closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which porsche 911 would you have bought?

Which porsche 911 would you have bought?

I was having my MOT on Monday and there was a Porsche magazine from 2007 with a buyers guide on the 997. I've always wanted one so thought i'd pick it up, it was an interesting read.

What was particularly interesting though were the classifieds at the back. I guess I knew it to a degree but I couldn't believe the way things have gone in just a decade.

Which one would you have bought back in 2007? One would have lost you in the region of £20k, but the other one would have made you in excess of £100k. Not sure if i'd have made the right decision. Would you?

image by flickr-73, on Flickr

Well in 2006, I bought the GT3 I still have

and whilst it's worth quite a bit more today than I paid, from a purely financial perspective, I should not have sold this to fund it

The car I really should have bought, was the 993RS I was offered in early 2005 for £45k
    Last edited by andy tims; 7th February 2017 at 16:18.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    Blog Entries
    100% the 964. I was a fan of Bad Boys

Neither, I've never liked 911s

M.

Blog Entries
    ....the best one, of course!

Anyway, I why would I buy one 911, when I could buy 4 MX-5s?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by vagabond View Post
    ....the best one, of course!

Anyway, I why would I buy one 911, when I could buy 4 MX-5s?
    Because a good 911 is worth 5 MX-5s.

991 Turbo S

I was offered an immaculate 993 C2 with 82k miles about four or five years ago.

For less than 14 grand. Can't remember exactly how much as I've tried to wipe the memory away.

*goes for a lie down*

These are silly money -

The 964s are probably my favourite of the "modern" 911s

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    The car I really should have bought, was the 993RS I was offered in early 2005 for £45k
    I dread to ask but how much would it be worth now?

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    991 Turbo S

In 2007? You might have struggled!

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    I dread to ask but how much would it be worth now?
    Circa £200k if I'd kept the mileage down.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Blog Entries
    This one:

Found in a barn by a Dutch guy in the US as a very early 911 (better: 901 - it's one of the first 200 cars built) in 1996. Sold for $9,999.00 and shipped to the Netherlands. Restored by Rescue 911, a Porsche restoration company near Amsterdam. Sold to the Middle East about a year ago for 675,000 euros...

Since then, not the most expensive 901 I've seen. There's a 1M euro 901 on display somewhere near Arnhem (the town known from Operation Market Garden)

Need I say more?

Menno
    Last edited by thieuster; 7th February 2017 at 17:20.

Ouch.

In 2007? You might have struggled!

Sorry I didn't read the thread title properly

Like most I probabaly would have bought the 996, my business partner had a 993 Turbo back then, he just slightly wishes he still has it !
    Last edited by Vanguard; 7th February 2017 at 18:02.

Mine are both super suburban compared to that 964, but when I first left uni I seriously looked at buying a 1980s 911SC which was great value in the mid 2000s. Then 3 years ago I could have bought a 996.1 GT3. But didn't. Both down to me trying to be sensible and save money. Both appreciated vastly and I'm now looking at 997s which I will inevitably not buy because I need to be sensible, buy a field and build a garage first... need to be more impulsive!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I'd have been happy to have bought a rusty early 70s 911E or S, or a 1989 930 10 years ago.

Master
    The 964 is the only 911 I’ve ever wanted. That said, I drove a fairly new 911 turbo on a track day last year and that was fantastic!

About 7 years ago I was walking near the museums in Kensington and saw a 993 C2 which made me double take and sparked my interest. They're still relatively affordable but in reality I only want a single car in my life and so I am very happy with my 997.1

In 1990 my dad left the Air Force after 25 years and bought a 1976 911 Targa in black for 15k, ( very mid life crisis I know ) kept it for I think 3 years, lovely it was, I sometimes wonder what it would be worth now.

Craftsman
    With regard to the original question, difficult call but the 964 is air-cooled and a proper Porsche the 996 is a kettle. Like to think I would have chosen the RS and still had it.

Craftsman
    I'm the muppet who sold my 82 930 5 years ago and bitterly regret doing so. WRO5S where are you?

Craftsman
    At the risk of getting shot by Porsche afficianadoes this one in this colour.

If the above is anything to go by we tend to sell the things we shouldn't and not buy the things we should. I took amother couple of snaps of classifieds I didn't put up but how about a lovely 1979 930 turbo in white for £27k or a 1969 911t for £14k. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Certainly helps with my man-maths case next time I want to buy a boys toy!

Quote Originally Posted by gettinon View Post
    I'm the muppet who sold my 82 930 5 years ago and bitterly regret doing so. WRO5S where are you?
    Greetings from the muppet who sold his 1989 Carrera 3.2 5 years ago (after 17 years of ownership)! Worst car selling decision I ever made.

Quote Originally Posted by spud767 View Post

The coolest ever Porsche with the coolest driver ;)

Quote Originally Posted by spud767 View Post

This rather beautiful Singer (photo from Jalopnik site) isn't dissimilar...but it's probably 500k.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Monkey's £14k 2.4S. Nice car to drive but in need of some internal rust removal!
    "A man of little significance"

Master
    This :-) not the 3.3 but the proper 3.6! £230000....... be nice to have bought it ten or so years ago

. [IMG][/IMG]

There is no doubt that reading Porsche adverts in old car mags is depressing-
    Wasn't there a time around 2001 when secondhand 996 Carreras were being advertised for
    the same price as a 2.7RS.....now worth circa 650 grand- mental.

Thank God I bought my 993 before the price hike of recent years- I couldn't afford one now.

The most startling increase in value though is ex racing cars- I recall reading that in the early
    1970's you could pick up old 1960's ex racing Aston Martin or Jaguar cars for about £1500.........
    at the time no one particularly wanted them...£1500 was still a fair wedge in the 70's ..but the same cars
    such as Jag D types are now selling for 3 or 4 million.....

Master
    My mate was offered a 930 Martini for £24K about seven years ago but the car broke down when he arranged to meet the seller. For one reason or another they never got together and that was that. He still regrets it to this day.

The 964 I owned was the only car that properly frightened me. Lovely looking thing though.

Last edited by benny.c; 7th February 2017 at 23:33.

Craftsman
    930 flat nose for me.

Master
    I had a 996 C2S in 2007 and it was my first proper sports car. I remember the day I collected it, I think I cried a little....................

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Padders View Post
    Because a good 911 is worth 5 MX-5s.

Nice one :-)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tz-uk73 View Post
    If the above is anything to go by we tend to sell the things we shouldn't and not buy the things we should. I took amother couple of snaps of classifieds I didn't put up but how about a lovely 1979 930 turbo in white for £27k or a 1969 911t for £14k. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Certainly helps with my man-maths case next time I want to buy a boys toy!
    The problem with a lot of these examples is you would have had to store it away in an air conditioned garage on stands for the last 40 odd years with just the occasional short run every few months to keep things nice and moving :-(

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob153 View Post
    This :-) not the 3.3 but the proper 3.6! £230000....... be nice to have bought it ten or so years ago
    What?? I haven't looked at prices for nigh on 20 years since I left the scondhand Porsche trade but is this what the 3.6 turbo is worth now? Not even as exciting as the older ones to drive :-) The people I sold them to must be over the moon.....

Quote Originally Posted by solwisesteve View Post
    The problem with a lot of these examples is you would have had to store it away in an air conditioned garage on stands for the last 40 odd years with just the occasional short run every few months to keep things nice and moving :-(
    I know what you're saying but the examples in the mag I gave above were just 9 years ago! It's fascinating just how much the market has changed.

Master
    Is it really that different than the situation with 'classic' watches? It is all a result of the cheap credit bubble. How many 321 Speemasters or Autavias or 60s Mil SM300s or Subs could you have got for peanuts in 2007? A hell of a lot more than now. The rise of the 911 is just another result of the dearth of investment opportunities elsewhere, it is not happening in isolation. An increase in credit costs and interest rates in general will see all these forms of asset classes soften considerably.
    Last edited by Padders; 8th February 2017 at 09:48.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tz-uk73 View Post
    I know what you're saying but the examples in the mag I gave above were just 9 years ago! It's fascinating just how much the market has changed.
    Agree... it's often amazing to see how what's 'in' changes even over a 9 year period. ;-)

Which porsche 911 would you have bought?

The prices now really are just bullsh*t.
    A whole generation will never be able to enjoy the Porsche experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Which Porsches were fitted with the crystal ball option?
    ______

​Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by Ribena36 View Post
    Not really, the Boxster and Cayman cover most bases, unless you're normal height like me and don't fit in them comfortably (in which case there are some excellent front-engined Porsches available). The 986 Boxster S hits 60 in about the same time as the 993 C2 and has only a fractionally lower top speed. If you want a 911 you can buy a good 996 for under £20k and a good 997 isn't a huge amount more. 911s have never been cheap, it's just the classics have gone out of sight.
    "A man of little significance"

I was in exactly this situation in 2001 - which Porsche to buy.

