closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rolex Explorer: the one-watch solution

Rolex Explorer: the one-watch solution

Have I reached the end of the horological road? I've been wearing the same watch for the past five months, which is unprecedented since I started getting interested in watches a few years ago.

I began with one of Timefactors' best, the Everest. Back then, spending £200-odd on a watch was a big thing, and I wore It for a while, during which time I supplemented it with a Seiko 007. The collection slowly expanded with other Timefactors including a couple of Speedbirds, a PRS-14 and a PRS-68 that I got to commemorate my daughter's birth. Without a doubt, the Timefactors stable was truly enjoyable and punched well above its weight. The Everest and 68 remain.

My forays then led to Omega, a premium manufacturer whose used prices represented what I felt was good value for the quality and design, and just as importantly, was within my reach. I started with a quartz Bond Seamaster from sales corner, which was closely followed by two more quartz Seamasters, a quartz Aqua Terra and three Speedmasters (an X-33, a Reduced and a MkII). As much as I enjoyed the Omegas, it was always a dilemma when it came time to decide what to wear. I'd be very attached to whatever I was wearing, but longed to wear the others in my watch box. It was a wrench to put whatever I had on my wrist back in the box, and this annoyance niggled away. So around the start of last year I decided that I should consolidate, a decision that was helped by realising the aggregate value of the Omegas added up to a tidy sum. So over the course of a few months off they all went, and the Timefactors pair slipped back into heavier rotation.

The watch I decided on was one I was quite sure that I'd be happy with long term because I'd owned and worn a homage to it for quite a while: the Everest. Buying the Explorer was quite something. I'd never have believed, just a year or two before, that I'd ever spend that much on a watch, or that I'd be so comfortable doing so.

The watch itself is quite something. It looks great, is understated, comfortable and exudes quality. I'm so happy with it I've actually abandoned the idea I'd been harbouring of another Rolex joining it in my collection, as I just can't imagine anything displacing the Explorer. I've the two Timefactors that I'm keeping for the sentiment attached to them, and a G-Shock for situations when it's appropriate to wear one. But, at least for the time being, the Explorer seems to be the endgame for me. And I'm very happy about that!

Lovely watch! You have achieved what I couldn't even imagine - I'm truly very envious.

I wore a 16570 Explorer II every day for many years, and never thought I'd buy another watch. I wouldn't go back to that model as my only watch, but I have made it a goal for 2017 to reduce my overall watch numbers by half.
    It's just a matter of time...

Craftsman
    Certainly a lovely watch, I have had a similar journey and would probably have the same one watch if it wasn't the need for a date feature :(
    Still enjoying the the search though :)

Quote Originally Posted by neillp View Post
    Certainly a lovely watch, I have had a similar journey and would probably have the same one watch if it wasn't the need for a date feature :(
    Still enjoying the the search though :)
    Yup. I have to have a date otherwise I'd be all over it. The aquaterra GMT with a lovely date at 6 is calling to me but at 5k I can't justify it, however it's an explorer alternative in my opinion.

Apprentice
    I had the same journey as you and settled with the Rolex Air king

Sent from my Harrier Tab from EE using Tapatalk

Weirdly in the last two weeks I've been to a fancy office party, skied a week in the Austrian alps, spent a few days in the office at the keyboard and been on a "night out" with friends. My 2015 Explorer (the previous model to the OP's) has literally not left my wrist in all that time.
    The micro extension in the bracelet covers the extra space needed for ski jacket inner lining / night-time comfort.
    It's going to be a wrench to force myself to swap to something else.
    It's amazing how versatile these things are.

I'm pretty sure it would be the end game for me too - understated class in every way. For years the Sub was the ultimate for me but as I've gotten older I think the Explorer is the one.

Beautiful.

Journeyman
    Many of us have had similar journeys.
    The Explorer is the Rolex watch to have without being 'in your face'. It is such an iconic watch with the history and was produced before the 'other' SS models that we now desire when buying the first Rolex.
    A watch for ALL occasions.

Master
    Aren't all competent watches fine as a single choice? Most are presumably designed with that assumption. And what Rolex doesn't meet the same criteria? Anywhere you can wear an Explorer you can, in reality, wear a Date-Just. That's a key design feature of the whole Oyster Perpetual range. Just buy what you personally fancy.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Time2Go View Post
    Many of us have had similar journeys.
    The Explorer is the Rolex watch to have without being 'in your face'. It is such an iconic watch with the history and was produced before the 'other' SS models that we now desire when buying the first Rolex.
    A watch for ALL occasions.
    It was the Air king that was first 1945 and then the Explorer 1953
    I had both but sold the explorer as I wore only the Air king

Rolex Explorer: the one-watch solution

I get what you are saying. I have had lots of different watches.

At the minute I have a BLNR, DaytonaC and a 2005 Breitling SuperOcean Steelfish. I prefer and only wear the SO at the minute.

I do question if I need or really want the others sometimes. However, having not worn the SO for a while I think I have just fallen for it, this will happen with the others again.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by Robbyman; 4th February 2017 at 10:09.

Master
    I have to agree. If I was only allowed one watch, it would be an Explorer and I don't think I'd ever tire of it.

I sold one of the new 2016 models, and would like another at some point. It really is a fabulous all-rounder.

I bought a second hand but mint 2010 explorer two years ago. Have worn it every day since. Other watches are stuck in the safe!

It's elegant, weighty, and not too obtrusive.

Getting the itch for a new watch now for a change, but find myself looking at similar models (airking, railmaster, mark xvi). Think the simplicity and symmetry just satisfy my eye.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Aren't all competent watches fine as a single choice? Most are presumably designed with that assumption. And what Rolex doesn't meet the same criteria? Anywhere you can wear an Explorer you can, in reality, wear a Date-Just. That's a key design feature of the whole Oyster Perpetual range. Just buy what you personally fancy.
    That is a great point.... all of the stainless steel rolex sports watches are in my opinion suitable to wear at any time with any outfit, my current one happens to be the 16600 but I must say however, that explorer is just gorgeous and I'd be more than happy to have that as my only watch.

I'm beginning to see the attraction of an Explorer.

Has the WR been fairly consistent over the last 20 years or are some more robust and better able to withstand water than others?

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Integrale View Post
    I bought a second hand but mint 2010 explorer two years ago. Have worn it every day since. Other watches are stuck in the safe!

It's elegant, weighty, and not too obtrusive.

Getting the itch for a new watch now for a change, but find myself looking at similar models (airking, railmaster, mark xvi). Think the simplicity and symmetry just satisfy my eye.
    I had the Explorer and wore only that until I got the Air king which took over and once on my wrist I've never taken it off

Master
    A design classic, no doubt. Enough refinement to look v dressy, enough heft to look sporty and everyday. I'm torn between pics of explorer and air king. How close are they in size?

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Apprentice
    My Air king is 34mm and my explorer was 36mm

I can see myself doing this too.

I love the understated look of the Explorer and the way it can look casual and dressy too.

I've been quite close to selling the SD to get one a few times.

Is it true that as one gets a little older, ones taste becomes a little simpler?

Craftsman
    Sorry folks, for me one watch is not a solution. I have ten ATM!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Go Big View Post
    I can see myself doing this too.

I love the understated look of the Explorer and the way it can look casual and dressy too.

I've been quite close to selling the SD to get one a few times.

Is it true that as one gets a little older, ones taste becomes a little simpler?
    Yes as I got older my tastes changed and for my 60th birthday I received my Air king which has now become my only watch

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    A design classic, no doubt. Enough refinement to look v dressy, enough heft to look sporty and everyday. I'm torn between pics of explorer and air king. How close are they in size?

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
    The new Explorer is 39mm

I really can't see myself being a one-watch guy - although if I had to choose one the new Explorer would be a contender.

Well done OP in reaching your Nirvana! I hope you have time to stick around on the forum and still keep an interest in all things horological.

All the best

Martyn
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 4th February 2017 at 11:11.

Not necessarily. It hasn't happened to me...

