closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommend a good parka, please ...

Master

Recommend a good parka, please ...

I try to go for a walk before bedtime most nights in most weathers. My 'Hoggs of Fife' coat is wearing out.

Would you please recommend a good parka to replace it?

Master
    Fjallraven

Superb.. they do several different models. The main difference is how cold do you want to go. They have one which is c. £1500 that's good for something daft like -50! I saw one in the Ambleside shop... you couldn't miss it, it was the only coat they had chained down! Apparently they had actually sold a couple.

I use a Berghaus Ulvetanna which I got on a price match so felt like I'd stolen it. What I like about it is that it's exactly the right length for me, and doesn't feel like you're wearing a straight jacket - particularly when you lift your arms. I don't quite know how they've done it with such a large and heavy coat but the arm articulation is excellent.

I also like what they've done with the shape. I can wear it over a t shirt without it feeling baggy, but also wear it over three layers (the last of which is quite bulky) without it feeling tight! Again, I don't know how they've done it but if they did it intentionally it's a great design and it works.

I can scarcely fault it to be honest. I think some more inside pocketry would be nice. If you're looking at them you need a size down, the medium is massive for example.

I got a Swedish Army Parka off eBay and it's extremely warm. Lots to choose from here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_fr...parka&_sacat=0

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Craftsman
    You don't need a Parka. I walk everyday in all weather, when very cold I only use a Buffalo Mountain shirt, with a t shirt underneath, never been cold. Brilliant bit of kit. But the ultimate in Parkas are Canada Goose, but really expensive

Take a look at Didriksons - don't see loads of them in the UK, my partner just bought a Didriksons Lina parker, for the cost it is great quality.

Good quality, looks good and keeps her warm & dry whilst still being breathable. Lots of nice features such as media pocket, thumb loops and extra warm lining on the back.

If they were better known in the UK, I'd expect them to be more expensive.

Other options would be a down filled parker from one of the well known outdoor manufacturers, but could end up being too warm for your intended use? As mentioned above, Canada Goose make some very nice parker coats, but they are also very expensive.

There's usually a good selection on SC, mainly women's mind.

Thought I'd say it before one of you lot does

If you buy a jacket that's designed to go down to -50 you will just get too hot in it in the UK, it doesn't get that cold here so I've always found you don't need to go crazy with Arctic survival gear

I bought a RAB jacket that I went to Iceland in one Winter and never use it here I just get too hot in it even with just a T-Shirt underneath.

Another vote for Didrikksons- from mrs Goat who loves hers....

For a parka I'd go Fjallraven - lots of different options from unlined, synthetic lining, down, expedition level down etc.
    As a starting point for a winter parka suitable for the UK in term of warmth try the Singi Winter Jacket, if you feel the cold then the Singi Down Jacket is a little warmer.

As an alternate have you considered going a Gore-Tex style walking jacket with a zip in synthetic or down liner for when it's cold?
    For work I wear a plain black Mammut Gore-Tex and when it gets really cold a zip in Mammut Whitehorn down jacket - very warm and waterproof.

Got fed up getting cold watching the boy play mini rugby, so got myself a Special 6 shirt from this mob. Brilliant piece of kit. With just a t shirt underneath problem solved & its outlasted his rugby career!
    TT

http://www.armynnavy.com/catalog/cat....php/cPath/301

Another vote for Fjallraven - great company too. I've got an Arc'teryx thermal coat that has seen me through two winters with prolonged stays in Boston/NYC and it rarely gets as cold here.

Personally I avoid Canada Goose as i'd never wear anything with real fur.

Get that Woolrich off sales corner!

Quote Originally Posted by Albellisimo View Post
    If the size is right it is indeed a good one.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    This.

Wearing my similar one again today and is ideal

Agile Wolfcreek for me.

https://www.outdoorandcountry.co.uk/...B0MaAucN8P8HAQ

or if walking then a Patagonia Down 850 . super lightweight and toasty.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Cheap - get a jumper and or body-warmer underneath and very well made:

https://www.countryattire.com/sale/m...ket-olive.html

Master
    Thank you, everyone.

For the moment, I've kept business at home in TK-UK and gone with Abellisimo's recommendation to buy Vinny's highly praised Woolrich.

However, Vinny's kindly sold it on 'fit or return'. So, my fingers are crossed ...

I still love my 1972 M-65 Parka, Might be a bit Mod-ish for some though
    wook

I am a strong supporter of Land's End products and own many myself. They offer numerous "parkas" of exceptional quality at very reasonable prices, like this Expedition Bomber jacket for $169.99:

http://www.landsend.com/shop/mens-co..._-txt#And More

Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    I am a strong supporter of Land's End products and own many myself. They offer numerous "parkas" of exceptional quality at very reasonable prices, like this Expedition Bomber jacket for $169.99:

http://www.landsend.com/shop/mens-co..._-txt#And More

He's right.

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    Cheap - get a jumper and or body-warmer underneath and very well made:

https://www.countryattire.com/sale/m...ket-olive.html
    That site has an excellent looking ventile jacket at a knockdown price.

https://www.countryattire.com/sale/m...l#&gid=1&pid=4

Very pleased with my Jack Wolfskin parka. Good quality and very warm, in fact can only wear it a few days a year as find it too warm

Master
    Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I’m trying to decide between a winter parka now and I’ve been looking at Fjallraven but I can’t decide between 3 of them (Barents, singi winter or singi down) had a mooch around the shops today but no joy finding a good stockist etc. So does anyone have one recommendations etc, I did find a lovely belstaff (northbridge) but alas they didn’t have my size and couldn’t get it. Any help much appreciated.

Very pleased with my Jack Wolfskin parka, very warm and hard wearing

Quote Originally Posted by bootneck View Post
    Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I’m trying to decide between a winter parka now and I’ve been looking at Fjallraven but I can’t decide between 3 of them (Barents, singi winter or singi down) had a mooch around the shops today but no joy finding a good stockist etc. So does anyone have one recommendations etc, I did find a lovely belstaff (northbridge) but alas they didn’t have my size and couldn’t get it. Any help much appreciated.
    Get a genuine n3b. I bought my daughter one but i don't think she wears it, I'd you want i can ask her if she wants to sell it? Very difficult to find a good one these days
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Craftsman
    Would it be for wearing in the UK? If so a word of warning. Don't get too carried away.

Few years back I decided that I just had to have the warmest coat in the world. So tapped this very phrase into google and shelled out for a Canada Goose Snow Mantra.
    Which then spent many years taking up half my wardrobe space, interspersed with a few hours of wearing max.

It was a beautifully made thing but 2 things made it totally impractical for our climate.
    First off, it is designed for being stationary at around -50 degrees so obviously it got a little warm, even in the middle of our winter. One thing I also hadn't considered was that it doesn't rain at -50 so it has no waterproofness either, again, less than ideal for UK.
    The biggest problem though was the sheer weight and size of the thing. As I couldn't wear it here I took it on a few snowboarding holidays. No lie, it would take up half of my luggage allowance in both volume and weight and still not be worn due to the actual physical activity involved in sliding your way down a mountain.
    Not too mention that wearing the thing rendered you completely inflexible. Hilarious trying to wear it in a car.
    Great novelty piece but just not practical. Only place you would not look out of place in one of those would be within 50m of the North pole being pulled behind a line of huskies.
    Eventually got rid of it to a gentleman who ran Arctic expeditions.
    Make do with a bog standard lightweight hooded down jacket these days. That was relatively inexpensive and breaths so well that it always feels the right temperature whatever the weather is doing.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Holy Moses View Post
    Would it be for wearing in the UK? If so a word of warning. Don't get too carried away.

Few years back I decided that I just had to have the warmest coat in the world. So tapped this very phrase into google and shelled out for a Canada Goose Snow Mantra.
    Which then spent many years taking up half my wardrobe space, interspersed with a few hours of wearing max.

It was a beautifully made thing but 2 things made it totally impractical for our climate.
    First off, it is designed for being stationary at around -50 degrees so obviously it got a little warm, even in the middle of our winter. One thing I also hadn't considered was that it doesn't rain at -50 so it has no waterproofness either, again, less than ideal for UK.
    The biggest problem though was the sheer weight and size of the thing. As I couldn't wear it here I took it on a few snowboarding holidays. No lie, it would take up half of my luggage allowance in both volume and weight and still not be worn due to the actual physical activity involved in sliding your way down a mountain.
    Not too mention that wearing the thing rendered you completely inflexible. Hilarious trying to wear it in a car.
    Great novelty piece but just not practical. Only place you would not look out of place in one of those would be within 50m of the North pole being pulled behind a line of huskies.
    Make do with a bog standard lightweight hooded down jacket these days. That was relatively inexpensive and breaths so well that it always feels the right temperature whatever the weather is doing.

Lmao thanks genuinely made me laugh out loud, I too made the Canada goose mistake a while back felt like I was taking a sauna and I’m not sure I ever zipped it up so sold it. The Fjällräven ones I’ve listed aren’t in that league they’ll be warm but not Canada goose warm should be about right for the U.K. winter maybe I hope, the Barents one is waterproof on its own but they can all be waterproofed using the wax they sell. More wondering if anyone here had one and could comment.

Blog Entries
    I’ve had my CG Expedition parka for four winters now and it is a fantastic bit of kit.

As mentioned you would not want to go shopping in it but for watching footie and winter wanders by the sea I think there is very little out there which is better. I never wear anything other than a tshirt under it and it is fine not too hot st all.

Cost..... mine came from a local stockist 50% off on the last day of the January sale so a bargain. Having had it four years it is like new and for me they are worth the money with a bit of discount.

Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    I never wear anything other than a tshirt under it and it is fine not too hot st all.

Thats not true pal. I remember when we met up in sea palling that time and you were only wearing stockings and suspenders
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

I have a few fjallraven winter jackets, including the Singi winter one. It's probably the most ideal for UK weather as it has the full G1000 material to help with rain and wind and a reasonable level of artifical insulation inside to keep you warm but not incinerated inside. It also has a big hood to keep out the wind if need be and a long fishtail back to keep your backside covered. It does wear big though as I'm usually a size large and even in medium it still wears big on me, so if possible I'd try and try it on before buying it.

I'd avoid the down as you'll rarely need it for the UK, unless your standing stationery for hours at a time.

Just as a footnote on fjallraven customer service. My zip broke on my 7 year old Nordi padded jacket (my fault I may add). As a long shot, as the zip was colour matched to the jacket, I emailed fjallraven to see if they might have any same colour zips. They asked for the zip code on the jacket, checked the warehouse and the next day posted a new zip out to me,free gratis.
    Last edited by zippy; 5th December 2017 at 20:32.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    Thats not true pal. I remember when we met up in sea palling that time and you were only wearing stockings and suspenders
    And we said we would keep that strictly between us if you remember. Oh well secrets out, it goes also nicely with a black teddy I have.

Master

I'm afraid + 1

Master
    I had a north face mcmurdo parka looked great but was practically unwearable in the uk

Craftsman
    i used to look enviously at people in their CG Expedition parkas, once I'd realised the mistake I'd made with my (bright red!) Snow Mantra.
    Expedition Parkas still come with all that CG quality but are of far more sensible and usable dimensions, albeit at the upper end of the warmth scale for UK. They appear almost casual in comparison. If I had of got one instead I imagine I would still be using and enjoying it to this day. I have always particularly liked them in Grey.
    Snow Mantra at around twice the weight was nothing short of ridiculous. One of the many occasions in life where greed at having to have the top of the range doesn't always pay off.

Grand Master
    I spend a fair amount of time walking in winter, and I really don’t like being cold!

However, it’s a big mistake to buy a coat that’s too warm. I made this mistake last year, bought a padded coat that’s fine for standing around on a cold day but useless for walking because it’s simply too warm. Best thing to do us wear layers, a fleece under a windproof Goretex outer layer is my preference.

Paul

Master
    Thanks guys, I’ve taken a punt on the Fjallraven Barents Parka as a few of the reviews seem to say 8ts perfect for the U.K. weather ie coldish and wet rather than below freezing. I’ll update on what i think once I receive it I’ve also sized down on advice of a few reviews too so fingers crossed it actually fits, I just wanted something a bit smarter around town than my usual winter jackets which are the usual down belay type jackets.
    I’m frightened to add up how many jackets I own now which must include paramos full range lol

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I spend a fair amount of time walking in winter, and I really don’t like being cold!

