to make changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    It’’’s happening ...
    To be honest al dente broccoli, carrots and peas&sweetcorn with a nice gravy is actually one of my faves. When I’m trying to lose weight I try and fill up like that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Two weeks in and 4kgs lost. My mate is doing it at the same time and he has quite a lot more to lose than me. He hit it hard for first 2 weeks eating mostly salads and veg, intense turbo training every day and managed to shed 7kgs. We all have our weaknesses - I still have a couple of squares of chocolate a day which is a lot less than I would normally stuff into my face, he said he still has a small handful of dry roasted peanuts a day. They are his killer, he normally eats kilos of the things hence the weight gain!

Master
    It’s not a race. Slow and steady. Not point making drastic changes you can’t keep to.
    We all have a diet, it’s what we regularly eat week after week. I found substituting items in my usual meals made enough calorie deficit.

Master
    Question for any of you scientific types (as I've not got a clue).

My TDEE is around 2,750 per day - which my basic understanding is that that's what my body uses a day to stand still so to speak. I do around 15,000 steps a day and my Fitbit tells me I use around 3,500 calories a day. I get that my Fitbit is probably not accurate so I estimate that I'm using around 3,000 calories a day to be on the cautious side.

I'm not doing this currently but curious if this is right - Is it as simple as 3,000 calories used a day - say 1,500 calories eaten = -2,000. Multiple that by 7 = 14,000. Divide by 3,500 (what it takes to lose a 1lb apparently) = 4lbs loss in a week.

Also would that work if say you ate 1,000 calories a day for 5 days a week and then had 2,750 calories for 2 days, so eating the same amount but in different ways?

Also if that amount of 1,500 calories was very carb heavy, would that still work? I ask as I really struggle to cut out carbs but I'm fairly sure my body doesn't react well to carbs. I'd say its my downfall.

As I said I'm not doing this but wondering if there's any merit in what I've said, or is it complete rubbish? I know carbs are my downfall so I've tried to add in more protein to my diet, as well as vegetables and cut back on white rice and bread. I've also switched to brown rice.

Hi folks. I got a nutra blitzer thingy for Christmas and was wondering if anyone could give me any low fat/ low calorie recipes please? I know there are some stuff I shouldn't use so
    I thought I'd ask here as there are a lot of success stories about weight loss!
    Thanks in advance.
    Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    Question for any of you scientific types (as I've not got a clue).

My TDEE is around 2,750 per day - which my basic understanding is that that's what my body uses a day to stand still so to speak. I do around 15,000 steps a day and my Fitbit tells me I use around 3,500 calories a day. I get that my Fitbit is probably not accurate so I estimate that I'm using around 3,000 calories a day to be on the cautious side.

I'm not doing this currently but curious if this is right - Is it as simple as 3,000 calories used a day - say 1,500 calories eaten = -2,000. Multiple that by 7 = 14,000. Divide by 3,500 (what it takes to lose a 1lb apparently) = 4lbs loss in a week.

Also would that work if say you ate 1,000 calories a day for 5 days a week and then had 2,750 calories for 2 days, so eating the same amount but in different ways?

Also if that amount of 1,500 calories was very carb heavy, would that still work? I ask as I really struggle to cut out carbs but I'm fairly sure my body doesn't react well to carbs. I'd say its my downfall.

As I said I'm not doing this but wondering if there's any merit in what I've said, or is it complete rubbish? I know carbs are my downfall so I've tried to add in more protein to my diet, as well as vegetables and cut back on white rice and bread. I've also switched to brown rice.
    How are you calculating a TDEE as high as 2750?

Also TDEE should really be calculated as it says on the tin, as your Total Daily Energy Expenditure. As opposed to your resting EE or Basal metabolism.

Ignoring the above, the general answer to your question is Yes, but with lots of caveats.

You can ignore the effect of carbs, unless you wish to manipulate them to exaggerate your weight loss during the carb dieting depletion - it’s not fat loss, only water.

You can spread your calories however you like over the week, but a rough 3450 calorie deficit would lead to approx. 1lb of real weight loss. Where that comes from is down to your macro intake.

Personally, I wouldn’t lower calories too much on some days, like some do on a 5:2 type diet. But... if you were at your ideal weight and shape, then I guess it doesn’t matter so much. However, by keeping protein (and fats) reasonably high you can take advantage of the body’s natural ability to trigger MPS muscle protein synthesis after every meal.

What a lot of people forget or don’t take into account, is that we are constantly putting down and using fat, or breaking down muscle and repairing it, and that’s without growing skin, hair, replacing proteins within blood, and producing new hormones. To not give your body what it can use most effectively (and then treat yourself to what you enjoy after that) seems counterproductive to me.

Master
    That’s very helpful and explains a lot, much appreciated.

The TDEE is on a couple of calculators on the internet. Both said similar so I presumed reasonably accurate. I work in an office which is sedentary I guess but aim for 15,000 steps a day of which some of it is up and down hills and I make sure I’m putting effort in to raise my heart rate. I’ve also started doing 10 minutes of weights at home every other day with some press ups thrown in. Fitbit says around 3,500 a day but I’m taking that with a pinch of salt and assuming 2,700 to 3,000.

I’m now eating more protein and vegetables in my meal and less carbs, so eating carbs but just cut down by maybe 40%.

I’ve had a couple of days where I’ve crashed and for once I’ve not thought sod it I’ll give up - I just get back on it. It’s made this much more enjoyable than in the past. It will be 3 weeks tomorrow and small steps but I feel so much better already.

Thanks again :-)

How are you calculating a TDEE as high as 2750?

Also TDEE should really be calculated as it says on the tin, as your Total Daily Energy Expenditure. As opposed to your resting EE or Basal metabolism.

Ignoring the above, the general answer to your question is Yes, but with lots of caveats.

You can ignore the effect of carbs, unless you wish to manipulate them to exaggerate your weight loss during the carb dieting depletion - it’s not fat loss, only water.

You can spread your calories however you like over the week, but a rough 3450 calorie deficit would lead to approx. 1lb of real weight loss. Where that comes from is down to your macro intake.

Personally, I wouldn’t lower calories too much on some days, like some do on a 5:2 type diet. But... if you were at your ideal weight and shape, then I guess it doesn’t matter so much. However, by keeping protein (and fats) reasonably high you can take advantage of the body’s natural ability to trigger MPS muscle protein synthesis after every meal.

What a lot of people forget or don’t take into account, is that we are constantly putting down and using fat, or breaking down muscle and repairing it, and that’s without growing skin, hair, replacing proteins within blood, and producing new hormones. To not give your body what it can use most effectively (and then treat yourself to what you enjoy after that) seems counterproductive to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    That’s very helpful and explains a lot, much appreciated.

The TDEE is on a couple of calculators on the internet. Both said similar so I presumed reasonably accurate. I work in an office which is sedentary I guess but aim for 15,000 steps a day of which some of it is up and down hills and I make sure I’m putting effort in to raise my heart rate. I’ve also started doing 10 minutes of weights at home every other day with some press ups thrown in. Fitbit says around 3,500 a day but I’m taking that with a pinch of salt and assuming 2,700 to 3,000.

I’m now eating more protein and vegetables in my meal and less carbs, so eating carbs but just cut down by maybe 40%.

I’ve had a couple of days where I’ve crashed and for once I’ve not thought sod it I’ll give up - I just get back on it. It’s made this much more enjoyable than in the past. It will be 3 weeks tomorrow and small steps but I feel so much better already.

Thanks again :-)
    I’ve just calculated mine, at between 1970-2250 for basal, and 2700 to 3750 for TDEE depending on activity level.

I’m 6’1” and currently 105kg and around 18% of lockdown body fat, and considered obese on the BMI scale at around 31 lol

I really wouldn’t aim for a fat loss of more than 2lb a week, unless you are really obese, even then you risk losing skin elasticity if you lose too much too quickly. Slow and steady is best.

I would always aim to lose weight by a 50:50 combination of food intake reduction and exercise initially. Then as you are closer to your ideal weight/body fat, I’d be upping the exercise and maintaining as high a calorie amount as possible for as long as possible.

Master
    Again very helpful - much appreciated :-)

I’ve just calculated mine, at between 1970-2250 for basal, and 2700 to 3750 for TDEE depending on activity level.

