closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Killer Rice

Killer Rice

I don't understand this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-38910848

If this is as it's presented then why aren't billions of people in India and South East Asia tumbling over with arsenic poisoning? After all, it's one of their staples.

If it ain't fit to eat don't let it go on sale as food.
    Boiling rice in a lot of water only to throw said water away removes all soluble minerals and nutrients whereas getting just the right amount means nothing is lost. Get rid of the arsenic upstream.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

We need to stop giving a s**t about certain things and just go on with our lives. There are others out there doing it and they don't benefit from some of the things we have here in the West yet they still thrive (one way or the other...).

Master
    I remember my grandmother always used to soak rice overnight before using it in cooking "to remove the bad things in it".

Apparently doing this removes all but a midges of nasty elements.- this was confirmed recently in a program called "trust me I'm a doctor" on the tellybox.

B

Oops sorry just clicked on the link and realised it was he to whom I referred.

Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring View Post
    I don't understand this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-38910848

If this is as it's presented then why aren't billions of people in India and South East Asia tumbling over with arsenic poisoning? After all, it's one of their staples.

"The consequences of arsenic poisoning have been seen most dramatically in Bangladesh, where populations have been exposed to contaminated drinking water.The result has been described as a "slow burning epidemic" of cancers, heart disease and developmental problems."

In their tests, I don't understand why they didn't also check the result of washing the rice before cooking.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    If it ain't fit to eat don't let it go on sale as food.
    Boiling rice in a lot of water only to throw said water away removes all soluble minerals and nutrients whereas getting just the right amount means nothing is lost. Get rid of the arsenic upstream.
    It's a good point but tbh if you're in the UK and you are dependent on rice for "soluble minerals and nutrients" I think you have a little more to worry about than potentially elevated levels of arsenic.

I buy Uncle Ben's Basmati. Yes okay it means I'm lazy but its the right portion done in the two minutes i can be bothered to devote to cooking rice. I just won't wallpaper my jail cell with arsenic-laced wallpaper like Napoleon supposedly did.

I suffered the most awesome trots after reheating a tuna risotto once.

It left my body so fast, I actually achieved zero gravity for a moment, all in the safe confines of my bathroom. Mind you, Andrex shares have since gone up!

It put me off rice for ages

Quote Originally Posted by messym View Post
    I suffered the most awesome trots after reheating a tuna risotto once.

It left my body so fast, I actually achieved zero gravity for a moment, all in the safe confines of my bathroom. Mind you, Andrex shares have since gone up!

It put me off rice for ages
    Is there anymore information you could share on your ordeal, i don't think we had nearly enough there?! ;)

I suspect the cause of your misfortune was much more likely to be the tuna than the rice.

Quote Originally Posted by watchcollector1 View Post
    Is there anymore information you could share on your ordeal, i don't think we had nearly enough there?! ;)

I suspect the cause of your misfortune was much more likely to be the tuna than the rice.
    Not if rice had started to ferment

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Yes, cooked rice left at room temperature for a few hours (like those rice salads you see at parties) is a notorious cause of food poisoning.

Quote Originally Posted by Newbear View Post
    Yes, cooked rice left at room temperature for a few hours (like those rice salads you see at parties) is a notorious cause of food poisoning.
    Indeed,Bacillus cereus is the culprit usually, I think.
    occurs when rice is left out/reheated etc
    Mrs Goat is an environmental health professional and has encountered it many times

Wouldn't that be rice wine?

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    Wouldn't that be rice wine?
    I bloody whined after, I can tell you

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    "The consequences of arsenic poisoning have been seen most dramatically in Bangladesh, where populations have been exposed to contaminated drinking water.The result has been described as a "slow burning epidemic" of cancers, heart disease and developmental problems."

In their tests, I don't understand why they didn't also check the result of washing the rice before cooking.
    So it was the contaminated drinking water? Am I missing something here? 6 cheap whisky and 3 beers later........
    No studies in India,China, SE asia? Of all the countries Bangladesh is chosen, call me a conspiracy theorist.....
    Last edited by 72bpm; 10th February 2017 at 23:05.

Why is Moseley specifying "inorganic " arsenic, is there any other kind?

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sestrel View Post
    Why is Moseley specifying "inorganic " arsenic, is there any other kind?
    Yes, Arsenic can form organometallic compounds.

Paul

Craftsman
    So nuking 2 day old Chinese food is a good or bad thing?

I'm with the OP. I'm 37 and oriental. Eaten rice most days of my life and I'm still standing. We normally rinse the rice out twice and then cook it using the absorption method.

Same with reheating rice too. Never been a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by KNog View Post
    Is there such a thing as 2 day old Chinese food? It never lasts longer than next day breakfast for me and most times I have it cold from the fridge.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Quote Originally Posted by 72bpm View Post
    No studies in India,China, SE asia? Of all the countries Bangladesh is chosen, call me a conspiracy theorist.....
    You're a conspiracy theorist. Let me DYRFY (do your research for you). A quick Google reveals:

Why the problem is particularly bad in Bangladesh: How the West poisoned Bangladesh

Further reading, if you're interested:

Food Standards Agency: Arsenic in rice

Food & Drug Administration: Arsenic in Rice and Rice Products

Quote Originally Posted by KNog View Post
    That's a separate issue. Reheating rice can release toxins so care should be taken. I rarely leave any on the plate so it isn't a problem!

Master
    This is interesting reading. My wife is Thai and eats rice EVERY day, often reheating it the following day.
    Never had any issues.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    You're a conspiracy theorist. Let me DYRFY (do your research for you). A quick Google reveals:

Why the problem is particularly bad in Bangladesh: How the West poisoned Bangladesh

Further reading, if you're interested:

Food Standards Agency: Arsenic in rice

Food & Drug Administration: Arsenic in Rice and Rice Products
    So it was the water!!! The plot thickens! Rice is a water intensive crop.

Master
    In the uk I shifted a lot of rice out of my diet .

Potatoes are a better bet and mash can be alternated for rice as an accompaniament in a lot of dishes . Probably more nutritious as well.

Funnily enough I'm sat in Mumbai and rice is actually the healthy option as the alternative is roti/nan whihc is carb and fat heavy.

The average life expectancy in India is considerably lower than the UK ( about 63 was mentioned to me) environment is obviously incredibly toxic in the big cities with the smell of burning plastic never that far away. However given the prevalence of rice in the diet I suspect the arsenic thing may also be a factor.

I used to quite like that Ebly , pearl barley stuff . Haven't seen it for years though.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.D View Post
    The average life expectancy in India is considerably lower than the UK ( about 63 was mentioned to me) environment is obviously incredibly toxic in the big cities with the smell of burning plastic never that far away. However given the prevalence of rice in the diet I suspect the arsenic thing may also be a factor.
    Yet rice is a staple of Japan and their life expectancy is higher than the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    Yet rice is a staple of Japan and their life expectancy is higher than the UK.
    If the only factor was arsenic in rice, could be that arsenic soil levels are greatly different in the two countries.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    If the only factor was arsenic in rice, could be that arsenic soil levels are greatly different in the two countries.
    It is possible, and anything can be grown well, or poorly. I'm personally inclined to believe that this is just another scare story, like we see every other day of the week. Plenty of cultures eat plenty of rice and seem to do just fine, so I'll just keep on happily eating it :)

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Is there such a thing as 2 day old Chinese food? It never lasts longer than next day breakfast for me and most times I have it cold from the fridge.
    Me too, and Indian food cold for brekkie!
    That's it, I'm off to the takeaway tonight.

Blog Entries
    I reckon it's a conspiracy by the Spud Marketing Board....

(I'm also from a culture that eats rice like it's going out of fashion)

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    As I do with curry. Cracking breakfast