closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Securing After the Fact

Master

Securing After the Fact

FFS first time ever had a burglary. Smashed the lower panel of a bi-fold to get in and out. My Aerospace bought from this very forum gone (see Lost and Found post). Wife and daughter have lost jewellery. So time to shore up for the future. Have some fence and outdoor light updates in mind now. Basically the cops advice is make your house less attractive than your neighbours. If they really want in then they will anyway.

So with regards to alarms I need a pet safe unit. I was thinking of something like the Yale Easy fit range that can dial up. They generally appear to get good reviews. The HSA6400 has the pet safe sensors.

Secondly, some cameras like the Arlo maybe? If nothing else to deter a bit more and maybe provide some evidence.

Any other thoughts?

Craftsman
    Sorry to hear about your break in. I've seen another two or three posts on here this week of similar stories, attempted or successful. So when I was woken up at 4am by a massive clattering sound downstairs I reached for the baseball bat under the bed almost instinctively.

As for alarms/CCTV, I can recommend the Yale Easy Fit stuff as being fit for purpose, it's very much tamper proof and even protects against burglars blocking the frequencies that the sensors transmit by. Just for the love of christ follow the instructions carefully, I went partially deaf for a day when I accidentally triggered the sounder in the kitchen when trying to change the disarm code from the stock one to our own. As for CCTV, I can't speak for the Arlo system (but I know a few here do have it), but I found that you have to pay above what might be considered a 'decent price' to get decent results. Otherwise you get cheaply built DVRs with hard drives that are prone to failing, and footage which is either really low resolution, or a low frame rate which would make identification of a suspect quite difficult.

If you were looking to combine two in one then the Yale Smart Home Alarm kits, which integrate with your internet router to allow you to remotely log in and arm/disarm, also have a PIR Sensor/Camera unit which can be set to record footage when the alarm is triggered. It can also be remotely viewed when the alarm is armed/disarmed and used as a nannycam type device.

Best of luck.

Master
    I can't confirm the Yale cam/pir option but I have this option on a Visonic alarm and it's really only fit to confirm if you have a real alarm or a false alarm not suitable to id perps imho.

I'd look,at separate systems for that.

One of our neighbours had a burglary a couple of weeks ago at the same time as we were getting new double glazing. Our alarm had been out of action for a couple of years so I was keen to get a new one installed after the new windows and doors were fitted. I went with a local firm who installed a Texecom system with the following sensors:

Control equipment
    1 x Texecom Premier Elite 48 Panel
    1 x Texecom Premier Elite LCDP Keypad (including 5 prox tags)
    1 x Texecom Premier Elite 32XP-W - Wireless expander to be fitted adjacent the Panel
    2 x Texecom Premier Elite Smartkey Wireless Fob
    1 x Siren box

Wired devices
    2 x CQR Wired Panic button - Front door and Bedroom
    2 x CQR Wired Door Contact - Front and back doors
    3 x Texecom Premier Compact wired Quad PIR - Kitchen, Lounge, Landing

Wireless devices
    2 x Texecom Premier Elite wireless Dualtech - Conservatory, Garage
    3 x Texecom Premier Elite wireless Quad PIR - Hall, Dining Room, Garden Office
    1 x Texecom Premier Elite wireless Shock Sensor - Garden Office

This cost £1200 and took a 1.5 days to install and programme. I don't think I'd want to do this myself, especially as you have a specific pet requirement. If I were you I'd get some quotes from local installers before going down the DIY route.

Master
    To all the people who read this and think it's a good idea, or have thought about strengthening home security, can I encourage you all to bite the bullet and do it?

We normally wait until after an incident had occurred until we take action. If we're lucky if might be a neighbour being burgled that prompts action, but if we're unlucky it's us and after the event is too late. OK it reduces the risk of a future break in, but you've already lost a load of stuff and had your home invaded.

On that note I'm off to buy an Arlo system.......

Blog Entries
    Very sorry to read this! Make sure you step up your security quickly. Burglars now know their way in, they know the current state of you security and are easily tempted to try again... Make it visible to 'others' that you're taking measures. As far as I know, this scum searches for the easiest way. Better security will make them turn away.

Menno

Master
    So sorry to hear above your break in. Definitely worth investing in a good alarm and cameras. We were broken into a few years back and had the rims off my Limited Edition M3 taken. I installed high electric gates, an alarm and cameras within a week and so far so good. Once again sorry buddy my thoughts are with you.

Sorry to hear this. From our experience with alarms I'd recommend you Give a couple of local installers a call for quotes and go for a maintained alarm from an insurance approved installer.

The maintenance contract isn't that expensive (we pay £80) and had a dialler fitted (calls us if I the alarm goes off). This isn't to be confused with a monitored system which dials a call centre who may investigate, it's an annual inspection to confirm it's all working.

I've a feeling your home insurance will go up so if you have an approved alarm on a maintenance contract will perhaps reduce your premium. I don't think many insurers recognise diy fit alarms, the professional systems aren't much more expensive, but it depends on your set up.

Depending upon the pet I would be a bit wary of "pet safe" detectors. If you can have the kitchen or someplace zoned so you can set the alarm with the kitchen on/off depending if you are leaving the dog in or taking with you.

My system (Honeywell Domonial) has "pet safe" detectors but the dog sets them off (Staffy).

Master
    Thanks for the advice so far. Ordered an Arlo system as that is the quickest thing to arrive and will further look into alarms asap.

Bought a Yale from Screwfix, easy to fit but we couldn't be arsed with the pair sensors so just boa ugh the extra door sensors, every down stairs door and window is alarmed. You have to walk past 15 houses either way to find another with an alarm so hope we are far enough down the food chain.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by justin44 View Post
    Bought a Yale from Screwfix, easy to fit but we couldn't be arsed with the pair sensors so just boa ugh the extra door sensors, every down stairs door and window is alarmed. You have to walk past 15 houses either way to find another with an alarm so hope we are far enough down the food chain.
    Out interest in my case the door, in effect, did not move. So would that be enough?

No. You would need motion sensors too.

ADT monitored £35 per month. Free installation and annual inspection.

Master
    sorry to hear of your break in.we have have had a Yale wireless system for 6 years now no problems so far,change the batteries now and then and thats about it.i dont know about the pet safe thing as we dont put the alarm on when our pet is in the house.he's a 12 stone rottie called Diesel.
    Last edited by greasemonkey; 23rd February 2017 at 08:36. Reason: sspelin

Sorry to hear this, but thank you for posting and giving me a kick up the bum to do something about my own security. Thank you...

To anyone who knows the Yale Easy Fit range, is there any wiring involved or is it all wireless?

Edited to add: I think I have answered my own question, thank you.
    Last edited by catch21; 23rd February 2017 at 11:00.

Quote Originally Posted by reecie View Post
    Out interest in my case the door, in effect, did not move. So would that be enough?
    Never thought about it like that, so they didn't even open a door to get out with the loot? Maybe I should re-think my options, I can add Wireless PIR no problem. Mind you I don't think I have any half doors.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by justin44 View Post
    Never thought about it like that, so they didn't even open a door to get out with the loot? Maybe I should re-think my options, I can add Wireless PIR no problem. Mind you I don't think I have any half doors.
    No. Hence my query/point. They punched a hole in one of my, only 2 year old, bifold door panels. I put the door age as these were top of the range modern aluminium units not some old dodgy stuff. It is actually scary how easily they broke the glass. I guess if they want in they get in! The hole was not even that big but the police say these guys can get through small windows that you would never expect. Because everything else is locked/deadlocked and no keys around they went out the same way. Plus I would have thought you really want an alarm to go off as they enter to hopefully scare them away rather than after the fact.

The door to my garden office has a shock sensor on it. Hopefully that will be enough to sound the alarm if someone tried to break or remove the glass. Failing that, there's also a PIR inside.

Layered protection is the best. So wired perimeter protection and wired PIR internal sensors. Pet protection best done by zoning your alarm IMHO. Then you can turn off a zone where your pet is in the house. Professional installation by an insurance company approved installer is the way to go. DIY installation meaningless as far as an insurer is concerned.
    Dialers and cameras are a useful addition but stopping them getting in better than taking their picture once they are in.

Quote Originally Posted by aldfort View Post
    Layered protection is the best. So wired perimeter protection and wired PIR internal sensors. Pet protection best done by zoning your alarm IMHO. Then you can turn off a zone where your pet is in the house. Professional installation by an insurance company approved installer is the way to go. DIY installation meaningless as far as an insurer is concerned.
    Dialers and cameras are a useful addition but stopping them getting in better than taking their picture once they are in.
    Indeed - my doors are triggers but this is more for entry/exit setting routine than hoping to detect a break in. A few PIRs inside to ensure coverage and an external siren sited inside to ensure no one wants to hang around & in an awkward place so hard to silence/muffle. It is also monitored and that is what I would use cameras for to check if need to worry.

Also worth having the smoke detector connected to the alarm if it is monitored I think.

Master
    Got my Arlo set up. Already trapped offspring coming in from school. So at least that works :-)

Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    Indeed - my doors are triggers but this is more for entry/exit setting routine than hoping to detect a break in. A few PIRs inside to ensure coverage and an external siren sited inside to ensure no one wants to hang around & in an awkward place so hard to silence/muffle. It is also monitored and that is what I would use cameras for to check if need to worry.

Also worth having the smoke detector connected to the alarm if it is monitored I think.
    Agreed on the smoke detector. I also have auto light switching so several internal and external lights come on if the alarm is triggered.

Quote Originally Posted by Integrale View Post
    ADT monitored £35 per month. Free installation and annual inspection.
    The Trustpilot reviews appear that they aren't a good company to deal with, is that why others are recommending using local firms?

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Pox View Post
    The Trustpilot reviews appear that they aren't a good company to deal with, is that why others are recommending using local firms?
    Personally, I wouldn't use ADT.

Quote Originally Posted by catch21 View Post
    Personally, I wouldn't use ADT.
    Slightly off topic, care to say why?

Quote Originally Posted by Oysterman View Post
    Slightly off topic, care to say why?
    Any number of reasons if you think about it. They like to sell monitored systems. Great if their patrol is 1 min away. Not so useful if they are 30 mins away. They may be quite expensive relative to a local firm.

Break in

We got broken into last August.
    Had an alarm and it went off...!
    I upgraded the system to include a 127 Db Master Blaster inside the house & a dialer that sends a txt to 4 numbers.

https://youtu.be/jeDe9IDaXy4

Master
    Two quotes so far. Both for the same amount of PIR with dial up nominated numbers. One is wireless with a couple of fobs and the other wired. Pricing looks roughly comparable as it stands. Wireless may be a bit more featured with the wired having a bit more installation disruption. Is the considered opinion wired better over all? They both have maintenance contracts.

Isn't the idea of a fob sort of self defeating? Lose your keys and assuming they know where you live they can enter and use the fob? Spare fobs in the house and again if they find it they can disarm?

When I had my system installed they asked about a fob and I gave them the above, answer was to have a fob and a pin? I opted just for the pin.

Quote Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
    Isn't the idea of a fob sort of self defeating? Lose your keys and assuming they know where you live they can enter and use the fob? Spare fobs in the house and again if they find it they can disarm?

When I had my system installed they asked about a fob and I gave them the above, answer was to have a fob and a pin? I opted just for the pin.
    The benefit of a fob is if you need to grant say the plumber access you don't have to give them your PIN or set up/cancel another PIN but agree key loss could be an issue. Although I have a record of which fob is on which keys so if I lost a set I could disable that fob.

Quote Originally Posted by reecie View Post
    Two quotes so far. Both for the same amount of PIR with dial up nominated numbers. One is wireless with a couple of fobs and the other wired. Pricing looks roughly comparable as it stands. Wireless may be a bit more featured with the wired having a bit more installation disruption. Is the considered opinion wired better over all? They both have maintenance contracts.
    I would always go hard wired over wireless given the choice. That said my Honeywell wireless system has been perfect over several years and it has meant I could add to it over time - smoke detector, additional siren & additional keypad in the garage. The batteries get replaced during maintenance although I do keep the odd CR123 handy as the keypad has occasionally signaled low battery and it is an easy replacement (they give me spares when service it if I tell them I have had to replace a battery.

Sorry that hasn't helped much - I would say wired is inherently more reliable but I have had no problems with a wireless system.

House alarms are just like car alarms in that no-one takes any notice (round my way anyway!). Many houses near me have alarms and I hear them going off whenever there is any thunder & lightning about or if there is a blip in the mains power. Another neighbour had an alarm fitted after a burglary and has had constant false alarms ever since. The new owners have never turned on the alarm (I presume, because I haven't heard it since the last people moved out).
    Fit internal sirens/external strobe lights by all means plus auto-diallers and internet txt and phone notifications systems. Both Hive and Smartthings can notify your phone when doors are opened or motion/vibration sensors are triggered when nobody is home. Internet accessible cameras allow you to check any false alarms. That Yale system looks exactly like a dedicated smart-home Zigbee system, so uses the same tech.
    What about setting up a Neighbourhood Watch in your area? Might just put some people off.
    Last edited by Gruntfuttock; 7th March 2017 at 21:16.

Craftsman
    I was told to get a dog - or at least pretend to own a dog (stickers on car and windows maybe?) - massive put off for burglars.