I’m 6’1” and currently 105kg and around 18% of lockdown body fat, and considered obese on the BMI scale at around 31 lol

I really wouldn’t aim for a fat loss of more than 2lb a week, unless you are really obese, even then you risk losing skin elasticity if you lose too much too quickly. Slow and steady is best.

I would always aim to lose weight by a 50:50 combination of food intake reduction and exercise initially. Then as you are closer to your ideal weight/body fat, I’d be upping the exercise and maintaining as high a calorie amount as possible for as long as possible.

Master
    3 week weigh in today and another 3lbs dropped. That’s 1 stone so feeling very happy at that. Realise it will now slow down and if I can lose 2 lbs a week for a few weeks I’ll be more than happy at that!

Quote Originally Posted by robt View Post
    With there having been some discussion of ketogenic diets recently, I thought this AMA might interest some:

https://old.reddit.com/r/IAmA/commen...ist_author_of/

This was posted 2 hours ago and questions are still being answered live.
    Did Keto diet for 3 months in 2019. Lost a good amount of fat but it is not sustainable and not healthy. 2020 worked on a simple small calorie deficit. Lost 40lbs and low and behold have kept it off. Fad diets are simply a way of starting off weight loss. You need something more sustainable in order to keep it off

Blog Entries

The BMI is too generic. It can only act as a warning sign. Nothing more. Lots of super-fit, very muscular types should be 'overweight' according to the BMI. Your body fat (in %) a better signal. A healthy level for men is between 17 and 20%.

https://youtu.be/YJAI16s1XUU
    This will tell you everything you need to know (and is also very funny)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucko View Post
    Did Keto diet for 3 months in 2019. Lost a good amount of fat but it is not sustainable and not healthy. 2020 worked on a simple small calorie deficit. Lost 40lbs and low and behold have kept it off. Fad diets are simply a way of starting off weight loss. You need something more sustainable in order to keep it off

I’m glad you said that. I like this thread for the positive vibes but a sustainable approach is the only long term answer. Anyone who thinks otherwise is deluded. I lost and have kept off nearly 30kg. We should write a diet book. Eat less, exercise more. There’s no trick to it!

Master

The motivation weight loss thread

Weigh day for me today too. Started on Monday so not a week yet but the initial few days have been good with 6lb reduction. Clearly this is an anomaly with all the excesses of last few weeks being removed.

My plan it to have the odd cheat meal. The weekend is better than any other time to do it. I know there was debate above about this but for me personally I need to add these cheat meals as that makes it more sustainable and I am more likely to stick to it.

Also thank you for the gravy tip Stonewood. Added that into a meal this week. Game changer with the veg. Don’t know why I always imagined gravy should only be reserved for proper roast dinners!

Cheat meals can work very well, and for most people moving to a more lifestyle diet it fits with increased eating and socialising at the weekend. Just be careful you don’t completely blow the calorie reductions from your other days.

Hopefully our gyms will open again next month and I’ll be back into a year of planned training and structured eating - fingers crossed 🤞

Master
    Inspired by the broccoli photo above, I have changed my diet a tiny bit. Three evenings in a row, my dinner was a boiled egg, lots of green leaves, cucumber, hummus and olive oil dressing. Fourth (today) was grilled salmon with a generous serving of greens. Just one meal changed but my weekday breakfast is already oat porridge so that leaves only one ‘bad’ main meal. My lunch is typically just after a workout so not the end of the world if it’s on the naughty side.

I forgot to weigh myself before this but not too bothered. Just want to speed up the fat loss a bit (very slow at the moment) which I can’t measure at home anyway. Hopefully keeping my exercise levels the same, this small change will help.

Just did the weekly weigh in and am now 123.1 kilos, so 800g lost this week. That is a much lower loss than the 1st 2 weeks which probably just shows how much water weight was lost earlier. Makes for a total of 7.2 kilos lost in 3 weeks. I was hoping for more weight loss this week to be honest but I know it happens in spurts. Upped daily calorie deficit to around 1,600 (easy when in ketosis as you are never hungry) hence my surprise that more weight wasn't lost.

