closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Sea Dweller conundrum - what would you do?

Master

Sea Dweller conundrum - what would you do?

I picked up a nice example of a 16600, nice fat lugs and unpolished to my (untrained) eye, but it has a chip on the crystal as these often pick up.

This is were the conundrum comes in.

Rolex will not supply an accredited service centre with the crystal, has to go back to the mothership for a full service.

The upside to that is the crystal is only £100, the downside is the service at £550ish, which it might not need. It's running really well.

Now, I can buy a genuine crystal for £220 and have it fitted for about £50.

So,

Send to the mothership for service and crystal at £650
    Buy the crystal and fit it for £270
    Or live with it until it needs a service and then bite the bullet?

If it were me I'd live with it until service. Wear it, enjoy it and don't worry about putting a few more of your own marks on it. It's a tool watch after all

Option three for me, live with it and pay for a new crystal when the watch needs to go back to the mothership for a service.

An unnecessary service is a waste of money and you don't say who would fit the new crystal, but would you want anyone other than Rolex changing the crystal and resealing the watch properly.

They do get 'nibbled' - it's a realtively tall watch with a protruding crystal. You might spend the cash and then do it again next day so if you can, just wait until it needs a full service

Master
    Blog Entries
    Option 4? Can you get hold of a generic crystal to tide you over?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyR View Post
    If it were me I'd live with it until service. Wear it, enjoy it and don't worry about putting a few more of your own marks on it. It's a tool watch after all
    I agree. Unless it's a huge chip, just learn to live with it. On the flip side, you could send it to an RSC, get a new crystal fitted at service, and find out they put dings in your case. Watches are better when they're worn and enjoyed - bad stuff happens when you overthink it.

I'd try and live with it for a bit first and if it really bothered me after a while I'd go for the Rolex service.

Master
    This chip is obviously bugging you or you wouldn't be asking for opinions so my two penneth thinks you should get the crystal fitted, the watch deserves it. It could be years before it starts shouting for a service so if you don't want to pay for a full service could you live with the chip?

Master
    Yeah I think I'll just leave it. I was swaying that way anyway, and I don't baby my watches so it won't bother me much.

A shame they insist on a service though. The only way they would fit a crystal without a service was if it had a service with them (and only them) in the past 3 years, in case that information is useful to anyone.

Master
    Leave it like it is, until it needs a service. A Chip in the crystal has never bothered me personally.

You could also contact an independent watchmaker. We have one that supplies and places genuine crystals for 120 euro's.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdog View Post
    This chip is obviously bugging you or you wouldn't be asking for opinions....
    No, not really. It's just a watch after all. My OCD is pretty mild most of the time :-)

Craftsman
    Option 3 is the best. Just live with it, use it and don't worry about the crystal being chipped more.

I would certainly advise against putting anything other than non Rolex crystal on it.

Master
    Bundle it together with the service when you need to down the line a while. Nothing wrong with a little chip on a sea dweller crystal. Probably done some gardening, tidying the garage or similar !

Without a doubt I'd hold off until it really needs a service and get it replaced then.

I have the same conundrum with my 16710 GMT, beautiful watch and now the chip, as it certainly is a chip and not a nibble does not bother me as unless I am looking for it then I do not notice it.

My advice would to be to leave it until you flip it then let the market decide, sell it as is or spend and put the money onto the price.

Regards.

Keith.

Master
    That's a bugger. I scratched my 16600's crystal last year and the RSC in Singapore quoted me around $300 (about £180) to replace it. It sucks that the UK one won't do the same!

If you know anyone coming out this way it's always an option I suppose!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Live with it until it needs a service, then get it all sorted. In the meantime, feel smug that if you chip it again it doesn't matter.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyR View Post
    I agree with yourself. Given the current condition you will not have to worry too much while wearing it.

Craftsman
    Any pics? I bought a used 1460m that had a marked bezel with the plan to have Rolex swap in a new one once it arrived. Turns out it never even bothered me so I just left it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had the same, got a great price on a seadweller a few years back, chips on the crystal and a scratch on the bezel insert but running ridiculously well. I got it authenticated by Bill Rice who advised me not to bother with the service as it was running well. It's picked up another chip since I've had it so I'm pleased I didn't bother, so another option 3. That £600 odd quid will get you a great beater:)

Journeyman
    Keep it until it needs service.

Unless the chip is big, I'd go with the consensus advice.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    I had the same problem with a GV but the cost of the crystal was significantly more - around £400 plus service. Decided not to do in the end and sold it, only to buy one back again recently and ensured that all was perfect

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PamFan View Post
    The crystal is really thick (take off bezel to appreciate just how thick.)

A chip wont really matter. Live with it till service required.

Obv if you plan on serious diving get it pressure checked first.
    Can barely swim mate, so no issues there!

Keep it until it really needs a service. Or find a free Rolex certified watchmaker. It's new to me that sourcing a glass for a Seadweller 16600 is that kind of big deal.