closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Fitted wardrobe recommendations?

Master

Fitted wardrobe recommendations?

Hi

Looking at getting a fitted wardrobe for one of the bedrooms and thought I'd see if anyone here had any experience or recommendations?

The room has a sloping ceiling and we'd like a nice clean fit so getting one from somewhere like Ikea is a non-starter. Looking for something clean and modern, probably normal opening doors as opposed to sliding doors.

We have had a visit from Sharps to get going but not sure who else is out there??

We had Hammonds, but only because the insurance were paying.

Ended up costing just shy of 10 grand for a wardrobe...

Master
    I would avoid Sharps like the plague if I were you - they are a typical direct sales organisation.

We did contact Hammonds, but the woman who came round was appalling (again they are just a typical direct salesperson still using double-glazing sales tactics from the 1980's).

In both cases the product was fine, but the pathetic layout/design, moronic salesperson, lack of product knowledge and way that they only sell what they are comfortable with (as opposed to what you want) all wrapped up in a silly price... but don't worry there's a discount... oh and buy on high interest bearing credit and you will get it cheaper...

Rant over... I will lie down now

I live in Surrey and used Sussex Bedrooms - he was (and may still be) a one man band, but he was really good and very helpful with the design. He may be someone worth talking to - it probably depends where you are in London,

We had a quote from Betta Living (but never followed through) for a wardrobe and a desk in my sons room of £10k ish, his ceiling is pitched. I wasn't interested and I think by the final phone call it was down to £3k.

A friend that's a tradesman (electrician) was adamant a proper carpenter could do a better job with better materials for the same price and if I had got my own way with the wife (solid furniture now in place) I would have gone down that route. Supporting local trades people and all that!

Master
    I used to work for Sharps - its just overpriced chipboard/mdf in my opinion. All the fitters are subcontractors so who you get is a bit of a lottery.

I worked for them in the early 90's in there factory and we used to process £1m worth of order a week, which I think was an amazing amount and still do!

Get a local firm or carpenter to do the job.

Master
    We had a friend of a friend who was recommended and did a bespoke set in my daughters room, fantastic quality. Unlike tbe t**t who has been doing the bathroom...

Master
    We had Sharps round when we moved in nearly 3 y ars ago - the rep was anything but, and the prices obscene. Never Again, waste of everyone's time even getting a quote...

I had Sharps quote about £12k to fit out our dressing room, in the end employed a local cabinet maker who was fitting out narrow boats, he charged just under £4K and the quality of his work is incredible. We went for American Walnut and I'm surprised the floor hasn't collapsed as they must weigh a tonne.

Master
    We moved into our current house in 2004 and the main bedroom had been fitted out by the previous owners using Hammonds. I have no idea what they paid but the furniture has proved long lasting and still looks like new.

As as we are now fitting out our daughter's bedroom we approached Hammonds again and have had a good design presented at a fairly reasonable price so we will use them again. I believe they guarantee their work for ten years, certainly we have had no problems regarding our own bedroom.

The only town in Britain with Caesar's name
    Contact a couple of local cabinet makers or joiners.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterM View Post
    I would avoid Sharps like the plague if I were you - they are a typical direct sales organisation.

We did contact Hammonds, but the woman who came round was appalling (again they are just a typical direct salesperson still using double-glazing sales tactics from the 1980's).

In both cases the product was fine, but the pathetic layout/design, moronic salesperson, lack of product knowledge and way that they only sell what they are comfortable with (as opposed to what you want) all wrapped up in a silly price... but don't worry there's a discount... oh and buy on high interest bearing credit and you will get it cheaper...

Rant over... I will lie down now

I live in Surrey and used Sussex Bedrooms - he was (and may still be) a one man band, but he was really good and very helpful with the design. He may be someone worth talking to - it probably depends where you are in London,
    I would echo sentiment about Hammond's. The chap spent two hours measuring up and fiddling with his CAD programme to then quote £10,000 to stick up a few hanging rails. Is amazing they are still in business. We have other family members who have been happy with the end product (hence the appointment) but if you've got a little bit of an idea of what you want.....Get a joiner in and he can build it for a lot less.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    We used our local John Lewis. Although pricey, the design service, quality of materials of the wardrobes and workmanship was very good.

Matt...
    Last edited by matt109; 9th February 2017 at 16:35.

Whereabouts are you based? I had a local carpenter build me some (he came highly recommended). I've got a sloping roof too and wanted to maximise space.

I'm in West London