I did have a couple of epiphanies this week on keto. 1st one was that strawberries are ok in moderation on keto. Hooray for some sweetness! 2nd revelation was the discovery of Worthers Originals sugar free. Hooray again (although these must be had in very limited quantities - not because they interfere with the diet but because of their incredible laxative effects!).

Focus is on trying to lose weight and muscle. I know keeping muscle is usually important but I actually had too much (particularly in the legs and shoulders) and I don't want to end up with the 'prop forward' build at the end of this. Hard to do as protein intake is high so I'm trying to satiate with fat (pork belly, pork scratchings etc) and not protein. in a few more weeks I'll up the protein once enough muscle mass has been lost as muscle mass burns more calories anyway.

No cheat days/meals here. Either do it hardcore or don't bother is my mantra only because I know in my case I'd quickly come off the rails if I allowed myself the odd curry. Other people may have more discipline. Not me sadly.
    Last edited by ryanb741; 23rd January 2021 at 08:48.

I have gone cold turkey on all chocolate, sweets and crisps whilst eating the following:

Breakfast - cereal

Lunch - tin of Tuna and mixed beans.

Afternoon snack - protein bar

Dinner - any hearty meal I want.

And that’s it. Nothing else.

In exactly one week I have gone from 14stone 3 to 13 stone 10 doing the above.

To be honest I’m not even craving chocolate anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How tall are you, Ryan?

Personally, I don't subscribe to specialist diets. They may work for some or even most people, but I'm just not down with depriving the body of certain foods (e.g. carbs) if the person is active. My view (again, just my personal view so feel free to ignore) is that if you cut down as much as possible on the sugars, salt and saturated fats (as Stonewood says he did in his post) then you're part of the way there already. I just don't get the huge scientific approach - eat healthy smaller meals and exercise as much as possible and you will lose weight. I wouldn't try to lose muscle either - keeping as much muscle as possible is vital to replacing the fat with muscle. Don't go by how much you weigh - it doesn't tell the whole story. Go by how your clothes fit - are the jeans that were tight on you 4 weeks ago now really lose? Even if you retain lots of muscle you'll still be 'shrinking' in size overall.

It's also going to be a long process to get to where you want to be - setting short term goals are fine but at your weight it will take a long time so don't lose heart - just keep going and mentally it will become easier when you see your body shape changing.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Just did the weekly weigh in and am now 123.1 kilos, so 800g lost this week. That is a much lower loss than the 1st 2 weeks which probably just shows how much water weight was lost earlier. Makes for a total of 7.2 kilos lost in 3 weeks. I was hoping for more weight loss this week to be honest but I know it happens in spurts. Upped daily calorie deficit to around 1,600 (easy when in ketosis as you are never hungry) hence my surprise that more weight wasn't lost.

I did have a couple of epiphanies this week on keto. 1st one was that strawberries are ok in moderation on keto. Hooray for some sweetness! 2nd revelation was the discovery of Worthers Originals sugar free. Hooray again (although these must be had in very limited quantities - not because they interfere with the diet but because of their incredible laxative effects!).

Focus is on trying to lose weight and muscle. I know keeping muscle is usually important but I actually had too much (particularly in the legs and shoulders) and I don't want to end up with the 'prop forward' build at the end of this. Hard to do as protein intake is high so I'm trying to satiate with fat (pork belly, pork scratchings etc) and not protein. in a few more weeks I'll up the protein once enough muscle mass has been lost as muscle mass burns more calories anyway.

No cheat days/meals here. Either do it hardcore or don't bother is my mantra only because I know in my case I'd quickly come off the rails if I allowed myself the odd curry. Other people may have more discipline. Not me sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by Shane View Post
    How tall are you, Ryan?

Personally, I don't subscribe to specialist diets. They may work for some or even most people, but I'm just not down with depriving the body of certain foods (e.g. carbs) if the person is active. My view (again, just my personal view so feel free to ignore) is that if you cut down as much as possible on the sugars, salt and saturated fats (as Stonewood says he did in his post) then you're part of the way there already. I just don't get the huge scientific approach - eat healthy smaller meals and exercise as much as possible and you will lose weight. I wouldn't try to lose muscle either - keeping as much muscle as possible is vital to replacing the fat with muscle. Don't go by how much you weigh - it doesn't tell the whole story. Go by how your clothes fit - are the jeans that were tight on you 4 weeks ago now really lose? Even if you retain lots of muscle you'll still be 'shrinking' in size overall.

It's also going to be a long process to get to where you want to be - setting short term goals are fine but at your weight it will take a long time so don't lose heart - just keep going and mentally it will become easier when you see your body shape changing.
    Hi. 181cms

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post

Focus is on trying to lose weight and muscle. I know keeping muscle is usually important but I actually had too much (particularly in the legs and shoulders) and I don't want to end up with the 'prop forward' build at the end of this.

I seriously doubt you are carrying too much muscle - you need to appreciate looking at a piece of lean meat compared to one the same size but where one is clearly made up of a huge percentage of fat - you can tense both, and only subcutaneous fat is going to be noticeable from the outside. Aiming to lose muscle is so counterproductive it’s untrue! As you diet and exercise, provided you keep your protein high and overall macros sensible your muscles will use up a lot of that internal fat, which will give you a smaller overall size in the muscles, which is what I believe you are aiming for, but actually maintain as much of the lean muscles.

If you are overweight, and have had sufficient protein over a sustained period then your body will have reached a level of homeostasis in relation to your lean body weight - the only thing you need to do is reduce the level of fat. By losing any muscle during this diet process, I guarantee that your body will fight tooth and nail to regain it, and you will likely gain most if not all of the fat back because of it. It is singularly the No1 reason most diets fail.

As you age you lose approx. 1% of muscle mass per year - setting yourself a diet to increase the speed of that that loss (which after 40 is a lot bloody harder and at some point impossible to reverse) must be the worst possible idea I could imagine.

Master
    Another one here who doesn’t get the idea of intentionally losing muscle. I’m 43 and can echo the comment above about gaining muscle being so difficult as we age. Despite consuming a lot of protein in the form of shakes, meat, eggs as well as plant sources and doing regular strength training, my muscle gain rate is very slow. Personally I would want to hold on to every milligram of muscle I have and add every bit that I can. Also, I read somewhere that muscle helps burns fat so gaining muscle results in increased fat burn.

Well I tried carb cycling with calorie loading today as I heard it was a great way of resetting the body when on keto. Perhaps doing it with an overload of sugar (when my body has been sugar free for 3 weeks) was a bad idea as I just felt dizzy and sweated profusely. I just wanted to make sure I definitely came out of ketosis however consuming what someone who just finished the Marathon des Sables would struggle with was overkill. I.ate all those carbs in one sitting! Downed 3 litres of water in short order also.
    Back to no carbs lol.

FYI on a typical day I'm eating 1300 calories with around 10g net carbs. Today's meal is NOT representative of what I normally eat and also even the first 2 keto compliant meals aren't what I'd usually eat - typically it is non processed meats and fish with plenty of tenderstem broccoli and savoy cabbage. Loads of pork scratching too - somehow that's a health food on keto and even the high salt content is necessary due to low carbs as most salts are ingested in carbs.

Here is today's food intake. Spot the contrast lol

Last edited by ryanb741; 23rd January 2021 at 20:33.

Master
    That looks incredibly bad for you Ryan.

Pork scratchings, although I sometimes eat them myself, are not in any way a health food on any diet.

I think regardless of what diet plan you choose, eating less processed, more whole foods, and generally being aware and sensible in what you are eating is going to be the right approach.

I don’t believe in good food and junk food, but there is too much of the wrong foods. And there is too much sugar, and too much salt etc. Carb cycling should be used for days that you ate physically expending more energy - you only have a small capacity to replenish glycogen from carb loading before it spills over to laying down fat. Invariably eating such high amounts of carbs, and especially refined sugars is going to lead to a negative outcome.

Also, if you are starting out on such a low calorie intake at 1300, you have little to drop later when things get much tougher, and there is no need to do it. After weeks of depriving your body at those levels you will natural blink less, stand less, and generally slow down a little, which fir the most part you wouldn’t even notice, but you’ll be burning significantly less calories.

