closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Artificially Aged Watches

Master

Artificially Aged Watches

Got an email from Gnomon this morning and was utterly baffled by this:
    http://www.gnomonwatches.com/watches...rborn-erbstuck

Now it's horses-for-courses, and each to their own, but I simply cannot fathom why anyone would want to pay not-insignificant coin for something that looks like it's been repeatedly thrown against a brick wall and then buried in the garden for years. Patina is one thing, and I'm fond of a nicely aged dial, but this just looks knackered. And the fact it's both deliberate and artificial? 'Niche appeal' doesn't even come close...

SGR

I agree, totally stupid.

"rust, dents and scratches by a special team of craftsmen"

Presumably they all used to work at British Leyland.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kungfugerbil View Post
    "rust, dents and scratches by a special team of craftsmen"

Presumably they all used to work at British Leyland.

I have a watch that has aged lume, but I don't see any reason why buy a new watch that looks beaten like that one.

Craftsman
    For me some vintage watch are great, but must be in mint condition

Master
    I can't even agree with a modern "vintage" watch, with yellow lume etc. This is just absurd and that description is laughable.

This picture amused me the most

Not even any consistency. "Aged" even numbers, pristine and bright odd numbers.

If I owned that I'd either have to lie as to its age and history, else I imagine the only thought the asking party would have is that it's either a crap watch because the lume is falling to bits on the hands and it's already rusty etc, or that I'm a damn hipster.

Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    Not even any consistency. "Aged" even numbers, pristine and bright odd numbers.
    Actually, that is correct, the odd numerals weren't lumed and thus wouldn't age

Master
    Well, if you like the effect, you can always create it yourself, without having to pay craftsmen a small fortune to create it! Actually I quite like a watch that shows its had some life and not been babied absurdly, but buying it ready-weathered strikes me as the height of fakery!

Master
    Reminds me of when I was 18 and bought my first proper biker jacket......far to new and shiney so stuck a bungee cord through the sleeve and dragged it down the road....

Nicely scuffed like a proper bikers jacket....😈😈

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Actually, that is correct, the odd numerals weren't lumed and thus wouldn't age
    Interesting, thanks, my mistake. In that case I simply don't like the aesthetics of that dial although that's rather irrelevant.

Moronic, but then I like to keep an open mind. Can anyone explain the appeal or reasoning behind buying this?

Quote Originally Posted by dice View Post
    Moronic, but then I like to keep an open mind. Can anyone explain the appeal or reasoning behind buying this?
    I guess it's just a 'thing' , people buy pre aged look jeans and even add rust and dents to cars for the 'rat look'.
    Not for me though.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    I guess it's just a 'thing' , people buy pre aged look jeans and even add rust and dents to cars for the 'rat look'.
    Not for me though.
    Yup. It's just another fashion that oldies like us don't get and won't like.

"Relic" guitars have been a thing for twenty odd years.

Fender Custom shop charge more for them and are very popular...

Let's face it, most people nowadays buy pre-worn jeans, some with holes!

Rat rods are popular in the hot rod scene.

It's only a matter of time before pre-worn watches will be de rigeur.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

That baby-poo lume doesn't even look like lume does when it ages.

Bloody horrible fad, imo...

I'm not surprised a Steinhart and the like doing it (if you're selling lookalikey Subs then adding faux vintageness is but a small step), but I'm more than a little disappointed at Omega for doing so...

M.
    Last edited by snowman; 19th December 2016 at 16:19.

As mentioned you can already buy distressed looking clothing, musical instruments and home furnishings. And now watches.

Next thing you know they'll be soaking dials in tea and baking bezels in the oven.
    F.T.F.A.

Master
    Shocking....

Journeyman
    The issue for me is not the look of age but the attempt to 'fake' it. My favourite bicycles still live on their original paint – scratches, rust and all. But I'd rather repaint or actually buy new than try to dial some fake years of use into something. Same goes for the ratlook car scene IMO – preserved can look lovely but making panels rust is beyond me.

There was a great quote from Kevin McCloud about preservation versus restoration that basically suggested you respray 'where necessary to look beautiful from six feet away, cherished from three and authentic from six inches.' But anyway I fear I may have digressed...

Craftsman
    In all fairness, Laco also offers non-aged versions of these watches, so there's something for everyone. Those of us who don't want an "aged" watch have an alternative. I don't want one either, but any watch manufacturer is in it for money and will likely produce what can sell. And there's a market for "aged" watches, guitars etc.. Even Leica began to make laquered M cameras again in later years because the laquer wears off easier than their "black chrome" finish so the camera will faster take on the look of a worn war photogs camera. To each his own.
    Last edited by Leif; 20th December 2016 at 07:44.

Am willing to offer (for a small fee of course) my services to lovingly pre age and slightly distress any deepsea or vintage yatchmasters which happen to look just that bit too new.

It is a task i would take seriously and could guarantee i'd wear said watches whilst training, gardening, decorating.

For a small supplement I would even consider wearing same whilst working on my car or as a medical service engineer.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbaddes View Post
    Am willing to offer (for a small fee of course) my services to lovingly pre age and slightly distress any deepsea or vintage yatchmasters which happen to look just that bit too new.
    I'm sure I couldn't afford your services........anyway, if it catches on, it sounds like a major business opportunity for Jocke, who has demonstrated a great talent to produce authentic distressed looking DJs!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Next thing you know they'll be soaking dials in tea and baking bezels in the oven.
    LOL LOL LOL

Grand Master
    Looks ridiculous to me, I'm dead against any faux ageing on new stuff.

Utter crap IMO.

Paul

Master
    Hipsters only need apply !

Looks expensive for the specification.

Master
    It's quite embarrassing. Definitely a hipster thing

I guess people wil make up a story of the cool little antique shop they saw it in while backpacking through Europe etc. Cringe.

Master
    Blog Entries
    This is a massive bug bear of mine.

Old, battered stuff looks cool. However, unless you've owned it since it was shiny and new, then you are cheating the system. Patina should tell a story. It will age with you and become a bit of a history book for your life. Perhaps the watch is the ultimate example of this as most people wear one over the course of many years. Finding an old diver in a bar wearing a battered 1665 or some pilot flying out of the South American jungle with an old GMT on his wrist is an appealing thing.

But people don't want to put the work in today. Everything is too quick and on demand. History as been overlooked for fashion.

It's part of the reason I don't do the whole vintage thing. I've nothing against an old watch but I'd much rather it had picked up it's battle scars whilst on my wrist.

This sort of tat takes it to another level. Buy one of these watches, some distressed clothing and a faux aged guitar and you can sit in a bar thinking you look road weary and interesting.
    You don't. You look like a try hard, hipster moron, (along with all the other hipster morons in the place), whilst the real old guys, the ones that have worn their stuff out over a life well lived are back at your flat giving your missus one.

The hysterics displayed here put a smile on my face. It is just a look.
    If not for you,look away and don't buy.
    No need to get your panties all bunched up:-)

Any different to non-divers wearing divers watches?

City types wearing brown brogue's and driving Land rovers,

Deck shoes when not on a boat?

Trainers,,,,, by now you probably get the idea.

Some folk will spend time and money seeking out the genuine grubby looking watch, some others are just as happy to simply spend the money, is it for me, nope I'll pass thanks, but the limp wristed metrosexual in the lumberjack shirt would probably scratch your eyes out for one.

I can't even stand the "slightly brown aged lume effect" on new watches, eg. Oris 65 etc etc. It's naff because it's fake. Further to that, if I have scratches, worn lume and the rest, I'd happily get it fixed at service time. I like all my watches looking like new.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    Reminds me of when I was 18 and bought my first proper biker jacket......far to new and shiney so stuck a bungee cord through the sleeve and dragged it down the road....

Nicely scuffed like a proper bikers jacket....
    I did that!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    This is a massive bug bear of mine.

Old, battered stuff looks cool. However, unless you've owned it since it was shiny and new, then you are cheating the system. Patina should tell a story. It will age with you and become a bit of a history book for your life. Perhaps the watch is the ultimate example of this as most people wear one over the course of many years. Finding an old diver in a bar wearing a battered 1665 or some pilot flying out of the South American jungle with an old GMT on his wrist is an appealing thing.

But people don't want to put the work in today. Everything is too quick and on demand. History as been overlooked for fashion.

It's part of the reason I don't do the whole vintage thing. I've nothing against an old watch but I'd much rather it had picked up it's battle scars whilst on my wrist.

