closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Property ownership Land registry search

Property ownership Land registry search

For reasons I won't bore you with, I'm keen to determine whether an individual I am dealing with owns property. Had a quick look at the Land Registry website and can't see any way to search by owner name, does anyone know if an enquiry of this nature is even possible?

Master
    I'm not sure but I don't think you can search by name rather you need to know the address of the property and pay to see the extract from the title register which will detail the owner.

Same as above

I asked my solicitor to do this some years ago regarding an individual and she said that it couldnt be done by name - only property address

Craftsman
    It is possible to search land registry by name but there are very few reasons why you would be allowed to do so. Probate, Bankruptcy or similar, and also bear in mind people may share their name with others.
    Last edited by Neil T; 22nd December 2016 at 17:40. Reason: Auto correct grrr

What if he owns property through a company?

Craftsman
    You can search for company names, and also against your own name.

Many thanks all I did suspect this would not be readily achieveable, but thought I would check!

Easy enough to contact Land Registry.
    Things to note
    Not all property is on the register.
    If you request an extract you need to pay.
    You can easily do it by address or by proximity if it's a parcel of land.

Quote Originally Posted by aldfort View Post
    Easy enough to contact Land Registry.
    Things to note
    Not all property is on the register.
    Coincidentally I've been trying to find a sold price for a property I know sold, but doesn't show up on any website; Net House Prices, Right Move, Zoopla etc or on Land Registry. However the previous sale from 1995 does on all searches. It's a leasehold and whilst other leasehold properties on the same street appear I wondered if there was a reason why this one doesn't? I could pay £3 to Land Registry but I think that's only going to give me the 1995 details

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt.D View Post
    Coincidentally I've been trying to find a sold price for a property I know sold, but doesn't show up on any website; Net House Prices, Right Move, Zoopla etc or on Land Registry. However the previous sale from 1995 does on all searches. It's a leasehold and whilst other leasehold properties on the same street appear I wondered if there was a reason why this one doesn't? I could pay £3 to Land Registry but I think that's only going to give me the 1995 details
    May have been sold but not yet registered, and some data is excluded from the Zoopla etc data, in particular repossessions.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil T View Post
    May have been sold but not yet registered, and some data is excluded from the Zoopla etc data, in particular repossessions.
    You can apply to Land Registry to have some details kept private AFAIK. Particularly if it was a private sale. Same system as you use to put restrictions on a title. Costs about £40

Lots of people and public web sites collect price data but it's very incomplete. Paid services are often a bit better.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt.D View Post
    Call them.

They won't tell you information form the registry, but they will confirm when the last entry was and whether it's worth downloading the entry or if it's not yet been updated.

Downloading the entry is only £3 so you could just do it online.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by aldfort View Post
    You can apply to Land Registry to have some details kept private AFAIK. Particularly if it was a private sale. Same system as you use to put restrictions on a title. Costs about £40

Lots of people and public web sites collect price data but it's very incomplete. Paid services are often a bit better.
    Interesting if this is the case, I work for a lot of high net worth property investors and non resi investors and they can't keep their info private on land registry.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by funkstar View Post
    Interesting if this is the case, I work for a lot of high net worth property investors and non resi investors and they can't keep their info private on land registry.
    There's no mechanism for people to withhold the price paid, there are ways to redact certain parts of documents but the price paid will still appear.

Quote Originally Posted by funkstar View Post
    I buy (heavily discounted) new properties from large developers when they are desperate to liquidate stock. Details of these transactions are not usually acessible from the Land Registry. I have no idea how this is achieved but I think that transactions with housing associations are similarly suppressed.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    a full and detailed list of land owners and any property/land holdings they have can be found here - http://www.landregistry-titledeeds.co.uk/order-online/?docs=title-register

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    a full and detailed list of land owners and any property/land holdings they have can be found here - http://www.landregistry-titledeeds.co.uk/order-online/?docs=title-register
    Which reminds me, there are quite a few folks out there more than willing to charge over the odds for info. If you want the info head to the www.gov.uk website. Ah-ha

Thanks for all the info, the property in question we believe was last sold between 2007 and 2010. I'm interested to see if it it's still in the same hands, but the only sales data I can see is from 1995 (which is what puzzles me the most) and the LR website seems to back that up too. I'll do as funkstar suggests and call them in the new year.