closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Questions for the guitarists: practice amp options

Master

Questions for the guitarists: practice amp options

I'm a reasonable acoustic guitar player but recently picked up my first 'electric' in ages, a rather nice thick body semi-acoustic perfect for a bit of jazz playing.

I haven't owned any amplification gear in maybe 20 years, since my last band broke up in the usual acrimony (in a falling out over the favours of the female vocalist, natch).

Any advice on something I can use for home amplification? - I guess the options are some kind of box that will feed an input on my hifi preamp, or a stand-alone practice amp. A few effect options would be nice but I have no aspirations to become the next Steve Hackett.

I'm an all-tube hifi guy so tubes appeal but not essential, and I don't' really want to spend a lot of cash .. I'm really not into 'gear' as such I just want to get a pleasant noise out of this new guitar something under £100 would be sensible.

I don't like headphones BTW.

For a reasonable jazz sound on a budget I'd look for one of the older Roland amps, something like an early Cube. I have an old JC50 which is a bit louder than a practice amp which I picked up on eBay a few years ago for well under £100, a bargain!

Master
    A bit above budget but the Yamaha THR5/10 modelling amps are superb and give a whole variety of sounds from one box.

Edit to add link to review: http://www.musicradar.com/reviews/gu...a-thr10-516846

Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post
    A bit above budget but the Yamaha THR5/10 modelling amps are superb and give a whole variety of sounds from one box.

Edit to add link to review: http://www.musicradar.com/reviews/gu...a-thr10-516846
    I'm glad you said that as I've literally just ordered a THR5a.

If you want to stick to valves have a look at the blackstar HT1-R and Bugera V5, I would think you'd be able to pick either up in used condition for around your budget.

For your budget a Fender Mustang I would fit the bill.

Plenty of models to choose from or invent your own.

The supplied Fuse software has plenty of options.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Marshall do a nice "acoustic amp" that I've played on before - you might get lucky on the used market/Gumtree. Here's the new spec: https://www.andertons.co.uk/p/AS50D/...tic-guitar-amp - RRP is £250 but I've seen them at 1/2 that used.

Its geared up for a semi acoustic - nice warm, vintage tones.

Another vote from me for the Yamaha THR5/THR10. Really "useable" amp.

I have an Orange Micro Terror which is a tiny 20w tube head and 8" cab.
    Picture below to give you an idea of the size of it.
    It's a really great little amp and gives you that classic Orange Crunch. For me though, I always run my pedal board through it.
    Without reverb and a few other favourites it leaves me wanting more, something you don't have to worry about with the Yamaha.
    Don't get me wrong, I rate the Orange very highly, but I rate my pedals even more so!

Craftsman
    I've three amps in the ballpark for practice amps. I started with a roland micro cube which is great little amp for the money, but I wanted a bit more variety so purchased the Yamaha THR10C which I love as it sits under the TV and I can have it up and playing in seconds and it doesn't offend SWMBO in looks or volume. Other models are available and the range they cover are wide, it also doubles as a nice little speaker for iPhone etc. The latest amp is a Boss Katana as I wanted a proper size amp. I got the 100w but a 50 is available switching down to 25 and 0.5 watts. It has good tones out of the box but includes 15 diff effects using Boss pedal models.
    Anyway the last two referred are prob a bit pricey new, but I think worthwhile looking at as I think you'll miss a step when you decide you need a new one (which you will) :-)

Decide whether you want an amp for a mancave or something handy so you can pick up and play any time you have 5 mins spare and go from there. If you have any questions feel free to PM.
    Good luck!

Another vote for the Yamaha TRH10 from me. I've got four amps at home and the THR10 is my default choice for noodling around on at sane volumes. Great tone out of the box with no real need for pedals and very versatile. If you like your jazz and blues etc the THR10C might be a better option as it has more subtle old school tones.

Here's a good demo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWjUVQbHLnM

The new Boss Katana gets great reviews but I haven't tried one yet.

Cheers,
    Gary

I wouldn't put your guitar through your standard hifi amp.

Guitar music can hold a lot of nasties, high energy transient spikes and harmonics. In general you need an amp that can cope with these without going pop. Standard hifi amps aren't particularly good at that bit. Much better to fire away into a purpose-designed guitar amp.

Back in the day, the cabinet shaped the sound and got rid of the harmonics - that's in general why sound reinforcement for live music picks up the sound from the amp/speaker cabinet with a microphone.
    Last edited by catch21; 10th February 2017 at 10:15.

Master
    Thanks guys all really helpful. Looking at all the options but the Yamaha looks cool, blues options probably most so as I'm mainly a classical musician (the main instrument I play at home is my harpsichord!) with a bit of a background as well in jazz and blues, so the blues option is likely coolest. No real interest in a heavy rock or metal sound etc.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegary View Post
    Another vote for the Yamaha TRH10 from me. I've got four amps at home and the THR10 is my default choice for noodling around on at sane volumes. Great tone out of the box with no real need for pedals and very versatile. If you like your jazz and blues etc the THR10C might be a better option as it has more subtle old school tones.

Here's a good demo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWjUVQbHLnM

The new Boss Katana gets great reviews but I haven't tried one yet.

Cheers,
    Gary
    I have just got the Katana, the 0.5 watt setting makes it great for considerate home use, and it is very well put together.

I have yet to give it a full try out, and having returned to guitar after 20 years of not playing I am not sure how to do it justice... but with a million and one digital options it has a lot of potential.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by will852 View Post
    Another vote from me for the Yamaha THR5/THR10. Really "useable" amp.

I have an Orange Micro Terror which is a tiny 20w tube head and 8" cab.
    Picture below to give you an idea of the size of it.
    It's a really great little amp and gives you that classic Orange Crunch. For me though, I always run my pedal board through it.
    Without reverb and a few other favourites it leaves me wanting more, something you don't have to worry about with the Yamaha.
    Don't get me wrong, I rate the Orange very highly, but I rate my pedals even more so!

The Orange setup looks really cool. Never really understood how the head and cab system works? Is it as simple as the head provides the amp and tone and the cab outputs it? If so, how do you go about matching it up and does it then allow you more options to mix and match?

Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    The Orange setup looks really cool. Never really understood how the head and cab system works? Is it as simple as the head provides the amp and tone and the cab outputs it?
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post

If so, how do you go about matching it up and does it then allow you more options to mix and match?

More options of different speaker/cab options obviously, as long as the impedance of amp and speakers match you are good to go.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by kk View Post
    Thanks guys all really helpful. Looking at all the options but the Yamaha looks cool, blues options probably most so as I'm mainly a classical musician (the main instrument I play at home is my harpsichord!) with a bit of a background as well in jazz and blues, so the blues option is likely coolest. No real interest in a heavy rock or metal sound etc.
    Yamaha amp is great. I play badly, finger picking and blues come folk music. I got the blues amp metal blue a mate got the off white version both sound great in the home plus you can set up sounds via the software and the battery and mains option. Think I prefer the white amp sound maybe more rounded but not a big difference. Not disappointed and looks OK in the living room. Cheers
    Last edited by Naesuk; 11th February 2017 at 17:07.