You are much better adopting an approach which allows you to consume the highest possible amount of calories, whilst still continuing to drop a steady amount of fat.
    Last edited by Omegamanic; 23rd January 2021 at 20:58.

Quote Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
    That looks incredibly bad for you Ryan.
    Yeah like I said this is an outlier as a day lol. As an example here is tuesday;

Pork scratchings, although I sometimes eat them myself, are not in any way a health food on any diet.

I think regardless of what diet plan you choose, eating less processed, more whole foods, and generally being aware and sensible in what you are eating is going to be the right approach.

I don’t believe in good food and junk food, but there is too much of the wrong foods. And there is too much sugar, and too much salt etc. Carb cycling should be used for days that you ate physically expending more energy - you only have a small capacity to replenish glycogen from carb loading before it spills over to laying down fat. Invariably eating such high amounts of carbs, and especially refined sugars is going to lead to a negative outcome.

Also, if you are starting out on such a low calorie intake at 1300, you have little to drop later when things get much tougher, and there is no need to do it. After weeks of depriving your body at those levels you will natural blink less, stand less, and generally slow down a little, which fir the most part you wouldn’t even notice, but you’ll be burning significantly less calories.

You are much better adopting an approach which allows you to consume the highest possible amount of calories, whilst still continuing to drop a steady amount of fat.
    I was under the impression that on keto you weren't in a calorie deficit really even if eating only 1k calories a day as your body would.simply use stored body fat for fuel and not enter starvation mode?

That’s a very simplistic way of looking at Keto, and the reality is far from that I’m afraid. You have the ability to use an amount of energy from fat, in the absence of other energy sources, but it will not make up for the levels of reduction, or the effect of the body trying to counter your food intake.

As an very crude example, your body doesn’t stop you craving food just because you have ample fat stores, it works on your current and continued intake. Which then dictates the release of things like ghrelin and leptin. Most recent studies show that ghrelin and leptin are hugely affected by changes up or down in relation to the body’s lean mass, rather than body fat levels.

I don’t have the studies to hand, but there are a couple detailing an amount of calories per pound of fat that could be utilised per day, in perfect circumstances. However, off the top of my head Herman Pontzer’s studies show that everyone has a ceiling of daily energy expenditure.

That’s a very simplistic way of looking at Keto, and the reality is far from that I’m afraid. You have the ability to use an amount of energy from fat, in the absence of other energy sources, but it will not make up for the levels of reduction, or the effect of the body trying to counter your food intake.

As an very crude example, your body doesn’t stop you craving food just because you have ample fat stores, it works on your current and continued intake. Which then dictates the release of things like ghrelin and leptin. Most recent studies show that ghrelin and leptin are hugely affected by changes up or down in relation to the body’s lean mass, rather than body fat levels.

I don’t have the studies to hand, but there are a couple detailing an amount of calories per pound of fat that could be utilised per day, in perfect circumstances. However, off the top of my head Herman Pontzer’s studies show that everyone has a ceiling of daily energy expenditure.
    Ah ok makes sense. To be fair the app is telling me to wat more calories anyway so I'll up intake to a deficit of around 500 or so

I think that’s a perfect deficit, and you can increase it a little on days when you’re really not hungry.

I honestly find it difficult to eat all my calories when I’m tracking them, as then I’m a lot more mindful of what I’m eating, so very few unplanned snacks - when I’m strict I do occasionally miss not eating the pasties, cream cakes or bacon/sausage baps that seem to turn up every other week for someone’s birthday, but thankfully rarely. I always had something like quark in the fridge, and I’d add a teaspoon of honey to 250g (you could add sweetener to lose the carbs) and it made quite a satisfying after dinner dessert.

Personally, I try to stick to a max 500-750 calorie deficit from food, and then allow any exercise to make up any additional.

One other thing to remember is that your maintenance calories were calculated on day one. It’s a good idea to recalculate (and reduce) your maintenance figure, and therefore your current intake figure, every now and again. Say every 4-6 weeks. This should see you maintaining a very steady and predictable weight/fat loss. Put simply, if you walk 5 miles day at 125kg you will be burning more energy than someone weighing 100kg. You could always fill a rucksack with the weight you’ve lost though, and carry it 24/7 ;)