closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Purchasing Rolex at Schipol airport

Master
    I didn't realise that my post would have people reaching for the tinfoil...

No one is suggesting a global information exchange, Interpol involvement, Skynet or anything along those lines although with that said APIS is very much alive & well. The fact is that certain flights, from certain countries at certain times of day will always be targeted for various different things, things that I'm not going to go into so you'll just have to use your [vivid] imaginations.

If I worked for Border Force, and I do mean if, and I wanted a "quick win" I would approach the likes of Watches of Switzerland at T5 requesting information gleaned from the boarding passes of passengers with return tickets to the UK travelling to non-UE countries who had made a purchase. I'm not suggesting that this is what is going on or how such an operation would be sustainable in the long term, but it's what I'd do.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Yeah but can we still bring in heroin ?
    The stupid thing is that irregularly seizing heroin probably doesn't bring in half as much revenue as regularly seizing things like the alcohol, cigarettes from regular holidaymakers walking off of bucket & spade flights...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    When planing to defraud your government of tax money, it is of utmost importance to pre-announce both your intention as well as strategy on a public internet forum. It's only half the fun any other way.
    Looky here, it's our German supernova Raffe! Let me help you with this one since English isn't your first language, https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/de...hypothetically

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparjar View Post
    I'm intrigued by the scaremongering tone of the "I have it on good authority" post basically.
    I was shown the documentation.

If you attempt to go any more Perry Mason on me and I respond with further information then I might as well tell you exactly how I know, who it was that told me & why, and kiss goodbye to the ability to pay my mortgage and them theirs.

It's worth it though right...?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MST View Post
    I was shown the documentation.

If you attempt to go any more Perry Mason on me and I respond with further information then I might as well tell you exactly how I know, who it was that told me & why, and kiss goodbye to the ability to pay my mortgage and them theirs.

It's worth it though right...?
    There's so much drama in the tz-uk eee,
    It's kind of hard being spa r j a r eee

Looky here, it's our German supernova Raffe! Let me help you with this one since English isn't your first language, https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/de...hypothetically
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Master
    Right so, they are not actively targeting watch buyers but they are targetting smugglers or those too stupid to think of how to minimise the risk of getting caught. If I buy a watch and post the box separately I won't be actively targetted because they have no way to tell that I was a watch buyer. Unless there's a way for them to tell and cherry pick. That's what I want to know. I'm intrigued by the scaremongering tone of the "I have it on good authority" post basically.
    Probably not, you are correct. But, you are smuggling, on a minute scale, still tax evasion though

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MST View Post
    If I worked for Border Force, and I do mean if, and I wanted a "quick win" I would approach the likes of Watches of Switzerland at T5 requesting information gleaned from the boarding passes of passengers with return tickets to the UK travelling to non-UE countries who had made a purchase. I'm not suggesting that this is what is going on or how such an operation would be sustainable in the long term, but it's what I'd do.
    Which would be a complete waste of time because the purchase receipts would show, as has been stated numerous times, that the purchaser has paid VAT on a discounted purchase price. These threads are f**king ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcm3 View Post
    Which would be a complete waste of time because the purchase receipts would show, as has been stated numerous times, that the purchaser has paid VAT on a discounted purchase price. These threads are f**king ridiculous.

He stated non-EU - what tax is ‘free’ if not the VAT ?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    He stated non-EU - what tax is ‘free’ if not the VAT ?
    Yes, and what happens when you are flying ex-Eu and buy a watch from T5 is that you pay a discounted price EQUIVALENT to VAT off (ie 16.666666666667% less than high street). But in that discounted price you have paid UK vat and will receive a receipt showing same. These are facts.

Master
    Mathematical example.

UK retail price including VAT is £12000
    Buy at T5 and you will pay 100/120 x £12000 = £10,000 total - the equivalent of VAT off.
    However, your receipt will show that you have paid
    £10,000 x 100/120 = £8,333 for the product and the remainder in VAT, which, if my maths are correct will work itself out to...

£10,000-£8,333 = £1,667

As if by magic... £1667/£8333 x100 = 20% I.e the UK VAT rate. So you have paid full UK vat on your purchase and customs can go f**k themselves.

Craftsman
    Mathematical example.

Buy at T5 and you will pay 100/120 x £12000 = £10,000 total - the equivalent of VAT off.
    £10,000 x 100/120 = £8,333 for the product and the remainder in VAT, which, if my maths are correct will work itself out to...

£10,000-£8,333 = £1,667

As if by magic... £1667/£8333 x100 = 20% I.e the UK VAT rate. So you have paid full UK vat on your purchase and customs can go f**k themselves.
    nothing wrong with your maths mate. Vat paid. No issues.

Mathematical example.

