closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Purchasing Rolex at Schipol airport

Quote Originally Posted by R0bertb00th View Post
    I emailed me and they sent me the below:

We hereby confirm the receipt of your e-mail for which we kindly thank you.

We regret to inform you that it is the policy of Gassan Schiphol B.V. not to reveal the stock availability of Rolex professional steel models. Reservations on these models are also not possible. You are, however, able to purchase these Rolex professional Steel models when available, at the Gassan Watch and Jewellery shops as well as the Rolex Boutique at Amsterdam Airport Schiphol, upon departure.

Please be advised that when you depart from the H or M gate which services flights from airlines such as EasyJet, Vueling, Air Berlin, amongst others; it is not possible to access our Gassan Watch & Jewelry shops which are located in Departure Lounges 1, 2 & 3. The shops at the H & M gates only carry a limited assortment of certain watch and Jewelry brands.

Please note that prices may be adjusted as and when brand list prices are updated.

Well - that should dispel any doubt!

Master
    cant grumble about the service at all - just hope theyve got some stock

Master
    Blog Entries
    How can one avail of the tax free price? Or is it possible?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 893bet View Post
    How can one avail of the tax free price? Or is it possible?
    If you're travelling within the EU, they call it "See-Buy-Fly" price as opposed to tax-free price. It is discounted equivalent to the Dutch VAT but VAT is still added to the price so no issues when bringing it home. Works out about 18% cheaper than their retail price.

Craftsman
    Am I right in thinking there is more than one Rolex dealer in Schipol? I am going through on Friday and had a mind to look before I even saw this interesting thread. But, reading between the lines I think I am 3-4 years too late!

I’m sure there’ll be a similar thread going on in Dutch watch forum, extolling the arbitrage benefits of buying in Heathrow.

Master
    There's a Gassan shop (actually more than one shop but don't think all of them stock Rolex) and a Rolex boutique which is also operated by Gassan.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by FK77 View Post
    If you're travelling within the EU, they call it "See-Buy-Fly" price as opposed to tax-free price. It is discounted equivalent to the Dutch VAT but VAT is still added to the price so no issues when bringing it home. Works out about 18% cheaper than their retail price.
    Is this true for all models? Including popular ones like BLNR, hulk and daytona? (one can dream..)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    I’m sure there’ll be a similar thread going on in Dutch watch forum, extolling the arbitrage benefits of buying in Heathrow.
    I think Heathrow discount is strictly a tax-free price and you can't avail that if travelling within the EU.

Quote Originally Posted by ALindsay View Post
    Am I right in thinking there is more than one Rolex dealer in Schipol? I am going through on Friday and had a mind to look before I even saw this interesting thread. But, reading between the lines I think I am 3-4 years too late!

locations of all stores - here:

https://www.schiphol.nl/en/what-to-d...security/list/

Al

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Allwatches View Post
    Is this true for all models? Including popular ones like BLNR, hulk and daytona? (one can dream..)
    Yes

Master
    Yes, the discount applies to every model. The odds of finding the ones you mentioned are not great though. In fact, it appears less likely to find ANY sports steel models there these days. I got them to sell me a GMT LN after a bit (a lot) of persuasion convinced the salesman to "take a look in the back". That was 3 years ago and things have changed for the worse since then.

Master
    Sometimes you get lucky. This was April 2015 with £1=€1.38

As others have noted it’s slim pickings on the SS Sports at the moment. No delivery since November.

Quote Originally Posted by FK77 View Post
    I think Heathrow discount is strictly a tax-free price and you can't avail that if travelling within the EU.
    I asked last summer in T5 and was told I would get the same discount if flying within the EU. Just ask.

Craftsman
    I can’t wait to book a flight from here! Wish I went through a few years back, Daytona’s galore

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Integrale View Post
    I asked last summer in T5 and was told I would get the same discount if flying within the EU. Just ask.
    Good to know Although I never found anything there that I was looking for.

Went to Gassan schipol on my way back from on 1 st Jan.

Display cases practically bare. The chappie was chatty. Said a sea dweller current price was 9.3 k euros.

Master
    They sent me the below today when I asked about stock being transferred -

Dear Mr Booth,

Thank you for your reply.

It is possible to transfer stock within all our Gassan Schiphol stores, but keep in mind, that if you are traveling through the Airport in Lounge 4, this is not possible. In Departure hall/Lounge 4 we do not have a store and therefor it is not possible to transfer stock.

Craftsman
    I was there yesterday, they had just received a delivery including a James Cameron Deepsea which a UK guy was contemplating. he tried to barter but got nowhere understandably. Think he bought it as it had gone a hour later. They sold a sub. to a guy while I was there and nearly sold me a yacht master (another story). Very nice upfront and knowledgable people. Told me the following: You can not reserve a watch. You can not buy any other way than being there in person. They will not divulge stock before you visit. The airport prices are free of the equivalent of Dutch VAT and so are cheaper than Gassan outlets outside the airport.

I was actually in the Rolex shop, but it is part of Gassan group and watches can be moved between shops in the airport very quickly.

All in all, a great place to buy a Rolex at a good price (as long as they have what you want in on the day)

Master
    Blog Entries
    Cool info.

Believe they have a bigger shop in there somewhere also with Omega and other brands.

