closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Watches with permanent lumes?

Master

Watches with permanent lumes?

I believe that most watches (Rolex included) have lumes that need recharging in daylight to be effective. Unfortunately for me my DJ looses the glow after about an hour and I gather that none would last the night. Is this true? Am looking also at Ball watches that use a gas to provide permanent illumination like this http://www.ballwatch.com/global/1/co...-bk---456.html
    Are they any good and are there alternatives?

Master
    Plenty of my watches have lume which lasts the night. Otherwise I would have no reason to wear them in bed.

Grand Master
    Why not get a digital clock for the side of the bed and forget about watch lume etc.

Of all the features a watch may or may not have, the strength of the lume is probably the lowest of priorities for me. I`m more interested in how good (or bad) the watch looks. Unless you really need the lume it's all a bit pointless.

Paul

Ball watches are great and very well made. Just don't pay anywhere near list and you can't go wrong.

There are some cheaper options that also use Tritium tubes, luminox comes to mind but there are more.
    Last edited by catflap; 11th December 2016 at 17:16.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Why not get a digital clock for the side of the bed and forget about watch lume etc.

Of all the features a watch may or may not have, the strength of the lume is probably the lowest of priorities for me. I`m more interested in how good (or bad) the watch looks. Unless you really need the lume it's all a bit pointless.

Paul
    +1
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Blog Entries
    Get a traser p6500 or marathon navi

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    +1
    +2

Plus, wearing in bed just adds to any bracelet stretch.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Craftsman
    Seen adverts for Nitewatches, but I'm don't know of anyone who has had one so can't attest for their quality. They've got 'tritium' also.
    I was wondering whether the liquid in HYT watches was luminous? because it looks like it should be in the pictures I remember seeing on Blog to watch or worn and wound.

Another vote for Ball watches

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

My Seiko PADI has typical amazing Seiko long-lasting lume just around 10-15 seconds in front of the bedside lamp and superb lume that easily lasts 6-7 hours.

Master

Paul
    Lume adds to the looks for me. But if were all about looks, I'd just buy high end quartz for a fraction of the price.

Craftsman
    Nite watches do indeed have tritium tubes, nearly sufficient light to read by! Cheers, John B

Master
    My Seiko has superb lume. Outside in sunlight for a few minutes then go inside it genuinely looks beautiful all lit up!

I fell asleep wearing my watch the other night. Felt very weird walking up with it on. Part of my morning routine is my son running in, shouting roar to wake me up and passing me the watch.

I appreciate a good lume.
    I have had a few Ball watches, and still do have a couple, and I have always found that the tritium tubes really do the business/ My Master Engineer II diver is coming up to 10 years old now and still cuts the mustard.
    Being one of the more senior TZUK members, but still enjoying the odd pint or two, I now realise why they are called the wee small hours.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I sleep with a rechargeable head torch on, works fine, but has started pissing of the missus a bit.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    I sleep with a rechargeable head torch on, works fine, but has started pissing of the missus a bit.
    Women eh !

Quote Originally Posted by Boeingdriver View Post
    My Seiko PADI has typical amazing Seiko long-lasting lume just around 10-15 seconds in front of the bedside lamp and superb lume that easily lasts 6-7 hours.
    If you want great long-lasting lume it's difficult not to mention Seiko. I too have a PADI and can confirm what Boeingdriver says. I also have a Baby Tuna that's even brighter!

Strangely (since Seiko owns them) a lot of Orients (including my Mako XL) have pathetic lume...

Simon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tritium tubes cause the lume to glow all day and night.

They are not as bright as a good fully charged conventionally lumed watch is initially, but within a couple of hours they take the lead, and just keep going.

The lume is more than good enough on my 10yr old Tritium powered KHS Commando that I can read it any time of night; usually 3:30 when I wake up for no apparent reason ;-)

The only problem is that most Tritium watches (with the exception of Ball) look like they fell out of a Christmas Cracker, the styling is just so cheap and "Action Man".

Quote Originally Posted by Gren View Post
    Tritium tubes cause the lume to glow all day and night.

They are not as bright as a good fully charged conventionally lumed watch is initially, but within a couple of hours they take the lead, and just keep going.

The lume is more than good enough on my 10yr old Tritium powered KHS Commando that I can read it any time of night; usually 3:30 when I wake up for no apparent reason ;-)

The only problem is that most Tritium watches (with the exception of Ball) look like they fell out of a Christmas Cracker, the styling is just so cheap and "Action Man".
    Marathon watches also use them, not too sure about some of their cheaper ones they look similar to your "Christmas cracker" description but the divers watches seem to be well thought of.

Another vote for Ball from me.

They are the core of my smallish collection. A dressy gold one for business/work travel and a steel one for everyday/weekends.

As a chronic insomniac they are perfect for me, espectially across time zones when sleep is at a premium.

I'm quite sure they don't hold their value as well as Defaultex steel sports watches but then neither do Breguet and IWC so I had no problem paying list for them as it's not like they are super expensive anyway.

Master
    Is she okay with the canary and pasty?

Master

Paul
    Understood but I'm fed up with trying to read a watch in the dark whilst out and about, easpecially in winter when the watch will seldom be exposed to any light at all as it's under cover. I'm not in the habit of exposing my wrist to a bright light for an hour or so before going out at night although it's an option. Maybe a Ball or certain Seiko should be de regueur for winter months!

Quote Originally Posted by Slamdoor View Post
    Understood but I'm fed up with trying to read a watch in the dark whilst out and about, easpecially in winter when the watch will seldom be exposed to any light at all as it's under cover. I'm not in the habit of exposing my wrist to a bright light for an hour or so before going out at night although it's an option. Maybe a Ball or certain Seiko should be de regueur for winter months!
    Horses for courses I agree.

For me Lume is a high priority, and so that's where it is on my list of must haves...

For others clearly not so much.

Blog Entries
    What about a lume dialled damasko?

It seems to me that Trit tubes have the edge in certain situations, but suffer from the limitations of having to use glass tubes.
    So some of the Ball dial numerals made from tubes look (to my eye) ludicrously crude.
    And bear in mind that Trit still has a half life (12 1/2 years), so the performance will degrade over time.
    I am not sure that the highest performing luminous materials have been around long enough to be able to compare their evenutal degradation with the degradation of trit.
    But even now in December good lume can work all nght, my humble Armida is still bright at 3 am this time of year, without me having to expose it at all other than normal wear. It is better in that respect than the Seiko SUN019 that I had, although that was good. My Pelagos is excellent too.
    I personally choose good lume over trit.
    D

One that I don't think has been mentioned yet is the Doxa 800Ti. It is available in both Sharkhunter (black) and Professional (orange) dials.

Master
    Where the heck do you go at night where it's so dark there isn't any light at all?

Sounds most sinister

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by logan2z View Post
    One that I don't think has been mentioned yet is the Doxa 800Ti. It is available in both Sharkhunter (black) and Professional (orange) dials.

+1

"I approve this message"

Quote Originally Posted by logan2z View Post

So is the lume good on these and is it conventional or Tritium?

Simon

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    Where the heck do you go at night where it's so dark there isn't any light at all?

Sounds most sinister
    Never visited the countryside? :)

I can see tubes on that Doxa. And I must say I like the style. I do hope it doesn't lead to another purchase.

Master

Sounds most sinister
    Anywhere without street lights!!

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    So is the lume good on these and is it conventional or Tritium?

Simon

The Doxa uses Tritium tubes. Here's a photo I found comparing the Superluminova on the Doxa 1000T (left) to the Tritium tubes on the 800Ti (right). The luminova is initially brighter but will fade over time while the Tritium tubes will continue to glow at the same brightness.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    Never visited the countryside? :)
    Yes I live there, if you're out at night and can see where you are going, you can see your watch lume or no lume.

- - - Updated - - -

Anywhere without street lights!!
    if you can see where you are going, you can see your watch lume or no lume.

Master
    Yes I live there, if you're out at night and can see where you are going, you can see your watch lume or no lume.

- - - Updated - - -

if you can see where you are going, you can see your watch lume or no lume.
    Agreed - I can see my watch, but not necessarily the time it's displaying which is the point of the thread really.

My 5600 series G-shock illuminates in the dark automatically when you tilt it to look at it. It's also the only watch I would wear in bed - I shudder at the thought of smacking my Sub against the brass bedstead (not that it has any lume left). I'm also practically blind without specs so the mobile phone is another device in use for getting the time during the night.

You might also just sleep better if you had a clear conscience...

Master
    Blog Entries
    Agreed - I can see my watch, but not necessarily the time it's displaying which is the point of the thread really.
    You don't need to blast the watch for an hour, shining a torch on your watch for 5-10seconds would be enough. Certainly enough for an Omega or Seiko.

I have always worn a watch in bed - if I wake up, I can quickly check if it's time to get up. I think I started when my children were babies and I never knew if it was the middle of the night or time to wake up! Anyhow, I have a little ritual before I go to bed. Just before I turn off the kitchen lights I hold my watch under the kitchen counter lights - in my old house strip lights, in my new house led's - literally for 10 seconds and any of my watches will then be legible all night. I can't be doing with a digital at night - even though I have a few! - as I need to peer at the time and I'm sure the light wakes me up a little (!?) - so a Seiko or my Sinn U1 make it easy to tell the time at a glance all night. I never worry about banging my watch on the bedstead, not that bothered about a little 'wabi'!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bond View Post
    What about a lume dialled damasko?
    My DA37 was, by far, the most legible watch in the dark that I have owned.

Master
    Both Seiko divers I own last about 8 hours :)

My Pelagos runs all night and is very bright (visible through a top sheet), matches my old 1970's Ploprof which was also excellent.
    Keith

Master
    Blog Entries
    Another vote for Seiko for me - all the divers I have owned have been legible throughout the night.

ATB

Jon