closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recommend a good parka, please ...

What you really need is a Drive On Parka
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Blog Entries
    Use a Woolrich Arctic Anorak - super warm. Slightly shorter than the Parka.

Master
    Just realised I may have sized down twice by accident on my order oops maybe it won’t fit lol Ive gone large when I usually hover between an xl and xxl ah well should be here Friday so I’ll know then got my toes and everything crossed it fits.

Quote Originally Posted by bootneck View Post
    Just realised I may have sized down twice by accident on my order oops maybe it won’t fit lol Ive gone large when I usually hover between an xl and xxl ah well should be here Friday so I’ll know then got my toes and everything crossed it fits.
    ring them up? maybe they haven't dispatched yet.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    ring them up? maybe they haven't dispatched yet.
    I’ve gone with amazon for the free returns tempted to just order an xl too and return the one that doesn’t fit

Master
    Well I chickened out on the sizing cancelled my order of the Barents Parka and ordered the Fjallraven Yupik parka in xl because they didn’t have the Barents in stock in xl, what the difference is between the two jackets is I’m unsure to be honest they pretty much seem the same. Anyway it was delivered today which giventhe weather we’ve had couldn’t have been timed better, my thoughts so far are it’s absolutley perfect for this country just right tonight with just a tshirt temp around 1deg but I’d say windchill around -2 it’s spot on. Anything lower maybe around -5ish maybe need a thin jumper too, hydratic lined (which is their goretex I think) so properly waterproof and more pockets than you can shake a stick at including 2 big drop poacher style mesh pockets inside ideal for hat and gloves. The material seems very tough like a canvas but smoother if that makes sense, overall I’m very very impressed it’ll last for years I reckon and it’s a perfect fit for me in xl so glad I chickened out. Well worth a look for anyone looking for something warm without being cooked like my previous Canada goose lol.

Craftsman
    Thanks for the update. Glad you're pleased with your final choice. I shall look it up.
    As you say best bits got to be the timing, arriving just before what looks to be a particularly frigid weekend.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bootneck View Post
    Well I chickened out on the sizing cancelled my order of the Barents Parka and ordered the Fjallraven Yupik parka in xl because they didn’t have the Barents in stock in xl, what the difference is between the two jackets is I’m unsure to be honest they pretty much seem the same. Anyway it was delivered today which giventhe weather we’ve had couldn’t have been timed better, my thoughts so far are it’s absolutley perfect for this country just right tonight with just a tshirt temp around 1deg but I’d say windchill around -2 it’s spot on. Anything lower maybe around -5ish maybe need a thin jumper too, hydratic lined (which is their goretex I think) so properly waterproof and more pockets than you can shake a stick at including 2 big drop poacher style mesh pockets inside ideal for hat and gloves. The material seems very tough like a canvas but smoother if that makes sense, overall I’m very very impressed it’ll last for years I reckon and it’s a perfect fit for me in xl so glad I chickened out. Well worth a look for anyone looking for something warm without being cooked like my previous Canada goose lol.
    You can't go wrong with Fjallraven... excellent winter wear though, tbh, I think their summer stuff is a bit poor; more fashion than function.

Recommend a good parka, please ...

Ok, I know it’s middle of summer and nobody is much interested in a Parka at the moment. But in 4 months times they’ll be 3 times the price. So, if you buy one now, stick in it the back of the wardrobe for a few months and pull it out when it gets cold.

I bought this parka back in March at the end of the winter sales for more money, and it is a fantastic piece of kit. More fitted that the usual TNF stuff, loads of useful pockets and Primaloft insulation. It’s reduced from £398 to £119 in the John Lewis sale. A true bargain.

They size large, and I bought a small (5’9”, 12 stone) and it fits me perfectly. S and XS left as I type.

https://www.johnlewis.com/j-crew-nor...-coat/p3849861

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Poly-cotton military style smock jacket, windproof, lots of pockets, cheap. When it rains, a UK army MVP jacket (goretex shell) over whatever you need underneath. 50 euros new in plastic for a basic GoreTex jacket is dirt cheap. I got the desert camo version as it has a folding hood - also looks less like being a hunter. Stiff 3-layer Goretex but it'll keep you dry.
    Otherwise, if you have money to burn or a Rolex to sell to finance it, Fjällräven.