With the Omega they were happy to source from a shop outside airport and reserve for pickup (VAT equivalent free).

I did this for a friend and picked up a Omega SPECTRE Seamaster a few years back

Master
    I was there yesterday, they had just received a delivery including a James Cameron Deepsea which a UK guy was contemplating. he tried to barter but got nowhere understandably. Think he bought it as it had gone a hour later. They sold a sub. to a guy while I was there and nearly sold me a yacht master (another story). Very nice upfront and knowledgable people. Told me the following: You can not reserve a watch. You can not buy any other way than being there in person. They will not divulge stock before you visit. The airport prices are free of the equivalent of Dutch VAT and so are cheaper than Gassan outlets outside the airport.

I was actually in the Rolex shop, but it is part of Gassan group and watches can be moved between shops in the airport very quickly.

All in all, a great place to buy a Rolex at a good price (as long as they have what you want in on the day)
    He would have paid €9463 which is about £8300 for the Deep-Blue. Not a bad deal.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chalet View Post
    He would have paid €9463 which is about £8300 for the Deep-Blue. Not a bad deal.
    Especially as he could have moved it on for 10k or more should he wish. Presumably people must have randomly walked in and by complete luck found a 116500 (Daytona) for 8k or so and shifted it for as high as 14k to one of the greys! So you get to the airport, turn left into duty free and buy a big toblerone or right into the Rolex shop and earn 6k whilst waiting for your flight!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    Especially as he could have moved it on for 10k or more should he wish. Presumably people must have randomly walked in and by complete luck found a 116500 (Daytona) for 8k or so and shifted it for as high as 14k to one of the greys! So you get to the airport, turn left into duty free and buy a big toblerone or right into the Rolex shop and earn 6k whilst waiting for your flight!
    Dream job. Quick trip into Amsterdamage for a 'coffee'. Boom.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Master

Makes me doubt that Rolex will be discontinuing the James Cameron if they are still being put out.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    Makes me doubt that Rolex will be discontinuing the James Cameron if they are still being put out.
    Agreed! I don't see what is the flagship diver being discontinued any time soon!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by 33JS View Post
    Agreed! I don't see what is the flagship diver being discontinued any time soon!
    Same, will still.be available.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Interesting thread that sparked a discussion with a good friend today. He just started a new job in Amsterdam while his wife and kids remain living in my village. He’s just started commuting through Schiphol at the start of the week and back to the UK for the weekend every single week. I’ve instructed him to pop into the Rolex boutique on every trip and supplied a wish list!

Master
    My mate bagged a white dial SS Daytona in Schipol last night. I hate him.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcm3 View Post
    Wow, lucky. Obviously a Daytona is on my mates shopping list!

Presumably they don't discount such a piece there?

Very fortunate nab!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    Presumably they don't discount such a piece there?

Very fortunate nab!
    He paid the equivalent of £8250. I don’t think we can be friends any more.

You can be his best ever friend and give him a nice 2k profit

The fact that my friend didn’t buy that watch as he travelled back today means his friendship with me is hanging by a thread too.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    You can be his best ever friend and give him a nice 2k profit
    Offered him +£5k but he wasn’t having it.

Craftsman
    Its good to know that the stories of buying a sought after watch at Schipol is not just a myth!

Smile

Offered him +£5k but he wasn’t having it.
    Git.......

"Kill him"

Its good to know that the stories of buying a sought after watch at Schipol is not just a myth!
    Pics or it never happened 😉

Journeyman
    No such luck for me

Passed through Geneva airport quite a few times in the last 2/3 years and always popped in looking for that elusive Daytona - no joy
    Last time in early Jan they did not even have a single submariner in stock

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    Pics or it never happened

Helped his hangover no end apparently...

Master
    Blog Entries

Jammy git :)

Master

Been there 3-4 times in the last 3 years but never been this lucky! I wonder if they put customer’s name on the card for a watch like this. They left it blank for the watches I bought and I wrote the name later myself.

Seriously impressed. White dial as well. Well done that man, superb buy!

Schiphol, end of the month and I think in the evenings seems to be the best chance of seeing brand new stock. Best I've seen is DSSD Cameron edition. But that was a few years back before all the craziness.

Your mate did well there Cliff!

Nothing in worth mentioning this morning when I passed through.

Kinda off topic but anyone know what Heathrow T5 is typically like ? I guess the Rolex shop is now open.

My mate passed through this afternoon. He received a wry smile when he asked if they had any steel sports watches in stock. Maybe next week.

Nice fishing hole and find!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by T1ckT0ck View Post
    Kinda off topic but anyone know what Heathrow T5 is typically like ? I guess the Rolex shop is now open.
    Typically bereft of any SS sports models and typically bereft of any interest from the sales staff when you ask. Maybe because they get asked that question at least once every 10 minutes.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by alanm_3 View Post
    Typically bereft of any SS sports models and typically bereft of any interest from the sales staff when you ask. Maybe because they get asked that question at least once every 10 minutes.
    Haven’t seen an SS sports Rolex in there for years, I go through about twice a month and always check

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by berin View Post
    Haven’t seen an SS sports Rolex in there for years, I go through about twice a month and always check

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app
    They say they get an odd model every couple of weeks. But sub or gmt no chance.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Boss13; 4th February 2018 at 09:24.