Simon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really really struggle to understand the need, once you embrace this hobby, once you know this world, for an exit watch, a one watch solution.
    Unless you have financial problems, why one watch?
    This is a hobby, it is supposed to be fun to choose between multiple alternatives.......... the "struggle and the dilemma" to choose a watch? C'mon.....
    Don't get me wrong the watch is terrific and if it wasn't for the missing date it would already be mine (or the other 40mm Rolex watch the Milgauss).

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    ^ I think it's often an accidental arrival when you find yourself not wearing or being interested in anything else after a long period of time. If you've not put anything else on in months all the others within a collection become things to maintain and insure rather than wear and enjoy so selling up and going on holiday or diverting funds elsewhere becomes a tempting proposition.

The explorer is a lovely watch. But could never be my "one" solution as I'm a bezel user.
    Theyre fantastic though, particularly now the hands are fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by tanatron View Post
    I really really struggle to understand the need, once you embrace this hobby, once you know this world, for an exit watch, a one watch solution.
    Unless you have financial problems, why one watch?
    This is a hobby, it is supposed to be fun to choose between multiple alternatives.......... the "struggle and the dilemma" to choose a watch? C'mon.....
    Don't get me wrong the watch is terrific and if it wasn't for the missing date it would already be mine (or the other 40mm Rolex watch the Milgauss).
    In this instance, and I suspect most of examples like this, a One Watch wasn't pursued, but rather the One Watch found him.

I think that as one's eyesight deteriorates, simple dials that are legible become more appealing.

I really like the explorer and have considered one many times. I haven't yet bought one but feel the need to try both the 36mm and 39mm versions before making my mind up.

Certainly more refined. I've swapped a chrono for a diver because I never used the chrono feature. I'll probably never use the divers bezel so next step would be an Explorer.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    The new Explorer is 39mm

I really can't see myself being a one-watch guy - although if I had to choose one the new Explorer would be a contender.

Well done OP in reaching your Nirvana! I hope you have time to stick around on the forum and still keep an interest in all things horological.

All the best

Martyn
    Lovely image, super watch.

Craftsman
    I've become smitten with the Explorer, I think it's the elegant simplicity along with the quality feel on the wrist that appeals so much. I could happily wear the Explorer as an only watch. I think the 2016 model for me has the optimum size at 39mm and with the slightly longer hands looks far superior to the previous model.

I really like the explorer but for me it is too small otherwise I would have one. I opted for the Omega AT GMT in black as my utility watch that can do almost everything. It's 43mm so perfect for me but for most the 39mm explorer is perfect. I wish it was a little larger as I love it...

Chris

I envy your position where you are happy with just one watch. I must admit though, as much as I love the new Explorer it is the least worn of my collection.

Your story exactly matches my experience. I purchased a new one in November 2016 after selling several pieces to fund it. It was the best watch decision I have ever made. The explorer hasn't left my wrist and I have no interest in any more watch purchases.
    Game Over

Craftsman
    Well done on settling for one 😂. I owned one but found it just too bland - despite it being a nice watch

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    I'm pretty sure it would be the end game for me too - understated class in every way. For years the Sub was the ultimate for me but as I've gotten older I think the Explorer is the one.

Beautiful.
    Congratulations Sean, they are special.

Dave - I agree with you about the Sub, my Explorer is certainly now my favourite Rolex but overall my Speedy just sneaks in front as all time favourite. If the Speedy had a slightly better WR, well...

Last edited by dkpw; 4th February 2017 at 14:31.

Best decision I ever made.

Not down to one yet, several others I love too, but this could be a one watch solution for me (plus a U1, Tuna, BFK, 2254 and a few others of course).
    Last edited by Routers; 5th February 2017 at 10:18.

Well done Sean, nice to see someone reach the land of contentment - a place that I have yet to reach. I had a PRS14 and flipped it, wouldn't mind another if you ever get the urge to move it on

I agree with Dave+63's comment earlier that as you get older and the eyesight fails a clearer tidy dial becomes more desirable. I had the smaller Explorer for a few weeks and let it go. It felt too small on me and as it was a full set piece with the 'black out' dial it spent its time with me in a safe.

I have been looking at the green glass Milgauss, similar in simplicity and the green glass and the lightening second hand add a little touch of something else to make it a bit different. I have been allocated a Speedy Tuesday, but unlike others I cannot get excited about it at all.

