closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Dublin?

Dublin?

Hi all

Off on a long weekend to Dublin in a few weeks time, a place I've never visited.

Do you guys have any recommendations for bars and restaurants etc?

Would be interested to know.

Cheers

Greenman

Master
    The Guinness tour is good, and the bar at the top of the tour is great - fab views of the city, and the best pint in Dublin.

FX Buckley (a local butchers) have a few restaurants dotted about, and serve up really good steaks.

If you want lively bars, the city centre/Temple Bar have loads but always packed.

The cellar bar in the Merrion hotel is great for a quieter drink, if that's your preference.

Craftsman
    Id avoid temple bar its dive, head up to Baggot St some great pubs and close to Stephens green, Grafton st and some museums.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Zissou1981 View Post
    Id avoid temple bar its dive, head up to Baggot St some great pubs and close to Stephens green, Grafton st and some museums.
    +1

If you want to push the boat out, Chapter One restaurant in the cellar of the Writer's Museum is superb.

http://www.chapteronerestaurant.com/

My favourite boozer is Mulligan's in Poolbeg Street.
    Last edited by Plastic_Magpie; 16th January 2017 at 16:19.

Journeyman
    Temple Bar is fun...

If you're in that area head for The Porterhouse, very nice bar, good beer and pretty good food as well.

I will second the ChapterOne restaurant , had a Birthday Meal there a few years back stunning place to eat
    And if you fancy something different try the The Dice Bar in the Smithfield area, part owned by Huey from the Fun Lovin Criminals great bar with all types of Music being played !!

http://www.spottedbylocals.com/dublin/dice-bar/

Journeyman
    Porterhouse bar is great, and tends to have good live music acts on too.

If you head over the bridge near there you'll come to my favourite Dublin pub (and probably the smallest) called The Lotts

It's not old but looks it! - http://www.thelottscafebar.com

The snug is the best bit!

Master
    This place is great and the Oval Bar before dinner is a great way to start things off!

http://shanahans.ie/

Journeyman
    Kehoes, McDaids, Mulligans, Palace Bar or Toners will not be beaten for a good pint.

Journeyman
    ... and FXBs for a steak.

Master
    I can't really help however I'll tell you this (probably the most valuable tip you'll receive ):

I went on a stag do a few years a go and just about all I can remember is a Kebab shop called Abrakebabra in Temple Bar area.

enjoy

Used to live over there and had my stag there, try cafe en seine on dame or grafton street, great venue and theres loads of good ones on those streets as well.

Try copper face jacks as well later on the night, great laugh in there

Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    Used to live over there and had my stag there, try cafe en seine on dame or grafton street, great venue and theres loads of good ones on those streets as well.

Try copper face jacks as well later on the night, great laugh in there
    Café en Seine was the stand out bar for me when I went. It's much larger inside than the entrance suggests.

Journeyman
    Another vote for cafe en seine. Couple of pubs Nearys just off Grafton Street and Toners in Lower Baggott Street.

Sent from my SM-G928F using TZ-UK mobile app

Temple Bar is a bit of a kippy over-priced tourist hole to be honest, so maybe check during the day but I wouldn't waste a night there. The Palace on Fleet St is the best bar there. Dawson St where Cafe en Seine is the best place for a night out probably, there is also Sam's Bar and 37 Dawson St. Also, the Dawson Louge is a great bar, smallest bar in Dublin.

Other good pubs - Toners, Brogans, Hairy Lemon, Stag's Head, Mulligans, Bowe's.

As for restaurants, I'll leave that to others / Tripadvisor......

I refer you to this excellent source:
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post

Copper Faced Jacks

I'm going over in April and it's our late venue plan

Only been once before years ago it was awesome
    Friendly
    Full
    Fun
    Etc

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    I refer you to this excellent source:
    Thanks - I did wonder if the search facility was broken. The FT published a Hidden Cities - Dublin guide in early December last year and I used it to find a couple of new places. It certainly seems to be generally sound; a favourite spot was Cafe BangBang which is only a 5 minute walk from my parent's house in unfashionable Dublin 7.

https://hiddencities.ft.com/dublin

Hi CB
    I see your parents live in Dublin 7, i mention this as the Dice Bar is in this area "Smithfield" ? not far from the Cobblestone Pub and the Jameson Distillery, we stayed at what is now the Maldron Hotel ?, we were there about 8 years ago now and it was before the housing crash it was all very up and coming with new apartment blocks going up around the Smithfield Horse market area, have you been recently i wonder if it has been kept nice or fallen back into obscurity as it is now unfashionable
    i though it was a great old area to stay and look around , i remember a Bar opposite the Dice Bar which i thought was called the Seum Tavern until "er indoors" had to point out the MU had fallen off the sign ! ( is this place still there right on the Luas Line ? )

Cheers

Wayne

I had a good meal at Fade St Social last time I was there.

Good atmosphere and very good food.

Thanks all - even more excited now. Might need to stay on for a couple more days to fit it all in!

benwoodroffe
    Peruke & Periwig is worth a pint.