closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Purchasing Rolex at Schipol airport

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    Certainly not.

Gassan's Rolex pricing policy was changed in July 2018:

Interesting - do we know if the Rolex Boutique (as opposed to the Gassan store) is in this departure hall 2 & 3 area mentioned? I recall the price equated to around £5,650 when I converted it at that day's rate, which was about £600 below UK retail.

Anyway, it was 5 months ago now and I'm happy to accept that such deals will no longer be found.

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Surely - an approach to someone would have produced a solution? I would certainly put more store in Schiphol solving that situation than Heathrow, Gatwick or most other EU hubs?

I've traveled extensively via Schiphol and to a lesser extent the other EU hubs, and still hold Schiphol as being the epitome of how a hub should operate.
    The queue was about 10 deep across and just a mass of people. We were in danger of missing our connection. It looked like they were training immigration officials and everything was taking 4 times as long. Once we were through I begged anyone with an electric buggy to give my wife a lift to the gate which was about 1km away as she was in considerable pain by then and they all refused saying they had to be pre-booked and instead offered me a wheelchair.

Craftsman
    Certainly not.

Gassan's Rolex pricing policy was changed in July 2018:

Bugger

I've totally misunderstood this in my emails to/from Gassan recently. For some reason I thought we fell outside the Schengen area, and the buy/fly price still applied!

Doh!

So, just so I get it through my clearly thick skull, UK to Schiphol for a discounted purchase does not work any more? However, transiting via Schiphol to non EU still works

Quote Originally Posted by Kidsteruk View Post
    Bugger

I've totally misunderstood this in my emails to/from Gassan recently. For some reason I thought we fell outside the Schengen area, and the buy/fly price still applied!

Doh!

So, just so I get it through my clearly thick skull, UK to Schiphol for a discounted purchase does not work any more? However, transiting via Schiphol to non EU still works
    No discounts at all on Rolex.

However, if you leave the EU, you can shop duty-free, which however leaves you with the obligation to tax your purchase upon re-entry into the EU.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Craftsman
    No discounts at all on Rolex.

However, if you leave the EU, you can shop duty-free, which however leaves you with the obligation to tax your purchase upon re-entry into the EU.
    Thanks Raffe

Better to look an idiot here, than at the point of purchase!

Craftsman
    Interesting points about the purchase costs. I might be flying through Schiphol in 2 weeks time so i’ll ask the staff in the boutique

Purchasing Rolex at Schipol airport

Quote Originally Posted by EmilA View Post
    Interesting points about the purchase costs. I might be flying through Schiphol in 2 weeks time so i’ll ask the staff in the boutique
    Don’t bother. Close this thread down.

This thread was relevant in 2015 when you could get the discount, buy 1.4 Euros for a £ and Rolex has not hiked European prices.

Well done to those who bought from Gassan then.

As for everyone else, you’re 4 years too late.

Don’t need anymore updates of no SS stock, or unpopular models that can be bought cheaper in the UK.

Craftsman
    I’ve just paid £7150 for my Batman Jubilee, speaking to a Belgian pal today he told me the list price over there is €8550 which at €1.15 to the £ is roughly 4% dearer than here .

Still worth buying a SS watch over there compared with the grey market here , not withstanding the availability issues at the moment.

Yes prices are currently working out more expensive after exchange conversion - my credit card bill shows I paid £200 more than the £5,750 UK RRP for my Submariner 114060 last week. Not that I'm complaining - hell, I paid no attention whatsoever to the price I was so shocked and delighted to be getting it! (It was Gassan in the city though rather than the airport)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Halitosis View Post
    Yes prices are currently working out more expensive after exchange conversion - my credit card bill shows I paid £200 more than the £5,750 UK RRP for my Submariner 114060 last week. Not that I'm complaining - hell, I paid no attention whatsoever to the price I was so shocked and delighted to be getting it! (It was Gassan in the city though rather than the airport)
    Matches up almost exactly with 4% difference.

Go back 19 years for me buying my Sub ND in Zermatt , haggled a discount at the dealer , 7% springs to mind , Sub date , Sub ND and Sea-dweller all in stock , wish I’d bought one of each with hindsight.

Well done with the purchase, enjoy it.

I miss flying through Schipol, used to always call in and see the new watches, if I take my new job then I’ll be flying through for the next decade, who knows I might be able to get a new GMT lol...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Don’t bother. Close this thread down.

This thread was relevant in 2015 when you could get the discount, buy 1.4 Euros for a £ and Rolex has not hiked European prices.

Well done to those who bought from Gassan then.

As for everyone else, you’re 4 years too late.

Don’t need anymore updates of no SS stock, or unpopular models that can be bought cheaper in the UK.

Very true, I feel.

And even then, was Schipol any better than any other airport with a Rolex dealer?

Craftsman
    milgauss, YG sub and WG sub here now that's all

Craftsman
    Something strange going on here. Went back an hour later and lady presented a Chinese man a TT sub. She never mentioned that when I spoke I her

Master
    I won’t bother going to look then, stuck here for 4hr30 min now.

Quote Originally Posted by forest172 View Post
    Something strange going on here. Went back an hour later and lady presented a Chinese man a TT sub. She never mentioned that when I spoke I her
    Good to see not everyone discriminates against the Chinese. Are you sure he wasn't Thai? You know they are supposed to have more credibility as watch enthusiasts 😀

Craftsman
    Gone are the days when if you timed it right you could snag a steel Daytona

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Master
    No idea why I’ve just thought about this, but I’ve just wondered with all the restrictions and lack of flying what’s going on at Gassan? Are they still getting all their stock and it’s just sitting at the airport? Or is the odd traveller picking up a dozen steel watches at a time? People used to get lucky and pick up Daytona’s and hulks at crazy prices when the pound was stronger from memory. Even at a weaker pound they would still be cheap judging by today’s secondary market.

Master
    It's a huge airport but how much has footfall gone down? Demand may well exceed supply. Can you contact them?

Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    No idea why I’ve just thought about this, but I’ve just wondered with all the restrictions and lack of flying what’s going on at Gassan? Are they still getting all their stock and it’s just sitting at the airport? Or is the odd traveller picking up a dozen steel watches at a time? People used to get lucky and pick up Daytona’s and hulks at crazy prices when the pound was stronger from memory. Even at a weaker pound they would still be cheap judging by today’s secondary market.
    I’d imagine the stock has been diverted elsewhere.

During the pandemic, all of their supply has been going to George Soros.

Master
    George Soros or George Falconer?

Master
    My brother went through Schiphol a couple of weeks ago, so I gave him a shopping list.

He sent me a photo of him eating sausages and drinking beer in the terminal - he doesn’t wear a watch 😭

Wrong it is Bill Gates. He has been putting tracking chips inside each Rolex alongside a neutral link which gets triggered enabling the Bill Gates Foundation to take control of everyone's mind

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mrushton View Post
    It's a huge airport but how much has footfall gone down?
    81% drop across Europe.

Just back from the UAE myself and the airports are spookily quiet.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master

They do get stock but pool it across the stores, hold some in the airport office and the rest goes to their show piece store in the city centre. They do not have two of everything in stock but they do sell hard to get pieces without wait list. They were liming to one watch per visit.

When the Chinese visitors disappeared early this year they had more stock.
    Last edited by joe narvey; 13th December 2020 at 17:10.

Craftsman
    Ah this thread brings back memories. Initially when I use to fly to/from Schipol I would always get to the Rolex shop asap hoping I'd find a Daytona. Even sat outside for 2 hours while waiting for my flight to see if they got a delivery in.

The more flights I took the more I realised it wasn't going to happen, last time I was there back in 2019 I didn't even bother walking past it

Not been through for a few years, stopped off at the shop on Sunday, initially excited to see a few models in, then saw “exhibition only” on the one full case!

Quote Originally Posted by Barton Red View Post
    Not been through for a few years, stopped off at the shop on Sunday, initially excited to see a few models in, then saw “exhibition only” on the one full case!
    I passed though there last Thursday. Saw the same thing. Yacht master RG, Seadweller Red, Explorer II black plus quite a few other sports, even a Wimbledon. All …. ‘exhibition only’ but … with a price board. Talk about tease!

Can't help but feel that this thread has become like Facebook for 18yr olds.............

There is no actual information.................

If any of the members notices actual supply available when passing through Schiphol, they can buy a watch for me. Daytona, GMT, Pepsi, basically any watch that I can make a quick profit on.

Thanks in advance, this forum is truly special.

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Can't help but feel that this thread has become like Facebook for 18yr olds.............

There is no actual information.................
    Had a long conversation with the staff in the shop. It seems Rolex are no longer supplying stock and it’s to be an exhibition center only. So in terms of information, you can no longer purchase rolex from schipol.

Oh, and the 18 years olds leave Facebook to the old folk favouring Instagram, some additional information for you 😂

Quote Originally Posted by Barton Red View Post
    Had a long conversation with the staff in the shop. It seems Rolex are no longer supplying stock and it’s to be an exhibition center only. So in terms of information, you can no longer purchase rolex from schipol.

Oh, and the 18 years olds leave Facebook to the old folk favouring Instagram, some additional information for you 

There ya go..................... I drew some info out.

Master
    Blog Entries

Why bother, just hit the Irish bar get a pint and some bitterballen
    Last edited by Middo; 12th March 2022 at 15:52.

Journeyman
    Some beautiful pieces on display today. Whilst they are only for exhibition purposes, it was still nice to see all of the SS Professional models (ex Daytona) on display today

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tom_0787 View Post
    … it was still nice to see all of the SS Professional models (ex Daytona) on display today
    I’m completely baffled by the “exhibition” thing. Rolex are always said to know what they are doing but I can’t see the point. Said before, if I ever got to the top of “the list”, the then current model would probably be completely different from the one they graciously allowed me to look at.