I like the idea that the watch sort of found you, in affection terms and has grown on you - rather than you deciding something is 'the one' based on a few pictures and other people's enthusiasm.

One day I will join you in the land of contentment.

I had a similar journey, via some Quartz Seamasters but now ended up with a 15200. I originally looked at the Air King with the 'Explorer' dial but wanted a date function for the ideal everyday watch.
    I think I prefer the look of the older 14270 with the more svelte case, although personally not a fan of the Mercedes hands.

Master
    I have 4 Rolex, a 39mm Explorer, a Freccione Explorer11, a Sub Date and a Zenith Daytona.

I would willingly drop the last 3 into the Thames if it meant that I had to do that in order to keep my Explorer. It is simply a beautiful watch.

Craftsman
    The Explorer was my first expensive watch and if need be could be "The One". 36mm suits me best, here's mine from 2000:

If you wear an Explorer 'and a G-Shock for situations when it's appropriate to wear one', isn't that a two-watch solution?

I've just sold a watch so I can genuinely say that my Explorer is my one and only watch! As others have said, I love the fact that it is an under the radar Rolex, unlike the rest of the sports range. I have average (7 1/4") wrists so the 36mm version is the best version for me.

Master
    I really like like Explorer apart from the fact that I am not keen on the mercedes hand on such a "dressy" watch.

Journeyman
    Love my 114270. I was pining for a sub (may still get one) but they are so common in London. Would only swap it for a 1018 but they are so expensive...

Agree Speedmaster is probably the closest 'one watch'.

Journeyman
    A classic watch.

Blog Entries
    Lovely watch and glad to hear of the enlightenment- the true end of the horological road is when no watch is needed ! You surpass it on another level

I got interested in watches & joined here 7 years ago. Learned a lot and over a couple of years I acquired a small collection, before falling for 'the one' (bought on here) after a couple of years - an Omega SMP Full-size Auto Titanium 'Electric Blue' (2231.80). Still absolutely love it & we will never be parted! Drifted away from the Forum though still have the modest (if little-worn) collection. With my 50th Birthday approaching I thought I would treat myself to a Rolex - just because I finally can - but which one? Came back on the forum and started researching again. Had in mind an everyday & all-occasion Rolex (to justify the outlay). To cut a long story short I've fallen hook-line-&-sinker for this Explorer 214270, Baselworld 2016 upgrade. It looks just perfect for me and following a bit of a search I've managed to source a mint used full-set September '16 model from a retailer at a really attractive price. Have put a deposit down & will complete the deal next week. Really excited about it - and I know without even having worn it yet, much like the Electric Blue, this one is for life! 😁 This time though I hope I'll stick with the forum a little longer. Thanks for bearing with me...

Sent from my HTC One dual sim using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    I have average (7 1/4") wrists so the 36mm version is the best version for me.
    I'm surprised at this, but maybe it's about taste or shape of the wrist.. My wrist is smaller at 6.75" and the 39mm Explorer is the perfect size for me.

I agree with all comments above - of my 5 Rolex, I find my new model Explorer the most comfortable and nicest to wear (but I do miss the date).

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    I have 4 Rolex, a 39mm Explorer, a Freccione Explorer11, a Sub Date and a Zenith Daytona.

I would willingly drop the last 3 into the Thames if it meant that I had to do that in order to keep my Explorer. It is simply a beautiful watch.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    I'm surprised at this, but maybe it's about taste or shape of the wrist.. My wrist is smaller at 6.75" and the 39mm Explorer is the perfect size....
    I'm not surprised that you're surprised. Most people seem to have embraced the trend towards larger cases but I found the 214270 too large and because of this too shouty. I think it wears big due to an 'all dial' design with a lack of a diver type bezel. I found the 39mm OP to be similarly too big and the Date Just 2 to be comically large. Have a look at those ubiquitous pictures of James Gandolfini as Tony Soprano rocking a 36mm Day Date. Does it look too small on him? I don't think so and his wrists are much bigger than mine. Each to their own though. It's really not that important. I do think everyone is convincing themselves that big is better but in the Explorer it absolutely isn't.