Quote Originally Posted by Fschwep View Post
    Poly-cotton military style smock jacket, windproof, lots of pockets, cheap. When it rains, a UK army MVP jacket (goretex shell) over whatever you need underneath. 50 euros new in plastic for a basic GoreTex jacket is dirt cheap. I got the desert camo version as it has a folding hood - also looks less like being a hunter. Stiff 3-layer Goretex but it'll keep you dry.
    Otherwise, if you have money to burn or a Rolex to sell to finance it, Fjällräven.
    Do you have a link for the UK shell please? Edit, looks a bit militaristic in the camo!
    Last edited by mindforge; 8th July 2019 at 07:17.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    Do you have a link for the UK shell please? Edit, looks a bit militaristic in the camo!

https://www.varusteleka.com/en/produ...m-surplus/4126

If anyone's looking at this thread with intent to buy a parka type coat, and having bought one to take over from my trusty RAB, then take a look at the Fjallraven Yupik.
    F.T.F.A.

Master
    I looked at Canada Goose, found it to be overpriced tat. Also having a slaughtered coyote fur collar didn't sit well with me.

Ended up with one of these for a 10th. of the price. So warm, all last winter (I'll admit it was mild) I wore nothing but a T-Shirt underneath, especially when walking around 7 miles to my father's house and back

https://www.trespass.com/highland-mens-dlx-parka-jacket

Journeyman
    Canada Goose overpriced tat? Even a cursory look and it’s clear it’s top kit. Parajumpers and Bogner are amazing quality but they’re pretty expensive too.

I wear a Schöffel Ptarmigan, not technically a parka but a very useful piece. Keep an eye on Zalando Lounge for an offer on Schöffel and Bogner. I got mine pretty cheap from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ellgal View Post
    Canada Goose overpriced tat? Even a cursory look and it’s clear it’s top kit. Parajumpers and Bogner are amazing quality but they’re pretty expensive too.

I wear a Schöffel Ptarmigan, not technically a parka but a very useful piece. Keep an eye on Zalando Lounge for an offer on Schöffel and Bogner. I got mine pretty cheap from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I agree CG aren’t tat but the quality isn’t what they were when I got mine 10 years ago I guess due to increasing production and new owners. Price doubled too so value isn’t great any more either. Also worn by those with interesting dress sense in London at least!

Good suggestion for Zalando Lounge, I have seen Woolrich on there once or twice too

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ellgal View Post
    Canada Goose overpriced tat?
    Yes.
    https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/canada-goose.com

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    I guess you found a link... I got mine from Varusteleka in Finland. The jacket link is here: https://www.varusteleka.com/en/produ...-surplus/25059
    Supposedly, British military surplus stores should have it as well.
    I did not get it for good looks. It is after all a military jacket. It's also very simple, not even close to the likes of Fjallraven. It's stiff, has few pockets, no soft lining or stretch material for comfort. I don't like wearing Goretex jackets all the time, I prefer a poly-cotton windbreaker for most conditions, including light rain. Like the FJ Greenland, which again is quite expensive for what it is. The MVP camo is just a shell to throw over the windbreaker (or whatever) in pouring rain. At that point, I don't care how it looks, just that it keeps me dry and doesn't break the bank.
    The desert version has two advantages over the regular old-style dark green/brown woodland camo model: it has actual chest pockets - the woodland camo model does not have those - and the tan colour does not scream 'hunter', although more 'soldier back from the desert'. There is a more recent allround camo MVP jacket as well, supposedly a bit more comfortable/supple, but that one strangely enough does not come with a hood.

Quote Originally Posted by Fschwep View Post
    I guess you found a link... I got mine from Varusteleka in Finland. The jacket link is here: https://www.varusteleka.com/en/produ...-surplus/25059
    Supposedly, British military surplus stores should have it as well.
    I did not get it for good looks. It is after all a military jacket. It's also very simple, not even close to the likes of Fjallraven. It's stiff, has few pockets, no soft lining or stretch material for comfort. I don't like wearing Goretex jackets all the time, I prefer a poly-cotton windbreaker for most conditions, including light rain. Like the FJ Greenland, which again is quite expensive for what it is. The MVP camo is just a shell to throw over the windbreaker (or whatever) in pouring rain. At that point, I don't care how it looks, just that it keeps me dry and doesn't break the bank.
    The desert version has two advantages over the regular old-style dark green/brown woodland camo model: it has actual chest pockets - the woodland camo model does not have those - and the tan colour does not scream 'hunter', although more 'soldier back from the desert'. There is a more recent allround camo MVP jacket as well, supposedly a bit more comfortable/supple, but that one strangely enough does not come with a hood.
    Thanks, good link! The dark blue one looks good although strangely says may or may not come with a hood..