closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rolex Explorer: the one-watch solution

Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    I'm surprised at this, but maybe it's about taste or shape of the wrist.. My wrist is smaller at 6.75" and the 39mm Explorer is the perfect size for me.
    Men's wrist sizes haven't changes in the past 20 years, but tastes have. For at least a decade I wore a 36mm watch and it was the perfect size, then I got a 42mm watch and that was the perfect size, now I'm wearing a 40mm watch and that's the perfect size, yet my wrists haven't changed.

It's a great watch and can see why it could be a one watch solution, I've hardly worn mine as the SDc and Daytona seem to take all the lime light.

TBH after breaking it out of the safe for some fresh sales pics I withdrew it and thinking how good it would be on a Nato which would give it a little diversity over my other watches and possibly more wrist time.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    Men's wrist sizes haven't changes in the past 20 years, but tastes have. For at least a decade I wore a 36mm watch and it was the perfect size, then I got a 42mm watch and that was the perfect size, now I'm wearing a 40mm watch and that's the perfect size, yet my wrists haven't changed.
    I couldn't agree more.
    I have now set my maximum watch size to 40mm.

Journeyman
    I could happily wear larger than the 36mm but the 39mm hasn't just been scaled up, the proportions are different.

It's been two years since I got my Explorer, and it's still working out well as practically my only watch. Some of the feats it's endured during that time include:

• Doing the washing up
    • Mowing the lawn
    • Climbing a ladder
    • Drilling a hole in a wall
    • Going through airport security in one of the trays
    • Being worn in London
    • Being placed in snow for a photogenic snapshot

It's showing the marks of two years' wear, but I'm used to that by now and I like the lived-in look.

Interestingly, this photo that I've just taken is the first time I've noticed that scratch on the bezel just above 9 o'clock. Anyway, who needs a G-Shock? (Disclaimer: I have a 5000-1JF for 'back up', whatever that may entail.)

Master
    I've been wearing mine all last week since selling my other watches.. and surprisingly I'm warming to it being my only watch solution. I thought I'd miss the date but it's really all the watch one needs.

Sent from my BLA-L29 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    My personal highlight was 'drilling a hole in a wall',

Looks really excellent, I dont think you can go wrong with them!

Craftsman
    Well done........you have achieved the ultimate grail....the Perma-Watch

It won’t last???

Personally I’m prepared to try the experiment....but with a black dialled 36 OP........once Rolex put the 70h 3235 movement in it. My spare kidney is waiting

OP Black by Adam Stringer, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    It's been two years since I got my Explorer, and it's still working out well as practically my only watch. Some of the feats it's endured during that time include:

• Doing the washing up
    • Mowing the lawn
    • Climbing a ladder
    • Drilling a hole in a wall
    • Going through airport security in one of the trays
    • Being worn in London
    • Being placed in snow for a photogenic snapshot

It's showing the marks of two years' wear, but I'm used to that by now and I like the lived-in look.
    Made to be worn indeed!
    Mine is four tomorrow and has a little less wear than yours. I'm still delighted with the time keeping which is +1 per day.

Does anyone know if Rolex generally replace the bezel at service or simply refinish, assuming wear as in Sean's photo above?

TIA!

Craftsman
    Whenever I wear mine I always think to myself why do I wear anything else when this one suits pretty much any situation.....

"Being worn in London".....madness

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    Does anyone know if Rolex generally replace the bezel at service or simply refinish, assuming wear as in Sean's photo above?
    It wouldn’t be replaced unless you asked - and paid over and above the service cost - for a new one. No idea what it would cost. More than £200 I’d guess.

I'm seriously tempted to pick one up. I hear these are actually possible to find in UK ADs. Does anyone have experience of sourcing one recently?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by WhopperSenior View Post
    I'm seriously tempted to pick one up. I hear these are actually possible to find in UK ADs. Does anyone have experience of sourcing one recently?
    You’ll get one no problem in a couple of weeks

A bit quicker than the new GMT then

I bought one a few weeks back from David Robinson (Manchester). From my own enquiries it was hard to source in the North West. I contacted DR and they were very helpful, called me back later that day and had one sent up from their Canary Wharf branch. They told me they maybe get a couple per month at the moment .

Cheers

Thanks for the info guys and sorry for the thread hijack

I love them, and I’d have one if they made it bigger

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by WhopperSenior View Post
    A bit quicker than the new GMT then
    Definitely. My local AD (Fraser Hart) gets one 214270 in every month I'm told. There was one in the shop window last week.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Perfect_Sandwich View Post
    I love them, and I’d have one if they made it bigger
    Have you tried one on? They have a lot of dial on display and not much bezel, appearing bigger on the wrist than a Sub, as a reference point.

Rolex Explorer: the one-watch solution

Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    Have you tried one on? They have a lot of dial on display and not much bezel, appearing bigger on the wrist than a Sub, as a reference point.
    Yeah I have. It’s a gorgeous thing, but on my wide, flat wrist with a big hand hanging off it, the watch just looked too small to me. I tried a Milgauss as well (always loved the blue one) and felt the same way.

It wasn’t ridiculous, but they’re too expensive buy unless they’re “just right” to me. My tastes may change though. Bigger guys have worn smaller watches.
    Last edited by The_Perfect_Sandwich; 6th September 2018 at 21:56.

I got mine last weekend from the boutique in Leeds. They told me they usually get one a month. I’m actually a bit besotted and if I haven’t worn anything else in the next two or three weeks I’m putting my other watches on SC.

Craftsman

Explorer

Quote Originally Posted by KingKitega View Post
    Definitely. My local AD (Fraser Hart) gets one 214270 in every month I'm told. There was one in the shop window last week.

Seems to be the case for most AD’s in regards to Explorers and Milgauss availability, no shortage.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lostgear View Post

It won’t last???

Personally I’m prepared to try the experiment....but with a black dialled 36 OP........once Rolex put the 70h 3235 movement in it. My spare kidney is waiting

I much prefer this to the Explorer, the white dial version is even nicer.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Perfect_Sandwich View Post
    Yeah I have. It’s a gorgeous thing, but on my wide, flat wrist with a big hand hanging off it, the watch just looked too small to me. I tried a Milgauss as well (always loved the blue one) and felt the same way.

It wasn’t ridiculous, but they’re too expensive buy unless they’re “just right” to me. My tastes may change though. Bigger guys have worn smaller watches.
    That's definitely the correct perspective, especially if you've tried one. Good luck on the hunt for something else.

Quote Originally Posted by Neely8 View Post
    I got mine last weekend from the boutique in Leeds. They told me they usually get one a month. I’m actually a bit besotted and if I haven’t worn anything else in the next two or three weeks I’m putting my other watches on SC.

What a lovely shot of a brand new one! I'd perhaps suggest (without knowing what else you have) waiting a bit before disposing of the entire collection. Diversity and variety being the spice etc...

Journeyman
    Image1536272726.236167.jpg

Boy I just hate wearing my Explorer in London

Journeyman
    Beautiful watch I have a 2005 and just love the uniqueness of the dial

Craftsman
    I think that one of these will become my next big target, really does seem to be the watch for all occasions.

They really are a stunning watch and have to love how slim they are on the wrist...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A lot of very wise people on this thread, I love my Explorer and it could easily be a one watch solution if I I didn't have the bug. Its true that they can be seen quite often in AD windows. I like when you see it surrounded by brash and shiny pms and tts and the Explorer is just sitting with nothing to prove because it is a proper old school Rolex.
    J

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Jardine32 View Post
    A lot of very wise people on this thread, I love my Explorer and it could easily be a one watch solution if I I didn't have the bug. Its true that they can be seen quite often in AD windows. I like when you see it surrounded by brash and shiny pms and tts and the Explorer is just sitting with nothing to prove because it is a proper old school Rolex.
    J
    Not flashy...sits under the cuff well and just generally a great watch to own. I remember taking mine into the Rolex service centre at St James’ square just to get the bracelet adjusted quickly. “We don’t see many of those around on younger guys, it’s nice to see something different” one of the technicians said...I’ll take that as a compliment that I didn’t follow the Submariner herd. It’s a great versatile watch for all occasions...I even wore it in the gym a couple of times after forgetting to take it off, held up fine!

Quote Originally Posted by Jardine32 View Post
    I'd have to agree with that.

Master
    Once you get away from the obvious 'sports' range there are several strong candidates, all equally viable as a 'one watch' solution. The Datejust, the standard Oyster Perpetual, the Milgaus. All have identical water resistance and durability. You can't go wrong with any of them.Just like the Explorer.
    For me the Datejust does it all. But all these watches are surprisingly tough. The Explorer will happily go to Everest, but so will the others. Good old Rolex.
    Last edited by paskinner; 10th September 2018 at 10:24.

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Once you get away from the obvious 'sports' range there are several strong candidates, all equally viable as a 'one watch' solution. The Datejust, the standard Oyster Perpetual, the Milgaus. All have identical water resistance and durability. You can't go wrong with any of them.Just like the Explorer.
    For me the Datejust does it all. But all these watches are surprisingly tough. The Explorer will happily go to Everest, but so will the others. Good old Rolex.
    I agree that once you step away from the professional range you realise just how good all the models are for daily wear.

The Explorer would be one of the last I would part with.

Journeyman
    Very understated, I almost do a double take when I see someone wearing one. I have the 36mm and is my daily wear.

Craftsman
    I want one in the future no doubt.. my BB36 is the placeholder for now!

IMG_0382.JPG

Loving this watch.

Craftsman
    Had mine for about a year and a half now and am still loving it, it has a fair few scratches and dings through general wear but i don't care as i don't ever see myself getting rid of it. It's just so elegant and under the radar. One thing I've never quite understood is why they didn't use an applied logo like in the oyster perpetuals instead of a painted one.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    If you wear an Explorer 'and a G-Shock for situations when it's appropriate to wear one', isn't that a two-watch solution?
    You glue them together and thus make one watch and solve this problem.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lostgear View Post

It won’t last???

I’m thinking on similar lines, either the grey or green OP at 34 or 36mm. I feel less comfortable wearing a Sub or GMT in London of late.

Though today I’m wearing my Explorer. This is old school

Don't waste your time or your money Nick, you already have perfection on your wrist ;)

Lovely watch

Well, as lovely as yours is, I think the 14270 is a great watch to. Fantastic size, wears slightly smaller than yours for some strange reason, even though the case size is the same. Plus the benefit of a sapphire crystal, the benefits of which can be pro'd and con'd against the acrylic until the cows come home Oh yeah, and the lume still works.
    Also the one watch i will never get rid off.

Last edited by nickyboyo; 18th September 2018 at 20:33.

Craftsman
    It is indeed a great watch, but I am pretty sure that there actually is no one-watch solution. It's great for you, if you are content with only one watch, but that would never go well with me. Even if I was forced to sell all my watches and stay only with one, I'd be trying to get new ones as soon as I could afford it again. It's even hard for me to get rid of watches that I usually don'T wear. It feels like giving away sth. that you don't want to give a way in the end.

Master
    I wear my 14270 only sparingly as I tend to prefer something slightly bigger but as an understated, worry free watch for casual to smart occasions it's pretty much perfect. The later 39mm version wears a fraction big on me but even if it didn't the 36mm has more of a vintage 'less is more' feel to me. Not wanting to ignite a debate on that though, both are great if you like them!

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Agree totally, my Milgauss was my daily wearer for 4 years, just taking a breather whilst I wear my Field Engineer and Save the Ocean Samurai. Both of which are capable watches in their own right, but they shout more than the Milgauss (black dial GV)
    Understated and wears well even swimming in the sea.

Im not a one watch guy, but if I were, the Explorer would be my choice.

Master
    Blog Entries
    While I to like the Explorer 1 it would never be my only watch due to the bezel that seems to catch to many scuffs etc.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    While I to like the Explorer 1 it would never be my only watch due to the bezel that seems to catch to many scuffs etc.
    That’s my concern too. This is definitely my “premium” watch of choice, but I do tend to walk into things a lot, so I might be constantly worried about scratches Would it end up staring at me from the box...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You know it’s a tool watch, right?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    You know it’s a tool watch, right?
    Yes, whatever that means. I don’t doubt the Rolex claims that it will resist corrosion while I’m exploring.

I would just have to decide that I can live with regularly scratching a 5k watch, or regularly paying for refurb.

Are there lots on here with beautifully “worn in” Explorers? Maybe some more pictures would persuade me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk