closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Seiko "Turtle", tweaked to taste

Seiko "Turtle", tweaked to taste

Bought one of these on a whim a short while ago, and am generally a big Seiko fan - so was happy with, but not 100%.....
    I thought the bracelet was too wide, staying at 22mm all the way round - and having had the MM300 knew what a difference a nice bezel insert could make. I liked the gold accents but thought the bezel did not quite sit right with me. So I set about changing those 2 points.

Bezel insert - replaced old metal (black w/ gold numerals) for a black and white ceramic replacement.
    Bracelet - I've always loved oyster-style and have an old cushion-case seiko with one on (all original, 1971-ish) so thought I'd try the same. Went for a Super Oyster from strapcode after seeing some tasty pics elsewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by notenoughwrists; 13th January 2017 at 13:29.

Tiny pics mate :(

Yeh, just seen - trying to correct it now

Can hardly see it, please show us some full size pictures?

IMG_4550.JPG

Better??

Bloody photos!! You get the idea anyway. Whaddya reckon?

Master
    Good look.....

I quite like it...everything except the bezel pip...those things are a massive turn off for me!

I ordered the gold numeral bezel originally but the supplier broke it when packing, and was last one, with 2 months wait for replacement.

Looks fantastic, love the mods.

Love it!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by notenoughwrists View Post
    I ordered the gold numeral bezel originally but the supplier broke it when packing, and was last one, with 2 months wait for replacement.

Who did you order it from, was it a UK supplier?

Looking for Seiko mod supplier

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Banned
    Looks like a modded Seiko. Don't see the point in modding a turtle because it's great the way it is.
    Last edited by James_; 13th January 2017 at 12:42.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I like that. The originals don't do a lot for me but then mod looks great.

Quote Originally Posted by James_ View Post
    Looks like a modded Seiko. Don't see the point in modding a turtle
    I thought the bracelet was too wide, staying at 22mm all the way round - and having had the MM300 knew what a difference a nice bezel insert could make. I liked the gold accents but thought the bezel did not quite sit right with me.
    I suppose the point was for a man to change something he owned into something he liked more?

OP: Regarding the bracelet... what's the quality like v's the original? Its got a nice looking clasp for sure... much better than the pressed steel original. Did the end links fit nice and tight?

The Strapcode bracelet really is very good quality, I am well impressed and would recommed them without hesitation.
    Screwed links, with a little dab of loctite on each. Well machined and polished, really solid and a match to anything I've had before. Springbars seem good quality, and I have used them as I could not get the Seio bars to click into place. I know others have but mine would not quite go - and am happy with Strapcode's ones.
    The fit of the end links is as good as the original and the clasp seems well built, not too "tinny" as some aftermarkets can be.
    It tapers from 22m at the lugs to 19mm at the clasp - aesthetically it's a great improvement. That could be due to my slightly noodle wrists, but everything I've owned that was 22mm all the way around (this, Breitling Aero Advantage, some others) has just looked wrong on me.

The bezel insert was from DLW Watches in Singapore - good service, not expensive, and the insert seems nice quality. The lume pip stands quite proud though, and I wonder if it will take a knock at some point but we'll see. (The original is recessed into the insert).

All told, it has cost me about £40 (about £90 total for Bracelet and Bezel, but sold the original Seiko bracelet here for £50) and I have a watch that looks and wears better (IMO). I don't think it looks like it has been modded or non-standard - Seiko coud easily have produced the same - but i have made it something personal and am well happy.

I think now it is the incarnation of the watch I imagined from about 20 years ago, when I first got an SKX007 which I loved but always felt could be improved
    Last edited by notenoughwrists; 13th January 2017 at 13:47.

Quote Originally Posted by henryviii View Post
    I quite like it...everything except the bezel pip...those things are a massive turn off for me!
    Yeh, although I don't mind it so much it is a bit of a wart, and it sticks up above the bezel and might get knocked off/cracked.
    If so, with any luck, the pip from the original could drop into its place.... ;)

strapcode superoysters are really seiko transformers.
    nice mod dude!

Love the bezel insert. My only concern is how long the pip will last before it comes out or gets broken. was it easy to replace he original insert?

The only mod I would do on a SRP Turtle is a double domed sapphire. Glad you're happy with the outcome, it's a bit of fun and you've addressed the things you weren't keen on.

I agree. Both mods really transform this already good model and make it better. 👌

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by stevecross View Post
    Love the bezel insert. My only concern is how long the pip will last before it comes out or gets broken. was it easy to replace he original insert?
    Yeh, not too bad. The whole bezel prises off easily enough (not super easily, but be confident and tape off the case, work it bit by bit at all 4 lugs with a thin strong blade, no probs).
    The insert is held in place with adhesive, rather than push-fit like some other brands I've dabbled with (Rolex) - so I had to take a stanley knife blade and carefully seperate the insert from the bezel by pressing it in and cutting around. A little awkward, and needed care, but only took a few mins and half a finger..... On reflection, perhaps heating it with a hairdryer might have made it a little easier (it helps with superglue, for sure)

You can then clean the recess for the new insert of any residual adhesive, refit the bezel itself without insert, and the new insert will drop straight in afterwards - allowing you to line up the top triangle with the 12 indece with relative ease. Needs a few drops of superglue to set it in place, and care on not too much - or it'll squeeze out onto the crystal or drip into bezel ratchets, and glue your whole bezel in place :) :)
    Done.

Yeh, not too bad. The whole bezel prises off easily enough (not super easily, but be confident and tape off the case, work it bit by bit at all 4 lugs with a thin strong blade, no probs).
    The insert is held in place with adhesive, rather than push-fit like some other brands I've dabbled with (Rolex) - so I had to take a stanley knife blade and carefully seperate the insert from the bezel by pressing it in and cutting around. A little awkward, and needed care, but only took a few mins and half a finger..... On reflection, perhaps heating it with a hairdryer might have made it a little easier (it helps with superglue, for sure)

You can then clean the recess for the new insert of any residual adhesive, refit the bezel itself without insert, and the new insert will drop straight in afterwards - allowing you to line up the top triangle with the 12 indece with relative ease. Needs a few drops of superglue to set it in place, and care on not too much - or it'll squeeze out onto the crystal or drip into bezel ratchets, and glue your whole bezel in place :) :)
    Done.
    Thanks, thats something I will do once mine get scratched up

Banned
    Just checked out that DLW Watches you mentioned earlier , I'm gonna get some bits to mod my skx007 from them 👌🏽👍🏼

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Looks lovely

Looks great,love the oyster ,especially when it has the taper

Journeyman
    Nice mod. Looks great.

Banned
    i love it , but a bit nervous about changing a bezel insert without damaging the watch , with a spring bar remover the bracelet change is easy enough though

Nice mods.
    I bet the lume pip doesn't look so prominent on the wrist as it does in the pics. I didn't notice the bracelet in the pics at first which means it looks right for the watch.
    Did you consider a coin edge bezel?

Craftsman
    I think it is a really nice mod. The new bezel looks fine, including the bezel pip.

I had the blue turtle for a little, and even that I wasn't wearing it, the bracelet was looking really wide at 22mm on the whole length.

I'm liking that a lot, might be worth ordering the black & gold bezel then in two months time you can compare & decide whether or not to mod again? After all its not that expensive & as you said yourself, its the one you originally wanted. However, its very nice as it is, a little bit more of an 'old skool' Seiko diver about it post mod I think & black/gold would be even more so.

Master
    The Strapcode bracelet really is very good quality, I am well impressed and would recommed them without hesitation.
    Screwed links, with a little dab of loctite on each. Well machined and polished, really solid and a match to anything I've had before. Springbars seem good quality, and I have used them as I could not get the Seio bars to click into place. I know others have but mine would not quite go - and am happy with Strapcode's ones.
    The fit of the end links is as good as the original and the clasp seems well built, not too "tinny" as some aftermarkets can be.
    It tapers from 22m at the lugs to 19mm at the clasp - aesthetically it's a great improvement. That could be due to my slightly noodle wrists, but everything I've owned that was 22mm all the way around (this, Breitling Aero Advantage, some others) has just looked wrong on me.

The bezel insert was from DLW Watches in Singapore - good service, not expensive, and the insert seems nice quality. The lume pip stands quite proud though, and I wonder if it will take a knock at some point but we'll see. (The original is recessed into the insert).

All told, it has cost me about £40 (about £90 total for Bracelet and Bezel, but sold the original Seiko bracelet here for £50) and I have a watch that looks and wears better (IMO). I don't think it looks like it has been modded or non-standard - Seiko coud easily have produced the same - but i have made it something personal and am well happy.

I think now it is the incarnation of the watch I imagined from about 20 years ago, when I first got an SKX007 which I loved but always felt could be improved

Those are really nice mods particularly the bracelet replacement.

I've been having a similar problem wearing my PADI on and off for a few months, there was something that just wasn't quite right about the watch, but I couldn't decide what it was. A couple of weeks ago, I decided that it was the bracelet.
    Maybe it was the lack of taper or the small polished sections of the links that I didn't like, I'm not sure, the bracelets really well finished given the price of the watch and it's really comfortable, though a little heavy - anyway, I decided I needed to change it.

I've just changed it for a Watch Gecko vintage style leather strap and I'm really pleased with the result.

Craftsman
    My PADI bracelet tapers to 20mm at the clasp. Are there different bracelets for these?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by momentum View Post
    My PADI bracelet tapers to 20mm at the clasp. Are there different bracelets for these?
    Yes it does taper, I've just fished mine out of the box to check.
    As far as I know, there's only one type of bracelet.

I'd love that with an MM300 style dial
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by henryviii View Post
    ^^ this

Yeh, although I don't mind it so much it is a bit of a wart, and it sticks up above the bezel and might get knocked off/cracked.
    If so, with any luck, the pip from the original could drop into its place.... ;)
    Worth a try, maybe? :)

I like that a lot.Seiko have made so many variants through out the years I see no issue with tweaking it to your taste. I have bought a few here on the forum and love them.

I changed the bezel to a coin edge, the crystal to a Sapphire double dome, and the hands to a mm300 type. It's how I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Man of Kent View Post
    I changed the bezel to a coin edge, the crystal to a Sapphire double dome, and the hands to a mm300 type. It's how I like it.
    That looks fantastic. I'm really pleased with my 775, I agree the taper on the original bracelet is very subtle (22 to 20mm) but I have large wrists - only removed 1 link - and it's not an issue. Having said that I have a strapcode super engineer II (with straight end links bought for a different watch) which is 22mm non tapering and whilst well engineered I think it looks ridiculous on my wrist! - like a belt not a bracelet if that makes sense?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

That coin-edge bezel looks tidy, had not considered that..... until NOW! And the MM300 hands. Bloody Hell, it's a slippery slope this.....!!
    I hadn't measured the original bracelet, but surprised it tapers at all. The clasp is quite big so tricks the eye perhaps - anyway, the important thing is aesthetics for me, and how it felt to wear. I think it's right now, it was not for me on the original and would have stopped me wearing it - but I really wanted it on a bracelet.

I'm thinking of trying the Black/Gold ceramic once they're restocked. Mybe that with the coin-edge? We'll see!

So, next stage: coin edge bezel....

Love the combo with the ceramic bezel insert - it's the watch Seiko should have made :)

Last edited by notenoughwrists; 3rd March 2017 at 13:36.

Undecided on the MM300 handset swap.....

That bezel is sublime, a real improvement IMO