closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Purchasing a watch from Japan when in UK

Apprentice

Purchasing a watch from Japan when in UK

Hello all, Happy new Year!

I am a big Citizen Watch fan and currently have 3, I am looking to buy a 4th but sadly nothing in their current range other than what I have already got interests me.

I was looking around and spotted a really nice Citizen Promaster Sky Blue Impulse Limited Edition but it was made for the Japanese market only and can only be purchased online from Japan.

What is the procedure for purchasing a Watch from Japan and posting to the United Kingdom?

Many thanks in advance

Master
    Give them your address and your money and wait for it to be delivered :) (assuming it is from a shop who ship internationally). Just remember to factor in an additional 20% into the price to account for possible import VAT.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    Give them your address and your money and wait for it to be delivered :) (assuming it is from a shop who ship internationally). Just remember to factor in an additional 20% into the price to account for possible import VAT.
    Simple as that?

The seller in question accepts payment via Paypal so I am covered in that respect.

Are there any recommended sellers in Japan you can recommend that fellow forum members have purchased from in the past?

Thank you!

Regards Simon

Quote Originally Posted by bonelorry View Post
    Simple as that?

The seller in question accepts payment via Paypal so I am covered in that respect.

Regards Simon
    When it arrives in UK customs they will hold on to it & send you a bill for the VAT + a processing charge that you have to pay before it is release. It's a bit annoying as it'll usually take a few days to ship internationally but a week for customs to process and send you a letter.

I can recommmend both Seiya and higuchi

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Montybaber View Post
    I can recommmend both Seiya and higuchi
    Totally agree they are both great to deal with.

Master
    Hello all, Happy new Year!

I am a big Citizen Watch fan and currently have 3, I am looking to buy a 4th but sadly nothing in their current range other than what I have already got interests me.

I was looking around and spotted a really nice Citizen Promaster Sky Blue Impulse Limited Edition but it was made for the Japanese market only and can only be purchased online from Japan.

What is the procedure for purchasing a Watch from Japan and posting to the United Kingdom?

Many thanks in advance
    I just googled the watch and wow that is possibly the busiest dial I have ever seen :) good luck with your purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood View Post
    When it arrives in UK customs they will hold on to it & send you a bill for the VAT + a processing charge that you have to pay before it is release. It's a bit annoying as it'll usually take a few days to ship internationally but a week for customs to process and send you a letter.
    A week and half to two weeks is my most recent experience. The last two Seikos I bought from Japan arrived in the UK within 4 days. They then made the usual slow progress through the HMCR process. Think it should be quicker and more efficient? Tough - be grateful for what you have been given citizen.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by andy armitage View Post
    I just googled the watch and wow that is possibly the busiest dial I have ever seen :) good luck with your purchase.
    Yes it is, I do like the Aviation Style Citizens. I already have a Skyhawk Red Arrows Titanium, Navihawk Black DLC with Zuludiver Strap, Chrono Time (Promaster) Titanium.

For the curious - Citizen Promaster Sky BY0080-65E Blue Impulse Limited

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by alun View Post
    For the curious - Citizen Promaster Sky BY0080-65E Blue Impulse Limited

Thanks for that, Yes its a Japanese model only so not available anywhere else. It is part of the Promaster Sky Series but is the Blue Impulse Limited Edition with only 1000 made, It is Duretect Titanium with Uses the H610 Movement.

Bloody love it and have been looking for Months for one!

Master
    Help I've just gone dial blind! One for the younger set or at least the keen eyed.

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood View Post
    I've never known customs send a letter. The carrier usually deals with this and some bill retrospectively anyway.

Apprentice
    Couple more pics of the watch...

Grand Master
    Any watch that's trying to give me a maths or geography lesson is a no-no; this one fails on both counts!

Back to the OP's question, you have to factor in the VAT + handling charge thesedays, unless you're very lucky.

Paul

Yes its a Japanese model only so not available anywhere else.
    Are you sure that it will synchronise with the UK MSF transmitter at Anthorn?

The dial only mentions USA/EUR/CHI/JPN, and while some areas of the UK can receive the DCF signal from Frankfurt, it can be a bit hit and miss.

Banned
    I've had several radio controlled Citizens that have been fine with the German signal. Although I did have some trouble getting the signal when a couple of the watches first arrived which I think was due to the movement not being charged enough. In fact I don't think any Citizen watches sync to UK transmitters.

Oh and nice watch bonelorry. Busy dial yes but still easy to read.
    Last edited by James_; 2nd January 2017 at 19:53.

+1 for Higuchi
    Excellent price, communication, and tracking details.
    Would definitely us again without hesitation.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post
    Are you sure that it will synchronise with the UK MSF transmitter at Anthorn?

The dial only mentions USA/EUR/CHI/JPN, and while some areas of the UK can receive the DCF signal from Frankfurt, it can be a bit hit and miss.
    Yes, My current Citizens which are radio controlled have no issues picking up a signal and all three watches are running to the same time to the second!

The Skyhawk JY0110-55E has 3 settings....USA/EUR/JPN, Uses EUR and is fine
    The Navihawk JY8035-04E has 4 settings...JPN/CHN/EUR/USA, Uses EUR and is fine
    The Chrono Time A-T (Promaster) BY0120-54E has 4 settings...JPN/CHN/EUR/USA, Uses EUR and is fine

All my above watches where purchased in the UK.

The Watch I am looking to buy can also be set to the EUR setting so should have no issues receiving a signal.

Apprentice
    Just like to say thank you for everyones input, It seems my patience might have paid off after all as I have spotted one for sale Germany. Brand new unworn Watch with Tags.

I have been looking for 3 Months solid now and every Watch that came up was in Japan, Hopefully I can make arrangements and get this one bought from Germany!

Well that'll save you the extra VAT...

Simon

Apprentice
    I was outbid by 5 Euro's within the last 5 Seconds of the Auction ending, Buying one from Japan will cost double than the one I was bidding on so I am not going to bother for now.