closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Recommend a Cycle work stand

Recommend a Cycle work stand

I need a work stand to help me maintain my road bikes. Wiggle has some professional looking bits of kit but they are very pricey, eBay is a bit overwhelming as I don't want a piece of wobbly tat, so... anyone have any recommendations for a budget stand that works well?
    Tom

Master
    I have the Park Tool PCS-9 and it's been great. Cheapest right now is Chain Reaction @ £75.99. I think I bought mine from Tweeks Cycles.

Grand Master
    The park tool one is pretty much the go to, but have to say, in years of building bikes i've never used a stand in my life, what exactly are you doing to necessitate having one?

Master
    Blog Entries
    It's a lot easier to work on the bike when it's at head height. Certainly on the back & neck. If I have a lot to do on my bike I'd use one but admit to not being bothered to get it out of it's hiding place in the garage most of the time

Master
    Like earlier poster said Park stands are great. Im tight so I bought a Lidl stand £29.00 and I cannot fault it. I only use it about once month for maybe servicing gears or removing headset/ bb, so I couldnt justify the higher values. Bad news is the Lidl and Aldi bike work stands only come in when they do a bike week.

Steve

Master
    Park.
    Definitely worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Like earlier poster said Park stands are great. Im tight so I bought a Lidl stand £29.00 and I cannot fault it. I only use it about once month for maybe servicing gears or removing headset/ bb, so I couldnt justify the higher values. Bad news is the Lidl and Aldi bike work stands only come in when they do a bike week.
    As a recent convert to cycling (to get me to and from work) I'm intrigued to know how many miles you're doing to necessitate servicing gears/headset/bottom bracket once a month?

Other than washing it down and slopping some lube on the chain every couple of weeks (in this weather at least) I'm not expecting to have to do that much maintenance...

+1 for Park PCS9, have one myself and incredibly useful for cleaning and regular maintenance, easier to take wheels out, access chain and gears for lubing etc. I'm 6' 3" and have 4 bikes in the household, so total no brainier for me, rather than grubbing about with bikes on the deck, turning them upside down etc.

Master
    I bought one of these a year ago and have been entirely happy with it:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00CJY8RL4/

Currently £35.99. Sturdy, very stable, easy to use and relatively compact once folded up.

Craftsman
    Try Chainreaction, they have X-Tool stand for nearly half price, I have one and it's great.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/u...d/rp-prod10226

as above the Park stands are great but expensive. The lidl stand is a bit of a bargain and good for occasional use. Although the cycle offers are not available my local store (Lidl), still has some in stock so you may get lucky if you have one close by.

Master
    I've had one like that Chain Reaction one for years - can't fault it.

Pete

Master
    I have a Park stand too I 'liberated' from work - very sturdy and robust

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ptcoll View Post
    I've had one like that Chain Reaction one for years - can't fault it.

Pete
    Me too.

Master
    If anyone local to me want to buy my Park Tool PCS-9 stand I'll offer it for sale at £50. It's not something I could put in the post and not too bothered if it doesn't sell, it gets used sporadically. Might even put it on SC.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    As a recent convert to cycling (to get me to and from work) I'm intrigued to know how many miles you're doing to necessitate servicing gears/headset/bottom bracket once a month?

Other than washing it down and slopping some lube on the chain every couple of weeks (in this weather at least) I'm not expecting to have to do that much maintenance...
    Easy I have 5 bikes, 4 of my own and my wifes. Last year I did 3000 miles and ride a mix of 1992 steel to 2016 titanium with a lot off road. The new bikes are virtually zero maintenance the older bikes are like tiggers broom to keep them in good condition.

Off road grit and crap wears deraillers, and headsets. My carbon road bike had a bb refitted at its first service prob only 800 miles, but that was a one off.
    Steve

Master
    anothet vote for Park, useful for working at chest height. Saves all that crouching and bending.

Quote Originally Posted by oiljam View Post
    If anyone local to me want to buy my Park Tool PCS-9 stand I'll offer it for sale at £50. It's not something I could put in the post and not too bothered if it doesn't sell, it gets used sporadically. Might even put it on SC.
    do you ever get near to Grantham?

Lots of good suggestions, thanks all.

The main use is for cleaning, I am a bit obsessive about shiney bikes...

If the above doesn't work out I think I will buy the half price stand linked above.

Tom

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyboy View Post
    do you ever get near to Grantham?
    I don't no but it's an easy drive up the A1, I can meet at junction 38 near Doncaster, if that's any good.

Master
    I've got the Lidl / Aldi one which was about £25 if I remember correctly. I use it regularly for cleaning and have built three bikes on it. It's been fine but if I was buying another I'd get the type that grips the bottom bracket and front or rear dropouts - Park Tool PRS-20 or similar.
    Last edited by benny.c; 8th January 2017 at 19:20.

Craftsman
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/9jt/Mecha...nd+maintenance

I use one of these but paid much less if you surf around. I think there are a few companies selling the exact same thing under different names.

It's perfectly acceptable for price.

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Easy I have 5 bikes, 4 of my own and my wifes. Last year I did 3000 miles and ride a mix of 1992 steel to 2016 titanium with a lot off road. The new bikes are virtually zero maintenance the older bikes are like tiggers broom to keep them in good condition.

Off road grit and crap wears deraillers, and headsets. My carbon road bike had a bb refitted at its first service prob only 800 miles, but that was a one off.
    Steve
    Thank goodness for that.

I gave mine a wash this afternoon

benwoodroffe
    i got a 30quid job from amazon and it's been fine.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    i would buy one of the park ones next,i have an aldi one at present and its getting a bit hard up but these get a good write up

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/x...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

Blog Entries
    Park as suggested.

Master
    Blog Entries
    http://m.cuckooland.com/dnc/cuckoola...t-fur?cat=3296

On of these!
    However swmbo says I am not allowed to hang my bike on my one.

And it's not really a workstand...
    Last edited by jmitch; 9th January 2017 at 00:14.

Craftsman
    Good time of year to buy, lots of on-line shops with sales on.

I've had an Amazon £30 cheapie (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) for a couple of years now and it's brilliant - can't really see why you would pay more unless you were fixing bikes professionally (LOTS of bikes).

Cheers,

Mark C