closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Purchasing Rolex at Schipol airport

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tmoris View Post
    Im going to visit Rolex stores at Schipol on Saturday around noon on my way to NYC, so curious to see, whether there are any sports Rolexes there.

Should I get lucky, I cant bring the watch with me to US. Can one have them ship it to one's home address within EU or do I need to send a courier to pick it up for me? I wont be returning via Schipol, so cant pick it up on my way back either..
    They won’t post or allow collection.

Craftsman
    There's not much chance of them having any sports Rolex to be honest, I've been through schiphol at least 3 times this year and they don't have much stock at all, in fact the Last time I was there the shop assistant didn't even look up from his phone when I and 3 other potential customers walked in!!!
    You might get lucky ,if you do buy a lottery ticket as well

Sent from my SM-G960F using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    I would imagine that the chances of them posting something for you are even slimmer than finding something there to buy in the first place
    Quote Originally Posted by Chalet View Post
    They won’t post or allow collection.
    So my only option would be paying the watch, leaving it there and then flying there again in a couple of days to collect? Or they wont let me do this either?

A DJ41 for sale today....

Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    A DJ41 for sale today....
    They also had a steel DJ36 with WG bezel and a few OPs and lady-sized DJs and plenty of two-tone DJs.

Not a single Submariner, GMT Explorer I/II or Daytona (obviously not steel, but not even two-tone or previous metal). Checked both their main store as well as the Rolex boutique.

Sales staff not even looking up.

Funny game.

Craftsman
    good luck .... i was there on wednesday and they only had one steel 36 mm dj, everything else was bi-colour and < 36 mm.
    Unless you want a white gold yacht master 2 of course

Yes, forgot to mention that grotesque YM II. Waiting for a Chinese yachting enthusiast, I suppose?

So my only option would be paying the watch, leaving it there and then flying there again in a couple of days to collect? Or they wont let me do this either?

Can I ask what the plan is?

Buy only the one you want?

or

Buy any of the ‘waiting list’ models - and sell at market value to fund buying (watchfinder etc) the one you really want?

or

Buy any of the ‘waiting list’ models - and keep it?

Seriously curious.

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post

or

Buy any of the ‘waiting list’ models - and sell at market value to fund buying (watchfinder etc) the one you really want?

or

Seriously curious.
    I'm through Schiphol at least once a month. My motivation in popping my head in to the Rolex outlets is to buy and then sell at a profit on Sales Corner, thus providing both a healthy return on my investment and the entertainment value provided by witnessing the ninnies in the TZ Police explode with righteous rage.

I'm through Schiphol at least once a month. My motivation in popping my head in to the Rolex outlets is to buy and then sell at a profit on Sales Corner, thus providing both a healthy return on my investment and the entertainment value provided by witnessing the ninnies in the TZ Police explode with righteous rage.

Made me laugh anyway.

Cheers,
    Adam.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If only you had had this single-mindedness a couple of years ago

Bit of a Rolex fest today - BLNR, Sub date, DSSD all in the case at Gassan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Have you bought the BLNR yet?
    No. I don't want one myself and knowing my luck Goldsmiths will be overflowing with them next week if I buy it.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Top time stalking.

or

or

Seriously curious.
    Id buy and keep the ones I wanted and buy and sell the ones I didnt. Issue is, Im currently wanting most of the sports models and not able to get them..

Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    Top time stalking.
    You'll probably rethink your opinion that two taps on the forum app constitutes stalking when you hear that slow rapping on your kitchen window at half eleven

Id buy and keep the ones I wanted and buy and sell the ones I didnt. Issue is, Im currently wanting most of the sports models and not able to get them..
    Brilliantly insightful
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    You'll probably rethink your opinion that two taps on the forum app constitutes stalking when you hear that slow rapping on your kitchen window at half eleven
    Nah, I am out tonight. Time wasted.

Master

Purchasing Rolex at Schipol airport

I’ve bought SS Daytona at Schiphol. Miracles do happen.

I was in Tokyo 2 weeks ago and there is no Rolex SS stock to be found at their official boutiques. Now the third party outlets do have quite a bit of interesting stock to chose from...

Well that was fun. Gassan empty and the Rolex boutique was like super empty. The trays that could hold maybe 40watches per tray contained maybe 4 watches each. Everything sold and the sales person mentioned that one needs to get superlucky as watches disappear within minutes..

I was in BKK Suvarnabhumi Airport 10 days ago and no Rolex professional model whatsoever.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

..............Wow!

Quote Originally Posted by km9 View Post
    I was in BKK Suvarnabhumi Airport 10 days ago and no Rolex professional model whatsoever.

Tis the same everywhere

Journeyman
    I was at Hong Kong airport last month and not a professional model in sight.

I was in Myanmar during April and visited Rolex AD in Sule plaza.
    They had Milgauss Z blue and some Daytona ( yellow gold and two tone).
    Almost bought Milgauss but it was priced at £6700 which is £400 more than UK MSRP and the funny thing is that in Myanmar, there are no tax on luxury goods.

Why is (or was) Schipol airport better than the rest for Rolex?

Busier airport, more stock or something else?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Why is (or was) Schipol airport better than the rest for Rolex?

Busier airport, more stock or something else?
    1. The price: no VAT if flying out of the EU or equivalent discount (with VAT paid) even if flying within the EU.
    2. No waiting lists or preferred customers and they (used to?) get decent stock.

Master
    Seems like it has been a bit of a myth recently. Not hearing many stories of the stock that used to come through here. But some of us will still ask when passing just in case! Bit funny really!

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by FK77 View Post
    1. The price: no VAT if flying out of the EU or equivalent discount (with VAT paid) even if flying within the EU.
    2. No waiting lists or preferred customers and they (used to?) get decent stock.
    Ok, though thought they all did no VAT thing.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Ok, though thought they all did no VAT thing.
    My understanding is that not all airport ADs discount Rolex, especially professional steel models. However, I have only ever bought from Schiphol so may be there are others too.

Gassan charges full RRP for Rolex watches when flying to EU, no discount anymore. New policy since 01 July2018.

The tax free price for flights outside of EU is available at any airport, so no price advantage when buying at Schiphol anymore.

Master
    Gassan charges full RRP for Rolex watches when flying to EU, no discount anymore. New policy since 01 July2018.

The tax free price for flights outside of EU is available at any airport, so no price advantage when buying at Schiphol anymore.
    My last purchase there was in December 2016 so my information is clearly outdated.

Raffe, this is HRH Jean, isn’t it?

The only European head of state who took part in D Day.

RIP
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

You can also buy free of VAT in any non EU country. It’s just a matter of being insistent that the shop bothers to fill in the required form.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Flown through both Dubai and Geneva recently.

Both Rolex displays were pitiful and a lot smaller than they used to be.

The salesperson at Geneva was complaining she had next to nothing to sell and didn’t know when or what was coming on the next delivery, she said she’d been in the job 19 years and had never seen it that bad.

Never seen a Pepsi , and couldn’t remember the last time a Daytona turned up.

Must be pretty soul destroying working with next to no stock.

No different from many other airport retailers I assume ?

Just visiting Schipol and these two were in Gassan's window

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by stan collector; 5th May 2019 at 17:38.

Apprentice
    Was in Schipol a couple of days ago . Nothing. Tried Rolex Boutiques in the City as well (Gassan) where the lady working said that the situation with Rolex is getting ridiculous. I was in Merano in Italy last week and nothing, Budapest, (same week) and nothing, 3 shops in Bahnhof Strasse in Zurich (week before) nothing. One shop in Zurich had ALL the SS sports models available to ``view` but a `Nicht Zu Verkaufen` sticker attached to each one so not available to buy. These were not on display.

So reporting from NYC. Visited WoS and Tourneau and nothing in SS in both Rolex and Patek. They confirmes its the same as everywhere else worldwide

Well actually in the second hand market they have a Kermit at 15k and some seadwellers, explorers etc

It seems like there is still a ‘slight’ chance of a sports Rolex from Schiphol, but for some reason - everyone’s started reporting ‘non-sightings’ from every airport in the world.............

