closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Speeding education classes

Speeding education classes

Please can people give me their opinions about the speeding classes? I have just been caught out and apparently been offered the above? Are they worth it?

I am contemplating taking the points and fine. A day at something like this will probably be too much for me to bare!

How much are the insurance implications generally speaking for 3 points 50 in a 40?

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I went on one just before Christmas and wasn't as bad as I'd thought it would be. Obviously depends on the trainer(s) and the group but there was quite a lot of banter and a good few laughs as well as being quite informative.

Was only a half day and the cost same as the fine. Don't think insurance implications are great for 3 points but the danger is if another 3 are picked up.

Master
    Blog Entries
    My brother went to one recently. I don't think they appreciated it when he told them he normally drove like a nun

I did it just to avoid the points.

However I found it interesting and because everyone there was on the same naughty step, meant we had a good laugh (despite our instructor being a bit dull to be honest).

Plus I did actually learn some new stuff (despite having passed my test in 1977)

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

They're tedious, but its only a few hours...

Do the class. It's pretty dull, and all of the info should really already be known by anyone with a driving licence, but I'd say it's still way better than the points.

The worst thing was purely boredom as I found that trying to engage in the class, at least with the instructors I had, was unwelcome as they rigidly stuck to the script and were more keen to get out of there than any of us. One of them in particular kept watching the clock as he was going on holiday the following day. So, while I was fairly enthusiastic going in, I could hardly keep my eyes open towards the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    I did it just to avoid the points.

However I found it interesting and because everyone there was on the same naughty step, meant we had a good laugh (despite our instructor being a bit dull to be honest).

Plus I did actually learn some new stuff (despite having passed my test in 1977)
    This, it's not so much these points it's the next 3 and so on, it's a small price to pay to keep the points off the licence, and, as Andy said, you will probably get something positive out of the day, I know I did. Also, as said it's only half a day.

I'd also say do the class, 4 hours of boredom is better than 3 points on your licence

I thought the instructors would be sanctimonious and patronising but they were actually OK.

Do the course.... you might learn something from it, seriously. It's not done by the Police but by the I of AM.

I was expecting it to be worse than the picture you guys are painting. So thank you. I'm not sure I can handle being patronised but if it won't be like that I will grin and bare it! Lol at the nun comment, I might make a similar one myself see how it goes down?!

I saw the van on the duel carriage way and I was so relaxed as I honestly thought it was a 50. Just past the van was the 40 sign and the feeling was just priceless.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    Do the course.... you might learn something from it, seriously. It's not done by the Police but by the I of AM.
    Ah interesting. I didn't realise that.

Mine wasn't. Depends on area.

Police were running my course as well

Neither the police nor I of AM were running mine.

Craftsman
    I got done for 80 on the motorway.

But up here in Scotland, so no option to do the course, but thats a discussion for another day.

3 points & £100

Did not after my insurance at all.

^^ Should have been faster in a 964! ;)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 964boy View Post
    I got done for 80 on the motorway.
    I'm surprised by that, though I don't doubt it. I see MANY vehicles doing 80 and over on the motorway during my daily (relatively long) commute.

I thought the mway speed 'tolerance' was a little, if not much, higher?

Sent from my SM-G900F using TZ-UK mobile app

I have done <ahem> two of these...
    37 in a 30 and 48 in a 40 (which used to be a 50, but my fault because I knew it had changed) - both times in a rush due to family issues but fair cop, I'm not complaining.
    They were four years apart, you can't repeat the course inside three years, you have to take the points.
    They're not that bad, half a day with some interesting bits and a bit of banter.
    Mine were not done by the police, I think they were driving instructors.

They reiterate that the threshold for getting nicked is 10% plus 3mph, so getting done for 80mph on the motorway is absolutely possible...

I've been told directly by a Policeman that as long as conditions are OK they ignore people doing 85 or less on the Motorway, I have often done 80mph past a Police car doing 70mph and they really don't care.