£10,000-£8,333 = £1,667

I believe this only applies if you fly to EU destinations. If you fly outside, it becomes regular duty-free merchandise and they don't charge VAT - so any re-entry into the UK of the goods is VAT-able.

It would also apply if you bought the watch outside of the EU and travelled into the UK.

Master
    I believe this only applies if you fly to EU destinations.
    That isn’t correct.

That isn’t correct.
    So if somebody flies out to China, they first get a discount of almost 20% to match the VAT-free price; and then they can claim VAT back and end up paying £8,333 net for a £12,000 RRP watch with a waiting list?

Master
    So if somebody flies out to China, they first get a discount of almost 20% to match the VAT-free price; and then they can claim VAT back and end up paying £8,333 net for a £12,000 RRP watch with a waiting list?
    I don’t know about flying out to China to stay, because I have never done that so don’t have that experience. I am talking about flying out of the EU on holiday and then returning to the UK, which is the scenario envisaged by MST’s post. I have no idea about vat reclaiming on permanantly leaving the country. Also, try getting a waiting list watch from T5.

Apprentice
    Enjoying (some) of the posts on this and is really helpful to a Newbie. Do any of you have any advice or opinion on how currency fluctuations affect the Rolex Boutiques. I guess I was thinking in terms of Sterling dropping against the Euro after Brexit, and other countries that move a little more quickly like S. Africa. Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere, I did have a quick look beforehand and I thought one or two of you might know. Am gearing up for my first purchase.

I don’t know about flying out to China to stay, because I have never done that so don’t have that experience. I am talking about flying out of the EU on holiday and then returning to the UK, which is the scenario envisaged by MST’s post. I have no idea about vat reclaiming on permanantly leaving the country. Also, try getting a waiting list watch from T5.
    Anyone leaving the EU permanently or not having a permanent residence in the EU can claim VAT back. If T5 are also rebating on ex-EU flights, the result will be that buyers will first get the discount and then can claim VAT back. Cool deal, if true.

Master
    Anyone leaving the EU permanently or not having a permanent residence in the EU can claim VAT back. If T5 are also rebating on ex-EU flights, the result will be that buyers will first get the discount and then can claim VAT back. Cool deal, if true.
    I don’t know if they would deal with it differently for non-UK domiciles (they do ask to see your passport) but in MST’s scenario I have experience and went to great lengths to understand the situation because my first run at it was the Platona and I REALLY didn’t want to risk getting stung on that. I then did the same with a DD40 in August last year and a DJ36 a fortnight ago.

Master
    There are definitely more stringent checks going on these days and not just at airports but also at road crossings at EU borders. I have driven many times and all the Swiss have ever wanted in the past was to sell the motorway vignette. EU side, never ever stopped or asked any questions before. This time it was different and when crossing between Switzerland and EU, they always stopped us to ask if we had anything to declare - we didn’t when entering Switzerland but did when leaving. In this case, it would have been easy for the Austrians to check if I hadn’t declared ... I had handed over the tax-free form to the Swiss customs office just a few minutes ago and I’m sure they talk to each other.

I don’t know if they would deal with it differently for non-UK domiciles (they do ask to see your passport) but in MST’s scenario I have experience and went to great lengths to understand the situation because my first run at it was the Platona and I REALLY didn’t want to risk getting stung on that. I then did the same with a DD40 in August last year and a DJ36 a fortnight ago.
    I perfectly understand how it works when you fly within the EU, that was not my point. But I simply dont think the idea is to give a double rebate to non-EU tax payers.

Master
    I perfectly understand how it works when you fly within the EU, that was not my point. But I simply dont think the idea is to give a double rebate to non-EU tax payers.
    I was flying ex-EU every time. Bergen with the Platona, NYC for the other two. Rolex T5 don’t give you anything off if flying within the EU, it’s the full UK RRP.

I was flying ex-EU every time. Bergen with the Platona, NYC for the other two. Rolex T5 don’t give you anything off if flying within the EU, it’s the full UK RRP.
    Now you got me confused, wasn't it stated many times before that the 16.7% rebate was available to any flight leaving from T5?

Master
    Now you got me confused, wasn't it stated many times before that the 16.7% rebate was available to any flight leaving from T5?
    Raffe, your confusion is completely understandable. There is so much utter BS spouted in these threads that I even start second guessing myself and checking my purchase receipts! All I can say is that in my experience with Rolex T5 you get a discount equivalent to Vat if you are flying ex-EU and returning to the UK, and bugger-all if you are flying within the EU. That experience does extend to the purchase of 3 watches over a c.18 month period and most recently being a fortnight ago. Those purchases were preceded by some considerable correspondence with Rolex T5 to make sure I understood the situation and didn’t risk getting hit for £8,400 VAT on the way home from Bergen. That’s all I can usefully contribute.

Raffe, your confusion is completely understandable. There is so much utter BS spouted in these threads that I even start second guessing myself and checking my purchase receipts! All I can say is that in my experience with Rolex T5 you get a discount equivalent to Vat if you are flying ex-EU and returning to the UK, and bugger-all if you are flying within the EU. That experience does extend to the purchase of 3 watches over a c.18 month period and most recently being a fortnight ago. Those purchases were preceded by some considerable correspondence with Rolex T5 to make sure I understood the situation and didn’t risk getting hit for £8,400 VAT on the way home from Bergen. That’s all I can usefully contribute.
    OK Thanks for your clarification.

Craftsman
    To be honest I was even a bit worried coming back with two watches from Tenerife even though bought were bought in the EU and accompanied me to the canaries. Visited a Rolex AD in Playa Las Amaericas but nothing of interest there was hoping for an explorer ii but the only had the black GMT and a shedload of pm datejust's. :(
    Anyway nobody stopped us on the way out and didn't notice anyone being stopped on a jam-packed flight back during half-term.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    That was always the case. I believe that confusion present in this thread arose from the fact that Gassen at Schipol (unlike Heathrow) offer discounts equal to VAT to passengers flying to EU destinations. Whether those flying externally can get a discount and then claim VAT, I don't know and I don't think so but I'm happy to be told otherwise.

Master
    I was told by Gassan Schiphol that if you’re flying to a non-EU destination, it is tax free price i.e. VAT is not included. If flying to an EU destination, they give a discount equivalent to what VAT would have been at RRP but VAT is still included in the reduced price. In that case they call it (or at least used to call it) “see-buy-fly” price as opposed to tax-free price. Going by this, people flying ex EU should not be able to “claim back” VAT as they haven’t paid it in the first place.

Bergen, (Norway) is in the EFTA, so I don’t think you can call it “ex-EU”

Bergen, (Norway) is in the EFTA, so I don’t think you can call it “ex-EU”
    You pay VAT when importing from Norway, so it's relevant and 'ex-EU' for the purposes of this discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    You pay VAT when importing from Norway, so it's relevant and 'ex-EU' for the purposes of this discussion.
    I stand corrected then

I stand corrected then
    I thought the same as you when I imported from there...it wasn't a nice bit of education

From my reading of various threads on this subject it is only Shipol who offer this “discount” flying within EU. All other EU airports it’s full RRP.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by P.Sheridan View Post
    From my reading of various threads on this subject it is only Shipol who offer this “discount” flying within EU. All other EU airports it’s full RRP.

probably just me mixing this up....

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by P.Sheridan View Post

Last time I passed through CDG airport I visited the high end watch shop and tried on a JLC Reverso. When I told the sales assistant that I thought the price was high she immediately said prices are negotiable. I didn't buy, but she gave me a business card and asked me to call before returning through CDG on my way home to see if they could help me. (Not sure if that applied to Rolex as well, which they do sell) So, always work asking in EU airport shops imo.

Having spent some time reading this thread, I am not much wiser, I am totally confussed over the vat liability.
    If I purchase at T5 on a long haul flight then the watch is discounted but still shows vat on reciept, therefore no vat to pay on return ?? only import duty ??
    Whereas if I purchase overseas and claim the vat back at point of departure then there is vat to be paid on return ??

Quote Originally Posted by Neilw3030 View Post
    Having spent some time reading this thread, I am not much wiser, I am totally confussed over the vat liability.
    If I purchase at T5 on a long haul flight then the watch is discounted but still shows vat on reciept, therefore no vat to pay on return ?? only import duty ??
    Neither VAT nor import duty. You bought a discounted watch and that is the end of it.

Whereas if I purchase overseas and claim the vat back at point of departure then there is vat to be paid on return ??
    Yes, both VAT and import duty (though the latter is so small, that it is hardly ever collected). In fact, you even have to pay UK VAT if you didn't claim back foreign VAT at your port of departure.

Neither VAT nor import duty. You bought a discounted watch and that is the end of it.

Yes, both VAT and import duty (though the latter is so small, that it is hardly ever collected). In fact, you even have to pay UK VAT if you didn't claim back foreign VAT at your port of departure.
    So buying from T5 is a win win situation then, providing you can get what you want of course.

Yes, and what happens when you are flying ex-Eu and buy a watch from T5 is that you pay a discounted price EQUIVALENT to VAT off (ie 16.666666666667% less than high street). But in that discounted price you have paid UK vat and will receive a receipt showing same. These are facts.
    Yes and No!

Yes to the outside purchaser it looks like everyone is paying the same amount as if travellers me within the EU your watch is discounted by an equivalent amount of the VAT and there is no come back from customs with this watch as all fees and charges have been settled.

