closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rolex Sub ND servicing in 2017

Rolex Sub ND servicing in 2017

Morning folks,

2017 will be the year of my next Rolex service. Does anyone know what the price is these days & if you still get the service certificate for proof of the work done.

Cheers!

Master
    Is it around £450, plus extra for any replacement parts? You get a plastic card confirming when the two year warranty period ends.

Thanks mate, I tried calling around a couple of ADs and have been quoted £475 and £550.

Both just send it on to Rolex. Anyone else noticed a difference in price between ADs?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwood View Post
    Thanks mate, I tried calling around a couple of ADs and have been quoted £475 and £550.

Both just send it on to Rolex. Anyone else noticed a difference in price between ADs?
    Yes. Some don't charge, and others charge different prices.

Does the watch need servicing? When did it last have one ?

Craftsman
    Rudell's in wolverhampton have an in house watch maker so your watch doesn't need to go away. Useful if you're local enough. I really dislike posting watches if possible having seen first hand how they handle post behind the scenes. And if you mark anything 'fragile' you may as well mark it 'kick me', and I'm not joking!
    Rudell's charge £400, I guess due to the lack of postage costs. Their watchmaker has been approved by Rolex his whole life.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrbarry View Post
    Rudell's in wolverhampton have an in house watch maker so your watch doesn't need to go away. Useful if you're local enough. I really dislike posting watches if possible having seen first hand how they handle post behind the scenes. And if you mark anything 'fragile' you may as well mark it 'kick me', and I'm not joking!
    Rudell's charge £400, I guess due to the lack of postage costs. Their watchmaker has been approved by Rolex his whole life.
    I recently had my 14060m serviced through Rudells.

If I remember correctly it had to be sent to Rolex, as they don't service sports watches in house.

Rudell's charge £400.
    Service cost was £430.

£400 for the service and £30 for the post and packaging.

2 year warranty from Rolex.

Now 10 year service intervals.
    Last edited by mijyou; 1st January 2017 at 21:37.

Craftsman
    Well I can't argue I haven't yet had a service. Was it the wolves branch or Birmingham? I'd have thought the Birmingham branch would have sent it to wolverhampton though if what I was told is true. Only ask because I was told by the sales person when buying my GMTc that their watch maker (Martin I believe) is approved for doing their services on Rolex, PP and Omega watches. I was led to believe this would include a GMT but I have yet to find out, if I have been lied to I won't be very impressed because that's absolutely not what I expect when I'm spending my hard earned!

I have to visit the wolves branch this week, i have asked them to get an engagement ring in for me to view, I will ask them directly where I stand. If they don't service sports Rolex watches I will be spending my money elsewhere in the future I assure you.

Grand Master
    Not certain of the details, but I believe Rolex have introduced new criteria in recent years for refinishing and pressure testing, which has mainly affected the sports mnodes. Some accredited independents who could previously service certain models may now be unable to do so unless they upgrade their equipment at significant expense.

In fairness to the shop in Wolverhampton (who I`ve never had dealings with) they may have been caught in this situation. It may be wise to seek an explanation before assuming you've been lied to, things do change and Rolex will can the bar almost at whim.

An accredited repairer can keep busy enough servicing Datejusts and other non-sports models, which significantly outnumber the Subs and GNTs in the real world.

Paul

Well I can't argue I haven't yet had a service. Was it the wolves branch or Birmingham? I'd have thought the Birmingham branch would have sent it to wolverhampton though if what I was told is true. Only ask because I was told by the sales person when buying my GMTc that their watch maker (Martin I believe) is approved for doing their services on Rolex, PP and Omega watches. I was led to believe this would include a GMT but I have yet to find out, if I have been lied to I won't be very impressed because that's absolutely not what I expect when I'm spending my hard earned!

I have to visit the wolves branch this week, i have asked them to get an engagement ring in for me to view, I will ask them directly where I stand. If they don't service sports Rolex watches I will be spending my money elsewhere in the future I assure you.
    My watch was sent through the Birmingham branch if that helps.

I have bought watches from both branches and always find Rudells staff a pleasure to deal with.
    Last edited by mijyou; 2nd January 2017 at 15:10.

It was lasted serviced in 2010. This would on;y be it's second service since 2002. I am not sure what the recommended service interval is though.

My local AD can service in house but I was told they had to send Sport/Professional model to Rolex UK. They only handle datejusts etc in house.

It must have happened, what to Rolex do if your watch is lost in the post?

Master
    sending or receiving?

Rolex returning self insure I understand and so you can expect a replacement watch. Sending I believe is your responsibility, you could obviously drop off in West Malling or St James if convenient or if not use Parcel Pro or some other insurance cover.

If I drop it off at the AD though I presume they have responsibility. I'll ask them when I hand it in.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Not certain of the details, but I believe Rolex have introduced new criteria in recent years for refinishing and pressure testing, which has mainly affected the sports mnodes. Some accredited independents who could previously service certain models may now be unable to do so unless they upgrade their equipment at significant expense.

In fairness to the shop in Wolverhampton (who I`ve never had dealings with) they may have been caught in this situation. It may be wise to seek an explanation before assuming you've been lied to, things do change and Rolex will can the bar almost at whim.

An accredited repairer can keep busy enough servicing Datejusts and other non-sports models, which significantly outnumber the Subs and GNTs in the real world.

Paul
    That's fair comment. I will reserve judgement because I have had a very very good relationship with them to date. In fact I refuse to go elsewhere and have sent a few friends in to make purchases. Customer service is far more important to me than cost or rushing. To date they have been concise in all dealings and I value honesty and integrity above anything, hence I was a little perturbed when I thought I may have been misled. And good customer service doesn't mean kissing my a55, although they always offer drinks etc, it means respec for the facts.
    I did have a chat to their watch maker some time back actualy, he was telling me how Rolex insist that ADs buy certain new tools at outrageous cost to be allowed to perform a service, almost as if old ones go out of date. So your suggestion does sound highly likely actualy.

TBH, I pretty much leave well alone unless there is a timekeeping issue.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    TBH, I pretty much leave well alone unless there is a timekeeping issue.
    Given that the watch was serviced in 2010 I tend to agree. Ideally the amplitude should be checked, a quick session on a timegrapher would confirm that it's still OK (or not). It would help greatly if ADs provided this check free of charge and were able to advise positively whether a watch needed servicing.

Other problems, such as stiff hand-winding or issues with the screw-down crown are usually obvious. Sometimes the 'if it ain't broke' philosophy can be applied correctly, and after 6 years I think that's what I`d do.....assuming the last service was done correctly!

Paul

Craftsman
    Have to be honest I'm hoping my Rolex will run for many years before I have to have it serviced. I have watches from the 1980s that still run today with no issues, £20 watches. So I do hope a £6k watch will run for at least 10-15 years. I have one watch that does not run and needs a service, well it runs but gains 2 hours a day. I have 'rebuilt' a few cheap watches, wouldn't call it servicing I am vastly under experienced to say the least, but I'm not willing to do the same on the watch in question. I need to find a watch maker I trust to do it, easier said than done although I haven't tried very hard if im honest.