closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Daily Beater Recommendations?

Daily Beater Recommendations?

I've been thinking about selling my small collection and picking up a daily beater. Something that I don't have to be careful about wearing.

In my current collection I have:
    - Rolex Yaughtmaster - platinum dial: a beautiful watch but not suitable for a daily beater. It's too flashy and I'm constantly worried about scratching up the bezel.
    - Rolex Datejust - too safe, I want something that has something unique about it.
    - Nomos Weltzeit - I adore this watch. It's the one that gets the most wrist time. I feel like it doesn't have enough prestige though.
    - JLC Master Quartz - doesn't get any wrist time. Not sure why, maybe because it's quartz, maybe because it's on a fancy leather strap.
    - a cheap Gshock for the gym.

What do I want?. I don't know!
    - Budget is £2-£10k, I want something that's unlikely to devalue.
    - I want something that already has a few scratches on it, so I don't have to worry about cradling it
    - On that note, I guess I want a second hand watch
    - I dress mostly smart casual. It doesn't need to pass for a dress watch
    - I'd be open to vintage
    - I want a prestigious mainstream brand - Rolex, JLC, maybe Blancpain, maybe Patek, maybe a special Omega.

Any recommendations? What's your daily beater? What's your daily beater grail?

My daily beater, or as close to it as possible is a white gold Daytona.

I would just wear what you like, and not worry too much. As you say you've got a G-Shock for anything where you might have an issue.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    I suspect your idea of a daily beater differs somewhat to that of the majority.. £10k.... Patek.. I was going to suggest a £150 Divex.

Master
    I am afraid that the stock answer is going to be a Rolex Sub ceramic the MX5 of the watch world although for me too small at 40mm.

Master
    I think an Omega SMPc or PO would fit the bill given your criteria nicely.

Master
    What about Rolex Submariner Kermit for something more unique but will hold its value.
    Great everyday watch.

Quote Originally Posted by IanBear View Post
    I think both as a used buy, would fit the use and price range perfectly.

I don't see that the terms 'prestigious' and 'beater' belong in the same sentence tbh. If you don't know what you want sell the lot, keep the G shock, see what budget you have left and buy a Rolex Sub of any description, then wear it 24/7 and don't worry about it. Wear the G shock at the gym etc (rather than leaving a watch that is worth as much as a small car in a flimsy vulnerable gym locker) - the g shock is also handy for use when you're using sledgehammers etc in the garden - why risk any mechanical movement for that sort of occurrence? And job done. Then leave the forum otherwise you'll just rinse and repeat, swap the sub for a PO, then a speedie, then the latest forum darling, until you buy another Sub

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

If you can get away with the size.

Prestigious, tool, smart and dressy (not proper dressy, but moreso than a Sub or similar), tough enough, water proof, forgiving strap that's cheap (relatively) to replace, and if it does pick up a bit of wabi-sabi then that'll just add to the cool.

Last edited by Uriel; 11th February 2017 at 12:58.

I've an all-orange Swatch that cost thirty grand quid to wear as my beater, but I like it too much and baby it, I should have just got some beaten up tatty old Sub

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    I don't see that the terms 'prestigious' and 'beater' belong in the same sentence tbh. If you don't know what you want sell the lot, keep the G shock, see what budget you have left and buy a Rolex Sub of any description, then wear it 24/7 and don't worry about it. Wear the G shock at the gym etc (rather than leaving a watch that is worth as much as a small car in a flimsy vulnerable gym locker) - the g shock is also handy for use when you're using sledgehammers etc in the garden - why risk any mechanical movement for that sort of occurrence? And job done. Then leave the forum otherwise you'll just rinse and repeat, swap the sub for a PO, then a speedie, then the latest forum darling, until you buy another Sub

I agree.

I can't believe where this forum is going when we debate a prestigious beater with a 2-10k budget! You have a datejust and a g-shock.

Master
    Come on It's not really a daily beater is it? £2k to £10k
    In 'my' definition the beater part makes it's somthing you'd wear if there is any danger of something happening to it - a scratch, knock or it taking a 'beating'- somthing tough that you nor be too sad if it got trashed

I think either you've got money to burn, your definition of 'daily beater' is a million miles away from mine or your looking for a daily wearer ???

Although a manager my role is sometimes hands on, my collections pretty low end (most expensive SMP quartz) I do wear them all to work I'm very mindful and I'd be really pissed if I knocked or damaged one
    A beater for me - a sub £50 quartz I'd pop on to do some diy etc

Master
    As well as the daily beater question I need a car to drive 20 miles to work each day.....what do I buy? Ford Focus 2.0TD or Audi R8???

Seems confused between daily wearer and beater.
    There is no such thing as a daily beater grail:-)
    Plenty to choose from between 2 to 10k for a daily wearer. Others can't decide for you.
    I don't have a daily beater as I don't beat up my watches daily.
    Last edited by RAJEN; 11th February 2017 at 13:20.

Master
    what about a royal oak?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by NigeG View Post
    As well as the daily beater question I need a car to drive 20 miles to work each day.....what do I buy? Ford Focus 2.0TD or Audi R8???
    Looking for a daily beater car?:-)
    Mine would be a Ferrari. But would have to be pretty-owned with scratches!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post
    what about a royal oak?

I wear an AP diver most days which i find surprisingly comfy haha.

Journeyman
    I'd suggest this. Even though it is the lower end of your budget, you can't go wrong with it...

Thanks all! You've given me something to think about. I've added a Kermit Rolex and a vintage Blancpain Fifty Fathoms to my list of potentials. I'd be interested to hear more.

Quote Originally Posted by mjc1216 View Post
    I am afraid that the stock answer is going to be a Rolex Sub ceramic the MX5 of the watch world although for me too small at 40mm.
    40mm is perfect for me. But a ceramic sub/ GMT is a little too 'safe' for me. "MX5 of the watch world" - ha, I think you hit the nail on the head there!

Quote Originally Posted by IanBear View Post
    Interesting. I'm going to have to research those a little. I'm only really familiar with the Speedmaster. I see a lot of Omega SMPc on eBay - must be a very popular watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    What about Rolex Submariner Kermit for something more unique but will hold its value.
    Great everyday watch.
    Yes! This is what I've been leaning towards. I've also been looking at vintage pepsi GMTs (1675)

I don't see that the terms 'prestigious' and 'beater' belong in the same sentence tbh. If you don't know what you want sell the lot, keep the G shock, see what budget you have left and buy a Rolex Sub of any description

Then leave the forum otherwise you'll just rinse and repeat, swap the sub for a PO, then a speedie, then the latest forum darling, until you buy another Sub
    Yup, I feel that's what most people would do. It's annoying as a ceramic GMT used to be my grail, but now, I'm not sure if that would satisfy me forever.

..and yes, you're totally right about the forum. It's probably the root cause of my dilemma!

Quote Originally Posted by Uriel View Post
    If you can get away with the size.
    Prestigious, tool, smart and dressy (not proper dressy, but moreso than a Sub or similar), tough enough, water proof, forgiving strap that's cheap (relatively) to replace, and if it does pick up a bit of wabi-sabi then that'll just add to the cool.
    I tried a Blancpain on the other day, I felt it was a little to big for my skinny wrists. I'm always looking out for a vintage one - I saw a nice 'non radioactive' one a few months ago but missed out on it. - I'm not sure if the vintage ones are smaller, but they're definitely less shiny with a smaller bezel

Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    In 'my' definition the beater part makes it's somthing you'd wear if there is any danger of something happening to it - a scratch, knock or it taking a 'beating'- somthing tough that you nor be too sad if it got trashed

I think either you've got money to burn, your definition of 'daily beater' is a million miles away from mine or your looking for a daily wearer ???
    Yup, I think I'm looking for a 'daily wearer', not a 'daily beater'. My mistake. But you know, I'd love to have a watch with prestige that could also take a knock against a wall or a lamp post - I hate having to worry about what's on my wrist.

Quote Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post
    what about a royal oak?
    Always wanted a Royal Oak, but I was put off by the all of the horror stories about them breaking down and the expensive service.
    Last edited by Scott; 11th February 2017 at 13:55.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BenN View Post
    I'd suggest this. Even though it is the lower end of your budget, you can't go wrong with it...

+1 for this. The Tudor Pelagos (used) or BB (new or used) would be my choice in your shoes.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Looking for a daily beater car?:-)
    Mine would be a Ferrari. But would have to be pretty-owned with scratches!
    I know where there's a nice 348 that would fit the bill :)

A ceramic seadweller with a rubber B strap to save the bracelet being too mullered?

Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    In 'my' definition the beater part makes it's somthing you'd wear if there is any danger of something happening to it - a scratch, knock or it taking a 'beating'- somthing tough that you nor be too sad if it got trashed.
    It just depends on what you do daily. A bricklayer or mechanics daily beater might be different to an office workers beater.

Day to day for me is a cycle to work, 8/9 hours in an office, home, play with kids, maybe a light gym session, then a bit of TV and web browsing. Life doesn't get much more extreme than that. I don't envision a scenario where a watch could get trashed, unless my arm did too, and I'd be much more concerned about that tbh.

Daily Beater Recommendations?

Unusual , with prestige, available second hand but from the manufacturer...

http://www.lindewerdelin.com/shop/lw-vintage-timepieces

Several options here at various prices, rubber straps and bracelets available

Last edited by MarkO; 11th February 2017 at 15:29.

Pre Ceramic Submariner or GMT?

Craftsman
    For years I've used my GMT IIc as a daily wearer and holiday watch. I work in an office so it's not exactly a beater but its been desk diving, down the water slides at centre parks, in the sea, on the beach, out cycling, running, etc. Even with the polished centre links all scratched up it still looks great.

Coming up to 8 1/2 years and still keeps excellent time. No doubt due a service soon and I'm tempted to ask for no polish as if comes back fresh I'll probably be reluctant to wear it !!

The fifty fathoms above looks lovely, don't think I'd want a leather strap for a daily though.

If the subs too small what about a DSSD?

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    A ceramic seadweller with a rubber B strap to save the bracelet being too mullered?
    Yeah that could be a nice option. I used to love my Explorer on a rubber B.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    It just depends on what you do daily. A bricklayer or mechanics daily beater might be different to an office workers beater.

Day to day for me is a cycle to work, 8/9 hours in an office, home, play with kids, maybe a light gym session, then a bit of TV and web browsing. Life doesn't get much more extreme than that. I don't envision a scenario where a watch could get trashed, unless my arm did too, and I'd be much more concerned about that tbh.
    Ha, that's about as extreme as my day gets too!

Quote Originally Posted by PAM580 View Post
    For years I've used my GMT IIc as a daily wearer and holiday watch. I work in an office so it's not exactly a beater but its been desk diving, down the water slides at centre parks, in the sea, on the beach, out cycling, running, etc. Even with the polished centre links all scratched up it still looks great.

Coming up to 8 1/2 years and still keeps excellent time. No doubt due a service soon and I'm tempted to ask for no polish as if comes back fresh I'll probably be reluctant to wear it !!

The fifty fathoms above looks lovely, don't think I'd want a leather strap for a daily though.

If the subs too small what about a DSSD?
    That's exactly the type of watch I'm looking for. You're convincing me on the GMT. DSSD is a nice option too - something a bit different, although I do value the GMT complication more than the DSSD

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    The level of bewilderment displayed at the idea of wearing an expensive watch as a daily "beater" can be a little bit irritating.
    People who aren't particularly into watches do it every day of their lives but some on here get their knickers in a twist at the very thought of it.
    If you want a beater Rolex / omega / whatever. Do it. That is quite literally what they're designed for.
    This one spent 20 years on an army wrist.

I see less point in spending thousands on something harder than a coffin nail and shielding it from the life that you lead. They're supposed to go where you go.

I think that the word "beater" quite clearly means that it'd be something that would see some abuse. My "beater" is the watch I wear to the beach, running or swimming, doing DIY or work on the car. I don't plan to come to any harm doing any of these, but sand may get in the bezel, the seals might fail, the case or crystal might get scratched up a bit, or travelling in Africa the watch may be relieved from my posession.

Any watch that I wouldn't wear for this sort of thing but would wear day to day is what some might call a daily wearer.

A watch that I wouldn't wear on a daily basis is what some might call a safe queen, and what I would consider a failure as a wristwatch*

(*unless of great sentimental value)

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    The level of bewilderment displayed at the idea of wearing an expensive watch as a daily "beater" can be a little bit irritating.
    People who aren't particularly into watches do it every day of their lives but some on here get their knickers in a twist at the very thought of it.
    If you want a beater Rolex / omega / whatever. Do it. That is quite literally what they're designed for.

I see less point in spending thousands on something harder than a coffin nail and shielding it from the life that you lead. They're supposed to go where you go.
    Absolutely!

There is no point saving best for best - every day should be your best choice. Most watches can be refinished if it needs to be, but I can't see the point of leaving a £5k in a drawer and wearing it a few times a year. I had a work colleague who would wear a Casio 91-W most days, and a Rolex for very few special meetings, but happy to drive a car worth many times that every day and leave it in a public car park - madness I tell you! :) ;)

I see no difference in terms beater or daily wearer - for me it's generally the same thing. I will admit that the forum has probably affected me too much, and now I take off my expensive watches more often if I'm working on a car/bike, or other activity where there is a high probability they will get scratched - but it's still not very often!
    Last edited by Omegamanic; 11th February 2017 at 18:25.

You get me :). After that excellent rant in adding the McQueen Explorer 2 to the list. Also might be statisfied with a polar Explorer (going full circle as I used to have one!)

Journeyman
    The answer is Rolex.

Awesome to see that , that watch isn't being wrapped in cotton wool!

Craftsman
    Just get a SKX007 like everyone else ;-)

Seriously though, if you've never tried one.... Nah too low brow.... I don't know though - maybe .......

Mine is this one,

The most worn watch i have used for work and all sorts, its even taken a hit off a solid warehouse floor, still keeps coming back for more though.

Agreed. Have a SD4000 as an work beater and it has taken everything in its stride, including being subjected to huge electromagnetic fields for long periods of time, worn when gardening, house renovations, the reason it was bought was because it could take a knock or two.

Craftsman
    playing with nasty, poisonous, toxic, carcinogenic and mutagenic chemicals in a daily basis? rolex can do..

Sent from my Redmi 3S using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Evangelos View Post
    playing with nasty, poisonous, toxic, carcinogenic and mutagenic chemicals in a daily basis? rolex can do..
    Indeed. That's a great choice as a high-quality everyday-wear watch, as is any steel Rolex. The Oysterquartz has quite a lot of charm and character as well, plus they're a rare sight in real life.

Personally, I'd say that the OP already has the ultimate do-anything watch with the Datejust, assuming it's an all-steel example. However, as he seems to find it a bit conservative, I'd suggest the 16710 GMT II, as it gives you three bezel insert options and two bracelet options in a great-looking, slim and robust watch that's a pleasure to wear.

£10K will still get you a nice steel Daytona as well, which also do just fine as daily watches, in my experience. Mind you, any steel 5-digit reference — and of course 6-digit, though some are a bit too polished for my taste — will work perfectly for regular wear, which is exactly what they're intended for.

If I wore a 'daily beater' worth £10K to a lot of the London pubs I used to frequent and then wandered out at closing time I might be rather concerned for my personal safety. Many must be leading rather sheltered/cosseted lives if they think it's worth the risk. Even if you're insured to the hilt, why risk a kicking over a watch? - that's what the cheaper 'beaters' in the collection are for isn't it?!

With 10K you can buy almost one G shock for every day of the year, just kidding, but they sound too much for a daily wearer, good for you. The FF suggested would be a good choice, IMHO or a Rolex model, such as the subc and you keep the change. I personally don't like the yaghtmaster and I think Rolex is a good choice, because they are among the toughest mechanical watches in the market to withstand everything on a daily use. Also, I would go for a diver as a daily wearer, in order to be able to withstand different activities.

If I wore a 'daily beater' worth £10K to a lot of the London pubs I used to frequent and then wandered out at closing time I might be rather concerned for my personal safety. Many must be leading rather sheltered/cosseted lives if they think it's worth the risk. Even if you're insured to the hilt, why risk a kicking over a watch? - that's what the cheaper 'beaters' in the collection are for isn't it?!

I either live a sheltered life and don't go to such pubs where getting mugged is highly likely, or just wear a shirt. How could a you tell if this chap is wearing a Casio or Patek...

I didn't think people really did this, but maybe they do...

I didn't think people really did this, but maybe they do...

Only people who believe wearing such a suit (with a bow tie FFS! Who is it the new Doctor Who????) is acceptable

M

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    Yeah that could be a nice option. I used to love my Explorer on a rubber B.

- - - Updated - - -

Ha, that's about as extreme as my day gets too!
    Scott, that would be my Explorer ;)

In all seriousness my suggestion was going to be for the 214270 Explorer 39mm.

To be honest I don't think most people would recognise brands like Patek or JLC. As for Rolex even I once mistook a friend's Seiko skx009 with a GMT whilst having dinner.
    Last edited by Apersonofsorts; 14th February 2017 at 18:12.

Journeyman
    My daily watch is a sub date ceramic. It's the second most expensive watch I own, but as a daily watch easily the best and most robust. I don't see the point in leaving it for the odd occasion. Looks good and suits all occasions. If I was ever worried I was going to somewhere I might be mugged I probably wouldn't wear it there, but on the whole don't go to places I worry about my safety. Things can happen, but that's life and unfortunate, but if we worried about all the maybes in life, we would just be sat at home.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_esearch View Post

I miss it dearly. I hope you're enjoying it! And thanks for the intro to the forum!

Quote Originally Posted by mr_esearch View Post

I did so..

Banned
    Blog Entries
    My two dailies on the farm are very much beaters and alternately GS 9F or a SDGO001.