Craftsman
    I know people who have done the course and found it useful. I got caught speeding 47 in a 40 whilst on holiday in Dorset; annoyingly they are one of the few police forces in the country who don't allow you to change the location of the course, so in effect I was forced to take the points on my licence (unless I was willing to drive from Sheffield to Dorset to do the course).

Quote Originally Posted by sammyl1000 View Post
    I am contemplating taking the points and fine. A day at something like this will probably be too much for me to bare!
    We had a guy with that attitude on ours, it wasn't worth his time attending as he made clear to everyone there, repeatedly.

I think we all agreed he was a bit of an arse (unsurprisingly he was a sales rep...)

If you go in thinking it's a waste of your time, you'll probably learn nothing. I was happy to do the course and found it quite illuminating - I never consciously speed in built up areas anymore. Not sure I learnt anything I hadn't before, but it had been a while since I'd thought about braking distances and physics!

I found it really useful and was home by lunchtime.

If you're like my sales rep 'friend' you'll be better off accepting the points.

M.

PS I did mine in Basingstoke (A few years back) and it was run by the AA I think - Just noticed the OP's location, so it might be relevant.
    Last edited by snowman; 20th January 2017 at 15:46.

Banned
    I wouldn't mind doing one of these courses, what the criteria for getting one.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    I'd also say do the class, 4 hours of boredom is better than 3 points on your licence
    This
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

I went on one and it was thoroughly worthwhile - in fact I'd willingly pay to send my staff and/or kids on it.

Plus I got to laugh at a bloke who got caught on two separate speed cameras in the space of fifteen minutes while test driving a Porsche.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Fords View Post
    I wouldn't mind doing one of these courses, what the criteria for getting one.
    Just drive through a speed trap at about 10mph over the speed limit and you'll get your very own invitation to the course.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    Just drive through a speed trap at about 10mph over the speed limit and you'll get your very own invitation to the course.

I've heard that if you get over 12 points you get a push bike.

Master
    I've got the full set, 70mph course, 30mph course, 20mph course and the traffic light course.
    I am not a dangerous driver at all, I have 33 yrs driving experience and drive roughly 30K miles
    a year. But with modern cars and the speed of life nowadays I would say the % of drivers without any speed school experience is falling year upon year!
    I thought all the instructors were certainly not condescending in any way, after all their just doing
    a job no more than driving instructors and the bottom line is 'I did the crime'
    Every course had very positive merits and were helpful in gaining knowledge of how dangerous speed is not only to other drivers but especially pedestrians or motorway workers.
    On my 70mph course they showed a film where a white board was placed parallel with the central reservation for a day and the result was a spattering of stones that came from car tyres at high speed and some imbedded very deeply which could be someone's skin! And the majority of them at waist to head height! And then the same test with a 50mph speed restriction and the result was astonishing to say the least! Less than 20% of stone damage none imbedded in the white board and all significantly lower in height thus less risk to humans than the higher speed test.
    Hence the 'average 50mph speed' cameras because no one can say they haven't drastically reduced speeding thru work areas on the motorway.
    I personally would like to see parts of these schools introduced in the practical test, it really does make you think about your actions in the long run.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I've done a couple. I found them quite interesting. Although, clearly the first one didn't do the trick!

Covered above mainly, it depends:

What you know
    Who delivers it

Mine in 2013 was utter crap. But I'm a car nut and know road traffic laws pretty well - most who attended didn't even know basic car limits, let alone LGV etc. The lecturer was dull and judgemental. With no points, I'll take the points and fine (same cost) next time.

However......others I know have attended on those run by (e.g.) the Police and found it far more interesting and engaging.

Tough call as you won't know till you get there. Unless you're young the first 3 points makes miniscule different to insurances and the Admiral group loads for attendance on the SAC anyway!

Craftsman
    I was assuming it would be like Being at school but the chaos running it where funny and informative, I actually quite enjoyed it in a weird way

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Grand Master
    Frankly, judging by your comments I suspect you've got a poor attitude towards this.

You were speeding, you were in the wrong. Try to keep an open mind and use the session for education. Don`t expect any favours, accept you're at fault, and try to take something constructive away from the session. If you go in with a chip on your shoulder you can be kicked off the course for showing a poor attitude....I`ve known it happen.

If you don`t think you're able to do this just pay the fine, accept the points, wear them like a badge of honour.

Sorry to be so harsh, but you've hung your chin out somewhat by asking the question and suggesting taking the fine might be preferable.

Paul

Master
    Actually, the courses are run by AA Drivetech, a limited company. Some are run by TTC. Not sure about the IAM - didn't know they ran any.

It's a decent business. Drivetech turned over £41.8million in '13- '14 with £5.5m in dividends to the directors. Think they did about £40m in the last FY with assets of £14m. Edmund King, the AA President, is a director.

http://www.drivetech.co.uk/driver-aw...ss-course.html

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Frankly, judging by your comments I suspect you've got a poor attitude towards this.

You were speeding, you were in the wrong. Try to keep an open mind and use the session for education. Don`t expect any favours, accept you're at fault, and try to take something constructive away from the session. If you go in with a chip on your shoulder you can be kicked off the course for showing a poor attitude....I`ve known it happen.

If you don`t think you're able to do this just pay the fine, accept the points, wear them like a badge of honour.

Sorry to be so harsh, but you've hung your chin out somewhat by asking the question and suggesting taking the fine might be preferable.

Paul
    I know where you are coming from. No I definitely accept it. It was a genuine mistake however it still happened and I was in control of the car no problems. I know I will hate it. However with the mileage I do I suppose I should take the course.
    The proliferation of cameras make it very difficult and mistakes do happen. I can have a laugh but it depends on the instructors as long as they are ok.

Craftsman
    They're not that bad, make sure you're photo license is up to date ( need renewing every 10 yr ) apart from that its 4 hrs out of your life but no points.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not the end of the world - caught red handed etc.

Personally I would rather do the course if it ever happened to me..
    Last edited by Chris_in_the_UK; 20th January 2017 at 22:31.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Grand Master
    I learned my lesson the hard way a few years ago and I`m now a reformed character. Speed limits and speed cameras are part and parcel of todays motoring, I get frustrated by the inconsistency of how speed limits are enforced, but I`ve long since learned to accept.

What I don`t understand about the courses is why they aren`t compulsory for those who are way over the limit, together with the fine and points. I got caught speeding on a motorway, got 5 points and a hefty fine, and was lucky not to be catching the bus for 3 months. It taught me a lesson because I was forced to think about things; some would find it hard to do that and that's where the course would help.

Car doing 90 has 65% more kinetic energy than a car doing 70. That energy has to go somewhere in an accident.

Paul

Master
    I can't think of any that are run by the police now, police officers are far better deployed doing actual policing is the thinking I suppose.

AA Drive Tech do the bulk of them, although I think there is another company doing them as well whose name I forget now.

I found mine quite informative. The presenters were genuinely knowledgeable as well as avoiding being patronising, and responded well to intelligent questions so it made it more interesting. There were a couple of mouthy and argumentative people too though, who did nothing but remove any chance of the course finishing early!

[QUOTE=walkerwek1958;4218524
    What I don`t understand about the courses is why they aren`t compulsory for those who are way over the limit, together with the fine and points. I got caught speeding on a motorway, got 5 points and a hefty fine, and was lucky not to be catching the bus for 3 months. It taught me a lesson because I was forced to think about things; some would find it hard to do that and that's where the course would help.

Car doing 90 has 65% more kinetic energy than a car doing 70. That energy has to go somewhere in an accident.

