closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plan to buy Rolex Submariner 116610LN

Craftsman

Plan to buy Rolex Submariner 116610LN

Hi all,

Been lurking here a few weeks now and researching as much as possible to further my knowledge on all things horological!

I currently own the Junghans Max Bill Automatic - pic below:

This is a lovely automatic but not practical long time as a daily wearer and is more of a dress watch so I have decided to start saving towards my first Rolex (116610LN).

I have decided to buy one of these pre-owned in the UK and start saving to buy this out right (hopefully I'll be able to pick one up from the forum!)

I am based in London and work as a Lawyer in the centre so would use this as a daily wearer.

Does £5000 seem like a ballpark figure for this watch in good condition with box/papers?

I do have a few month to save as I would like to pick it up for my 30th birthday later in the year.

Thanks for any help

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

£5k is too low. I'd budget at least £5.5k.

But once your spending £5.5k you may as well go the whole hog and have the AD experience and get a new one for a few hundred quid more, especially as you can get interest free credit and spread the payments.

Get yourself on the AD waiting list.
    Back in 2011 when I got mine I had to wait less than one month. Now with the whole Rolex hysteria it appears waiting lists are longer.

No £5k wont buy one may be a year ago, there is one in sells fairly new for £5700

£5700 used or £6250 new, I'd rather go new, given you're in the City and within walking distance of Authorised dealers.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by henk View Post
    Just buy new. The latestest subs have 5 year warranty and longer service intervals. Also you'll avoid buying a pup.

Sent from my SM-G920F using TZ-UK mobile app
    Thanks for this.

What's the likely wait time for a new model from UK Ad and criteria usually for a waiting list?

Also on the warranty card do you have your name if buying new as opposed to just the serial number?

Quote Originally Posted by lawler View Post
    Thanks for this.

What's the likely wait time for a new model from UK Ad and criteria usually for a waiting list?

Also on the warranty card do you have your name if buying new as opposed to just the serial number?

You could I suppose ask an AD.

Sometimes there's no substitute for a bit of leg work yourself. Call/visit in few ADs to get a rough idea.

It will be dependent on typically how many pieces they expect to receive and how many are on the waiting list. But given same person on multiple waiting lists, folk in front of you will drop out when the telephone call comes.

Master
    Blog Entries
    These are now showing up in authorised dealer windows for immediate purchase, no need to be on a long waiting list. I think things will get even easier too further into the year.

I agree with what's already been said, if it comes down to a few hundred go new, five year warranty itself is a great plus before they even give you a posh coffee or bubbles haha.

It does depend in the age of course, you may get an older one around 5k but you need to factor in the hassle factor, is it worth it. If you do buy used don't forget Rolex retrospectively upgraded (old) two year warranties to three years if the watch was sold between 1 July 2013 and 30 June 2015.

Rolex Submariners Ceramic are not hard to get new since price rise goldsmiths and prestons in Leeds have them!

Craftsman
    New seems the way to go unless I see a good deal on a used piece (very unlikely!)

Craftsman
    Just to confirm - does the warranty card actually have the name of the initial buyer as it is not clear?

Really debating whether to buy new or pre-owned for 1/2 years.....

Quote Originally Posted by bokbok View Post
    Rolex Submariners Ceramic are not hard to get new since price rise goldsmiths and prestons in Leeds have them!
    As Anthony has said - in stock, you just need to call in and make your intent known and serious.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Craftsman
    The difference between brand new and 1/2 years old us really small. Actually if you are buying from Watchfinder and any other dealer, the old one is more expensive. There was (is) one on SC at a pretty good price, but that's rare.

I would really buy new from AD in UK.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Finding one requires a little effort. I bought a sub date the week before the price rise. I called about 40 ADs, and eventually found one. I'm sure they are probably easier to find now after the price rise. What I found was the big chain dealers showed little interest, whereas independent jewellers took my enquiry more seriously.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by henk View Post
    No it does not & is transferable
    In that case I think I will keep my eye out for a good condition pre-owned.

Journeyman
    Being a lawyer in the smoke you must be creaming it in, might as well go for the deep-sea blue 😀

Craftsman
    Why is it some warranty cards have the name of the initial buyer and some don't? Is it just a choice made when purchasing?

Journeyman
    I agree with most the comments below. Go down the AD route.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Definitely worth it to get new at such a low premium.

Master
    Blog Entries
    No need to pay a premium though, they are available rrp .

Master
    I'll add that many AD's will offer 12-24 months interest free credit which while I wouldn't normally suggest in this case may make sense.

If your a couple of months shy of the savings to pay £5500-5700 ish for a pre owned Sub then why not purchase new at an AD on credit and then make the rest of the money work elsewhere as an investment?

Craftsman
    Just got the call from the AD. SubC Date arrived for pickup tomorrow!

Just in time for my 30th next month!

Craftsman

Congrats.....great watch.

I have the SubC Non date and love it.....I’ve recently put my name on the list for a Hulk, but don’t think I’ll get the call as quickly as you!

Enjoy, very nice...

Craftsman

Plan to buy Rolex Submariner 116610LN

Quote Originally Posted by moynan66 View Post
    Congrats.....great watch.

I have the SubC Non date and love it.....I’ve recently put my name on the list for a Hulk, but don’t think I’ll get the call as quickly as you!
    To be fair my name has been down for over a year and a half......!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journeyman

Congratulations! slippery slope from here - you can now start thinking about the next one.

Blog Entries
    Good news! Last two Rolex I bought new from an AD they wrote my name on the warranty card. Warranty is with the watch not the buyer so fully transferable though.

Enjoy the experience! You may get some free bubbly.

martyn.

Craftsman
    I’ll be popping down in my lunch break (just round the corner) but that would be nice!

Congratulations

I admire your patience and sitting tight waiting for the call.

The Sub is a great all round watch.

I hope that it brings you many years of reliable service and pleasure.

Craftsman
    Is it worth seeing if I can put this off purchase until after Basel this month or just go for it?

I hear rumours of a possible movement upgrade......

Factor in that if it does happen, you could be waiting several month for the new models to be released.

Is it worth seeing if I can put this off purchase until after Basel this month or just go for it?

I hear rumours of a possible movement upgrade......

Well if anything comes out at Basel it won't be available until May/June at the earliest......perhaps later. Also if it is replaced/updated it's hardly likely to become a "bad" buy and if you like it as is, go for it. It's a great all rounder for sure.

Depends if you want it on your wrist now as that 30th birthday present to yourself.

Craftsman
    This is true. I just need to take the jump I think!

Banned
    I’ve been looking for one and I think it’s almost impossible to find even a used one for under 6k at the moment but good luck anyway . Whatever you pay under 6.5 will be ok as these will always creep up in value

Craftsman
    Finally joined the club!

Feels surreal but just right on the wrist. Also has a good 'heft' compared to the Junghans dress watch.

The AD said this is the first one they have seen for months and unlike my they will get another one soon.

That's a beautiful watch. You have made the right decision.

Craftsman
    Just going through the process of insuring the watch. Being told I need a valuation and the receipt is not enough.

I spoke to the AD who confirmed that they don’t provide this as part of the service when buying a watch but they can arrange a valuation for £120 but this can take three weeks and the watch has to be sent away.

Anyone experienced this type of headache before?

Banned
    Just going through the process of insuring the watch. Being told I need a valuation and the receipt is not enough.

I spoke to the AD who confirmed that they don’t provide this as part of the service when buying a watch but they can arrange a valuation for £120 but this can take three weeks and the watch has to be sent away.

I'm also looking at watch insurance, it may be better to start a new thread.
    Congratulations, a good choice on the watch.

That looks really nice. Congratulations on your fine purchase.

Sent from my SM-T520 using Tapatalk

Congratulations, looks great on the wrist.
    I can't believe that after spending £6,250 on a the Sub.
    That they charge you £120 for a valuation!
    Every watch that I have bought the dealer has been happy to provide a FOC valuation.
    Can you not add it to your normal contents insurance?
    That is what I did and the Halifax was happy with just the receipt as it was a new watch.

Master
    Congratulations!

My watches are on my eSure home insurance policy. With them, receipt/valuation is not required to add a watch to the policy but could be asked for in case of a claim. I only ever obtained valuations (despite having receipts) for watches that I bought for less than UK RRP abroad.

If they continue to insist, you can save some money by getting a valuation from David M Robinson in Canary Wharf. They have always charged me £25 per watch every time I got a watch valued.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by FK77 View Post
    Congratulations!

My watches are on my eSure home insurance policy. With them, receipt/valuation is not required to add a watch to the policy but could be asked for in case of a claim. I only ever obtained valuations (despite having receipts) for watches that I bought for less than UK RRP abroad.

If they continue to insist, you can save some money by getting a valuation from David M Robinson in Canary Wharf. They have always charged me £25 per watch every time I got a watch valued.
    Great thanks for this. Thought £120 was a bit steep for a new watch bought at RRP.

Master
    Blog Entries

You just dropped a few grand in their shop and now they want £120 for a valuation. They are taking the piss. There goes the AD glow ...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    You just dropped a few grand in their shop and now they want £120 for a valuation. They are taking the piss. There goes the AD glow ...
    Yeah tell me about it. I was quite surprised actually.

Also got a quote from them which was 5 times more than an independent quote.

Does make you wonder what the 'AD experience' actually is...

Congrats

Go on name and shame the agent

I can recommend Marks and Spencer home insurance

Most insurance polices no need for valuation when watch is brand new the receipt is fine. It's when the watch is bought used. Why would you need a a valuation when you have purchase receipt!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    AXA home and contents Insurance. Check it out - best I’ve found (thanks to TZ )

Craftsman
    Organised insurance with T H March who seemed to be the most competitive in the market for me as a standalone jewellery cover.

Shame they are sticklers for requiring a valuation on a new watch bought at RRP but hey ho....

Seriously loving this watch so far. I now understand the hype.