closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Modern 38mm Blancpain Fifty Fathoms

Modern 38mm Blancpain Fifty Fathoms

I popped in to the Blancpain boutique in MBS Singapore to order a new strap for my Bathyscape.

I spotted a 38mm Fifty Fathoms in the window, it was something I hadn't seen before. Limited to only 30 watches world wide in collaboration with Revolution watch magazine:

https://www.revolution.watch/baselwo...ecial-edition/

BP have managed to shoehorn the beautiful 5 day movement from the Fifty Fathoms into this smaller case.

Why don't manufacturers produce sensible vintage case sized models more regularly, for us more discerning customers? I hope BP make this a regular model.

I mean a 40mm Fifty Fathoms with the stunning sapphire bezel and 5 day movement would sell like hot-cakes (and yes I know there was an LE awhile back with those specs).

RRP was around S$18,500 or 10k sterling.

Blog Entries
    I think you should have grabbed it with both hands!! Martyn.

Master

Modern 38mm Blancpain Fifty Fathoms

I couldn't agree more. I'm aware that smaller sizes are a minority pursuit, but it may be a significant monitory. I wouldn't be surprised if about a third of customers would like a smaller option of many watches. Of course, if they can only economically make one, they have to aim for the median size, but current taste is also a factor and they will probably aim for a generously sized take on that, leaving many potential customers out in the cold. It's probably easier to make a large model that looks good in pictures too, it just may not look good on the wrist.

As for the fifty fathoms, I like them but had always assumed they were out of the question, I agree that a 40mm version would do well. In the current climate you'd think all the manufacturers would be looking for new markets. Well there's a huge one that was here all along, just waiting for them to notice.

Master
    Wow!! really like this one! Damn 2017 i have so many watches I like already !! How come they dont make more watches like these!!!

Master
    Blog Entries
    You should have handed over the credit card and bought it on the spot. I suspect there are many here who would have taken it off your hands - looks fabulous.

Craftsman
    I actually wrote to BP customer services about producing a smaller FF. No reply. I would have snapped this up subject to funds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't say the Bathyscaphe does much for me.

I know owners say it's marvellous, but to my eyes it's just a bit dull and I don't really see why they call it a Fifty Fathoms (except to hang onto the coat-tails of the traditional style).

Used (and even new) prices seem to suggest it's not that well received generally.

M

Wow. I like that a lot. Being a vintage guy, I actually like the 38mm size.

Looks a bit like mine

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Looks a bit like mine

Darng that is super cool!!!!

Apprentice
    I don't think it's the newer 5 day movement. It's the older FP 3 day movement used in the women's 38mm white Fifty Fathoms:
    http://www.blancpain.com/en/watch/5100-1127-w52a. I think it is also used in some of the Villert dress watches.

Master
    Well that's was quick! Here's the new, not limited edition, 38mm 50 fathoms bathyscaphe:

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/bl...mm-introducing

It will be interesting to see how it wears. I'm a fan of 38mm as a size, though I reckon 40mm would have worked even on a smaller wrist since it has a diving bezel. Makes a hell of a lot more sense than 43mm anyway for those with a slimmer wrist. Looking forward to trying it.

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    Well that's was quick! Here's the new, not limited edition, 38mm 50 fathoms bathyscaphe:

It will be interesting to see how it wears. I'm a fan of 38mm as a size, though I reckon 40mm would have worked even on a smaller wrist since it has a diving bezel. Makes a hell of a lot more sense than 43mm anyway for those with a slimmer wrist. Looking forward to trying it.
    I love it!

I've been considering a 39mm Planet Ocean but the thickness puts me off a bit. This one is much more svelte at 10.77mm. I agree that 39-40mm might have been the perfect size though. My CWC royal navy diver wears great at 40mm.

Beautiful, but what a shame it isn't 40mm!

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    I can't say the Bathyscaphe does much for me.

I know owners say it's marvellous, but to my eyes it's just a bit dull and I don't really see why they call it a Fifty Fathoms (except to hang onto the coat-tails of the traditional style).

Used (and even new) prices seem to suggest it's not that well received generally.

M
    +1.....for me it just doesn't have the same visual or engineering appeal as the FF.

Looks a bit like mine

Stunning watch mate.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Master

Will be really keen to see the price - the ladies version can be had for about £5.5k so if this is the same price that's pretty interesting to me.

Big thumbs up to the manufacturer for producing a sensible case diameter that is also slim :-)

That is fantastic, def. prefer the regular version. I feel the "normal" 45mm version would look perfect with just 3mm less.

Fantastic news, seems BP were listening. I am not against bigger watches, I have the 43mm Bathyscape, but I love the option of picking up a more 'vintage' size. Only IWC seemed to offer that in the past.

Looks a bit like mine

Ooh I like that 😋

Craftsman
    Wonder what pricing will be on these beauties?

wow that's stunning! better looking than the revolution special edition in my opinion.
    The only fly in the ointment is the size of the circular markers - if only they were a little larger...

Master
    Blog Entries
    Still the revolution for me. I have a hate for date windows placed between the 4 and 5 hour markers

Bathyscape's dial looks much more balanced on these 38 mm version. 100h of power reserve, and rather slim at 10.77mm, what's not to like ? The price likely.

Master
    What was the price for the Revolution special edition?

Quote Originally Posted by china View Post
    What was the price for the Revolution special edition?
    RRP was around S$18,500 or 10k sterling.

If avalaible on a bracelet, that's a great alternative to a Submariner/SD.

The 38mm should 'wear large' though with big dial / thin bezel.

Craftsman
    Really hoping to get some pricing information on this soon. My hulk fund is not 1,000,000 miles away from the final target, but this beautiful 38 mm 50 fathoms looks like a real possible alternative.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post
    If avalaible on a bracelet, that's a great alternative to a Submariner/SD.

The 38mm should 'wear large' though with big dial / thin bezel.
    The Blancpain bracelet options are, a little pricey, to say the least
    Last edited by Scepticalist; 17th February 2017 at 16:45.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jeepie View Post
    Really hoping to get some pricing information on this soon. My hulk fund is not 1,000,000 miles away from the final target, but this beautiful 38 mm 50 fathoms looks like a real possible alternative.

Technical specifications – Blancpain Fifty Fathoms Bathyscaphe 38mm

Case: 38 mm diameter x 10.77 mm height – steel case, unidirectional rotating bezel with ceramic insert and liquid metal hour markers – sapphire crystal on the front and on the back – unidirectional rotating bezel – water resistant to 300m
    Movement: Calibre 1150 – automatic winding – 100h power – 21.600 vibrations/h – 28 jewels – hours, minutes, seconds and date
    Strap: canvas strap
    Reference: 5100-1140-O52A
    Retail price : 8,900 CHF

I couldn't agree more. I'm aware that smaller sizes are a minority pursuit, but it may be a significant monitory. I wouldn't be surprised if about a third of customers would like a smaller option of many watches. Of course, if they can only economically make one, they have to aim for the median size, but current taste is also a factor and they will probably aim for a generously sized take on that, leaving many potential customers out in the cold. It's probably easier to make a large model that looks good in pictures too, it just may not look good on the wrist.

As for the fifty fathoms, I like them but had always assumed they were out of the question, I agree that a 40mm version would do well. In the current climate you'd think all the manufacturers would be looking for new markets. Well there's a huge one that was here all along, just waiting for them to notice.
    Totally agree. I'd pick up the 45mm FF in a heartbeat if I had bigger wrists.