closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Could watches lead to my divorce!

Journeyman

Could watches lead to my divorce!

Always liked watches and now my partner has kind of given me the go ahead to "treat" myself but without specification of and spending limits.

Admittedly she is awesome and doesn't expect me to be stupid but if I added up all the watches I want. And I do mean want rather than like there would certainly be more than a few raised eyebrows. The list isn't exhaustive and I don't think I am going mad but I really like divers so will end up with the usual suspects. Omega PO, SM300, Rolex Sub/Sea Dweller. But straight away there goes £10k! On a hobby! Thats before I even look at the forum and start thinking Rolex GMT Pepsi or the gorgeous Heuer Autavia GMT (want one).

You can only wear one watch at a time and I will only occasionally wear anything more than my Seiko beater.

Is this normal or is it just like bikes where the correct number of bikes is either N+1 or "number of bikes leading to divorce minus 1".

I think there are worse things you can do to make your wife divorce you. You know drink, drugs, strip bars the usual fun. I wouldn't worry too much :-)

I think you are asking in the wrong place. You won't get a balanced view/answer here.

At least with a watch you'll have something to show for the spending - if you are lucky it may even tell the right time!
    It's just a matter of time...

Good news - there's at least one divorce lawyer on here.

I can give you an amateur answer though - yes.

There are lots on here who've spent more than they care to admit to themselves let alone their partners. But at least the capital value of any watches you buy is unlikely to diminish to zero - you'll still have assets unlike those who blow it all in the bookies.

I got "the go ahead" to buy my first watch off her indoors.

She was happy for me to treat myself as she felt I deserved it with work etc.

Anyhow, with a watch you become very aware on what other people wear. You're always on the look out.

You then start to read forums, then you join.

And before you know it I was on my second. When she found out she went mental.

Now its easy as I'm buying and selling all the time and she's got no clue what so ever as I tell her I got that because I sold this. :)

Master
    Blog Entries
    I recently, perhaps unwisely, asked Mrs T-7 to guess the current value of my watch collection. Her estimate was more than 5 times the actual value :-0

I took that as a green light to buy some more watches.

Treat probably extends to one watch only.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Kippax View Post
    I got "the go ahead" to buy my first watch off her indoors.

She was happy for me to treat myself as she felt I deserved it with work etc.

Anyhow, with a watch you become very aware on what other people wear. You're always on the look out.

You then start to read forums, then you join.

And before you know it I was on my second. When she found out she went mental.

Now its easy as I'm buying and selling all the time and she's got no clue what so ever as I tell her I got that because I sold this. :)
    Well similar to me, it is because I work far too much bu I am self employed and she says I deserve it.

Referring to the bike analogy again. I have a friend that buys a new bike every year. Always a red bike. His wife only knows he has a bike and it's red, she thinks he has had the same one for years.

If I stick with divers she probably won't even notice!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    I recently, perhaps unwisely, asked Mrs T-7 to guess the current value of my watch collection. Her estimate was more than 5 times the actual value :-0

A wise assumption :-D

I think the critical thing is, yes you've spent £10k on a hobby but if it's spent well then a significant part of that money is safe forever. That's not true of many hobbies where the money spent can never be recouped.

It's that kind of savvy thinking that makes you undivorcable. ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My partner thinks this hobby is utter daft, which is true really considering one watch is all you "need". A recent promise of one-in one-out never worked either. Good luck !

What a smart move!

Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    My partner thinks this hobby is utter daft, which is true really considering one watch is all you "need". A recent promise of one-in one-out never worked either. Good luck !
    Whoever said one watch is all you ever needed did not know what they were talking about and probably only said it because his wife wouldn't let him buy another one

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

Haha, wait until you have to service a few a year, then see what her reaction is!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    I think you are asking in the wrong place. You won't get a balanced view/answer here.
    Yep. I bet you'd get a completely different answer if you asked this on mumsnet!

Master
    The golden rule; suggest that you manage to make a profit from the hobby. Mind you, I don't know if my partner believes me, or just pretends to.l

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post
    Yep. I bet you'd get a completely different answer if you asked this on mumsnet!

I have seen the kind of things discussed on mumsnet! Took me more time to decipher the acronyms!! That site has some truly classic posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Mystery Scott View Post
    Haha, wait until you have to service a few a year, then see what her reaction is!
    Hmm yeah I hadn't factored that in yet! BUT by my estimation it would be approximately 1 a year so not too bad and some of my watches are relatively (or will be) moderately priced, they won't all need £500+ services! i hope!

My experience was just the opposite: My wife had been pissy with me for many years about my large watch collection, even though I told her I usually made money on the sales. One day she guessed its value at $10,000. When I told her it was worth $25,000 she shut up!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pingu View Post
    Well similar to me, it is because I work far too much bu I am self employed and she says I deserve it.

Referring to the bike analogy again. I have a friend that buys a new bike every year. Always a red bike. His wife only knows he has a bike and it's red, she thinks he has had the same one for years.

I've got to ask. Where does he keep all those bikes that she's never seen them? It's not like you can hide them at the back of a drawer or something.

Quote Originally Posted by ataripower View Post
    I think there are worse things you can do to make your wife divorce you. You know drink, drugs, strip bars the usual fun. I wouldn't worry too much :-)
    Personally I agree to that!

Perhaps you should concentrate on watches which look very similar i.e. Rolex subs or Omega Speedmasters :-)

It's a funny one for me, the cost of these things and the other half. My Mrs is pretty tolerant even though she doesn't understand the appeal.

The thing is though more and more, I realise how silly prices are and how little real world value I'm getting for my money, particularly since kids have entered the equation. A big part of it is the difference between daily small spending and splurging a lump sum.

I rationalise it by telling myself that I work hard, sacrifice small incidental spending on a weekly/monthly basis to save. But then I end up in the situation I'm in now where I'm considering another watch and although it's being paid for purely with my own disposable 'pocket' money; money which otherwise may have been frittered away on beer, restaurants, unnecessary clothes, gadgets etc. it seems like an irresponsible act to spend £5-6k on a pointless piece of jewellery when that could be money paid off the mortgage, put in a college fund, used to buy a family holiday or something seemingly less selfish. Yet nobody would complain that buying a few beers every weekend was stealing from my kid's education.

Quote Originally Posted by asteclaru View Post
    I've got to ask. Where does he keep all those bikes that she's never seen them? It's not like you can hide them at the back of a drawer or something.
    Perhaps this was tongue in cheek but I suspect the bike was traded for a new red bike each time

I have a friend that buys a new bike every year. Always a red bike. His wife only knows he has a bike and it's red, she thinks he has had the same one for years.

Good idea.

14060 -> 5513 -> red 1680 -> Milsub

Master
    In response to the subject line - they're part-funding mine :|

Some great posts, one about the bike made me laugh although don't think my missus would fall for that!

How long do you leave it after buying one watch until you think it's safe to talk about the next one you would like. I have slipped up by going to early and received that steely stare of doom that makes me go... gulp...

Same with golf clubs, my ex never had a clue...watches was a bit trickier :)

Stick at it OP... in my case, my wife has got so bored with my obsession that she no longer asks/cares! Mind you... if I were to start wearing some new arrivals with obvious big ££ names on them.. that might change!

Perhaps the old switcheroo trick?... Buy a Parnis, bleat on about how the Chinese are cloning everything these days for a tenner... then stealth swop it for the real deal!

Anyone got a Rilex Explorer II for sale?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Croftrock View Post
    I think the critical thing is, yes you've spent £10k on a hobby but if it's spent well then a significant part of that money is safe forever. That's not true of many hobbies where the money spent can never be recouped.

It's that kind of savvy thinking that makes you undivorcable. ;)

My better half is obsessed with the annual family holiday abroad. £5k gone in 10 days trying to get a tan which disappears a few days after I'm back. Nothing to show but a load of crap pictures on an iphone. In her mind this spend makes perfect sense (yes, yes, i know it's lovely for the kids etc.).

I wonder what will happen when I suggest we invest this years holiday fund in a new watch for me? Much better use of hard earned surely 🤔

Quote Originally Posted by MrMater View Post
    I wonder what will happen when I suggest we invest this years holiday fund in a new watch for me? Much better use of hard earned surely 樂
    Nice knowing you! lol.. I predict the dog house and/or black eye.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyE View Post
    Nice knowing you! lol.. I predict the dog house and/or black eye.
    Are there many opportunities for 48 year old male sopranos out there?

Master
    Some great posts here.
    My wife is very tolerant, it helps that:
    1. She 'gets' at a basic level the attraction of watches
    2. I keep the watch money separate from all our other finances, so we can still go on holiday or do up the house.
    3. I have never had more than eight in the collection (mainly Rolex with the odd Tudor or Omega). Though she has rolled her eyes at my flipping disease.

But like Uriel I occasionally wonder whether it isn't selfish of me to tie up thousands in a watch. Five months ago I got a 2003 Daytona, the most expensive watch I've ever owned, since when the guilt pangs have hit more regularly.

Last week I decided to put the 20-odd watches I've owned over the last six years onto a spreadsheet. It was sobering to see the sum of the paid-for column.

Do let us all know how mumsnet responds, though I suspect the best guidance you'll get is from your own instinct as to where the levels of tolerance will lie in your household.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Montybaber View Post
    Perhaps this was tongue in cheek but I suspect the bike was traded for a new red bike each time
    Correct one in one out, and a decent bike will cost you the fat end of a Rolex.

Quote Originally Posted by NickRed71 View Post

Do let us all know how mumsnet responds, though I suspect the best guidance you'll get is from your own instinct as to where the levels of tolerance will lie in your household.
    Maybe we should post there and see how that thread goes just for a balanced opinion? Although generally the posts I hve read there are not from people with any semblence of balance!
    Last edited by pingu; 19th January 2017 at 13:26.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by T1ckT0ck View Post
    How long do you leave it after buying one watch until you think it's safe to talk about the next one you would like. I have slipped up by going to early and received that steely stare of doom that makes me go... gulp...
    Why do you need to talk about it? Just buy it and see how long it takes her to notice. Better to ask for forgiveness than permission

And when she finally does notice, you can just go : 'Oh this? I've had this for ages!'

My wife has given up as she knows she lost the fight, or she can't be arsed to interrogate me ;-) It's become a bit of a running joke in our house and with the extended family.

Daughter : "Mum...Dad's upstairs again playing with his watches....."

Wife : "How many times do you need to change a bloody watch strap ?"

They just don't get it !

Still as others have said, you could be doing far worse things with your cash.

Master

Could watches lead to my divorce!

A great thread....and, with the talk of bikes, reminded me of a friend (not me....really!).

His wife knew he owned 2, but he had bought another brand new specimen and stowed it at another friend's place until he detected a moment of wifely weakness. That moment took over 3 years to arrive..

She admitted to having stopped using contraception (clearly without telling him) and thus was expecting their third child. He was hopping mad, but not enough so to miss the opportunity.

He then admitted to spending £12k on his 'new' bike and announced he was going to buy an additional one (at another £10k). Such opportunities should never be wasted.

I bought my first 'expensive' (and to date, MOST expensive) watch with permission from my wife (as the funds came from the excess from my endowment policy on my mortgage and hers had gone into paying the mortgage, so it seemed fair to ask...)

I've spent a hell of a lot since then and rarely bothered mentioning it to her (and she's only noticed a new arrival once)...

She doesn't understand why I need 30+ watches, but we've paid the mortgage, go on holiday a few times a year and clear the CC bill each month, so, so far, it's no more than raised eyebrows...

I've not bought a different car in 10 years, though, so I guess my watch spending hasn't cost me any more than that would have!

M.

Master
    The obvious comment, if my wife sells my watches for what I told her what they cost versus what they are worth would mean that someone, somewhere would get some bargains !

That stated, it was her idea to pay the kids university fees, so far £154k from a quick calculation.

So she has, in effect, spent the price of 10 ceramic Daytonas on the kids which I did not grumble (too much) about so the few pennies that I now spend on watches is insignificant.

She may/may not accept this argument I might add.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMater View Post
    My better half is obsessed with the annual family holiday abroad. £5k gone in 10 days trying to get a tan which disappears a few days after I'm back. Nothing to show but a load of crap pictures on an iphone. In her mind this spend makes perfect sense (yes, yes, i know it's lovely for the kids etc.).

I wonder what will happen when I suggest we invest this years holiday fund in a new watch for me? Much better use of hard earned surely
    Ha! Good luck with that. See you in A and E. ;)

My late father hated holidays for a similar reason "nothing but photographs to show for all that cash". He believed in buying something you could keep. Consequently as a kid I never went on a holiday but at least had a portable TV in my bedroom, when no one else I knew did.

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    I bought my first 'expensive' (and to date, MOST expensive) watch with permission from my wife (as the funds came from the excess from my endowment policy on my mortgage and hers had gone into paying the mortgage, so it seemed fair to ask...)

I've spent a hell of a lot since then and rarely bothered mentioning it to her (and she's only noticed a new arrival once)...

She doesn't understand why I need 30+ watches, but we've paid the mortgage, go on holiday a few times a year and clear the CC bill each month, so, so far, it's no more than raised eyebrows...

I've not bought a different car in 10 years, though, so I guess my watch spending hasn't cost me any more than that would have!

M.
    Absolutely. I think it would be reasonable of any partner to complain about the other is they overstepped the bounds of affordability or if money was being squandered. I'm assuming none of us are doing that, partly because of prudence and partly because the money is "invested" in a watch rather than spent and gone.

One thing that has helped me is I have always made sure that every so often I buy my wife at least one really good watch. I have 30+ and she has 2 - but she considers that a lot better than zero in terms of how selfish I am being.

I find as I get older I'm much more interested in experiences than things.

I can't see any value in lying in the sun for a fortnight reading a book, but visiting somewhere interesting and seeing something new seems an excellent way to spend money.

For me, at least, a lot better than buying a 5 grand watch.

I went diving with Blue Sharks and Rays in the Azores last summer. Didn't cost anything like 5 grand for the two of us and every day I think of those dives and would, personally, love to move to the Azores at least part of the year and I don't think I've ever felt that way about anywhere before.

This year we're thinking of going to Jordan so that we can visit Petra.

M

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete D View Post
    A great thread....and, with the talk of bikes, reminded me of a friend (not me....really!).

His wife knew he owned 2, but he had bought another brand new specimen and stowed it at another friend's place until he detected a moment of wifely weakness. That moment took over 3 years to arrive..

She admitted to having stopped using contraception (clearly without telling him) and thus was expecting their third child. He was hopping mad, but not enough so to miss the opportunity.

He then admitted to spending £12k on his 'new' bike and announced he was going to buy an additional one (at another £10k). Such opportunities should never be wasted.

Now that's class!! Buy that man a beer from me next time you see him. Hilarious 😂

Master
    Without wishing to spoil the party are you effecting your life negatively by buying a watch? If the woman in your life is a serious item then a nice holiday and meals out is money better spent. If you think this isn't the one then carry out your spend keeping your hobby and spend patterns entirely separate.

Only discuss watches with your other half whilst wearing a cheap watch from your collection and discussing cheaper brands (be that seiko or Rolex depending on your budget)That way you can say that this one only cost xxxx and drop into conversation that you love xxx brand and that you bought a new watch. If she wrongly assumes it was a cheap watch it is her fault. Also have 2 watch boxes - one obvious and one hidden! I only have xxx watches in my collection dear!
    Worst case ask her how many shoes / handbags or whatever her vice is!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Some of you need to develop spines.

Yes I am (happily) single. :)

Master
    Always liked watches and now my partner has kind of given me the go ahead to "treat" myself but without specification of and spending limits.

Admittedly she is awesome and doesn't expect me to be stupid but if I added up all the watches I want. And I do mean want rather than like there would certainly be more than a few raised eyebrows. The list isn't exhaustive and I don't think I am going mad but I really like divers so will end up with the usual suspects. Omega PO, SM300, Rolex Sub/Sea Dweller. But straight away there goes £10k! On a hobby! Thats before I even look at the forum and start thinking Rolex GMT Pepsi or the gorgeous Heuer Autavia GMT (want one).

You can only wear one watch at a time and I will only occasionally wear anything more than my Seiko beater.

Is this normal or is it just like bikes where the correct number of bikes is either N+1 or "number of bikes leading to divorce minus 1".
    IF you try hard enough, yes!

Master
    It's exactly the same as the bike situation. The good news is watches are easier to hide.....stating the obvious

Get her to buy you a watch box. Something classy and expensive to keep your watches in, making certain that it holds more than you currently have (counting all of the cheap n nasty ones too). Make sure there is at least one spare space.....you now have the emotional blackmail to say that she "gave you permission " to go shopping.

As you fill the box, throw out the cheap n nasty stuff,replacing with nicer stuff :)

Master
    Watches and bikes are a doddle to accumulate without the wife noticing. Cars less so.

I used to have a bit of an issue with accumulating cars. Unfortunately I can only fit 1 in the garage and 3 in the drive so when I ran out of space at home i parked one at my parents. Knowing my wonderful wife (never know when she might be reading) would be less than pleased at yet another car I told her it was my dads new toy. Unfortunately I neglected to give my father the correct reply to "I like your new car". It certainly wasn't "what new car? it's not mine, it's your husbands".

Still married.

Blog Entries
    To avoid divorce- (just) be honest.

(My wife nearly had a melt down a few years back when she discovered my watch collection in a drawer. But being the pragmatist a couple years ago we invested in a heavy (very heavy) bolted safe and she then bought me a watch box for Christmas.

Now she 'allows' one watch purchase per year. This year it has been the Omega POC with the metas 9900 movement and orange accents, see my other posts. But now I try to speak to her about any new purchase.

Last year I didn't quite stick to the one new watch, but did justify with some one-in-one-out movement so nett numbers remained the same.

Anyway, she accepts this 'hobby' as part of my character now. )

Martyn