I'll be travelling through Schiphol on Wednesday morning to grab a connecting flight to LA. It's a long shot but hoping to try and pick something up, either a Breitling Premier or DJ41 126300. But reading this thread doesn't fill me with hope.

For those who have transited through Schiphol before, how long does it take to get from Gate D to Gate F? We'll have roughly 90 mins to get the connecting flight and I'd like to avoid a rushed purchase if I do happen to find something.
    Last edited by Tabs; 12th May 2019 at 19:12.

Depends which gate numbers - but I’m sure it is on Schiphol’s website.

Craftsman
    I don’t think it will take to long, as said check the website out for rough guide.

Thanks I've had a look at the terminal maps and luckily the walk from Gate D to F takes me past Rolex, Omega and Gassan. Though it doesn't quote the walk times it doesn't seem too far.

I'll report back on what is/isn't there.

Schipol is easy, as unlike Heathrow there are no secondary long security or passport checks. Plenty of time to shop. It's the only European hub I'll go through.

Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Integrale View Post
    Schipol is easy, as unlike Heathrow there are no secondary long security or passport checks. Plenty of time to shop. It's the only European hub I'll go through.

Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app
    NOT my experience, I flew back from Morocco with my pregnant wife and 3 kids and was stuck for 40 mins in a passport queue with my wife and daughter absolutely desperate for the toilet, and then had a 20min+ walk to the gate. Nightmare that will live with her for a LONG time.

Quote Originally Posted by JC180 View Post
    NOT my experience, I flew back from Morocco with my pregnant wife and 3 kids and was stuck for 40 mins in a passport queue with my wife and daughter absolutely desperate for the toilet, and then had a 20min+ walk to the gate. Nightmare that will live with her for a LONG time.

Surely - an approach to someone would have produced a solution? I would certainly put more store in Schiphol solving that situation than Heathrow, Gatwick or most other EU hubs?

I've traveled extensively via Schiphol and to a lesser extent the other EU hubs, and still hold Schiphol as being the epitome of how a hub should operate.

Purchasing Rolex at Schipol airport

In December I was in Schiphol’s Rolex Boutique considering an Explorer II and the price was definitely tax free (or equivalent discount). The price tag stated it and the sales lady confirmed it. I was flying within the EU.
    She was also wearing a SS Daytona ceramic with white face

Last edited by Halitosis; 13th May 2019 at 18:38.

Quote Originally Posted by Halitosis View Post
    In December I was in there considering an Explorer II and the price was definitely tax free (or equivalent discount). The price tag stated it and the sales lady confirmed it.

The watch - I assume?

I've told the tale before, but I bought a Submarine back in 2012 at Gassans with £4,100-worth of Euros. Principally with the intent of getting rid of a load of Euros I accepted for the sale of a motorbike to a fella from Amsterdam. I bought it, knowing there was a 20% discount (equivalent to the VAT) on UK prices, and anecdotal information of a 10% increase in RRP for them. Seemed like an excellent way of beating exchange rates.

Kept it a while, unused, unsized, stickered up - and sold it for £4,900.

Back then - I think they had most, if not all of the professional/sports models in stock

The watch - I assume?

I've told the tale before, but I bought a Submarine back in 2012 at Gassans with £4,100-worth of Euros. Principally with the intent of getting rid of a load of Euros I accepted for the sale of a motorbike to a fella from Amsterdam. I bought it, knowing there was a 20% discount (equivalent to the VAT) on UK prices, and anecdotal information of a 10% increase in RRP for them. Seemed like an excellent way of beating exchange rates.

Kept it a while, unused, unsized, stickered up - and sold it for £4,900.

Back then - I think they had most, if not all of the professional/sports models in stock
    I've seen Daytonas in the window too (before the ceramic nonsense kicked in). Though in the last 2-3 years of the 116520 run, they were relatively easy to get hold of in NL.

Quote Originally Posted by Halitosis View Post
    In December I was in Schiphol’s Rolex Boutique considering an Explorer II and the price was definitely tax free (or equivalent discount). The price tag stated it and the sales lady confirmed it. I was flying within the EU.

Certainly not.

Gassan's Rolex pricing policy was changed in July 2018: