closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Diesel cars - would you or wouldn't you?

Master

Diesel cars - would you or wouldn't you?

Given the trend to ban them from city centres is likely to grow and that the govt. is waking up to the dangers of particulate emissions, would you chance it next time you change your car?

Once had a diesel some years ago. Nice smooth 6 pot.
    Never had another and would not buy one now. I just like petrol and on balance it's probably less harmful.

Not for me. All petrol vehicles here.

Master
    It comes down to the mileage you do. I have a 2.0l 170BHP Skoda Superb that returns around 44mpg town driving and 60+ MPG on the motorway. No petrol engine car of similar size or performance will come near that.

I've never had a diesel, but I've been considering a BMW 330D touring or a 3.0D XF Jaguar, but I'm not sure.

I like the idea of great consumption, but like the idea of a 4K rev limit (especially painful coming from a rotary with a 9K limit!) and that lovely tractor start up sound less.

I suspect my next car will be a petrol one, but I'm undecided at the moment.

M.

Master
    Blog Entries
    No, the sooner they're banned the better. Massive threat to our health. The government made a grave error in making diesel engined cars more attractive, they admit that

Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    No, the sooner they're banned the better. Massive threat to our health. The government made a grave error in making diesel engined cars more attractive, they admit that
    To be fair, they never made them as appealing as nearly every other country in Europe, did they?

Diesel is still usually much cheaper than petrol in most places, at least here the fuel is still on a par with Petrol.

M

When I bought mine it was the right decision, but with the current diesel backlash, with various cities proclaiming that they will ban diesel vehicles (although I suspect that these are poorly researched and ill-considered soundbites for the benefit of the media - do they not have a public transport system which relies on diesel buses and diesel trucks delivering goods to shops?) exacerbated by the VW emissions fiasco, if I were to change now I would probably opt for petrol.

No, I wouldn't. Have had diesel for the last four vehicles including the one I have now but not next time, back to petrol for me. The writing's on the wall.

Master
    did go through a period of using diesel cars but now down to only 1 out of the 5, when that one(Shogun) goes it will be all petrol

Mazda = petrol
    Toyota = petrol
    Porsche = petrol
    Nissan = petrol
    Mitsubishi = diesel
    Last edited by K300; 23rd December 2016 at 14:54.

Have to agree with most of the comments above but I'll need to find something with the thumping mid range of my 335d to replace it with....
    So a petrol car with the torque of a 996 turbo and sensible running costs
    not going to be easy is it?
    any suggestions welcome!!

Yes, last two cars have been diesel and would happily avoid city centres for good.

I wouldn't.
    Had two diesel cars previously and found them pretty decent but I wouldn't like to risk having a car that was banned from certain areas.

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    Have to agree with most of the comments above but I'll need to find something with the thumping mid range of my 335d to replace it with....
    I think this is a big problem for a lot of people.

When/if they build batteries with decent capacity and life and cost, electric cars will easily surpass diesels, but that's still some way off.

Until then, I can't see diesels entirely going away.

I didn't think diesels were good for city driving, though, don't they clog their DPFs or something?

M.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I drive 40K per year, there are not petrol options which stack up for me. Anything with reasonable efficiency (55+ Mpg) is typically a tiny little thing not suitable for the journeys I do daily.

Has as anyone who does similar mileage switched to petrol?

I would like the recycling cost taken into account before distributing any sort of green award to a vehicle. Electric would not smell of roses.
    The future is in the fuel cell but the network for H2 distribution and lower production costs is still a few years away. I'll keep my 270 CDI a few more years until then, I hope.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    I would like the recycling cost taken into account before distributing any sort of green award to a vehicle. Electric would not smell of roses.
    The future is in the fuel cell but the network for H2 distribution and lower production costs is still a few years away. I'll keep my 270 CDI a few more years until then, I hope.
    Agree with that, have to be affordable. Had my cr-v a few years, and passed mot with no issues. I don't ever go into any cities, but do a lot of town and country miles. Can't beat low rev torque for adaptability, and load space/ economy.

There seem to be many many buses, with few passengers in towns, also many delivery vans (diesels) and of course masses of huge lorries. If only more was carried by rail eh.....( what a joke)

Master
    Petrol smells and tastes nicer.

The family has a hybrid, a petrol and diesel. So all bases are covered.

In future the diesel might get replaced with all electric as I simply do not do the mileage these days.

Petsonally i recommend you buy what suits you needs today and worry about a ban in London if and when it happens.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Blog Entries
    Long distance: diesel. Town: petrol (VW Up). Diesel is cheaper after 30k kms/yr overhere.

There's a revolutionary coach builder in my town with bus with electric motors in the wheels. The name: Whisper Bus. Green & clean. Guess how many are bought/used by the local bus company? None! Don't mention a diesel ban here when local politics does not want to support the local economy and the local environment.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    I've just bought a Honda Civic Type R - the turbo vtec one. It has a thumping mid range and top end - though not too economical!

ATB

Jon

My last 5 vehicles have been 3 pointed star and 5L+ types, I see no reason to change that now.

Ou household does 3k and 6k miles respectively however, it would therefore seem rude not to run such vehicles.

Diesels are truly horrid things, for tractors and taxis only.

Blog Entries
    We have two Mercedes diesels both auto's,both work absolutely fine no issues with performance and i was returned 60+ going to London last WE.I also own a Mini Cooper John Cooper Works 1.6 l and with a six speed box and have work hard to get 36 mpg.
    As to a potential London ban i have already put my own in place.

Quote Originally Posted by watchlovr View Post
    My last 5 vehicles have been 3 pointed star and 5L+ types, I see no reason to change that now.

Ou household does 3k and 6k miles respectively however, it would therefore seem rude not to run such vehicles.

Diesels are truly horrid things, for tractors and taxis only.
    As long as your chauffeur is happy Mr. Trump.....

Got one of each.

When I used to do more miles (and in London) the diesel whacked any petrol driven vehicle of the same type for power and economy. I'd literally use half the fuel in the diesel compared to petrol.

I'd never buy one again though as I only do minuscule mileage nowadays.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    My company cars for the last few cars have been diesels and my newish Golf GTD is a diesel and it is a great car but if I had the choice I would have petrol as I just can't stand diesel cars!

Master
    I've had diesels for 20 years until last January when I got a Lexus Hybrid. The CVT gearbox works fine for me (I'm not a boy racer) and I am getting 52 mpg on petrol. I do about 14K a year, mostly on motorway commutes. I will stick with hybrids until such time as I can get an affordable electric car which has some style and a gives true 300 mile plus range between charge ups.

Rob

Diesel? Never have, never would. Even when I ran the car through the business.

Dirty, smelly alternatives. More expensive to buy, more expensive to repair (I refer to egine repairs) and apparently only some of us new all along they threw out dangerous carcinogenic crud.

Unfortunately, it would appear that a section of the community have been convinced they were being environmentally friendly.

However, like Andy A, it's difficult when the company only gives you a list of diesel options.

Quote Originally Posted by Slamdoor View Post
    Given the trend to ban them from city centres is likely to grow and that the govt. is waking up to the dangers of particulate emissions, would you chance it next time you change your car?
    Wouldn't entertain one. Diseasel is strictly for taxis, trucks and tractors. It's not the fuel of gentlemen.

And if I wanted cancer, I'd take up smoking.

I've mainly driven diesel since 1997 but I can see increased taxation looming and residual values falling, which is why I've just got rid of the diesel and replace it with petrol.

I know there's talk of banning diesels in city centre but with the majority of the pollution coming from taxis and buses, I can't see them banning those.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Would very much like a 530D, friend of mine gave me a lift in his, lovely car, smooth and powerful vehicle. Wouldn't let blind prejudice put me off..
    Last edited by sestrel; 23rd December 2016 at 16:57.

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    I've mainly driven diesel since 1997 but I can see increased taxation looming and residual values falling, which is why I've just got rid of the diesel and replace it with petrol. I know there's talk of banning diesels in city centre but with the majority of the pollution coming from taxis and buses, I can't see them banning those.
    Here, taxis are turning to hybrids, and city centre buses are electric.

Master
    Have just gone from a heavy, clunky VW diesel to a tiny turbocharged petrol. The current car is over 500kg in weight lighter than the diesel and providing I use a light touch with the right foot can get 57+ mpg over a decent run in the petrol car. The power:weight ratio is significantly up so if I do want to go briskly that is an option. No way would I go back to a diesel.

Grand Master
    I drive a Jag XF 3.0 diesel auto and I love it. Plenty fast enough for todays roads and, more importantly, bags of mind-range punch which is most useful in real-world driving. Regardless of the petrol v diesel arguments I`m a convert, 6 cylinder diesels are far smoother than 4s, and that makes a big difference.

However, there are two downsides. Turbo diesels seem to have a habit of giving trouble after a few years. The engines don`t break but the turbo/turbo control system does. I accept this, mentally I keep a £2K war chest to sort it out if it breaks.

The second downside is the pollution/diesel particulates issue. I firmly believe most governments/politicians jumped on the C02 bandwagon without really understanding the wider issues. Not surprisingly diesel cars have flourished, people voted with their wallets. Lower road tax and better fuel consumption won everyone over; the fact that they actually drive better than many petrol models is an added bonus. The diesel particulates issue was glossed over, and that was a mistake in my opinion.

We can do little to influence the CO2 problems, but we can mitigate pollution in built-up areas, that's something within our sphere of influence. As to how we move forward, I don`t have the answers; successive governments continued to back the wrong horse by promoting diesels.

Perhaps one answer is to start taxing diesels more harshly. Manufacturers manage to come up with fantastic CO2 figures based on pie in the sky MPG figures. Most diesels don`t get anywhere near the official figures, mine certainly doesn`t, but in my experience the petrol engines seem to give better agreement. Perhaps that's changed thesedays.

Personally I can`t get steamed up about any of it because I can`t change it. Politicians are the least capable people to understand complex technical issues but sadly they're the ones that make the decisions.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    Saying that diesel is so much more worse for our health than petrol is a bit like asking "what would you rather be chopped up with, a dagger or a sword?"
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Not long ago I bought the wife a 2 year old BMW 120D Sport. We weren't fussed over diesel or petrol, but the deal on the D was too good to pass up.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

I have an E220 diesel and an electric van. The wife's mini is a 2l petrol.

We actually get better economy from the mini (c 50mpg) whilst the merc does mid fourties.

I'll keep the diesel (now eleven years old) until a suitable electric car is released. The Jaguar ipace may be the one!

Had diesels for the last 20 years. I do 25+k a year, average consumption of the last year is 44mpg.

If a 5 series / e-class petrol saloon (real consumption figures) could come close, I might consider it.

Diesel vehicle prices seem to weakening with all the anti-diesel hype, I shall almost certainly be getting another in next 2 years.

From my limited knowledge, car manufacturers are producing smaller petrol engines with all manor of gizmos to provide sufficient power to the point where you now have not one but two turbos on 1.2 petrol engines and we wonder why they break down so often. I had always had petrol cars up until about 4 years ago, I'd only ever had small family hatchbacks; Ford Focus, VW golf, Honda Civic etc. I then bought a 3litre v6 tdi Audi A4. Wow, power, economy, effortless driving. It was a revelation. Don't know why people say it's smelly or dirty, it was fabulous. Currently have a seat estate 2.0tdi, plenty fast enough, great mpg. What's not to like?

I drive an automatic SLK 250 CDI BlueEfficiency AMG Sport.
    Hands down the best thing I've ever owned, will be gutted to see it go.
    Got a Tesla Model 3 reserved for the wife for 2018 - I'm at a loss for what to replace the Benz with.
    Can't possibly afford the kind of Tesla I'd like to replace it.

Changed cars this year going from a Volvo C70 D5 (2.4 180bhp TDI) to a Jag XF petrol. I tend to buy cars of a decent spec that have done their depreciating, and it struck me that the diesel market for my price range was all 2010 onwards models which seem to have become more complex and not necessarily more reliable. I can do without all the DPF and Adblue headaches. Doing 18k a year the choice of petrol vs diesel is not exactly clear cut. Opted for the 4.2 s/c V8 which has most definitely put the fun back into driving. Nothing against diesels having owned a few but for me right now petrol makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by jchlu View Post
    Got a Tesla Model 3 reserved for the wife for 2018 - I'm at a loss for what to replace the Benz with.
    Radical thought, I know, but why not keep the Benz?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jchlu View Post
    Had one prior to the E class cabriolet why not either keep it or lease/PCP another one?

Not really convinced about the whole electric car thing at the mo.

Kind of assume I won't be able to take it into city centres after a while, at least not without vegans chasing me with baseball bats made of hemp, and then it'll only be good for putting the roof down and planting vegetables in it.
    Leasing isn't a bad shout TBH.

Journeyman
    Yes, I chose diesel purely as an utilitarian and economical commuting tool (36K km a year), it just makes sense to save thousands euros a year. SEAT Ibiza 1.4L turbo 3 cyl. Incredibly frugal.

Otherwise I stick to petrol for fun and enjoyment at the weekend and holiday journeys. BMW 330 (6 cyl. NA) or SEAT Leon Cupra (4 cyl. turbo).

Quote Originally Posted by JonRA View Post
    I've just bought a Honda Civic Type R - the turbo vtec one. It has a thumping mid range and top end - though not too economical!

ATB

Jon
    I very nearly bought a Type R last month but the fuel consumption put me off and didn't need quite the speed.... great car though! I settled on a 1.8 Type S iVtec petrol in the end and getting about 40 mpg local driving and it's still no slouch when you need it. Brilliant car.

Craftsman
    My current car is a Diesel, and whilst it's not the fastest car I've owned, it's probably the best all rounder. The mid range and overtaking power are immense, and it returns an average of 30mpg.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    two diesel Yeti's here as main cars

France is full of diesel cars

Quote Originally Posted by BillN View Post
    France is full of diesel cars
    Speaks volumes.

I bought a new VW GT TDI earlier this year and it's perfect for the use it gets. I drive a diesel A4 estate most days, but if I want fun I'll take the petrol car, or one of the motorbikes.
    It's just a matter of time...