closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Speeding -aagghhhh

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Arrgghh. I'm glad I live somewhere where I can travel at 120mph+ (Sometimes well in excess off) and enjoy the roads and the car/motorbike as intended.

I have a real issue with the nanny state mentality.
    No doubt that is a very enjoyable experience but just remember that if you are travelling at 120mph, you are moving at 176 feet per second. God help you if you ever come off but it was your choice and also accidents tend to be unexpected and you only know about it a second or two before it happens, so it's a high risk situation to be in.

If you could guarantee that you would be the only casualty, then fair enough, you can knowingly take your chances, but at that speed you insurance is null and void. What worries me is what happens to the other person in the accident. Their lives will probably be destroyed.

Quote Originally Posted by solwisesteve View Post
    I look at it a slightly different way.. Speed limits are there to protect us from people that don't know how to drive. Just because you drive faster than the speed limit does NOT mean you aren't a very safe and competent driver. The problem is there are a lot of drivers that aren't safe or competent; some of them at ANY speed. If the general standard of driving was improved then the roads would a) be a lot safer and b) traffic would move a lot better. However this is something I've commented on before and it didn't go down well then either.
    Pretty much agree with all of that, that speed limits are partly there as an attempt to "catch all" and cover the lowest common denominator.
    Speeding is a little like smoking; many people do it even though there are potential negative consequences, both for the individual and those around them. In short it's inappropriate speed, not inappropriate speeding, that's the greater threat, though seeing as individuals will have differing views as to what inappropriate speed is you have the situation we have now whereby maximum limits are set. It doesn't mean that driving at 100mph by an alert, competent driver in a suitable vehicle in safe road conditions isn't safe, however that's where the grey area creeps in - how do you define what an alert, competent driver in a suitable vehicle is?
    For the record, I'm partial to the odd smoke and I also, on occasion, exceed the speed limits.
    Last edited by CardShark; 11th February 2017 at 14:28.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Sorry but driving at 87 mph is selfish and irresponsible and if natural justice were to be done, you would be banned for a bloody long time.

The chances are 3 points and a £100 fine at the most and that is why idiots continue to carry on driving dangerously.

Our roads are over crowded and removing dangerous people from the road leaving more road for safer drivers has got to be a good thing.
    Never broken the speed limit then? Really?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chinnock View Post
    Never broken the speed limit then? Really?
    I have held a car driving licence since 1969 and in 2002 took a conscious decision never to speed again when a good friend of mine crashed through someones garden wall, took out their greenhouse and narrowly missed 2 children who were playing on the lawn. I have never broken the speed limit since then. He was going 53 in a 40mph zone.

I did brake the limit almost daily before then and was stopped 6 times over 20 years on the Motorway for doing 85mph or thereabouts. I managed to talk my way out of it on every occasion but I do not regard it as something to boast about.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Don't prostrate yourself about it MFB, seriously.
    +1

You won't win this.... Just shrug and move no.... btdt.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    I've lost a mate to your philosophy.... Killed at 106mph on his bike when a VW pulled out and he hit it. If he was going slower that would have been avoidable.

http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/te...ision-10846215
    No, that's not his philosophy. Your mate was riding recklessly with the most unfortunate circumstances.

It's completely different to riding on the IOM where it's allowed when not in built up areas.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
    The problem with exceeding a speed limit is, that no matter how competent you are, other drivers will not be expecting to react to any speed in excess of that limit and therefore will not be making the correct decisions re your position and timing.
    What speed are most people travelling on the motorway if one keeps up with the traffic flow (M25 excepted, Lol)?.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    I kind of find myself in agreement with the 'speed is bad hmmkay' crowd. By most quantifiable criteria driving at a lower speed will reduce the chances of having an accident or if an accident is unavoidable, the severity of the accident. It also reduces fossil fuel usage and pollution so with my sensible trousers on not breaking the speed limit is a good idea an I try not to do it.
    That said, if I'm stuck behind someone doing 20 mph less than the speed limit in good conditions I will overtake when safe to do so using most if not all of my cars performance to reduce my exposure to danger (being on the oncoming traffic side of the road), this may involve me breaking the speed limit. I also regard this as a courtesy to drivers behind me allowing them a greater opportunity to use a potential gap in oncoming traffic to also overtake.
    The real issue though is that driving is seen as a right and not a privilege. If I were PM, drivers would have to pass a refresher course in order to renew their license every 10 years, once a driver had retired (at whatever age) they would have to retest with greater frequency based on their age starting at 5 years and increasing to a minimum of once every 6 months at extreme age. Also meaningful sight and hearing tests would have to be passed too. But then I'd also foolishly spend on education, public transport and healthcare too so maybe I'm mad.

Quote Originally Posted by julian2002 View Post
    I kind of find myself in agreement with the 'speed is bad hmmkay' crowd. By most quantifiable criteria driving at a lower speed will reduce the chances of having an accident or if an accident is unavoidable, the severity of the accident. It also reduces fossil fuel usage and pollution so with my sensible trousers on not breaking the speed limit is a good idea an I try not to do it.
    That said, if I'm stuck behind someone doing 20 mph less than the speed limit in good conditions I will overtake when safe to do so using most if not all of my cars performance to reduce my exposure to danger (being on the oncoming traffic side of the road), this may involve me breaking the speed limit. I also regard this as a courtesy to drivers behind me allowing them a greater opportunity to use a potential gap in oncoming traffic to also overtake.
    The real issue though is that driving is seen as a right and not a privilege. If I were PM, drivers would have to pass a refresher course in order to renew their license every 10 years, once a driver had retired (at whatever age) they would have to retest with greater frequency based on their age starting at 5 years and increasing to a minimum of once every 6 months at extreme age. Also meaningful sight and hearing tests would have to be passed too. But then I'd also foolishly spend on education, public transport and healthcare too so maybe I'm mad.
    Totally bonkers......last sentence only.

I'm with you re re-testing - BUT only if it is a test of roadcraft i.e not some arbitrary test of manoeuvres that folk seldom actually do!!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    Try for the speed awareness course if you can.
    They don't do speed awareness courses in Scotland afaik. Fine and points is the only option.

Master
    does attending the course mean that you don't get the points?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by johny View Post
    does attending the course mean that you don't get the points?
    Yes

Master

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by alanm_3 View Post
    Yes
    thank you. must remember to only speed in England then to avoid the points.

thank you. must remember to only speed in England then to avoid the points.
    They'll only let you do the course once in (I think) three years. Get caught again or be above their upper threshold and it's still points and a fine!

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    They'll only let you do the course once in (I think) three years. Get caught again or be above their upper threshold and it's still points and a fine!
    thank you. at least in England you get the option. according to the posts in this thread Scotland does not even have the option.

Blog Entries
    thank you. at least in England you get the option. according to the posts in this thread Scotland does not even have the option.
    resigned to the fine plus points :(

But you have to tell your insurance company and you will find out that goes up. A hidden cost. And you have to have it on any insurance quotes you apply for for 5 years. If you don't disclose a conviction and you then make a claim on your policy, your claim could be invalid and your insurance company can refuse to pay out. Even though it comes off your licence in four years.

Penalty points are effective for 3 years from the date of conviction (which is the date of the offence for Fixed Penalty Notices) but remain on your licence for 4 years.
    http://www.motorlawyers.co.uk/offenc...nts_system.php

Fas est ab hoste doceri

Quote Originally Posted by imb1 View Post
    But you have to tell your insurance company and you will find out that goes up. A hidden cost. And you have to have it on any insurance quotes you apply for for 5 years. If you don't disclose a conviction and you then make a claim on your policy, your claim could be invalid and your insurance company can refuse to pay out. Even though it comes off your licence in four years.

Penalty points are effective for 3 years from the date of conviction (which is the date of the offence for Fixed Penalty Notices) but remain on your licence for 4 years.
    http://www.motorlawyers.co.uk/offenc...nts_system.php
    Does the '4 years' on a licence matter?

What is important is 3 years for totting purposes and 5 years for insurance purposes.

