closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Omega PO - c.12hr Power Reserve

Craftsman

Omega PO - c.12hr Power Reserve

I think my Planet Ocean is somewhat unhappy. It's been faultless up until the last few days, where I noticed the power reserve has greatly reduced. I took the watch off at around 6pm on Friday evening, only to find it had stopped the following afternoon. I've also fully wound the watch (40-50 turns) and again, it stopped the following day. I'm guessing the mainspring has potentially become magnetised? Does anyone know a good independent who could de-magnetise the watch? Perhaps also give it a thorough clean to remove all dirt etc? How much should I expect to pay for this ... or is it back to Omega for a full service?

sounds more like broken mainspring.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonimouse View Post
    I think my Planet Ocean is somewhat unhappy. It's been faultless up until the last few days, where I noticed the power reserve has greatly reduced. I took the watch off at around 6pm on Friday evening, only to find it had stopped the following afternoon. I've also fully wound the watch (40-50 turns) and again, it stopped the following day. I'm guessing the mainspring has potentially become magnetised? Does anyone know a good independent who could de-magnetise the watch? Perhaps also give it a thorough clean to remove all dirt etc? How much should I expect to pay for this ... or is it back to Omega for a full service?
    It is hair/balance springs which suffer magnetisation not main springs AFAIK so that wont be the issue. There are independents who can service the watch depending on the movement, some are OK with Co-ax and some aren't but either way I should think a full service and possible new mainspring is on the cards.

Craftsman
    Oh! :( It runs fine when wound ... From 8am this morning, it's keeping time. Does it still sound as though it's a broken mainspring?

now I am confused. how long does it runs if you wind it by hand and leave it? if it runs 40+ hours then mainspring is fine and problem is with auto winding mechanism.

Craftsman
    Apologies - If wound by hand (or via movement) and worn, it runs and keeps time. However I haven't had a chance to measure it's accuracy throughout the day. However if I take it off, it stops after c.12 hours ...

ETA: It's a 2010 Omega Planet with 2500 co-axial movement.
    Last edited by Anonimouse; 6th March 2017 at 15:46.

accuracy is unimportant. if you want to determine cause you have to wind it by hand and leave watch for 40+ hour. If it stops after 10 or 12 or 20 hours then you have broken mainspring. if it stops after 12 hours when worn, then you either have very sedated lifestyle (not moving much) or there is problem in automatic winding mechanism.

oh and there is another possibility, but I don't think it applies to your watch - early 2500A and 2500B movements had problem with escapement - some watches stopped intermittently. Yours should have 2500C movement, because Omega made changes around 2005 IIRC.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Normunds View Post
    wind it by hand and leave watch for 40+ hour. If it stops after 10 or 12 or 20 hours then you have broken mainspring.
    That! Thanks Normunds! Can you recommend a good independent to carry out the work? :)

Omega PO - c.12hr Power Reserve

I can, bet then you should send it to Latvia :) he is Omega certified.

There are several watchmakers on this very forum, I think they will soon chime in.
    Last edited by Normunds; 6th March 2017 at 16:37.