This sort of tat takes it to another level. Buy one of these watches, some distressed clothing and a faux aged guitar and you can sit in a bar thinking you look road weary and interesting.
    You don't. You look like a try hard, hipster moron, (along with all the other hipster morons in the place), whilst the real old guys, the ones that have worn their stuff out over a life well lived are back at your flat giving your missus one.
    Amen to the sentiment, although you've just reminded me to call my wife...

SGR

Grand Master
    Nice one Dave!

I don`t really 'get' the hipster thing, we get a few youngsters with scraggy beards in my area but that's about it.

Interesting point about vintage watches and someone else's patina; maybe that's another reason why I like old watches to look close to new condition as they did when they were first sold. I`m far happier with a correctly restored watch than something covered in scratches that looks like it's been in a washing machine.

Paul

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Nice one Dave!

I don`t really 'get' the hipster thing, we get a few youngsters with scraggy beards in my area but that's about it.

Interesting point about vintage watches and someone else's patina; maybe that's another reason why I like old watches to look close to new condition as they did when they were first sold. I`m far happier with a correctly restored watch than something covered in scratches that looks like it's been in a washing machine.

Paul
    You could also call it the watches patina. If someone is buying a vintage piece partly because of its history then fair play. Some people may like that the watch has a backstory and are the ones to take it through to its next chapter

When something is made to look like it's got some history is a bit silly and pointless IMO. The pricing is a bit crazy also, mind you, I'm half expecting CW to come out with something with 'history' now!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveR View Post
    When something is made to look like it's got some history is a bit silly and pointless IMO. The pricing is a bit crazy also, mind you, I'm half expecting CW to come out with something with 'history' now!
    Ahem. Can't afford an issued watch? Not a problem, buy a sliver of cockpit instead. It even has "museum grade" sapphire to remind you of the historical significance...

https://www.christopherward.co.uk/ow...ofhistory.html

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    Ahem. Can't afford an issued watch? Not a problem, buy a sliver of cockpit instead. It even has "museum grade" sapphire to remind you of the historical significance...

https://www.christopherward.co.uk/ow...ofhistory.html
    Ah, shock horror! CW always ahead of the game

Journeyman
    The only thing that could bring me around to the idea of a 'road worn' guitar was the fact that when you got your first ding on it, it wouldn't hurt so much. In saying that, I'd not buy one - if it's going to have dings, I want to be the one who put them there. I really don't know why you'd want to own something that looks like someone treated it like crap, then suckered you into buying it at a mark up. Next it'll be watches that are so heavily aged they only tell the correct time twice a day...

There's only one way for something to age, all else is silly pretence.......

F.T.F.A.

Just couldn't do it! Do like a vintage watch with character, but this is just fake...

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    There's only one way for something to age, all else is silly pretence.......

Nice one Bob!

Apparently Rory's Strat spent some time in a muddy ditch after it was stolen - but he got it back.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

I'll swim against the squealing outrage - I like it. I have artificially aged bags, jeans, leather jackets, why not a watch? Not everything I own is artifically beaten up, but sometimes it's a look, a bit like being an office boy who doesn't shave at the weekend. Am I hipster? No.

Would I buy it; no. But I might if I was in the market for such a Flieger watch. The whole thing is a throwback, it may as well fully look the part. No-one is going to to think your uncle Fritz passed it down to you after the war FFS.

Its all the rage

My daughter tells me that a lot of young folk are dying their hair grey

If only BHS were still open they could buy some elasticated crimplene slacks and zip up booties for the full effect

Whatever is wrong with your life that you feel the need to buy pre-knackered goods is not going to be cured by buying pre-knackered goods, you're still going to be living a plastic life, no matter how much spray-on reality you chuck at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Whatever is wrong with your life that you feel the need to buy pre-knackered goods is not going to be cured by buying pre-knackered goods, you're still going to be living a plastic life, no matter how much spray-on reality you chuck at it.
    I think people often feel trapped in high tech environment and want a tangible link to the past - even if it is a fake past.

Plenty of people on here with artificially aged leather jackets, jeans etc.

Watches are just the next step.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

I seem to be able to age mine all by myself without even trying. It's one of my few talents.

Journeyman
    Too much for me! Who would even want the skeletonized hand, vintage or not. LOL