closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: MacBook 12" and occasional gaming

Craftsman

MacBook 12" and occasional gaming

Am looking at getting a MacBook 12" and have never used one before.

How are these likely to run games like COD ? Are they massively underspecced for this task or will it cope?

I'm looking at the 1.1ghz, m3, 256GB model. Or would I need the 1.2ghz, m5, 512GB instead ?

FYI this will be very occasional gaming, typically for long haul flights really.

Master
    Not sure macs are great for gaming. No substance behind this view but it's just a feeling. You could probably get a more appropriate laptop that could handle a graphic intensive game better for less money. Is there a reason you want a mac?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveR View Post
    Not sure macs are great for gaming. No substance behind this view but it's just a feeling. You could probably get a more appropriate laptop that could handle a graphic intensive game better for less money. Is there a reason you want a mac?
    I'm after something that's really light and with excellent battery life. TBH I just quite like a change from Windows OS which I've been using for the best part of 25years.

The Macs get good reviews and tick all of the boxes, I can get 10% discount too on them which helps with the price.

Depends entirely on the graphics card it has in it. Without more details we can't give more accurate advice. Personally I don't fancy playing an action shooter on a 12" screen and tiny keyboard.

I have a MacBook 12" and for travel I love it, does everything I want but I'm afraid I've never played any games on it. I don't even know how I load it on the drive?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring View Post
    Depends entirely on the graphics card it has in it. Without more details we can't give more accurate advice. Personally I don't fancy playing an action shooter on a 12" screen and tiny keyboard.

It has an Intel HD Graphics 515 card in it.

The gaming is merely to pass the time on flights rather than playing intense competitive games.

Master
    I've got one of the newest Dell XPS13 it's super light and twice as powerful as the MacBook.

It's fine for the occasional game. Might be worth a look.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bigweb View Post
    I've got one of the newest Dell XPS13 it's super light and twice as powerful as the MacBook.

It's fine for the occasional game. Might be worth a look.
    Cheaper too I suppose? Don't get me wrong, I'm a massive Apple fan and have a MacBook Pro but just don't imagine it lends itself well to gaming. Brilliant for everything else though.

iPads are good enough for my gaming needs on a flight tbh.

Master
    The XPS range isn't cheap unfortunately. They seem to win all the group tests though and I would rate the build quality on par with a MacBook pro

Journeyman
    you shouldn't have a problem with gaming, as you can just adjust settings to suit. I sometimes play games on my old 11" macbook air, and it runs fine. You just need to check if the games that you play is available for mac

Personally I'd say don't bother, Macs are notoriously poor for gaming (I own one, so personal experience). Limited looks Brady on Steam and generally poor gfx chipsets.

However, to get technical, the minimum requirements for the older COD's are an Intel HD5000, and the intel HD515 mobile chipset equals it, for performance, also, they're available in Steam for OSX. So yes, it'd run them.

My advice, find a nice ultrabook with an NVidia GTX chipset, you'd be much better off, even for occasional gaming.