How are they even put on a plastic licence?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    How are they even put on a plastic licence?
    Held on a DVLA database that anyone can check if you provide them with a check code.

https://www.gov.uk/view-driving-licence

Quote Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
    Just read that if you have an accident on the German Autobahn travelling faster than 80mph, your insurance is void. Is that correct?
    Not void but you automatically get part of the blame, even if you don´t cause the accident. Recommended Speed on the Autobahn is 130 km

Quote Originally Posted by sammyl1000 View Post
    Hopefully you for get a speeding course. I have mine in a couple of weeks. Can't wait.....

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Where did you get caught?
    "A man of little significance"

I think telling your insurance company is entirely up to you since they can't actually check if you've been caught and gone on an educational course.

I used to drive lots of fast cars very fast and now take my pleasure from driving slow cars fast. You don't get your kicks in an MX-5 from its acceleration or top speed but with the addition of decent tyres, brakes and uprated dampers (currently having Meister Rs fitted to mine) you can have a hell of a lot of fun without breaking the speed limit*.

This is probably the answer, although I'm not sure what to:

https://topgearuk.wordpress.com/2010...lski-fiat-126/

* by very much. An NA or NB MX-5 isn't much fun above about 100.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    I think telling your insurance company is entirely up to you since they can't actually check if you've been caught and gone on an educational course.

I used to drive lots of fast cars very fast and now take my pleasure from driving slow cars fast. You don't get your kicks in an MX-5 from its acceleration or top speed but with the addition of decent tyres, brakes and uprated dampers (currently having Meister Rs fitted to mine) you can have a hell of a lot of fun without breaking the speed limit*.

This is probably the answer, although I'm not sure what to:

https://topgearuk.wordpress.com/2010...lski-fiat-126/

* by very much. An NA or NB MX-5 isn't much fun above about 100.
    Surely the answer is D....A.....F.....

M

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post

M
    Fill your ( racing ) boots.

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/DAF-33-Vario...ATCHING_ACTIVE
    Cheers..
    Jase

M
    Bearing in mind where he lives, I think it's a very good choice.

Blog Entries
    Just to conclude the thread.

As expected £100 plus 3 points.

Fair result !

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MFB Scotland View Post
    I received today a notice for doing 87 mph in a 70 (dual carriageway). I was going too fast and I accept that I was not being responsible.

Any idea of points / fines etc in Scotland . Just want to brace myself ?

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    Before someone beats me to it;

MFB is that Mr Fast B******d?
    I got pulled coming through Forfar at warp factor 6 in the late 80,s. Had to slow down to give the police a chance to catch me
    Instant ban. Which was well deserved.

Quote Originally Posted by MFB Scotland View Post
    Just to conclude the thread.

As expected £100 plus 3 points.

Fair result !
    £100 plus 3 points for me too, no offer of a speed awareness course, 37 in a 30 (that was a 40 a few weeks earlier) in England, Hurrumph

Banned
    Blog Entries

M
    It is

My other fun car is a 4x4 ragtop which I usually drive top down with the 300 days/year sun here. No fun either going fast.

Foxy is totally correct, going slowly sideways is the inherently safer way to freude am fahren.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    Bearing in mind where he lives, I think it's a very good choice.
    The 77, oops 340, is proving to be a VERY good choice too btw.: Not enough power/speed to get you into trouble, enough to push it to the limits of the mountain roads and surprisingly good handling keeping it controllable. You just need he balls and skills to do that limit pushing.

On the highway 80-90 km/h is a 'natural' optimum for comfortable cruising. That avoids paranoia for the speed traps* that are sprouting up all around and the dozen extra helicopters above.

* sudden and often not all that apparent lowerings of the speed limit with the flasher right at the entry point.
    On the coastal highway the base max is 120 but it is a stressing puzzle to keep track of reduction. Cruising at 80 solves it. All four of our cars sort that inherently.

Blog Entries
    2 year 10 months ago I accumulated 9 points in the space of 2 weeks, mainly due to not paying attention as I had more important things on my mind, my mother was in hospital with a serious heart attack and I was rushing to the midlands from Somerset on a regular basis and hands up got caught by variable speed cameras, average speed and man on a bridge, I didn't contest them as I was guilty and would not use Mother as an excuse, nearly 3 years later I have just had a prosecution notice through for 45 in a 40, question is am I eligible for a speed awareness course? I did do one around 4 years ago but through you couldn't apply for one if on 9 points as it's a licence lossing threshold having 9 points, any help advice or comfortable reassurance would be helpful. Ahhhhhhh

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie169 View Post
    2 year 10 months ago I accumulated 9 points in the space of 2 weeks, mainly due to not paying attention as I had more important things on my mind, my mother was in hospital with a serious heart attack and I was rushing to the midlands from Somerset on a regular basis and hands up got caught by variable speed cameras, average speed and man on a bridge, I didn't contest them as I was guilty and would not use Mother as an excuse, nearly 3 years later I have just had a prosecution notice through for 45 in a 40, question is am I eligible for a speed awareness course? I did do one around 4 years ago but through you couldn't apply for one if on 9 points as it's a licence lossing threshold having 9 points, any help advice or comfortable reassurance would be helpful. Ahhhhhhh
    Yes -if the SAC was 3 years or more so best to check. If less than 3, 'fraid you're in trouble. Send the S172 notice back regardless as that's 6 points for not doing so!

Done a bit of Googling Frankie, but it looks like you can be offered the course on 9 points.
    ( This thread is a bit old though )
    http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=1150419

p.s assuming the offence wasn't in Scotland.

Blog Entries
    So I won't be picking up the soap in the showers anytime soon which is a relief!!! I did a speed awareness course about 4 years ago, quite informative and amusing at one stage, Chinese guy sat next to me all though it, when he was asked if it benefited him at the end he just starting jibbering in Chinese!!, he either didn't understand a word throughout or was playing up to them , did raise a snicker or two in the back row.

Will keep you up to date for others in this situation, annoying thing is in June I lose all 9 points, hopefully !!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brighty View Post
    £100 plus 3 points for me too, no offer of a speed awareness course, 37 in a 30 (that was a 40 a few weeks earlier) in England, Hurrumph
    There are limits within which a speed course will be offered. If you're going too far above the limit you get the points/fine automatically.

From memory, the guy at my speed course said it was something like "Anything over 20 in a 20 zone" and around 10% above limit for all other speeds and you won't be offered a course

Quote Originally Posted by Scepticalist View Post
    There are limits within which a speed course will be offered. If you're going too far above the limit you get the points/fine automatically.

From memory, the guy at my speed course said it was something like "Anything over 20 in a 20 zone" and around 10% above limit for all other speeds and you won't be offered a course
    Indeed, their emphasis is on marginal speeders and education, those who don't really see what harm a few mph will do, the sessions are geared up around how much those few mph matter and what it means on the road distance and reaction and braking time etc.
    I have to say, since my last course, Ive really slowed down and just feel so much more relaxed on the road, not competing for lane 3 all the time etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    We should cut the national speed limit to 55mph to reduce fossil fuel consumption and environmentally damaging emissions. Anyone doing over 70 is a selfish prick. If you need to go faster, get a train.
    Now I am 100% against excessive speeding but I would propose raising the limit to 80mph for cars/motorbikes on the basis that cars are much safer than before. However I would further propose anyone caught doing more than 83 would be 3 points/100pounds, 87 6 points/300 pounds, 92 9 points/500 pounds, 100 instant ban/1000 pounds. The reason for the strange numbers is to allow for a small error in a car speedo.

But the real reason I am writing this is I find this "If you need to go faster, get a train" highly offensive, take a train? You can only do that *if* there is a train to take - we don't all live in cities, where I am from we don't even have a motorway let along a railway.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankie169 View Post
    UPDATE

Sent a letter off with my request for a speed awareness course, although the police letter said I couldn't apply for a course due to being on 9 points they have allowed me to attend one, hence saving me a court appearance.

It's reassuring that they do take note of circumstances like having a clean licence for many years before I got the 9 points, and being clean for 2 years 10 months since the last time. Just need to be more careful in the future.