closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Purchasing Rolex at Schipol airport

Came through Schipol tonight on both C and D gate sides. Checked in Gassan and the Rolex boutique and they had a couple of Explorer II’s (black and white), an Explorer I, both colour Yachtmasters and a Milgauss GV.

I asked the obligatory question regarding Daytona and Sky Dwellers and got a polite refusal but “keep asking”. The guy in the Rolex boutique mentioned a recent Daytona that went in ten minutes after receiving it. I assume it was the one above.

Master
    Usual suspects at Gassan Rolex this morning

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would you get a further discount off the pepsi GMT.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by MICHAELHS View Post

No - they don't horse-trade.........

They have a steady throughput of potential buyers, but feel free to spend your layover - haggling....................

Sorry - that's unkind.

Yes - they will probably drop a further 10% if you have a business lounge pass.

I managed to get a 3% discount on my Sub in April. So it's worth asking.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Flying in and out on Saturday, can get a better price on one from the UK, with the poor exchange rate, it works out more than Goldsmith. Worth asking I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    I managed to get a 3% discount on my Sub in April. So it's worth asking.

I stand corrected!

Quote Originally Posted by cmcm3 View Post

Helped his hangover no end apparently...
    Wow, lucky guy! Would help mine too!!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Isnt it odd that Schipol is kind of unique in this way price rise with Rolex obviously endorsing or at least must be ok with it.

Since its not a VAT off but VAT equivalent off it is a discount. Wonder why Schipol is allowed and unique to do this by Rolex (or maybe even instructed to do this by Rolex). Why would Gassan need to sell the Daytona, Hulk, BLNRs etc at VAT free equivalent prices when they would still sell anyhow? no other dealer in their right mind would do this which makes me assume its Rolex behind it - but why Schipol and Schipol only?

Just find the story behind it interesting. I used to love passing through schipol to look at the crazy prices pre Brexit referendum, always bad timing for me cash wise back then but all the Rolex faves were there
    Last edited by kultschar; 7th February 2018 at 11:33.

Master
    ^^^^^^

Probably a good relationship with Gassan, as in they shift units in large quantities, yet retain their 'exclusive' appearance, you should see their store on The Rokin

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by R0bertb00th View Post
    Usual suspects at Gassan Rolex this morning

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    How old is that Pt Yachtmaster, must have been there a while

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    ^^^^^^

Probably a good relationship with Gassan, as in they shift units in large quantities, yet retain their 'exclusive' appearance, you should see their store on The Rokin

- - - Updated - - -

How old is that Pt Yachtmaster, must have been there a while
    If you mean the 40mm YM it looks lime the one I was offered on Friday 26th. Jan and it had come in that morning.

Quote Originally Posted by berin View Post
    Haven’t seen an SS sports Rolex in there for years, I go through about twice a month and always check

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Picked up my sea dweller from T5 a couple of years back - absolute fluke they’d only put it in the window 5 mins before i passed by.

I travelled to AMS 100's of times over the past 10 years and according to Chaps who work there, deliveries typically occur Wednesday or Thursday every week.

On the day I got my Sub, delivery was around midday (Wednesday). I arrived at about 14.00 and during that time they had already sold.

2 DSSD including 1 Blue.
    2 GMT including a Batman
    3 SD (but they never got a Red)
    1 Sub (date)
    1 Sub (non-date)
    and 5 (Five!!!) SS Daytonas. These all sold within 20 minutes.

What was left was 1 sub (date) and 1 sub (non-date) - which I bought.

They also had an few Explorers, one of which was bought by the bloke in front of me.

It might be shocking to some, but these watches are desired from people all over the world. The old boy who served me (in the Boutique) observed that some Rolex watches had almost become a currency in some parts of the world. Easy to move across borders and exchangeable for cash (or whatever). A new sort of Bitcoin.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Didnt have many Rolex in stock, but the Omega boutique next door had a trilogy box set in, one of only 550 sets.

Mike.

Last edited by MICHAELHS; 10th February 2018 at 18:00.

Didnt have many Rolex in stock, but the Omega boutique next door had a trilogy box set in, one of only 550 sets.

Mike.

Don’t think the box set is a bit mover. Regent Street have one managed to sell one.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Don’t think the box set is a bit mover. Regent Street have one managed to sell one.
    Surprised? I'm not!

Apprentice
    Was there this past Weds. Nothing of interest at all.

Journeyman
    Spoke with WOS at T3 on Thursday to book a Tag for the Mrs and Bleck Bay for me to pick up on our travels soon, casually asked if they had any ss rolex in and was told they had sold a SD43 that morning, apparently it was in the window for 20 mins!! Someone has had a great result

Master
    You didn’t fancy the D-Blue they had in the cabinet at Heathrow T3 on Thursday then?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Chalet View Post
    You didn’t fancy the D-Blue they had in the cabinet at Heathrow T3 on Thursday then?
    Spoke with them, didn't say I was there!! Don't fly out till mid March, just called to make sure they have what I want in when I fly, and very helpful they were too.