However, it’s a big mistake to buy a coat that’s too warm. I made this mistake last year, bought a padded coat that’s fine for standing around on a cold day but useless for walking because it’s simply too warm. Best thing to do us wear layers, a fleece under a windproof Goretex outer layer is my preference.

Paul
    Out on the hills or walking the dog in winter try a paramo halcon with one of their jumpers underneath below around 4deg I can’t praise that jacket enough for U.K. walking

Craftsman
    Congratulations. I hope it turns out to be just right for you.

I also seem to have to carry out occasional culls to my jacket collection to keep the numbers under control.
    It may be just me, but I've always harboured a suspicion that men tend to have lots of upper half garments. Jackets, jumpers, t-shirts etc as these are easily acquired from a distance with just a rough idea of sizing.
    Whilst on the other hand always running low when it come to the bottom half and trousers. As the fit of these is more critical and therefore requires actual visiting to a place of shopping, with people and things.

Craftsman
    At the very least it would help to explain Pitch3110's penchant for combining his parka with nothing but underwear and t-shirts :)

A word of warning on Canada Goose. I nearly got suckered into buying one of the many counterfeit ones advertised online. Fortunately a little older and a little wiser, if it looks too good to be true it probably is.

Master
    Blog Entries
    And we said we would keep that strictly between us if you remember. Oh well secrets out, it goes also nicely with a black teddy I have.
    Can’t be that much of a secret. Friends of mine at a local German car dealership were shocked to see you in the same garb with stilettos and pink basque 😜😜

I've just bought a MA. Strum Amtrac down filled parka.

https://www.getthelabel.com/p/ma-str...l-jacket/79975

I haven't actually worn it yet because the cold snap we had recently ended the day after it arrived, but it looks like I'll get a chance this weekend.

Otherwise, I've found my trusty Patagonia Isthmus does the job, but you'll need something more than a T-shirt underneath if it gets really chilly.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by catch21 View Post
    A word of warning on Canada Goose. I nearly got suckered into buying one of the many counterfeit ones advertised online. Fortunately a little older and a little wiser, if it looks too good to be true it probably is.
    Got to be one of the most copied things out there.
    Once you're familiar with the real thing some of the photo's online are laughable. The coyote fur trim is usually the easiest give away.
    I imagine some counterfeiters use genuine items in their photos though and then send their victims the rubbish.
    As with most quality brands there is no doubting the real deal once you get your hands on it.

Master
    I have an Expedition and it has to be pretty cold here to warrant wearing it. I don't wear it unless it is - temperatures and in London, that is hard to come by (got it before I moved here). I am not a fan of wearing 5 layers to go out for a walk or whatever so it is handy as it is all the warmth you will ever need over a t-shirt!

I had mine for sale here as I was looking at changing for a slightly slimmer model as the expedition sizing is massive. I am usually a M in jackets and the S in it is really a little big. I would not consider paying full price for one and I was looking at a discounted one (from an AD) only because I could sell mine for the same amount as that would cost hence listing it. I got mine in the days before everyone wanted them and at a price comparable with other good quality parkas. On that note, the new (non expedition type) ones don't seem to be quite as good quality as my old one which has also put me off a bit.

For a day to day parka I would suggest Woolrich (as I did above in fact). I had one but have sold it to force me to wear the CG one more! Good quality, comparable to the urban type CG models but cheaper and lighter.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmcb View Post
    Can’t be that much of a secret. Friends of mine at a local German car dealership were shocked to see you in the same garb with stilettos and pink basque 
    And this is from someone who wears skirts with no pants.....

- - - Updated - - -

At the very least it would help to explain Pitch3110's penchant for combining his parka with nothing but underwear and t-shirts :)
    You know what they say, don't knock it until.........

Master
    Blog Entries
    And this is from someone who wears skirts with no pants.....
    aye bit wurr tuff up heer ye ken :-)

- - - Updated - - -

You know what they say, don't knock it until.........
    and are you still selling knock offs :-P

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I have an aigle one. Waterproof and is warm without being baking.
    https://www.aigle.com/en_uk/parkas-and-coats-47.html

Master
    Got one of these a few weeks ago. Lightweight,warm and waterproof.

https://arcteryx.com/gb/en/shop/mens/fission-sv-jacket