closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Fake Panerai on Ebay

Fake Panerai on Ebay

You might take the view that anyone daft enough to spend £6999 on this deserves what they get but I thought I'd report it to eBay.
    I've also send him a polite message giving the seller the bad news that he is holding a fake.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BOXED-Offi...-/322358950998

Master
    What are the characteristics that make this a fake?

Scarcely any seller feedback, priced much lower than Chrono24 examples, no papers, BT and F2f collection only option

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    What are the characteristics that make this a fake?
    2 things jump out straight away, the finishing on the movement is poor, nothing like a real P9000, also the Chonometer certificate is fake, as the P9000 is not a chronometer certified movement

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    2 things jump out straight away, the finishing on the movement is poor, nothing like a real P9000, also the Chonometer certificate is fake, as the P9000 is not a chronometer certified movement
    Thanks. Always useful to learn these kinds of things, even if a Panerai will most likely never enter my stable.

See his feedback, all very low value items, seems to have bought about 10 BMW bonnet badge stickers and has bought items that only exist to bump up feedback like this;

Screw Bolt 1P PENNY FREE NO RESERVE AUCTION COLLECTION ONLY 1p Penny (#322117861651)

Hes a bad 'un.

Master
    I'm not sure I understand why people would look to spend £7k on a watch seen on eBay. If you're spending that type of money then surely you'd want to do it safe in the knowledge it's at least legit or you have some cover should things go sour.

Nice shout on the certificate. Another note about fakes then, why if you're hoping to lure someone into spending £7k on a watch wouldn't you do your research and get all bases covered.

Has this been reports/seller messaged?

Quote Originally Posted by SteveR View Post
    Has this been reports/seller messaged?
    I've reported it to eBay and sent him the following...

Sorry to have to break this to you but this is not a genuine Panerai.
    If you check the movement through the case back vs. those on the Panerai website you can see that is it not the same. It has different parts and a different orientation in the case.
    Rather than getting into legal difficulty by selling it on here you should take the matter up with whoever sold it to you.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TimeThoughts View Post
    See his feedback, all very low value items, seems to have bought about 10 BMW bonnet badge stickers and has bought items that only exist to bump up feedback like this;

Screw Bolt 1P PENNY FREE NO RESERVE AUCTION COLLECTION ONLY 1p Penny (#322117861651)

Hes a bad 'un.
    Indeed, but things like asking for f2f, bank transfer, feedback, price etc might be a strong indication, but in no way constitute proof, just suspicion.

Journeyman
    You buy it then and let us know how you get on

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by IanV View Post
    You buy it then and let us know how you get on
    You seemed to have missed the point. I was asking for the facts behind why this is a fake, which nunya was kind enough to explain. I wouldn't buy something from such a seller, but low post count, a cheaper price etc are not actual proof that the item is fake.

If this a fake,it is a good spot.I would never buy from someone with such low feedback but the listing itself wouldn't have alarmed me. Pictures of the case back are poor,may be intentionally so.

Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    You seemed to have missed the point. I was asking for the facts behind why this is a fake, which nunya was kind enough to explain. I wouldn't buy something from such a seller, but low post count, a cheaper price etc are not actual proof that the item is fake.
    Neither his post nor mine in a similar vein were presented as proof. The thread contains posts other than those directly answering your question, merely more generally following up on the OP.

I didn't realise fakers were copying the in-house Panerai range. Just compared the movement pics to the p.9000 in my PAM351 and there are plenty of little differencs, but there are also quite a few similarities, including some of the screw placement, as well as the obvious printing on plate and rotor which looks pretty good. MCH is absolutely right about the orientation of the movement, but I can easily see someone who's not fanatical about watches being duped.
    Last edited by trisdg; 18th December 2016 at 16:33.

I really do hope not...

Probably sold it to a fake account of his or a mate of his... keep the reputation up he knew well it was a fake

From a distance it looked very good - the fakes are getting better all the time...
    the balance wheel was way too small compared the the real P9000
    plus up close and in person you would have had a feel that it was fake if you've handled real ones at he AD
    so a good reason to go and play with them new even if you have no intention to buy from the AD - if you're planning on getting a used one eventually