closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 15 of 25 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: The motivation weight loss thread

The effects on long term Keto are not well known, and it is probably wise to evolve towards a more Mediterranean diet and reintroduce some carbs, which have also been a staple since prehistoric times.
    Likewise with the exercise: as soon as your body gets "used" to an exercise routine, it learns to minimise the energy required to do it, so it stops being an effective weight shedder. You keep the health benefits of course, but be careful to not over exercise as it can lead to injuries (sinews, joints, stress fractures).
    However your results are spectacular and you should be really proud of that.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    And I don't know about you lot, but getting a Garmin/Fitbit/fitness watch and Strava account has to be one of the most motivating things if you are even remotely competitive. It is you vs. the data. Seeing others in the Strava or Garmin community spurs me on no end!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Likewise with the exercise: as soon as your body gets "used" to an exercise routine, it learns to minimise the energy required to do it, so it stops being an effective weight shedder. You keep the health benefits of course, but be careful to not over exercise as it can lead to injuries (sinews, joints, stress fractures).
    Thanks! It feels unbelievably great to master your own body/fitness/health.
    You raise an interesting point on getting used to exercise. I have found that consecutive days of rigorous exercise is the most productive way to burn calories. Any food consumed after a big workout tends to not get stored by the body as fat, but rather stored ready for the next burn. Rest days are critical, however, for physical recovery to avoid injury - building up rep cycles consistently is the key. I will admit that maintaining fitness feels like a constant balance between pushing the body to strengthen, burn maximally, and avoid injury. Importantly, the past 3 years of exercise has taught me one really important thing: listen to your body and know when to push or rest!

Master
    At my peak of 'fatness', I weighed above 97kg which at 5'11" was pretty bad, as was my peak waist of 41 inches. I started going to the gym regularly and watched my diet, which brought me just under 80kg. I was happy with that but then my body learnt to be efficient with my gym routine (with hindsight, a moderate exercise level) and getting lax with diet saw me go back up to high 80s and plateau at that level, despite being religiously committed to gym throughout. Then I started running outdoors (only 5k twice a week) and weight came down a bit to mid 80s. Then I really 'found' running (increased frequency to 3 times per week, longer distances as well and fell in love with the sport rather than dreading it as before). That was the turning point for me.

My total blood cholesterol was nearing 7 at its peak. Both HDL and LDL were bad. Blood pressure used to be borderline high. Resting heart rate used to be in high 70s. In contrast, the last blood test over a year ago showed total cholesterol at 4 with both HDL and LDL in good range independently. After those tests last year, I have trained for a marathon and ran 2 so I hope the total cholesterol level won't have gone up much from 4 (if not improved further). Blood pressure has also normalised and resting heart rate ranges between 48 and 53 now. Weight-wise I have been yo-yo-ing between 73 and 75kg for a while and don't mind this range too much. My 30 waist trousers are a tiny bit loose. Last body fat reading was 13.4% on the Boditrax machine at my gym when it was open. As a 43 year old, I am happy with these stats but obviously there is always room for improvement. Food discipline should be the goal now.

You keep the health benefits of course, but be careful to not over exercise as it can lead to injuries (sinews, joints, stress fractures).
    Very true. Just like a restrictive diet, a lot of intense exercise is also not sustainable long term. Risk of injury is an obvious downside (I should know!) but also the impacts on work and family commitments. I exercise daily (running 3-4 times a week and rigorous strength training on all other days). Last time I took a few rest weeks was in April and May 2020 (couldn't run/exercise as much due to bereavement) but before and after that I have been on really long streaks. Haven't missed a single run and only missed a strength training session may be once a month. However, I do wonder how long I can go on like that. Balanced and healthy diet would be key - right now I am a really bad eater (both qualitatively and quantitatively) as I know I am still burning off more than I consume.

Quote Originally Posted by spareparts View Post
    And I don't know about you lot, but getting a Garmin/Fitbit/fitness watch and Strava account has to be one of the most motivating things if you are even remotely competitive. It is you vs. the data. Seeing others in the Strava or Garmin community spurs me on no end!
    Not much interested in the social aspect of Strava/Garmin etc. but agree wholeheartedly with the fitness watch thing. It's very common for me to get up and do something for the fear of missing a daily goal. Wouldn't have been possible without these gadgets. My average daily steps according to my Garmin are 14.3k with 50k+ on each of my marathon days.

The effects on long term Keto are not well known, and it is probably wise to evolve towards a more Mediterranean diet and reintroduce some carbs, which have also been a staple since prehistoric times.
    Agreed on Keto. It serves a purpose, but as a mid to long term diet that aids compliance with a new lifestyle and understanding of food and nutrition it’s hugely lacking for the vast majority, and leads to yo-yo dieting for most - which is the most damaging dieting cycle ever.

Of course the body gets used to exercise - but only to the extent where you become efficient. After that point you will use a fixed amount of energy for a fixed amount of effort. If you prefer you can cycle between a number of cardio disciplines so that you’re a Jack of all trades, rather than master one - but you’ll likely improve in all areas within a fairly short period.