A new buying strategy?

Buy any of the premium SS Rolex Sports watches (whatever they happen to have at the time) ............

Sell on to fund the purchase of the one you really want?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Integrale View Post
    I asked last summer in T5 and was told I would get the same discount if flying within the EU. Just ask.
    Was this for a Rolex or Tudor? Understood that you won’t any discount for those brands when you’re flying within the EU. It’s another story for other brands. They then will give you the price minus VAT

Quote Originally Posted by Tommie85 View Post
    Was this for a Rolex or Tudor? Understood that you won’t any discount for those brands when you’re flying within the EU. It’s another story for other brands. They then will give you the price minus VAT

It's actually 16.7%, not the full 20.0% VAT off the MSRP

Quote Originally Posted by Tommie85 View Post
    I think I was looking at an SMP at the time, but the sales staff suggested it applied across the store.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gareth-W View Post
    It's actually 16.7%, not the full 20.0% VAT off the MSRP
    Just to clarify for others it's basically the same thing. £1,000 + VAT 20% = £1,200

So a watch with a VAT inclusive MSRP of £1,200 discounted by 16.7% gets back to the same £1,000

Master
    Oh my days!

How many times does this have to covered?

Buying a watch at an EU airport flying within the EU, is discounted, it is NOT VAT free

Master
    Just a quick heads up...

I have it on EXTREMELY good authority that Border Force are actively targeting watch buyers traveling through all of the major airports; certainly at LHR where in recent weeks a passenger was stopped after failing to declare a Rolex, they ended up having to pay in excess of £1,800 as a result.

It is unclear whether this was, in some way, intelligence led or just a random stop but it is worth bearing in mind. I am NOT, in any way, opening this up to the floor for a discussion about the rights & wrongs, wherefores & whys etc. I am simply a WIS passing on some information which I happen to be privy to.

Yep I've been stopped the last 2 times as well. Even AFTER declaring and paying duty!
    Quote Originally Posted by MST View Post
    Just a quick heads up...

I have it on EXTREMELY good authority that Border Force are actively targeting watch buyers traveling through all of the major airports; certainly at LHR where in recent weeks a passenger was stopped after failing to declare a Rolex, they ended up having to pay in excess of £1,800 as a result.

It is unclear whether this was, in some way, intelligence led or just a random stop but it is worth bearing in mind. I am NOT, in any way, opening this up to the floor for a discussion about the rights & wrongs, wherefores & whys etc. I am simply a WIS passing on some information which I happen to be privy to.

Also wanted to add if they stop you, find you have not declared then obviously you will pay the VAT but you should also be prepared to be stopped and searched every time you come through as you will be marked as such

Craftsman
    And how do they target people and their Rollies, looking at their wrists or something?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparjar View Post
    And how do they target people and their Rollies, looking at their wrists or something?
    Partly yes, as the border force are taught (some well, some badly) to notice if something’s ‘not right’

But, IMO, the main tell will be when your watch box and gubbins are spotted as you baggage goes through X-ray.

Master
    From personal experience I’ve never been stopped for a watch, but do get stopped every time in both directions when flying to The Netherlands.

Master
    Even if I did know, which I don't, it's not something I'd share, and certainly not on a public forum.

Although Mrs. MST and I were surmising about the answer to this question the other night and all we could come up with was the purchases being linked to boarding passes. Clearly that wouldn't account for items bought overseas etc.

I had real problems going through the red channel at Gatwick a couple of weeks ago as no-one on the shift that was on knew how to operate the till.

After an period trying to decide if I ought to wait for the shift change they decided to simply send me on my way.

Craftsman
    Partly yes, as the border force are taught (some well, some badly) to notice if something’s ‘not right’

But, IMO, the main tell will be when your watch box and gubbins are spotted as you baggage goes through X-ray.
    X-ray happens at departure and they don't care so there'd have to be a global exchange of information, unless I'm mistaken? I know of people getting pulled to the side especially when coming from transatlantic flights but that usually seems like a random check rather than targetted one.

Master
    Comedy gold.

Master
    Er, border services along with other police agencies track people of interest world wide, so of course there’s info exchange.

Also I’m talking hold luggage that can be scanned at either end before you pick it up off the carousel.

Master
    And, once on ‘the list’ you’ll be checked (not every time) but more frequently then a ‘random’ stop.

As mentioned, every time for me due to my travelling habits. Sometimes I even find it fun when they find nothing, as my contraband is shipped by container in advance (joke)

If you stand at the carousels and stare into one of the CCTV cameras...............

They stop and interview you on departure.

(Did it for fun one evening)

Craftsman
    Er, border services along with other police agencies track people of interest world wide, so of course there’s info exchange.

Also I’m talking hold luggage that can be scanned at either end before you pick it up off the carousel.
    Aye, you'd have to be well thick to bring a new roller in your hold luggage. I was thinking of a typical situation where a random person buys one during their holidays in Bahamas or Tenerife or US and wears it on their wrist on their way back. Unless skynet is in full effect I doubt such people will be tracked and any information on them wearing this or that would be exchanged by anyone. It might be in the future, hopefully I'll be dead by then, but you're still fairly free to do most things without attracting attention. Unless, and this was my question, we know of how they might be actively targetting as per below post

Just a quick heads up...

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Just a quick heads up...

Yeah but can we still bring in heroin ?

Master
    Aye, you'd have to be well thick to bring a new roller in your hold luggage. I was thinking of a typical situation where a random person buys one during their holidays in Bahamas or Tenerife or US and wears it on their wrist on their way back. Unless skynet is in full effect I doubt such people will be tracked and any information on them wearing this or that would be exchanged by anyone. It might be in the future, hopefully I'll be dead by then, but you're still fairly free to do most things without attracting attention. Unless, and this was my question, we know of how they might be actively targetting as per below post
    I don’t know what smuggling hair beauty products has to do with it.

Anyway, I said if the box etc. (not the watch) is in hold luggage. Same way they check for cigarettes from non EU countries.

Including tax fraud it seems

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Yeah but can we still bring in heroin ?
    Of course, as long as it does not exceed the value of the cocaine or crystal meth also going to market.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    I travelled to AMS 100's of times over the past 10 years and according to Chaps who work there, deliveries typically occur Wednesday or Thursday every week.

On the day I got my Sub, delivery was around midday (Wednesday). I arrived at about 14.00 and during that time they had already sold.

2 DSSD including 1 Blue.
    2 GMT including a Batman
    3 SD (but they never got a Red)
    1 Sub (date)
    1 Sub (non-date)
    and 5 (Five!!!) SS Daytonas. These all sold within 20 minutes.

What was left was 1 sub (date) and 1 sub (non-date) - which I bought.

They also had an few Explorers, one of which was bought by the bloke in front of me.

It might be shocking to some, but these watches are desired from people all over the world. The old boy who served me (in the Boutique) observed that some Rolex watches had almost become a currency in some parts of the world. Easy to move across borders and exchangeable for cash (or whatever). A new sort of Bitcoin.
    If it's not a rude question, what does a ND Sub cost in Schipol, GBP equivalent?

I'm planning and thinking Brexit.....

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cmcm3 View Post
    Comedy gold.
    Isn't it just? Some of you guys would be more at home over on Mumsnet. Loads of hand-wringing and despair over there...

Craftsman
    I don’t know what smuggling hair beauty products has to do with it.

Anyway, I said if the box etc. (not the watch) is in hold luggage. Same way they check for cigarettes from non EU countries.

Including tax fraud it seems
    Right so, they are not actively targeting watch buyers but they are targetting smugglers or those too stupid to think of how to minimise the risk of getting caught. If I buy a watch and post the box separately I won't be actively targetted because they have no way to tell that I was a watch buyer. Unless there's a way for them to tell and cherry pick. That's what I want to know. I'm intrigued by the scaremongering tone of the "I have it on good authority" post basically.

Quote Originally Posted by mrmeat View Post
    If it's not a rude question, what does a ND Sub cost in Schipol, GBP equivalent?

I'm planning and thinking Brexit.....

At least £800, I reckon

Master
    Right so, they are not actively targeting watch buyers but they are targetting smugglers or those too stupid to think of how to minimise the risk of getting caught. If I buy a watch and post the box separately I won't be actively targetted because they have no way to tell that I was a watch buyer. Unless there's a way for them to tell and cherry pick. That's what I want to know. I'm intrigued by the scaremongering tone of the "I have it on good authority" post basically.
    No, No, No! According to a much earlier pos, postal customs spot the box in the post, alert watch-customs who then raid your house... True. Someone on here had it on good authority!!!

When planing to defraud your government of tax money, it is of utmost importance to pre-announce both your intention as well as strategy on a public internet forum. It's only half the fun any other way.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by 33JS View Post
    No, No, No! According to a much earlier pos, postal customs spot the box in the post, alert watch-customs who then raid your house... True. Someone on here had it on good authority!!!
    I have it on good authority that you are right. THEY ARE WATCHING YOUR EVERY MOOOOOOOVEE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMOGaugKpzs