closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Watchmaker screwdrivers and tools?

Watchmaker screwdrivers and tools?

I have a cheap set which I've just realised are made of cheese. Trying to get the screws out of a bracelet, the tip has shredded. Not good!

I've had a dig on the bay and amazon, but only seem to find cheapo sets at £3 to £10 or the real deal Bergeron ones that are £60.

Question is, are there any in the middle market, where you get the best value for money?

Also, my Bro-in-law has asked for a "watchmakers tool kit" so a recommendation on similar terms would be great.

Master
    Going through the exact same search at the moment. From what I've seen so far, AF Swiss offer the best value for "proper" screwdrivers. I'll be ordering some myself - around £22 for a set of 4 from Cousins.

Craftsman
    Sorry, Jumping on this thread! I need a decent strap changing tool, does anyone have any good recommendations.

Craftsman
    Buy the best you can afford.

The shape of the tip is very important though, for Rolex bracelets the slot is very wide so unless you hollow grind the tip you will need to file it down. This is so you contact both sides of the slot with the tip and you won't damage the screw, break the tip or slip out, so a very fine watchmakers file or stone (indian etc.) is essential too.

Depends what you're after Greg - one option is to buy A*F or Bergeon tips and use your existing driver bodies. They often come in packs of 10, so can get a bit OTT if you need lots of sizes.

Quote Originally Posted by SNA View Post
    Sorry, Jumping on this thread! I need a decent strap changing tool, does anyone have any good recommendations.
    Just for spring bars? I'd recommend the Bergeon 6767F (£8.50 from Cousins) plus a couple of spare pin/fork ends.

Even if you get a cheap tool, the Bergeon ends should fit.

Grand Master
    Another vote for the AF sets from Cousins, they're the ones I use. They're not perfect for movement work because the blades aren' t hollow ground, but I find them OK. As soon as the blades get slightly damaged I bin them and fit a new one at around 50p each.

When taking screws out of bracelets always use a little heat to soften any loctite that may be present. Failure to do this can result in damaged or broken screws, the better the fit of the screwdriver the more chance of snapping the screw. If it ain't moving heat it........or better still heat it first.

The bergeon springbar tool is another 'must', well worth the money. Don't forget a couple of eyeglasses, it's a whole lot easier to do these jobs using a magnifier. I started off with the cheap ones and I still find them OK.

And another thing..........Always work on a tray for obvious reasons.

Paul

I can echo the above, A*F screwdrivers are fine for the likes of an watch owner to carry out the simple tasks of adjusting bracelets etc, the Bergeon 6767F is the best spring bar tool available, period, and its not expensive, there is also a smaller tipped version, 6767S.

Journeyman

Lightbulb

Tweezer for newer watches w/o lug-holes (Rolex). A cheaper alternative to the rare Rolex Ref. 3200 Tweezer or the expensive Bergeon pincet. I have not bought it myself, as i dont mind screwing the bracelet open, taping the case and removing the bracelet with a normal spring bar tool. This should do the job, quick, safe and pain-free, but at a hefty price.

Regine Swiss made stainless steel.
    http://www.watch-tool.de/html/bracel....php?id=0090dv

Whatever you do, don't buy this one..

http://www.watch-tool.de/html/bracel....php?id=0090eg

I had, and found it cumbersome to use, and increased the chances of scratches to the underside of the lugs so gave it away in a forums competition.

Journeyman
    Oh ! Thank you for the heads up, my apologies . The ones used in AD's are the Ref. 3200 tool, but it is hard to come by. You need a good relationship to an AD that has a good relationship with Rolex to source this tool.

Journeyman
    I have a brilliant set which are RS components own (and midget spanners too), if I didn't I'd be buying Facom micro-tech.
    Check out some of the stuff here;
    http://www.expert-toolstore.com/50-f...rewdrivers?p=9
    Last edited by dobbsie; 11th December 2016 at 16:02.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by me32dc View Post
    Buy the best you can afford.

The shape of the tip is very important though, for Rolex bracelets the slot is very wide so unless you hollow grind the tip you will need to file it down. This is so you contact both sides of the slot with the tip and you won't damage the screw, break the tip or slip out, so a very fine watchmakers file or stone (indian etc.) is essential too.
    Correct! If doing these jobs frequently it pays to have a screwdriver with a blade that's specially dressed for the job. Using one that's too fine results in the contact area being too small, increasing the risk of damaging the screwdriver or marking the screwhead.

Paul

Yep, as mentioned previously A+F Swiss are very good quality screwdrivers at a reasonable price.

I've got the set on the carousel which makes it very easy to move up/down a size and keep an eye on your spare heads. Colour coded too.

Also the Bergeon 6767F spring bar tool that I have used hundreds of times. The pusher and fork ends are replaceable.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Some good examples there. Where would you recommend purchasing the AF carousel?

On a separate note the little screwdriver that comes on the corkscrew on the Victorinox Swiss Army knife is a perfect fit for the bracelet screws on my Datejust.

Thanks guys, that's great.

Excellent tip, to heat the bracelet up! I did have a job getting the screws out for the Seamaster bracelet. Bent two of my cheap screwdrivers.

I shall order a set of the AF ones from cousins.

Don't forget a big old knife

Was at the Edgware shopping centre today and saw a guy on one those central stalls trying to open the case back on a ladies watch with a big humongous knife. Was safety conscious though, pointed the blade away from him

Quote Originally Posted by ODP View Post
    Some good examples there. Where would you recommend purchasing the AF carousel?
    Bought mine from Cousins quite a few years ago now.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    Yep, as mentioned previously A+F Swiss are very good quality screwdrivers at a reasonable price.

I've got the set on the carousel which makes it very easy to move up/down a size and keep an eye on your spare heads. Colour coded too.

Also the Bergeon 6767F spring bar tool that I have used hundreds of times. The pusher and fork ends are replaceable.
    Please link a place to get the carousel+screwdrivers :)

Quote Originally Posted by Danishman View Post
    Please link a place to get the carousel+screwdrivers :)
    The links above are overpriced or not the same.

This is where I got mine.

https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/af...el-9-pieces-rs
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Journeyman
    Perfect, not the best layout I've seen on a website

I just need some basic quality tools which can handle different sized flat head screws, and the A*F is very reasonably priced.

My basket:

I would avoid the Bergeon screwdrivers- for tight screws on bracelets they are utter crap.

Grand Master
    Bergeon screwdrivers are probably the best out there........ I suspect the problem was something other than the screwdriver.

Bracelet screws need heat to soften the loctite; Ideally they need a screwdriver with a fairly broad blade and that involves dressing the blade correctly to get a snug fit.

If a bracelet screw is tight the last thing you want to do is exert too much force on it. No matter how good the screwdriver, either the blade will fail or the screwhead (or thread) will break if too much force is applied. The problem has to be tackled sensibly at root cause; if the bracelet is very old corrosion wiil be an issue so penetrating oil/heat must be applied. If the bracelet isn't old it's either loctite or crossed threads that are causing the issue and heat will help in both cases.

I was recently faced with a 70s Omega with seized bracelet screws. 1 hr later they were all removed without damage using the techniques mentioned. Heat/Penetrating oil/heat/penetrating oil........continue till the screw will move using reasonable force. Might take an hour,might take a day.... patience pays off eventually.

Paul
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 14th December 2016 at 01:09.

I used cheap crappy ones for years and just got by with them. I then mashed up a screw head using one on a new watch (as Paul mentioned, it was sealed in with loctite), and as such decided on Bergeon. I went with them because of their reputation for being up there with the best, and also having used the 6767f for many years without complaint.

I went with the 10 piece 6899-10. Pricey but the results are like chalk and cheese. they fit into screwvhead slots perfectly, with no wiggle whatsoever. Plus you also get several replacement blades.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Bergeon screwdrivers are probably the best out there........ I suspect the problem was something other than the screwdriver.
    Avoid the anti-magnetic blades though as these are brittle, but otherwise yes excellent screwdrivers. My favourite have to be the Horotec ones though just for the ball bearings in the ends and in the bottom of the stand. But once you get above the cheaper sets it is all about personal preference to the feel and look of them.

I bought a set of Bergeon antimagnetic declafor blades which turned out to be soft as butter. I complained, they were sent back to Bergeon who sent me 10 x sets of hardened stainless steel blades for my trouble. They never said there was anything wrong with the antimag ones but after my issue Cousins put a warning on their web page about them being softer than standard blades. I've never used such soft ones, if a screw was particularly tight the tip would just shear straight off, even if it was a brand new blade.

Journeyman
    I use bergon also

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Thewatchbloke View Post
    I bought a set of Bergeon antimagnetic declafor blades which turned out to be soft as butter. I complained, they were sent back to Bergeon who sent me 10 x sets of hardened stainless steel blades for my trouble. They never said there was anything wrong with the antimag ones but after my issue Cousins put a warning on their web page about them being softer than standard blades. I've never used such soft ones, if a screw was particularly tight the tip would just shear straight off, even if it was a brand new blade.
    I typically find the issue is more screws heads that are soft rather than the screwdrivers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not sure what you mean by "soft" screw heads although I do come across weak ones now and again, normally caused by a slot that's been machined too deeply.

I find the usual cause of screw head shearing off when undoing a screw is due to over tightening when they were fitted, or corrosion of course but that's a whole different matter!

Craftsman
    AF screwdrivers for me. I've only had 1 blade chip very slightly at the tip other than that they have been excellent :)