Over exercising is pretty difficult, under resting, and not getting the right nutrition are much much easier.

Very best wishes to all in reaching their fitness and weight loss goals this year!
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Yep I'm back on the keto. Started it in 2019 and lost 32 kilos within 7 months. 2020 was a bad year psychologically for me (nothing to do with Covid though) and I put 28 kilos of that back on. Started again yesterday as I'm refocusing mentally for 2021and I'll stick with it until June. I've found Keto works best for me of all the diets as I quite like the food choices (basically eat meat and high fibre veg) and I find it easier to stick to.

Aim is to lose 7 kilos in Jan (half of that will.be water weight) and then 4 kilos per month average thereafter. This will be done by a 1k a day calorie deficit with at least half that deficit comprised of exercise burned calories (mostly brisk walking in Jan, then adding weights from Feb onwards). The calorie deficit works on keto as the body burns excess fat to make up 'the difference' whereas my understanding is that on non keto diets where carbs are the primary fuel the body reacts differently to calorie deficits and slows down metabolism instead making it ever harder to lose weight.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    32 kilos ! Blimey, I’d need a limb amputating to achieve that, well done.

What’s the easiest laziest way to learn about what this diet entails?

Keto...the rebranding of "Dr. Atkins Diet Revolution" famous in the 1970s and 1980. In 1974 I lost 25 pounds in 21 days - - even falling off the wagon two weekends!

Master
    Thanks for the inputs on this thread. Reminds me I need to get back on it. All a bit upside down right now. But next week!!

Cutting out carbs will lead to immediate and extreme weight loss - but it is almost completely water in the early days. Any fat loss from Keto is from an overall calorie deficit just like any other diet. A well structured carb cycling diet can be very beneficial in losing body fat and maintaining lean tissue, which should, in my humble opinion by The No.1 aim of any diet, especially for those in mid or older age - as nothing much will age you more than losing large amounts of lean tissue - plus you’ll be unable to eat anything like a sensible amount of food again, as your ability to eat more is directly related to your lean mass, and or your activity levels.

I would quite easily take 14-28lbs off an over weight man within 30-60 days by restricting their carb/food intake and upping their activity level - but it’s unlikely to be fat loss.

14lb of fat is roughly equal to 49,000 calories

28lb of fat = 98,000 calories!

So simple maths would dictate that that level of fat loss would require a consistent daily calorific deficit of 500 calories for 98 days or 196 days.

Whereas I could easily write a program for a 500 cal food deficit (for someone eating fairly normally and relative to the average man), and increasing exercise to approx. 500 cals per day. That could, and I emphasise could lead to a loss of fat approx. 8lbs in a month, which should be looked at as something close to a healthy maximum in all but those who are morbidly obese. TDEE should then be recalculated every month and diet amended to suit.

You can’t change the laws of thermodynamics, just because you want to lose weight or rather fat quicker!

Water loss and or muscle loss might be weight loss, but it’s not fat loss, or going to make you any healthier - if anything losing weight but having an overall higher percentage body fat ratio is going to be counterproductive and have it’s own potential health issues.

Id also be wary of any gym or home fat percentage calculators - used in exactly the same bodily state they can be useful to show progress, but they are not accurate, and many people then completely under estimate their fat percentage - every single person I’ve seen with a water or Dexa scan under 14% had visible abs (at the upper end far from shredded, but visible) far too many people state they are around 12-14% but more likely close to 20. As for most people quoting single digit figures, for the most part they are simply dreaming. A girl on Facebook was stating she was 2% last year, because her trainer had measured her with skin fold callipers FFS (she’d likely to be dead at anything close, but hey...).
    Last edited by Omegamanic; 4th January 2021 at 17:14.

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Cutting out carbs will lead to immediate and extreme weight loss - but it is almost completely water in the early days. Any fat loss from Keto is from an overall calorie deficit just like any other diet. A well structured carb cycling diet can be very beneficial in losing body fat and maintaining lean tissue, which should, in my humble opinion by The No.1 aim of any diet, especially for those in mid or older age - as nothing much will age you more than losing large amounts of lean tissue - plus you’ll be unable to eat anything like a sensible amount of food again, as your ability to eat more is directly related to your lean mass, and or your activity levels.

I would quite easily take 14-28lbs off an over weight man within 30-60 days by restricting their carb/food intake and upping their activity level - but it’s unlikely to be fat loss.

14lb of fat is roughly equal to 49,000 calories

28lb of fat = 98,000 calories!

So simple maths would dictate that that level of fat loss would require a consistent daily calorific deficit of 500 calories for 98 days or 196 days.

Whereas I could easily write a program for a 500 cal food deficit (for someone eating fairly normally and relative to the average man), and increasing exercise to approx. 500 cals per day. That could, and I emphasise could lead to a loss of fat approx. 8lbs in a month, which should be looked at as something close to a healthy maximum in all but those who are morbidly obese. TDEE should then be recalculated every month and diet amended to suit.

You can’t change the laws of thermodynamics, just because you want to lose weight or rather fat quicker!

Water loss and or muscle loss might be weight loss, but it’s not fat loss, or going to make you any healthier - if anything losing weight but having an overall higher percentage body fat ratio is going to be counterproductive and have it’s own potential health issues.

Id also be wary of any gym or home fat percentage calculators - used in exactly the same bodily state they can be useful to show progress, but they are not accurate, and many people then completely under estimate their fat percentage - every single person I’ve seen with a water or Dexa scan under 14% had visible abs (at the upper end far from shredded, but visible) far too many people state they are around 12-14% but more likely close to 20. As for most people quoting single digit figures, for the most part they are simply dreaming. A girl on Facebook was stating she was 2% last year, because her trainer had measured her with skin fold callipers FFS (she’d likely to be dead at anything close, but hey...).
    2% on a woman, is that even possible? TdF cyclists get down to around 5% depending on the individual and that is only temporary. She probably did a typo in her post :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Exactly. One of the reasons I am not too bothered about being stuck at my current weight for over 1.5 year is that very slowly my fat percentage is still going down and lean mass going up.

They may be inaccurate but provide a decent relative metric if used at roughly the same time of the day every few weeks (which is how I use it). The direction is more important than an absolute number. Don't know about others but I have noticed changes that would support the scanner's claim that my muscle/fat distribution has improved. Just one simple example: jeans getting loose at the waist but tight at thighs because I do quite a bit of lower body strength work to support my running.

LOL at 2% body fat! Women's healthy fat percentage range is much higher than men's, for obvious reasons. 2% is less than essential fat even for men.

Quote Originally Posted by PawG View Post
    2% on a woman, is that even possible? TdF cyclists get down to around 5% depending on the individual and that is only temporary. She probably did a typo in her post :-)

I’ve yet to see a real life confirmed under 5% bf body builder, and I know lots, and lots of pro physique competitors - even though these numbers are touted so frequently.

You’d have a high level of fat in bone marrow as well as other essentials.

The girl was serious, and seriously misinformed - as she wasn’t particularly lean from memory, with no visible cuts in arms or legs.

Making progress, or slowing the decline has got to be the goal. I’m even going to try and get back in the gym this evening myself - my personal countdown begins, and I’m not entirely looking forward to it - age waits for no man lol :)

I’ve yet to see a real life confirmed under 5% bf body builder, and I know lots, and lots of pro physique competitors - even though these numbers are touted so frequently.

You’d have a high level of fat in bone marrow as well as other essentials.

The girl was serious, and seriously misinformed - as she wasn’t particularly lean from memory, with no visible cuts in arms or legs.

Making progress, or slowing the decline has got to be the goal. I’m even going to try and get back in the gym this evening myself - my personal countdown begins, and I’m not entirely looking forward to it - age waits for no man lol :)
    I’ve been struggling with weight all my life, but in the early days it was more due to unhealthy lifestyle, abuse of alcohol and all the other crap. I changed my diet, started working out and managed to lose around 30kgs and kept it off for a few years (boxing and cycling, then mainly cycling). Then, I got injured on a long distance cycling trip and the weight slowly creeped back up. For a good few months I was eating my usual 3500-4000kcal per day but without any cycling at all. And I used to ride about 200 miles per week, sometimes more sometimes less. So, no wonder I put on extra 15-20kgs over couple of years. Then, I lost 15kgs again and boom, slipped disc (who knows how that happened) that led to sciatica - no cycling for 6 months. Back on it now and aiming for at least 10000kms this year.
    Injuries suck.

That's bloody good going though!

I think one problem for those who are very active, is that when you pick up an injury/illness or get confined in isolation, it's very difficult to maintain energy expenditure when you are used to a higher intake. I used to eat 5000+ cals per day, and start a summer diet on around 3250, but never less than 2500. I still have a very good appetite (and I always hit my protein and fat needs - alongside far too high a carb intake!), but my overall activity levels are down and need to be upped, or my intake tempered.

Looks like we might be put into a lockdown after this evening - so I'll make the most of tonight's workout just in case!

Master
    I’ve dropped from 12k steps easily to less than 2k as no longer commute to London. My time spent commuting is now spent at my desk working, it is not ideal but has meant my working at weekends is kept to a minimum.

Currently the heaviest I’ve ever been at 86kg and 180cm, it feels rubbish. I drink too much wine & beer but enjoy it. Gained 6kg since August which is disgusting!

Currently booze is completely out & im working on a pretty high deficit with a focus on protein, lowering my carb & fat level. Aiming to get a half hour walk in every night when my wife comes home & then reverting back to work.

I tend to scratch cook, but cook like a chef with butter & I like large portions which doesn’t help. My weekly curry probably isn’t helping either!

My lowest 4yrs ago was 73kg but think that will remain unattainable as was with a bad time I was going through & didn’t look healthy.

What a fun couple of months ahead!!

Craftsman
    Over the last 3 years I for the first time ever decided to address my calorie intake and focus on partaking in regular exercise. At age of 30 I joined a gym and for first time in my life actually stuck to it, going 3-5 times a week minimum and in some cases every day. Combining that with actually checking the calories and nutrition in the foods I was eating led to a very quick improvement.

I didn't have any guidance in the gym so just mainly rowed, cycled and ran on the treadmill. This worked fine other than being a little boring. I went from 13.5st to 12st.

The next thing I discovered with some friends was strength training in the gym. I started with dumbbells and bench-press, working full body i most sessions and gradually expanding out to other compound lifts. My weight went to 10st12, but I then added some on which was mainly muscle I think (hope!) and settled at about 11st2 as a comfortable weight. I was deadlifting, squatting, and benching increasing amounts. As an example, I went from starting bench weight of 30kg, up to 75kg when lockdown 1 hit (after 6 months of working on it). Since then my exercise regime and diet has deteriorated rapidly and I'm really gutted and discouraged that I've lost my strength, and worse than that - put on about 6kg/1st in weight. Even worse again, that weight is pretty much exclusively (as is usual for me) around my middle section.

What Omegamaniac describes above around how to diet with the aim of reducing fat and not necessarily weight is something I want and need, but I find it very difficult to know where is best to access resources for this type of plan. Go on the internet and it's impossible to know best nutrition and exercise advice to follow, or even who is qualified to give advice in first place!

That's my moan over, I've just got to put in the hard work and try to get back to where I was and beyond. Started off today with a long walk to burn some calories and will lift some weights in the garage tonight. Will step that up over the next few weeks! Really, really, really, missing the support and social element of training with my pals, but determined to get back into shape and ultimately to get in better condition which is the path I was on pre-Covid!

Good luck to all else on the journey!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Sounds like you're on the right track and your plan is a good one - it's mainly consistency with training and eating sensibly. Even if you do shorter workouts but regularly this will help. Gyms provide the social interaction of others trainining, which really helps with motivation. Many people who have PTs, apart from not having the knowledge or experience of training, cannot motivate themselves to really push through the fatigue and pain by themselves. It's all in the mind - if you are strong mentally then your body will comply. Try to get into a training routine with weights and bodyweight exercises and then you can mix in low impact cardio which will also hit your core. And obviously eating well!

Quote Originally Posted by jon8oy View Post
    Over the last 3 years I for the first time ever decided to address my calorie intake and focus on partaking in regular exercise. At age of 30 I joined a gym and for first time in my life actually stuck to it, going 3-5 times a week minimum and in some cases every day. Combining that with actually checking the calories and nutrition in the foods I was eating led to a very quick improvement.

I didn't have any guidance in the gym so just mainly rowed, cycled and ran on the treadmill. This worked fine other than being a little boring. I went from 13.5st to 12st.

The next thing I discovered with some friends was strength training in the gym. I started with dumbbells and bench-press, working full body i most sessions and gradually expanding out to other compound lifts. My weight went to 10st12, but I then added some on which was mainly muscle I think (hope!) and settled at about 11st2 as a comfortable weight. I was deadlifting, squatting, and benching increasing amounts. As an example, I went from starting bench weight of 30kg, up to 75kg when lockdown 1 hit (after 6 months of working on it). Since then my exercise regime and diet has deteriorated rapidly and I'm really gutted and discouraged that I've lost my strength, and worse than that - put on about 6kg/1st in weight. Even worse again, that weight is pretty much exclusively (as is usual for me) around my middle section.

What Omegamaniac describes above around how to diet with the aim of reducing fat and not necessarily weight is something I want and need, but I find it very difficult to know where is best to access resources for this type of plan. Go on the internet and it's impossible to know best nutrition and exercise advice to follow, or even who is qualified to give advice in first place!

That's my moan over, I've just got to put in the hard work and try to get back to where I was and beyond. Started off today with a long walk to burn some calories and will lift some weights in the garage tonight. Will step that up over the next few weeks! Really, really, really, missing the support and social element of training with my pals, but determined to get back into shape and ultimately to get in better condition which is the path I was on pre-Covid!

Good luck to all else on the journey!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Had my first weigh in 1 week after starting back on keto and lost 3.8 kilos in the week. I am on around 1250 calorie deficit per day so mathematically around 1.5 kilos of that will be fat and the rest mostly water (I'm eating lots of protein to avoid losing muscle mass).

I'll be happy with 1.5 kilos loss a week moving forward.

Master
    Had my first weigh in 1 week after starting back on keto and lost 3.8 kilos in the week. I am on around 1250 calorie deficit per day so mathematically around 1.5 kilos of that will be fat and the rest mostly water (I'm eating lots of protein to avoid losing muscle mass).

I'll be happy with 1.5 kilos loss a week moving forward.

Snap. I’m down 8lbs so just a bit less, although like you I’m guessing a lot of water initially. Still it’s a positive start.

Well done.

Master
    Well done both...I am starting my Jan plan on Monday (I promise!)...so look forward to reporting back here in a week or so.

Part of the logic of making this post is so that I actually start on Monday, as usually...Monday never comes!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    Well done both...I am starting my Jan plan on Monday (I promise!)...so look forward to reporting back here in a week or so.

Part of the logic of making this post is so that I actually start on Monday, as usually...Monday never comes!
    Good to make the commitment in writing. Good luck and let us know how your week goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    Snap. I’m down 8lbs so just a bit less, although like you I’m guessing a lot of water initially. Still it’s a positive start.

Well done.
    Good work!

With there having been some discussion of ketogenic diets recently, I thought this AMA might interest some:

https://old.reddit.com/r/IAmA/commen...ist_author_of/

This was posted 2 hours ago and questions are still being answered live.

Quote Originally Posted by robt View Post
    With there having been some discussion of ketogenic diets recently, I thought this AMA might interest some:

https://old.reddit.com/r/IAmA/commen...ist_author_of/

This was posted 2 hours ago and questions are still being answered live.
    He’s a crackpot author in my opinion, with lots of evidence based science that contradicts a lot of the b’lox that he’s spouted over the years - so I wouldn’t listen to anything he says, never mind put in a book to try and sell - oh, and what are his qualifications for making the statements he does? I’m sure by default he actually gets a few things right, but that’s not good enough for me.

He’s a crackpot author in my opinion, with lots of evidence based science that contradicts a lot of the b’lox that he’s spouted over the years - so I wouldn’t listen to anything he says, never mind put in a book to try and sell - oh, and what are his qualifications for making the statements he does? I’m sure by default he actually gets a few things right, but that’s not good enough for me.
    I haven't actually read any of his books. I would recommend Volek and Phinney as the definitive summary of the science for the layperson. But I thought the interview might be interesting.

I have no reason to believe he is a "crackpot" and in fact as far as I can tell he's a fairly well-respected journalist. And even if he is a crackpot, that doesn't necessarily negate all of his opinions, as long as they happen to be backed up by evidence. I don't know if they are, I'm going to read the thread a bit later. As always, if there's going to be a discussion, it would be good to discuss the arguments and the evidence, rather than the person.

I haven't actually read any of his books. I would recommend Volek and Phinney as the definitive summary of the science for the layperson. But I thought the interview might be interesting.

I have no reason to believe he is a "crackpot" and in fact as far as I can tell he's a fairly well-respected journalist. And even if he is a crackpot, that doesn't necessarily negate all of his opinions, as long as they happen to be backed up by evidence. I don't know if they are, I'm going to read the thread a bit later. As always, if there's going to be a discussion, it would be good to discuss the arguments and the evidence, rather than the person.
    He’s repeatedly stated things like, calories don’t matter as long as your carbs are keep to a minimum (maybe he’s changed his ways, but I doubt it - I’ve read too much from him in the past to bother doing so in the future); which is just wrong on so many levels. The foods he eats aren’t a million miles away from what I eat, but he misses the fruit, veg, and obviously the majority of carbs.

He’s repeatedly stated things like, calories don’t matter as long as your carbs are keep to a minimum
    I don't know exactly what he has said in this regard, but what has been definitely said many times by lots of different people about low carb diets is that you do not normally need to count calories on them. That's because the diet tends to alter the body's homeostatic setpoint, primarily by dramatically reducing insulin levels. And also because protein and fat are naturally more satiating than carbohydrates, especially sugar, so it is harder to overeat.

The diet tends to be self-regulating as long as you keep the carbs below the ketogenic threshold. As to what the ketongenic threshold actually is, that varies a lot based on individual metabolism and exercise levels.
    Last edited by robt; 13th January 2021 at 00:05. Reason: remove redundant hyphen

I’m pretty tall but did raise an eyebrow when I randomly stood on the scales st 17st 8lbs. That was in late November. Stopped snacks, lengthened the dog walk by 20 mins and a weekend punchbag workout has seen it drop a bit to 16st 11 lbs. not sure what I was expecting but the speed of loss feels correct and not too fast. I will casually monitor it - got a notion of 16st being optimal

I don't know exactly what he has said in this regard, but what has been definitely said many times by lots of different people about low carb diets is that you do not normally need to count calories on them. That's because the diet tends to alter the body's homeostatic setpoint, primarily by dramatically reducing insulin levels. And also because protein and fat are naturally more satiating than carbohydrates, especially sugar, so it is harder to overeat.

The diet tends to be self-regulating as long as you keep the carbs below the ketogenic threshold. As to what the ketongenic threshold actually is, that varies a lot based on individual metabolism and exercise levels.
    Maybe that’s the real problem then. Calories, or total energy intake, is the No.1 contributing factor in weight gain or loss, full stop, to ignore that basic premise by anyone supposedly giving advice on diet, weight loss/fat loss is beyond naive, and downright deceitful. I’d like to see evidence of any diet resetting a homeostatic set point. & reducing insulin levels alone does not have a dramatic effect on weight/fat loss. The most recent research shows that our “set” lean body mass has the most dramatic effect on mailing results from a diet, and fat gain/loss, and that our bodies will fight to have it restored, whether that be in it being too high or too low. This is why dieting that reducing LBM is self defeating and repeatedly shown to fail.

Protein and fats are more satiating. As most people’s diets are predominantly carbohydrate, most people on a Keto diet are actually dramatically reducing calories on most low carb diets. I’ve yet to see any Keto diet give a better body composition outcome than using a sensible high protein and controlled overall calorie intake, in fact I’ve noticed quite the opposite - as muscles on Keto look flat and depleted in comparison, and the vast majority of people on Keto have a measurable drop in energy/performance.

If Keto works for some people, then great. It has very low mid to long term compliance for most.

A quick excerpt from meta-analysis to show some info on Keto and High Protein, but mostly to emphasis the overall importance the reduction in calories plays to weight loss, and the impact keeping protein high in minimising the loss of LBM in that weight loss.:

“2.2. Ketogenic Diet

The rationale for this diet is that low-carbohydrate conditions lead to skeletal muscle lipolysis and the subsequent release of fatty acids into the circulation, bound to albumin. Low-carbohydrate diets that induce a state of ketosis (“ketogenic” diet) have been explored in relation to changes in body composition. Ketosis forces the body to burn fats rather than carbohydrates. For example, Frisch et al., examined changes in body composition after enrolling two hundred subjects in either a low-carbohydrate or low-fat diet program for 12 months. Study results showed that both diets resulted in similar amounts of weight loss (5.8 kg vs. 4.3 kg, respectively; p = 0.065), with 76% of the weight loss from FM and 24% from LBM loss in the low-carbohydrate group [17]. Another study determined whether a four-week isocaloric low-carbohydrate, ketogenic diet or a high-carbohydrate, baseline diet was associated with changes in body composition in overweight or obese men. Compared with the baseline diet, the ketogenic diet was not accompanied by increased body fat loss but coincided with increased protein utilization and loss of fat-free mass [19]. Another study evaluated the changes in body composition of obese individuals following a very low-calorie ketogenic diet for four months. After four months, the ketogenic diet induced weight loss mainly at the expense of FM and visceral FM, while preserving LM [20]. A recent review of 13 ketogenic diet studies described reductions in total body weight of 5–13 kg and accompanying decreases in LBM of 1–3.5 kg (approximately 20–25% of weight lost was from LBM) [21].
    2.3. High Protein Diet

Protein intakes above the recommended 0.8 g protein/kg/day, or 10–35% of total calories [22], are often suggested as a strategy to offset the loss of LBM experienced with caloric restriction. This is due primarily to the role protein, especially the amino acid leucine, plays in inducing muscle protein synthesis and, to some extent, in increasing satiety [23]. Research suggests that ≥2 g protein/kg body weight/day may be required to maintain LBM during a calorically-deficient diet [24].
    During a four-week 40% energy deficient diet, overweight recreationally active men consuming 2.4 g protein/kg body weight/day experienced greater increases in LBM and losses in FM than those consuming a diet containing 1.2 g protein/kg body weight/day when combined with a high volume of resistance exercise [25].
    The influence of different dietary compositions and a regular exercise program was evaluated in 161 obese women over 14 weeks. Subjects were assigned one of the following groups: (1) a high energy, high carbohydrate, low protein diet (HED) (2600 kcals; 55% carbs: 15% protein: 30% fats), (2) a very low carbohydrate, high protein diet (VLCHP) (1200 kcals; 63% protein: 7% carbs: 30% fats), (3) a low carbohydrate, moderate protein diet (LCMP) (1200 kcals; 50% carbs: 20% protein: 30% fats) or (4) a high carbohydrate, low protein diet (HCLP) (1200 kcals; 55% carbs: 15% protein: 30% fats) accompanied by a thrice-weekly supervised, circuit-type resistance exercise program. Collectively, these groups showed markedly greater reductions in body weight compared to women that did not reduce calorie intake but did the exercise program, but significant declines in LBM were still noted (approximately 11–23% of the weight lost) [26].”

Last edited by Omegamanic; 13th January 2021 at 15:04.

Master
    So many fancy diets! I think the best is still to just cook from raw ingredients, eat balanced with a visibly good mix of bright coloured veg, some carb, and mix of red and white protein on the plate; and to simply exercise more/daily - walk or run at least 10k steps a day - ideally aim for 15k a day. Grilled/roasted/steamed food is great, and minimise frying food. Although - I must admit that my one weakness is KFC!

Drink is where it is more challenging: but my rule is to avoid any drink that comes in a can, avoid drinks with added sugars, and to go easy on fruit juice. I drink about 1.5L a day of fizzy water. This has worked for me so far on a long term basis, and I still get to enjoy a huge range of food.

I think that sounds close to ideal. If you did that and measured the macros to ensure they were optimum for your needs/requirements, and made sure you got all your micronutrient requirements you’d be set.

I could easily work KFC, or virtually any fast foods for that matter, into a workable diet, for either increasing lean body mass, or losing fat.

Master
    I think that sounds close to ideal. If you did that and measured the macros to ensure they were optimum for your needs/requirements, and made sure you got all your micronutrient requirements you’d be set.

I could easily work KFC, or virtually any fast foods for that matter, into a workable diet, for either increasing lean body mass, or losing fat.
    It has been quite easy so far and a lot cheaper than buying pre-packed. I don’t calorie count at all, but just eyeball stuff as what looks like a reasonable amount? Also try not to eat until one feels full... once you do you’ve actually overeaten. Although nowt wrong with a couple blow outs! Regardless of the diet, the key is exercise. This lockdown + lousy winter weather is making it harder.

Of course you don’t have to count calories and macros, it really depends what your goals are; however by counting I can fairly accurately predicate weight/muscle gain or body fat loss over a given period.

Most people know very little about good nutrition and the macrobiotic make up of their diet, but once you get into the habit of recording on something like MyFitnessPal, after a while you get a very good handle of what size portions each meal and what’s in them, and you might not need to do it anymore or as often, until/unless you have a particular goal in mind, such as a 5% drop in body fat for summer or a holiday etc.

Anything other than that is just guess work, and using scales, a mirror and how tight your belt is to ascertain whether or not your putting on or losing fat; which isn’t always an accurate gauge.

Master
    2 weeks in and have dropped 2kg, lost 4cm on my waist & allegedly 2pts of body fat (rubbish home equipment, but hoping the inaccuracies provide a common reference rather than the actual number)

Zero alcohol (which I’m not enjoying) and 1,000kcal deficit with a focus on macro balance.

Treat night tonight to re-boost the metabolism with a curry, but will probably mixed grill madras strength to keep the fat & carbs down.

Master
    Good going Mj2k!

Two weeks in for me to and 3lbs loss this week, so 11lbs total.

Walking 15,000 steps everyday and doing a very manageable home exercise set of weights and work out 3 times a week.

I had a bad day on Monday (all thats going on in the world just got to me) and overate quite a bit. The simple rule I’m trying to stick to is ‘I can have a bad day, but never turn it into two’ so Tuesday I just got back on it and looking back today, Mondays just a blip in the past.

Knowing two weeks ago we were all facing a very tough January and February, I made those two months my ‘get fit, get healthy and lose weight’ months. I can’t go out and eat meals, socialise or go on holiday, so improving myself for when I can enjoy those things again was my plan. I’m 25% through it already and feeling so much healthier.

Goo luck everyone :-)

I’ve noticed that since Xmas I have almost accidentally and without noticing given up alcohol. Not had a glass and not missed it. Tbh until I can go to the pub to meet a mate I doubt I’ll have another drink in the house. Weight now 11 lbs down.

Devonian, we need to know which Swiss beauty you're wearing when you do your set of weights at home. Are you going to cave in and get a G-Shock?

Master
    Devonian that’s great work & impressed with the Jan Feb commitment. I’ve read that the weekly cheat day is a good boost to the metabolism (and mentally too!), so will embrace them.

I walk 6 miles Sat & Sun, try to get 3 miles each day but often depends on my job which is a little rubbish for my health - need to try and carve my own time out, but multiple clients in opposing time zones mean little time for myself!

Master
    Good going all, positive encouragement for all...

As for me, unfortunately Monday indeed didn't come this week! But next Monday it will happen come what may!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Devonian, we need to know which Swiss beauty you're wearing when you do your set of weights at home. Are you going to cave in and get a G-Shock?
    Ha ha, I’ve nearly bought a G-Shock many times on holiday but always think I’d never wear it as I’ve got my Fitbit which I use for exercise and walking.

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Devonian that’s great work & impressed with the Jan Feb commitment. I’ve read that the weekly cheat day is a good boost to the metabolism (and mentally too!), so will embrace them.

I walk 6 miles Sat & Sun, try to get 3 miles each day but often depends on my job which is a little rubbish for my health - need to try and carve my own time out, but multiple clients in opposing time zones mean little time for myself!
    Good going and I think the odd chest helps a lot. In the past I’ve found that if I’m too regimented I always crash and burn big time.

Good going all, positive encouragement for all...
    As for me, unfortunately Monday indeed didn't come this week! But next Monday it will happen come what may!
    Well I’m no one to advise on these things as I wouldn’t be here myself if I’d got things right, but I’d start tomorrow if I were you . . . . I started on the 1st which was a Friday and one of the things that motivated was a meme that was going round the internet. It said something like ‘shout out to all of those starting their New Year diet but have decided to wait to Monday 4th’. Made me laugh but made me think what’s the point of putting it off? Come Monday 4th I’d have just spent another weekend gorging and delaying the inevitable. I’d be a bit heavier and a bit further away from my goal. I also think weekends are the hardest for me so getting that out of the way at the beginning would be good motivation. It worked for me.

Any wha you just a thought :-)

Although the weekly cheat meal is unfortunately a complete myth in the sense of a positive boost to metabolism that’s perpetuated, a higher calorie day can help with mid term compliance with a diet plan, and allow you to participate in more social events, or weekend drinking/takeaway etc. But... note, it does not speed up or boost your metabolism by an amount that would negate the increase in calorific intake. You are very very unlikely to be entering a so called starvation mode, which would take extreme reduction in calorific intake over an extended period.

Some people like to split their weekly calories so that they can eat or drink a little more at the weekends, and that can be highly effective. Personally, I do like to have an occasional take away, or meet up for drinks at the end of the month (when allowed - lockdown, not the missus), and I try to reduce my carb intake a little on the days leading up to that. Generally I carb cycle, and eat more carbs on the days when I’m more active, and eat less carbs and therefore less overall calories on the days that I’m less active. My protein and fat intake stays roughly the same every day of the week.
    Last edited by Omegamanic; 15th January 2021 at 13:47.

I'll update my week 2 Keto weight loss tomorrow as I do this every saturday but I took a quick sneak preview yesterday and the loss is dramatic again. I do feel much better. The only thing is, with a diet that consists of snacking on peperami and pork scratchings I'm really having to go out of my way to get the right kind of fruit and veg in there. It seems tenderstem broccoli, savoy cabbage and french beans work well from a veg perspective and blueberries/blackberries and raspberries from a fruit perspective. Yesterday my entire daily meal plan was 200g of salted peanuts and then I did 2 pork chops with sauteed french beans for dinner and 50g of blueberries. Somehow this is healthy lol!

Are you taking a good quality multi-vit, Ryan, and making sure you are getting a healthy amount of fibre in your overall diet?

Are you taking a good quality multi-vit, Ryan, and making sure you are getting a healthy amount of fibre in your overall diet?
    Fibre is the issue. Super hard to do this on Keto which is why I'll hammer this diet until July and then get off it. Multivit yep I'm taking one.

Master
    Although the weekly cheat meal is unfortunately a complete myth in the sense of a positive boost to metabolism that’s perpetuated
    Interesting as an (ex) food technologist & scientist I found the Tim Ferris review around this fairly comprehensive when looking into the actual data.

It seemed to suggest otherwise; that said I’m too long out of that side of life these days as corporate won back science early in my career.

Master
    I'll update my week 2 Keto weight loss tomorrow as I do this every saturday but I took a quick sneak preview yesterday and the loss is dramatic again. I do feel much better. The only thing is, with a diet that consists of snacking on peperami and pork scratchings I'm really having to go out of my way to get the right kind of fruit and veg in there. It seems tenderstem broccoli, savoy cabbage and french beans work well from a veg perspective and blueberries/blackberries and raspberries from a fruit perspective. Yesterday my entire daily meal plan was 200g of salted peanuts and then I did 2 pork chops with sauteed french beans for dinner and 50g of blueberries. Somehow this is healthy lol!
    Sounds like another great loss, well done! Around 15 years ago I lost 5 stone on Atkins over a 12 to 18 month period but I found it a struggle from start to finish. Cutting carbs just made me miserable even though I loved the pork scratchings :-)

So great that this plan suits you. As one of my Directors (whose life revolves around fitness) said to me the best diet in the world is . . . . . . . The one you can stick to!

Interesting as an (ex) food technologist & scientist I found the Tim Ferris review around this fairly comprehensive when looking into the actual data.

It seemed to suggest otherwise; that said I’m too long out of that side of life these days as corporate won back science early in my career.

You’d get something like a 3% to absolute max of 10% increase on basal for less than 24hrs. Typically less than around 5%, which doesn’t come close to covering the additional calories in the average persons cheat day.

Edit: to give that some context-

At a outside 1600-1700 cals of resting energy expenditure that an amount between 51 to 170 calories at best. Most “cheat” meals or cheat days blow that out of the water.

& one more question if I might, can I ask is this the same Tim Ferris or the 4 hour working week, and the 4 hours of training body? He wouldn’t be trying to sell books or anything would he?

https://beyondgrowth.net/lifestyle-d...mothy-ferriss/

I have nothing to sell, but would like people to be better educated about health, nutrition, and weight training - for free.
    Last edited by Omegamanic; 15th January 2021 at 21:00.

Master
    My cheat day is more of a cheat meal & is all I consume; 1/2 portion of boiled rice & a chicken curry - so will still come in below my target intake. I like my curry hot, but as a result eat less sauce so fewer calories there too!

Yes the same Ferris, but if you dig into the specifics around his research & how it is all measured / tested then there is science there in how the various aspects are combined. It isn't simply the cheat day, as it could be interpreted - although his 'gorge' day leaves a lot to be desired tbh.

At the end of the day (or week), its simple calories in vs out calculation, aside from the likes of Keto which just doesn't appeal at all.

Not sure I could describe that as a cheat anything ;) but sounds like your weight and more importantly waist is heading in the right direction, which is all good.

Master
    Not sure I could describe that as a cheat anything ;) but sounds like your weight and more importantly waist is heading in the right direction, which is all good.
    Seems daft to go too extreme, is just nice not to cook one night a week!

It is wine I miss, the 0% reds have no depth & the whites are too sweet, but beats tonic and angostura for a change.

My biggest mistake was buying a perfect draft beer machine over lockdown, just too tempting when it is available so easily & so much nicer than cans / bottles.