closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: David Bowie - The Last 5 Years

David Bowie - The Last 5 Years

Documentary just started on BBC2

Looks good

Oh sweet, thanks for the heads up.

Loved his music, but, I always thought he talked nonsense when interviewed. Woody was on 6 music earlier , which gave a bit of an insight.

Quote Originally Posted by notnowkato View Post
    Loved his music, but, I always thought he talked nonsense when interviewed.
    I know what you mean, though Ive always viewed it as being linked to his at times obtuse sense of humour and tendency to be contrary, especially in the early years.

I liked the quote in this evenings programme re Major Tom and would he really have liked to go into space - "No, not at all, I get scared going down to the bottom of the garden"

I liked this programme, it was well put together and the interviews especially with Visconti I found very interesting.

One should never listen to musicians prattle, just enjoy their music IMHO. I have a Bowie compilation I made on different formats in several locations, probably 35-40 tracks and not one duffer, lots of styles and genres in there. However in my minds eye I always think of Bowie with Ronson at their apogee, IMHO of course.....

https://youtu.be/5g6--QoPsDM

I'm looking forward to seeing the programme.
    F.T.F.A.

Master
    Brilliant programme, but based on a lot more than his last five years. All the better for it, though.

Today would have been his 70th birthday.

Excellent programme and good that there were plenty of old clips and interviews. That black and white clip of Space Oddity was stunning.

There is a new Bowie at the BBC on BBC4 next Friday at 10.00pm.

I enjoyed the programme more than the film that followed.

Hear Hear

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    However in my minds eye I always think of Bowie with Ronson at their apogee, IMHO of course.....

https://youtu.be/5g6--QoPsDM

I'm looking forward to seeing the programme.
    IMHO the best video clip of the best song of the best era of Bowie.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    One should never listen to musicians prattle, just enjoy their music IMHO. I have a Bowie compilation I made on different formats in several locations, probably 35-40 tracks and not one duffer, lots of styles and genres in there. However in my minds eye I always think of Bowie with Ronson at their apogee, IMHO of course.....
    Sure The Spiders set the standard and what a standard but the Thin White Duke band and the Lets Dance band generally Carlos Alomar/Dennis Davis etc were fantastic and later the bands with Gail Dorsey/Earl Slick/Zach Alford. Each band/era had its own aura. Wish I'd seen that Ziggy tour tho'. 60 UK shows in small theatres. Must have been like an alien invasion back then. Just the gtr solo on Moonage Daydream and the walk Bowie/Ronson do is 'rock' IMHO

Great programme. Much of the old stuff has been on loads of times, but the recent stuff was interesting.

I think Bowie was probably the ultimate "artist/musician", in the sense that it's the whole package - the look, the sound, the character and the performance. The weird and contradictory interviews we just part of that - I agree that he did talk a load of bollocks, but I think he knew that, and there was a knowing glint in his eyes a lot of the time. He wasn't a people's poet (where the lyrics were his message) or a musical virtuoso (where it was all about clever arrangements etc), he was just "Bowie". It's what people wanted.

Musically, I don't think you can doubt his body of work though, and watching these kind of films just reinforces that. From 1969 to 1983, he barely put a foot wrong, and averaged over one album a year in that period - incredible. (Hunky Dory has the be up there as one of the best albums of all time).

I'm not sure anyone can really come close to his influence. There are better musicians, more eleborate performers, but none that can be a cultural icon in the same way. (Prince, arguably, came close, but I don't think he really changed his musical style that much over the years).

IMO Kate Bush is the nearest we have to Bowie now. She's another one who works on a whole different level to everyone else.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by den77 View Post
    IMHO the best video clip of the best song of the best era of Bowie.
    Wow, that rocks!

Well worth a viewing, I watched on iPlayer over the weekend.

Master
    I really enjoyed it, thought provoking, poignant but full of humour. The planet is a worse place for his passing.