Paul[/QUOTE]

They will only offer these courses to people generally just over the speed limit ..maybe between 5 to 10 mph and who will more than likely learn from their mistake. You will not see any boy racers, chavs and the like on them as they are not the people they think would benefit. That is my understanding after speaking to an I.AM.
    Up where I am I haven't seen the Police do these courses and in anycase they should be out on other duties!

On a different, but related note.

If you have never done any advanced driver training it is well worth it. Not about driving slowly or being ultra careful - very informative about reading the road and making progress.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Craftsman
    Do you get to choose when you do the course or are you told? I wonder if they do them at weekends to avoid taking a days leave from work.

Master
    It is not the first three points, but the next three and the ones after that. 3 years is a long time to avoid another fine and as you said mistakes happen and you do a lot of miles. Take the course and save the points

Master
    I did one back in 2012, was a long 4 hours, avoided the 3 points but still have had to tell my insurer since as they asked and loaded the policy accordingly.

I got clocked doing 42 in a 30 or something in that region, had just exited a built up area and got caught just as it went from a 30 to a 50, basically sped up too early. Lesson learned, now I just get tailgated everywhere instead as I stick close to the limit. Shame there is no enforcement / courses for that.

Quote Originally Posted by smithdj10 View Post
    Do you get to choose when you do the course or are you told? I wonder if they do them at weekends to avoid taking a days leave from work.
    In my area you choose but w/e not an option.

Quote Originally Posted by Davis View Post
    I did one back in 2012, was a long 4 hours, avoided the 3 points but still have had to tell my insurer since as they asked and loaded the policy accordingly.
    Think you are unlucky, they don't normally ask.

Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    AA Drive Tech do the bulk of them, although I think there is another company doing them as well whose name I forget now.
    Many other companies do them including TTC Group, Essex County Council etc.

I did one of these courses just before Christmas and it was actually quite informative, I'd definitely recommend taking the course over the points.

According to my course instructors you'll get offered the option of the course as long as you're no more than 10% + 9 mph over the limit. ie. up to 42 in a 30, 53 in a 40, 86 in a 70 etc.

They also said that insurance companies will now increase premiums if you have any points on your licence (in the good old days the first 3 were 'overlooked') and apparently the Admiral/Elephant group are now asking if you've had an awareness course and bumping up premiums if so.... thin end of the wedge no doubt.

Rich.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    In my area you choose but w/e not an option.

Think you are unlucky, they don't normally ask.

Many other companies do them including TTC Group, Essex County Council etc.
    It was probably just the two up here in Lincs when I chose mine. I was clocked in South Wales, so quite relieved to have the option of somewhere local.

I always mention my course to insurers, although it was a few years ago now, one insurer actually said it lowers the premium slightly as you've had some more driver training. Not sure I believed them to be honest!

Its a interesting point about the insurance company disclosure, we discussed it at the awareness course I was on, they said ( as above ) its only Admiral at the moment that ask, and you should of course be truthful in your answers, but they also said that the identity of the attendees on the courses is strictly confidential and that an insurance company can't find out if you have been on a course.

Like others I did it to avoid the points. Mine was actually informative and dare I say it, good fun. A couple of very dry humoured ex policemen running things and a group that seemed keen to enjoy themselves. Completely the opposite of what I expected. It also definitely has slowed me down.

Did one a year ago (77 in a 70) after 20+ years of driving and found it both educational and interesting... one or two older gentlemen had completely the wrong attitudes and probably should have been kicked out.

Agree with the poster that says the OP sounds to have completely the wrong attitude on this.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sammyl1000 View Post
    The proliferation of cameras make it very difficult and mistakes do happen. I can have a laugh but it depends on the instructors as long as they are ok.

There can be a million cameras, chocolate fireguard until the law is broken

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    This, it's not so much these points it's the next 3 and so on, it's a small price to pay to keep the points off the licence, and, as Andy said, you will probably get something positive out of the day, I know I did. Also, as said it's only half a day.
    What was the "positive" ?

Al