I was offered a long nose 2.4 Targa for £7K - need lots of work to make it nice. A yellow 993 C2 - nice but £19,999 and a 964 RS for £26,000

Loved the RS 964, but why pay £26,000 for fragile wheels, no back seats, harder suspension, 4 pot brakes (on the rear), horrible coloured seats and a bit less weight

So having read lots of articles decided that the one to find was a LHD C2 manual as this was the best one to have. Roll one months of looking at leaky, knackered, crashed and repaired, non-existent service history, etc, 964's I finally found the one for £12,500 from a guy in Plymouth.

And I still have it.

In 2006 I was offered a one owner 1993 964 Turbo 2 (the Bad Boys car) with 46K on the clock for £42K - I pleaded with the wife who agree on the provision of a one in, one out and I could not do it. It finally sold for £38K.

At the same time I was also offered a Blue 968 Club Sport for £7K but instead got a 2002 325 3 Series for 15K. Now the 968 CS would be worth about £30K+ where as the Beemer is now worth about £2K.

Stupid, stupid, Stupid.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Ribena36 View Post

Not sure I 100% agree. Some of the less desirable models are still mighty good cars and can be picked up for decent money (if you try to put out of your head what they cost 10 years ago). There was never any such thing as the really cheap 911 as everything at that end needed work and work on 911s costs £££££££ if done properly.

I remember when an original 993 GT2 was on sale for £90k ...

One recently sold in sept 2016 for $2.4 million.

12 years ago i saw a 930 go through an auction in wandsworth. It was from the Kensington & Cheslea council car pound.
    Picked up for being parked illegally, kept for the required time without any contact from the owner so sent to auction.. it made £11k

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post
    Greetings from the muppet who sold his 1989 Carrera 3.2 5 years ago (after 17 years of ownership)! Worst car selling decision I ever made.
    Tell me about it. had my 1986 Carrera for 12 years. It even had the rare air-con. Why o why o why did i sell it. Why .. It even had 15inch Fuchs wheels (which now cost an absolute fortune) so it handled like a go-kart.

Used to do track days, drive it to the track, thrash the nuts off it and drive it back home. While at the track days i had the opportunity to drive a 993 SRS clubsport and a GT2.
    All it cost in 12 years ownership was servicing (i did all my own servicing) and one set of brake pads and discs, an oil pressure switch and an ECU relay.

In 2002 i was once on the track at the same time as a two seater F1 car. The experience will stay in my mind till i die.

imgupload

screenshot software

screenshot on pc
    Last edited by steptoe; 9th February 2017 at 14:48.

Blog Entries
    I like it. I cannot think of a colour not suited for a 911. No other car can wear the colour 'bin liner grey' and still look good!

Master
    Maybe it's just me.....but Porsche model numbers are a complete mystery to me..

Craftsman
    993 Turbo if it was within my budget.

These really have gone crazy, I can recall the days of air cooled 911's being around £5k; probably their lowest ever value, but equally what about a BMW Z3M Coupe (the bread van), god I love those too, this should be a post of what car do you wish you'd bought but never did, or car you sold but wish you'd kept. Someone start a thread on this please I've already had one too many Whiskeys!

I replied to this thread earlier. But had momentarily forgotten about the 959. OMG. what a beautiful looking car and the one I'd have over all others

They were relatively affordable 10 years ago. No way for me now :(

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    Maybe it's just me.....but Porsche model numbers are a complete mystery to me..
    in a nutshell.

The Original 911 was infact actually 901 - they had to change the name to 911 because Peugeot got miffed.

This was the 911 2.2, followed by the 2.4, the 2.7 and then 3.0, (the 930 was the Turbo).

Then the 3.2 - and breath. (These are all 911's).

1989 Porsche launched the 911 964 - 3.6 Twin spark.

1993 came the 911 933 - 3.6 - which was the last of the aircools. (Well actually are oiled cooled).

After this came the

911 996, 911 997, 911 918 and then 911 991 - these are water cooled and called "kettles"

all of the above are 6 pots.

Each model typically remains in production for 4 years. There is also differences between the bodies so the early models were called E, S, and T - some had long noses and short noses, soft tails and hard tails, wide body and narrow body's. then you have the Coupe, targa and cab.

Plus there are different performance models like the RS, RSR, NCT, Cup, GT2, GT3 and GT3RS.

Finally there is a 911 912 - which has the same shape, but is only 4 pot.

To be honest its a bit of a science. But a great one.

oh yes - carrera 2 = 2 wheel drive. Carrera 4 = 4 wheel drive.
    Last edited by Andyg; 9th February 2017 at 23:54.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche