closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vintage Omega dress watches.

Grand Master
    my two are home from getting a spa treatment by walkerwek1958, very pleased to have them home!

Last edited by ktmog6uk; 10th December 2018 at 17:44.
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Grand Master
    Haven’t had my hands on a C case Constellation for years, then like buses two come at once!

Both of these watches were good examples, the steel one has a very original case with well- defined edges, I did nothing cosmetic but replaced the glass, crown seal, caseback seal and mainspring. Fortunately the spring barrel, reverser and rotor bush were good for further service, they’re the bits that often need replacement and they’re not cheap.

The gold one had clearly had an encounter with a polishing wheel, with very little of the correct brushed finish in evidence. The polishing had been done recently because the watch had no damage/scratches. Refinishing gold-capped watches has to be done carefully, there’s a decent layer of gold compared to plating but only around 200 microns from new. I managed to apply the correct brushed finish with contrasting polished edges, same treatment for the bezel, and the watch was transformed. A replacement sapphire crystal, full service of the movement, replacement crown and caseback seal, the watch is now back to full health and looking as it should.

One big advantage with both watches is the condition of the dials and hands, that’s v. important when buying and it’s worth paying a premium for.

Had a nice steel C case myself on original bracelet several years ago, sold it and wish I hadn’t!

Journeyman
    love these Omega dress watches, and the prices don't seem to have gone crazy, yet!

Grand Master
    Still can't decide if i should keep both or let the gold top one go and search for nice solid gold cased seamaster or geneve hand wind though!
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Haven’t had my hands on a C case Constellation for years, then like buses two come at once!

Both of these watches were good examples, the steel one has a very original case with well- defined edges, I did nothing cosmetic but replaced the glass, crown seal, caseback seal and mainspring. Fortunately the spring barrel, reverser and rotor bush were good for further service, they’re the bits that often need replacement and they’re not cheap.

The gold one had clearly had an encounter with a polishing wheel, with very little of the correct brushed finish in evidence. The polishing had been done recently because the watch had no damage/scratches. Refinishing gold-capped watches has to be done carefully, there’s a decent layer of gold compared to plating but only around 200 microns from new. I managed to apply the correct brushed finish with contrasting polished edges, same treatment for the bezel, and the watch was transformed. A replacement sapphire crystal, full service of the movement, replacement crown and caseback seal, the watch is now back to full health and looking as it should.

One big advantage with both watches is the condition of the dials and hands, that’s v. important when buying and it’s worth paying a premium for.

Had a nice steel C case myself on original bracelet several years ago, sold it and wish I hadn’t!
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Grand Master
    I think the gold-capped models are fine if in good condition, the problem is that most aren`t in good condition and you can`t start taking much off them to refinish the case, if they get a ding it has to stay as it is. However, they have one big advantage over 9ct gold, they don`t tarnish because the gold capping is usually 14 or 18ct which won't tarnish to anything like the same extent. I bought a nice 9ct Seamaster Deville earlier this year, I love it, but it needs a wipe with the rouge cloth to keep it sparkling.

I like the idea of having a pair of watches, one in gold and one in steel.........my advice is to keep both.

Journeyman
    I pity the fact that my wrists are too big for these!

My Omega 'Geneve' in the foreground.
    It's so simple and elegant and soooo thin!
    Hand wound.
    My now departed Uncle gave it to me a few years back and it's the one watch that will never be sold, unlike the AT next to it.

Master
    My first watch was a Seamaster DeVille in about 1967. Cost £36, which was a lot of money. Stupidly, I neglected it, never serviced it, and after 20 years of faithful service, threw it in the dustbin.

Quote Originally Posted by eric View Post
    love these Omega dress watches, and the prices don't seem to have gone crazy, yet!
    Exactly what I think everytime I see one.

So tempting...

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk