closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Ploprof advice needed

Ploprof advice needed

Firstly a big thank you to the guys who steered me away from a fake Tudor snowflake at my local pawnbrokers. To cut a long story short he seems to have a lot of interesting watches from one source. I did see an immaculate looking ploprof which comes with the balance of warranty from a 2000 Euro overhaul at Omega Bienne. I think its had a lot of replacement parts but it looks immaculate and the case edges are lovely. I would be grateful if anyone can let me know if this much restoration is a bad thing and detrimental to the price. I took this one pic and I would be grateful if anyone can give me a ballpark realistic valuation. Many thanks in advance.

Hello
    I am no where as clued up on these as Tudor subs but...
    It looks good in your picture (all though it's not the greatest pic) the dial is likely to be a service replacement as the originals tended to rot like the Tudor subs. Not sure on the bezel insert as there are a number of different versions. These are plastic and tend to break easily so make sure there are no cracks. The bezel lock buttons are the same both parts are hard to replace if broken so make sure they are in good nick.
    Can't see the case profile but it should be very crisp with clean sharp edges, if not it's been polished.
    The link to the desk divers site I posted in your Tudor thread also has a section on these so have a look there.
    I would proceed after doing a bit more ground work.

John

Hi John
    I have the 1200m new version and this looks to have had insert dial hands and red locking button. I think the car has been really beautifully polished as the edges are like my newer model and nice and crisp. I have never bought a vintage watch and I kind of thought that the 2000 Euro restoration at omega adds piece of mind and gives me a kind of advantage as I wouldn't have to spend that kind of money in the future.

An Omega refurbishment on one of these is definitely a big plus.
    With luck someone who knows a bit more will join the thread. I think it looks good (with the limited pic you have posted)

Have a look at the desk diver site http://www.ploprof.com/Home.html
    It's a mine of information including how to spot a fake one...

I have been looking for a good one of these for a while so I am more that jealous!!!!

John

Thanks John your help on this and the Tudor has been great
    Do you know what I should offer on this as the guy asked me to suggest a reasonable price. I was thinking 4k as he has it stickered up at 4995
    Many thanks

Not really up on the prices but would start at 4K
    I think more that 5k is far too rich

Thanks
    You have been a great help

One of these has been in a jewellers in Winchester for the past 12-18 months for £5k. I'd say it might be worth ok money if it came with the original parts replaced at service but you can still buy nice original ones for less than £4k when they turn up on SC. It's a simple movement to service and if you went to STS I suspect £400 or so would have it back to you working perfectly and should you wish, the case lapped to look like new. I wear my original one a lot, it has nice patina to it and as a tool watch I'd rather it had that than look all shiny.
    "A man of little significance"

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    One of these has been in a jewellers in Winchester for the past 12-18 months for £5k.
    Foxy, old chap, I've told you a million times before not to exaggerate! It's a mere £4,995.

Some (poor - taken with a telephone and not a camera) photos below in case anybody is interested:

Foxy, old chap, I've told you a million times before not to exaggerate! It's a mere £4995

So is 5k too much? It's a long time for a desirable watch to sit in a window!

Craftsman
    can i ask which shop? i know Carter Marsh in Winch but is there another?

Quote Originally Posted by omarcomarco View Post
    can i ask which shop? i know Carter Marsh in Winch but is there another?
    Offord, on Upper High Street (opposite RBS).

http://www.offordandsons.co.uk/product?id=Omega_Proplof

There are also 2 shops on the High Street with (mostly Rolex) second-hand watches. Zoe's on High Street also has a few in the window. And Justice (the Bremont ADs) used to have a few - haven't checked recently.

Craftsman
    of course, thanks. I know the shop but didn't realise they sold second hand watches.