133. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bracelet

60 45.11%
  • Leather

60 45.11%
  • Nylon / other

13 9.77%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should the Speedmaster be on leather or bracelet?

Should the Speedmaster be on leather or bracelet?

My brother (who knows nothing about watches and doesn't really have an interest) has owned a Speedmaster Pro for more than 10 years. He wears it every day and loves it.

Recently I was talking to him about its origins and that I think it's a better watch on a leather strap. He asked me to order him one and I thought it looked fantastic but he thought it looked terrible and made the watch look "cheap".

Whilst on the leather he'd been out with our mate (who also knows nothing about watches but owns several Omega, Breitling and Rolex) who said "what the hell is that strap?" in a mocking tone.

I was asked to put the bracelet back on.

I was also reading a Speedmaster thread on here last night where the consensus of opinion also appeared to favour the leather option. I have the Bulova Moonwatch and bought the non-bracelet version as it wore so much better and is more true to its origins.

So what do you think? Bracelet or leather or even nylon / nato? I used to wear mine on a sand nato and loved it.

I've set a quick poll to test opinion.

Thanks for humouring me.
    Last edited by TaketheCannoli; 15th February 2017 at 09:00.

Craftsman
    I vote leather and in reference to another recent thread this is a black dialled watch that looks great on a brown strap.

If I was buying one today I'd have it on an Omega leather strap. It looks just fine and would make a change from all the bracelet watches.

The Speedy Tuesday looks nice on the brown leather strap too.

I actually quite like the bracelet, but my old Speedy was almost always worn on leather and that gets my vote.

All of the above, really. Mine spends most of the time on nylon/velcro.

Master
    Can't see the poll.

It should be on a big velcro NASA strap.

The speedmaster is probably the most versatile watch ever made for strap combinations. An isofrane or one of the vented dive straps are about the only thing they don't look right on.

I have a friend who I think shares your brothers mindset. Bracelet = expensive in his mind. He wears an armani thing on a bracelet and often slags my cheap watch on the crappy cloth strap (black bay on a NATO)

Master
    Blog Entries
    On a brown leather strap they look great =- mine hasn't been on the bracelet since I put it on a brown Heuerville.

I'm not so keen on black leather and would prefer bracelet to that option

100% leather for me

Omega OEM leather and deployant every time.

I do have a soft spot for the original bracelet on the vintage pre moons as that's what NY grandfather and then father always wore it on, now getting rather loose and rattly. But it looks fantastic dressed up on leather and down on the Velcro strap.

I think it looks good on either. Mine is currently on a brown Hirsch Ranger, but I've also got a black Omega OEM alligator strap with deployant clasp and the original steel bracelet. I rotate it amongst these three and a few others as I feel the need, which is one reason why I never get bored of it.

The Speedmaster is similar to a Breitling Chronomat in that imo at least they both look good on either a strap or the bracelet, the same cannot be said of all watches.

Master
    Both.

Master
    Looks best to me on the sort of vintage leather with single stitch that Hodinkee and Bulang sell.

Brown or blue leather is the one for me, the older looking the better

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Should the Speedmaster be on leather or bracelet?

Oops my bad
    Last edited by messym; 15th February 2017 at 10:30.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by samo1337 View Post
    Brown or blue leather is the one for me, the older looking the better
    Totaly agree with that!

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Oops wrong thread sorry

I wore mine exclusively on a bracelet, but if I was to get another I'd wear it on an Omega Rally Strap.

I think the speedmaster suits any strap - mine is currently on the bracelet but has been on NATO's and leather straps. Any colour and any style seems to work. There does seem to be a belief among normal non watch people that a bracelet is more expensive - just tell them in a nice way how much the OEM straps cost and that your strap collection probably cost more than their fashion brand watch! Just ordered a new perlon from Eddie for mine for the summer.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I wear mine mostly on its bracelet, which I really like. I also wear it on a NATO. I've never liked it on leather, either the strap starts too far from the head itself, so there's a gap, or if you use one of the Omega rally straps the holes stop too far from the head, so there's just leather there, and that to me looks odd.
    "A man of little significance"

Craftsman
    I find that most muggles(hence the majority) think that leather looks cheap when compared to a bracelet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    What strap did you actually buy? Mine looks great on some, awful on others.

I removed the bracelet as soon as mine arrived.

Try as I might I just cant get on with bracelets anyway. Every now and then I give them a go again and think Ive cracked it but after a week or so end up going back to something softer and more comfortable.

Speedmasters look much better on leather or nylon in my view. I had mine on a black De Modell Rally strap for a while and then alternated between Eulit perlon, Hirsch Duke and a NASA Velcro. Of these the Eulit was the most understated, more of less blending into the background and letting the watch take centre stage. I have yet to see a watch that doesn't look good on perlon.

Who really cares what other people think? Its how it looks and feels to you that's important.
    Last edited by Velorum; 15th February 2017 at 11:00.

Master
    It's one of those (rare) watches that just looks good on anything. I've got a SMP with a speedie style bracelet so would probably wear one on vintage leather.

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Standard model, definitely bracelet, but some of the special editions look nice on leather.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by PamFan View Post
    I'd say this is one watch that is equally at home on either!
    Came to say this

Sent from my MotoG3 using TZ-UK mobile app

I always aim to buy a watch on the bracelet (and if I buy one without I try to source the bracelet if there is one separately) but 80% of the time wear them on leather straps.
    If/when I get a Speedie it will be the same story I guess.

Every strap/bracelet that I have tried with my Speedy looks great to me. Currently it sports the Bond Nato: perfect!

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    I always aim to buy a watch on the bracelet (and if I buy one without I try to source the bracelet if there is one separately) but 80% of the time wear them on leather straps.
    If/when I get a Speedie it will be the same story I guess.
    V. wise, always buy on a bracelet even if you prefer the watch on a strap. False economy to do it the other way around.

I prefer the Speedy on it's original bracelet but it does work nicely on a black leather strap. As for NATO.......forget it!

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    V. wise, always buy on a bracelet even if you prefer the watch on a strap. False economy to do it the other way around.
    Hardly anything it in. Omega's OEM leather and deployant isn't much cheaper to buy separately than the bracelet. And harder to source.

Master
    It's one of those watches that's very versatile - casual look with a Nato, dressy with a leather or croc strap.
    I personally like mine on leather as I'm not a massive fan of most bracelets.

Whichever you prefer.

I've got mine on leather, but I don't have an Omega bracelet, so I probably can't directly compare.

I was quite happy with my Alpha bracelet, though, if I'm honest. I just find leather more comfortable.

Looks good on Bracelet or leather in my view, less convinced about it on a NATO/Nylon (even if NASA had it on a velcro Nylon strap - Maybe THAT is being a wannabe Astronaut! )

M.
    Last edited by snowman; 15th February 2017 at 17:57.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post

I prefer the Speedy on it's original bracelet but it does work nicely on a black leather strap. As for NATO.......forget it!

Paul
    I agree with all this especially the final comment - as some here know, I loathe NATOs and think they cheapen a decent watch.

When I had my Gemini IV I always wore it on the original bracelet, but I'd have been perfectly happy to put it on a blue leather strap as well...

Simon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    Omega OEM leather and deployant every time.

Finally! You've talked some sense.

Journeyman
    Omega OEM leather and deployant clasp for me, too.

Curved ends though, really don't like straight ended straps on a curved case.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    Curved ends though, really don't like straight ended straps on a curved case.
    Exactly this..

Journeyman
    Suits both bracelet and leather strap. Nice to swap once in a while, adds another dimension to the watch.

Craftsman
    Leather for me. My bracelet is still sat in the box.

Craftsman
    I would keep it on the bracelet for general wear, but when it came to situations that I may want to wear it with a suit, it would go on a black croc strap.

Master
    bracelet every time

I prefer it on leather but whatever floats one's boat.

Brown leather for me. I like a lot of watches on bracelets but I've never gotten on very well with Omega ones for whatever reason.

I preferred this rare one on leather

Last edited by Velorum; 17th February 2017 at 09:16.

Bracelet or black leather (looks good on ralle style). At a push a very dark vintage brown but never a normal / light brown strap

Craftsman
    I was happy to buy the Speedy on a bracelet but have left it unused in the box - I think it looks far more beautiful on leather but the bracelet is worth having for future resale to muggles.

Master
    I vote bracelet, I think it looks better on a bracelet. Does not mean that a bracelet is the most comfortable option, I tend to prefer leather as for me it's more comfortable, but I think they look better on a bracelet.

I'm a little surprised to see bracelet out in front in the poll. Reading through the responses, though, it seems like many like both (which figures, as the speedmaster is liked for its versatility). I voted strap as I don't love the modern bracelets that don't have much micro adjustment- much prefer the older ones on a speedy. Might start looking for a 1171 actually :)

Journeyman