No I if you are travelling outside of the EU then you do pay a “duty free” price as you do not need to pay any VAT. It is more of an accountancy issue for the retailer. As if they did not and your receipt shows VAT the ex-EU purchaser would be well within their rights to claim back any VAT that has been paid even if the watch has been ‘discounted’ at the POS.

In the end both purchasers have the same price but one of them could have issues with travelling back into the EU!

This is why your boarding card details are required for the retailer being able to record accurate VAT payments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 33JS View Post
    No, No, No! According to a much earlier pos, postal customs spot the box in the post, alert watch-customs who then raid your house... True. Someone on here had it on good authority!!!
    I am sure this has never actually happened, and they have no way to target anyone watch buyers at airports. How many thousands of people come into LHR every day you recon they can spot people who have got a watch abroad. Total rubbish. Bags are not scanned on arrivals either so no way they would know and cant see the departure country caring enough to spot a watch box they have bigger fish to fry with drugs, bombs etc. I cant imagine any security scanning employees have watch boxes as a high risk item to spot.

Journeyman
    I spoke to T4 over the phone just last week about a Datejust when I go to the states.

The guy said if you leave the EU you don’t pay the VAT but declare it on your return. They don’t allow you to discount it down to pay the VAT on the lower price.

If within the EU, you pay full whack.

Only Schipo discount inside the EU.

Don’t shoot the messenger!

Craftsman
    probably just me mixing this up....
    Don't worry Raffe, it's not your fault. It wasn't the first time, it won't be the last time. As Bruno sings "That's just the way you are".

See, I told you it wouldn't be the last time. Again, since you're slow on the uptake: if you buy from T5 or any Heathrow terminal there are no discounts, you pay the full price. Unless you travel ex EU when you get full VAT deduction. But if you buy at Schipol (since this is a thread about Schipol) you are getting a discount which equals to VAT even if you fly within EU.

Don't worry Raffe, it's not your fault. It wasn't the first time, it won't be the last time. As Bruno sings "That's just the way you are".

See, I told you it wouldn't be the last time. Again, since you're slow on the uptake: if you buy from T5 or any Heathrow terminal there are no discounts, you pay the full price. Unless you travel ex EU when you get full VAT deduction. But if you buy at Schipol (since this is a thread about Schipol) you are getting a discount which equals to VAT even if you fly within EU.
    We all know your upstairs is not as brightly lit as is required for debate. So I will just leave you to believe that what you say makes any sense.

Ta-ta.

Craftsman
    We all know your upstairs is not as brightly lit as is required for debate. So I will just leave you to believe that what you say makes any sense.

Ta-ta.
    Referring to yourself as "we" is a symptom of what medical profession refers to as schizophrenia. I might be wrong, since I don't work in the field but I have it on good authority that you might want to get it checked before it's too late.

PS and just as a reminder since you might have forgotten already - no you don't get a discount at Heathrow when you fly within EU. But you do at Schipol.

PSS "Ta ta", mate you're soooo British, I see you was watching Fawlty Towers on RTL when you was younger!

Master
    Well... I tried.

Craftsman
    Well... I tried.
    You did, and everyone got it, don't worry. Except one person obviously but that's ok, that's just the way Raffchen is!

Well... I tried.
    Yes, you did and I am thankful for your contribution. But it appears that some lack the means to grasp it.

Craftsman
    But it appears that some lack the means to grasp it.
    So good to see you were able to come to terms with this fact (fact that everyone was aware of already). Being honest about your own weaknesses is going to make your life much more bearable. It won't make you brighter but hey, you can't have everything in life!

PS just as a refresher no you can't get a discount at Heathrow. You can at Schipol.

PS just as a refresher no you can't get a discount at Heathrow. You can at Schipol.
    As said before, it would be an insult to all innocent du....cks to call you one.

...All I can say is that in my experience with Rolex T5 you get a discount equivalent to Vat if you are flying ex-EU and returning to the UK, and bugger-all if you are flying within the EU....
    Last edited by Raffe; 22nd February 2018 at 13:57.

Smile

Another, alternate, view to the scare mongering here on what activities are, or is not, employed by UK Border Control.

Do you not think that in the times we currently live in that these good folks have got FAR better things to worry about (ISIS/Bombs/Guns/Drugs etc) than someone bringing back a watch purchase he, or she, might have got some kind of discount/tax advantage when purchasing it?

I'm not saying one should "dodge" any legitimate tax payment due but, please, a reality check would be in order for some here! As you were....

Craftsman
    As said before, it would be an insult to all innocent du....cks to call you one.
    I know English isn't your first language and all English films and tv series are dubbed in German so it's hard to learn but surely by now you would have grasped the language to an extent allowing you to ad 1 + 1 and end up with 2? Unless, you really are this special Raffe?

PS isht, I forgot to add the refresher bit. But it would have been lost on you anyway haha.