closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Tudor Big Block Chrono

Craftsman

Tudor Big Block Chrono

I'm beginning to think i might need a big block chrono but i'm aware there are a many variations between them all. Is there a good online resource for becoming an instant expert? What are values like at the moment?

Any discussion and pics are welcome!

Cheers

Craftsman
    I've been looking at the 79170 recently. Prices are between 3.5-4.5K. There's a few good threads on here if u search for it.

Craftsman
    hmm. is there a difference between a prince date and a big block? is it the rolex signed case and crown?

Quote Originally Posted by omarcomarco View Post
    hmm. is there a difference between a prince date and a big block? is it the rolex signed case and crown?

hey I just saw a tutorial stuff thing by hoodinke on you tube telling all about the chronos.

anyway, big block has straight sides and yes, rolex everything.

Here is a link to a thread I started last year when I was contemplating a Tudor Prince Chrono 79260p

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...nograph-79260p

I did end up buying a Tudor chrono, but not the one in the thread title.......however they are still very nice watches. Good luck with the search.

Master
    This forum is a great resource.....I already appreciate it!

Craftsman
    thanks all, i'd like panda dial, plexi, bracelet, lug holes, black bezel.... just working out now which ref's offer what i'd like.

I have one of these. A Tiger chrono so no Rolex markings unfortunately . Still a very nice watch at half the price of the Big Blocks.

Not my picture.

Tudor Big Block Chrono

There are times I think I need a Big Block too, particularly the 79170. The thing is they are now half the cost of the new (unobtainable) Daytona, which gives me pause for thought. Have pretty much shifted my thoughts to something new. Should have picked one up when they were cheap!

D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I came via the Daytona too but they are beyond reach for me at the moment. I think i actually prefer the slightly burlier look of the Tudor, i also love a bit of vintage plexi.

These are nice watches.

I'd certainly have one over a Daytona personally.

M.

Here is mine a 79160 - as others have noted it is an option to the Daytona.

benwoodroffe
    Quote Originally Posted by chris56 View Post
    Here is mine a 79160 - as others have noted it is an option to the Daytona.
    that would be the one to get. really cool.

Great watches ,and go under the radar.Thinking mans daytona.I have had a few, the rolex markings stopped when they went to a P (polished lugs) I think ,though some people fit the crown and back to try increase value. I have just the one left

these have gone ,black b/block and the oyster case with full rolex markings,they are nice and pretty rare watches

Master

Tudor Big Block Chrono

I own both a big block and the later model.
    I did a write up and a comparison between the two a while back.
    Tudor 79170 Big Block Vs Tudor 79260P

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...9&share_type=t
    There you go!

Also, the is a wealth of information in the Rolex forums.

Last edited by Ar.parask; 13th January 2017 at 20:57.

Craftsman
    great stuff thanks! drop me a message if you'd like to let go of the big block :-)
    Last edited by omarcomarco; 13th January 2017 at 21:05.

Master
    Sorry mate, both of them are staying with me for the foreseeable future. Really nice ones..

Big fan of the 79180, full Rolex markings and the mellow vnitage look the silver dial brings. 79180 is easy to service so whats not to love

Quote Originally Posted by mondie View Post
    Big fan of the 79180, full Rolex markings and the mellow vnitage look the silver dial brings. 79180 is easy to service so whats not to love

nice combo,what do we reckon the going rate for these are complete with box /papers

Craftsman
    Should the 79170 have rolex or Tudor marking on the Bracelet?

Master
    The 79170 was a long lived model previously designated as 94210. I am under the impression that the 94210s had rolex signed bracelet but the 79170s had Tudor signed ones.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by peter2704 View Post
    nice combo,what do we reckon the going rate for these are complete with box /papers
    Looks like £3.5+ not that I follow the market too closely. This is garnered from a quick scan of Chrono24.

Craftsman
    Have you checked out Marsh in The Square? They had Big block in the window the other day, no idea of price.

I fear about £4000 from a dealer, certainly if Chrono24 is to be believed

D

Master

Tudor Big Block Chrono

It is worth mentioning that a lot of the big blocks have now seen quite a lot of polishing.
    The cases came with some excellent chamfers from the factory but from what I can see in chrono 24 the cheapest ones seem to have lost the feature due to some polishing. It might be worth it to spend a bit more and get an unpolished or at least a slightly polished watch..

Why not get the later version for circa £2k? Mine has b&p, Tudor 78400 bracelet, Rolex crown and case back.

Craftsman
    thanks for the offer (and pm) but its definiteley the earlier big block i'm after.

not sure if yours should have the rolex crown and case back when a Tiger ,like i mentioned earlier some added these.Usually oysterdates had rolex parts not the princedates

Master
    not sure if yours should have the rolex crown and case back when a Tiger ,like i mentioned earlier some added these.Usually oysterdates had rolex parts not the princedates
    It is also a polished case which makes it even more difficult for the Rolex parts to be on the watch since the beginning of its life. We did see a burgundy dial one this year in the forum with polished case and Rolex parts that sold very quickly. I am still not convinced that the later polished cases came with any Rolex branding whatsoever..

Quote Originally Posted by Ar.parask View Post
    It is also a polished case which makes it even more difficult for the Rolex parts to be on the watch since the beginning of its life. We did see a burgundy dial one this year in the forum with polished case and Rolex parts that sold very quickly. I am still not convinced that the later polished cases came with any Rolex branding whatsoever..

It was service by Rolex with this crown and case back and has been back recently. I would assume Rolex would refuse a service unless it was as it should.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mr.chef View Post
    It was service by Rolex with this crown and case back and has been back recently. I would assume Rolex would refuse a service unless it was as it should.

Is it a B or a H serial?

Pretty sure it should be marked up tudor

Quote Originally Posted by Ar.parask View Post
    Is it a B or a H serial?

It's a B

Master
    It also comes with the oyster bracelet... most of the polished ones came with the Tudor jubilee... it might have been one of those exactly in the end of the Rolex era. When are the papers dated? The Tudor website mentioned that the Rolex branding started being abandoned from as early as 1998..

This is the version you need! Absolutely stunning and much nicer than a modern Daytona imo Why did I ever sell it!???

Last edited by watchcollector1; 15th January 2017 at 23:20.

Quote Originally Posted by watchcollector1 View Post
    This is the version you need! Absolutely stunning and much nicer than a modern Daytona imo Why did I ever sell it!???

Fully agree! Just bought one in exactly the same configuration, down to the chamfered markers. Waiting for it to ship. Can't wait!

^^^Gorgeous watch!

An unapologetic bump for this thread.

I'm drawn towards a Tudor Big Block. Of the range I like the look of the 79160, as per some of the photos in this thread. I know there was some talk about a re-release of the BB but I'm not sure how likely this is.

Does anyone on the forum own a 79160 and is there anything to look out for (ie known issues).
    I'd also need to consider a service so where would I be sending it if it doesn't have any service history. There are a couple on Chronos24 from Japan but I'd be reluctant to buy one in case of any issues.

I'll be putting a WTB up shortly but if anyone does own one and is thinking of selling, please PM me.

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves

They can be serviced via the RSC. Not sure what issues you are expecting to encounter, but like all vintage watches there is an element of risk in any purchase.

Master
    I’m sure most independents with a decent stock of parts can service these, it’s a 7750 after all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    I'm hoping Tudor might do a new big block

Master
    I owned, at one point (all at the same time), a 79160, a 79180 and a 79270.
    These days I only have the 79270 as, for me anyways it was the only comfortable one out the three - I found myself not wearing either of the BB’s as I found them far too ‘bulky’ and top-heavy…
    I still wear the 79270 on occasion and have also added the Tudor Heritage chrono in blue (which I bought pre-covid and haven’t worn it once yet. (Face palm).
    If you have never tried on a BB before you purchase one it might be an idea to do so if at all possible?
    You’re more than welcome to try on my 79270 if you’re ever up my way (I’m guessing 1-1.5hrs up the A68?)

Quote Originally Posted by gmt 16750 View Post
    I owned, at one point (all at the same time), a 79160, a 79180 and a 79270.
    These days I only have the 79270 as, for me anyways it was the only comfortable one out the three - I found myself not wearing either of the BB’s as I found them far too ‘bulky’ and top-heavy…
    I still wear the 79270 on occasion and have also added the Tudor Heritage chrono in blue (which I bought pre-covid and haven’t worn it once yet. (Face palm).
    If you have never tried on a BB before you purchase one it might be an idea to do so if at all possible?
    You’re more than welcome to try on my 79270 if you’re ever up my way (I’m guessing 1-1.5hrs up the A68?)
    Useful comments thanks. And I appreciate the offer of a test wear!

Tudor Big BLOCK

For information about Tudor chrono's
    You could try looking up Dan Pearce on the Rolex forum. He is said to be the expert on these models.
    Happy searching.

Craftsman
    Well worth reaching out to Dan. He’s very knowledgable on these and was very helpful when I was looking. Went for a 79280 in the end.

^^^ All good information (and in these cases the more information the better). Thank you.