closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Real Quality or Real Quality Repilca ??

Apprentice

Real Quality or Real Quality Repilca ??

Hi all I'm new to the forum,
    Great content here but as the title says
    I am a real Watch lover Carnt get enough of them.
    But I don't understand the passion that some people have to find the best quality replica I have recently found a group on Facebook that only deal with reps and there passion is huge paying upwards of £1000 for a noobs factory super clone now don't get me wrong each to there own I'm not judging but spending that much on what is essentials a fake,
    I know these are to be honest very very good but knowing it's not real puts me off. Are these watches in there own rights good quality or are they just a good copy of someone else's hard work ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fake replicas are illegal.
    You will need to join another type of forum to discuss your concerns.

You're really not going to enjoy how this thread goes. Run, run for the hills.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Turner86 View Post
    I know these are to be honest very very good but knowing it's not real puts me off. Are these watches in there own rights good quality or are they just a good copy of someone else's hard work ?
    They are a good copy of someone else's work.

Are they good quality in their own right? Compared to what? Rolex? Grand Seiko? Panerai? Squale? It is all relative. If there is something that puts you off, then avoid them.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeny View Post
    Fake replicas are illegal.
    I think he is asking about real replicas.

Quote Originally Posted by GrandS View Post
    I think he is asking about real replicas.
    Let's separate homage watches from fakes. Fakes are illegal - end of. Homages are often made to a very high standard for their relative cost and are enjoyed by many on here.

If I had 1000 to pay for a replica I would save another thousand or two and buy the real thing.

Craftsman
    Hi all I'm new to the forum,
    Great content here but as the title says
    I am a real Watch lover Carnt get enough of them.
    But I don't understand the passion that some people have to find the best quality replica I have recently found a group on Facebook that only deal with reps and there passion is huge paying upwards of £1000 for a noobs factory super clone now don't get me wrong each to there own I'm not judging but spending that much on what is essentials a fake,

Think you may well be in the wrong forum !!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 964boy View Post
    Think you may well be in the wrong forum !!!!!!!!
    Well, not really, he's questioning why people would spend that money.

We all (most) agree, it's daft to spend substantial sums on a fake anything.

If it's pretending to be a Rolex, why would you believe anything they seller says about it? Eg High quality Swiss movement...

Once some one pretends a watch is a Rolex, rather than a copy (lots without the Rolex branding), then they've lost all credibility.

I must admit, I'm not a huge fan of overt 'homages' usually, either, but that's a whole different discussion

M

Fake *or* 99.9% exact homage with a different name (we all know the ones) - it's all the same to me. Total embarrassment.

Quote Originally Posted by Max... View Post
    Fake *or* 99.9% exact homage with a different name (we all know the ones) - it's all the same to me. Total embarrassment.
    Only there are no 99% exact homages - because most are just cheap crap. Even the expensive ones are hardly up there with the latest production techniques, and quality control will for the most part be a joke.

Why would anyone buy them? Because they want people to think they have the real thing, and they (some of them) believe they are getting essentially the same thing but being really clever they have saved a fortune and got one over on the unsuspecting thickos that have paid more for the real thing.
    It's just a matter of time...

Fake watches or replicas are made poorly for a number of reasons. They don't need to protect any reputation or brand and don't need to think of long-term consequences.

There are some so-called super replicas or AAA or whatever, but those are still poorly made and corners are always cut.

passion is huge paying upwards of £1000 for a noobs factory super clone now don't get me wrong each to there own I'm not judging but spending that much on what is essentials a fake,
    What is rather sure is that this £1000 "super clone" is technically max. £300 -worth and even on best case generic swiss movement diver in asian case and dial with fake logos etc. How ever because some one is selling fake and telling it is "super clone" how trust even that?

JP

Fake replicas lead to a fake discussion ( real replicas as well)!
    Whether you like them or not, this has been discussed and dismissed a lot of times.
    No need to discuss fakes/replicas/homages again.
    Replicas not encouraged here. Punctuation and proper use of upper and lower cases is encouraged.

Admins,please close the thread:-) Don't ask who are the admins.
    And,OP-welcome if you want to discuss real watches.

Fakes in their own right are wrong, think we all agree on that, but the homage thing is sailing close to the wind in my opinion for some, before i could afford a Rolex, i did like the homage thing, but it wore very thin very quickly as i think even a brand like Steinhart et al are just too close for my tastes now. I dont have a real problem with Steinhart just not for me any more, but then again i have just bought a Panerai homage, maybe its as i acquire a real brand that i go off of the homage thing, i think so, but there again there are only so many watch types so if you want a diver, a lot are going to be a homage of some type or degree.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Only there are no 99% exact homages - because most are just cheap crap. Even the expensive ones are hardly up there with the latest production techniques, and quality control will for the most part be a joke.
    A wildly sweeping statement! Many Steinhart owners on here have stated how impressed they are with Steinhart quality, and the movements are often from ETA, the same as in other very expensive brands. Replicas can be cheap crap - the real snag being you have no idea what you are buying.

A good rule of thumb is that anyone who uses the word "replica" is a wrong 'un.

What an intredasting thread.

Apprentice
    Well my apologies to those of you who have felt this thread is disrespectful towards the forum, It just seams the market is getting flooded with them and more more people are buying /collecting specifically fakes like ORDO mentioned if you have 1000 to spend on say a fake Rolex /Tudor then look around and save the extra and buy the real thing

I think Steinhart tend to be a Marmite brand on here with lots of people, including myself, loving them and others who don't like them.

Only a small part of the Steinhart range are homage watches, the Ocean One Vintage range mainly. Lots of others are not homage watches at all. I find them to be really good quality and great value for money and having owned many Rolex, a PP Aquanaut and several Omegas, I do have something to compare them to.

In no way am I saying that they are as good as the more expensive brands, but with the price of most of their watches in the £300 to £500 bracket most people can afford them and don't have to worry about which postal service to use when buying and selling, insurance, expensive servicing, locking them away in a safe and fretting about their residual values. They are a watch brand to wear and enjoy without all the grief that a £10k+ watch brings. They also hold their values and are easy to sell if needs be.

OP, why on earth would you introduce yourself (except that you haven't of course) on a (real) watch forum by starting a thread about fakes/replicas?! You surely couldn't have imagined that it was going to go down well?

What is generally appreciated here is that new forum members introduce themselves, tell us what they're interested in and what they've got, and maybe share a few photos.

Why don't you try it? If you're serious about sticking around that might be a better approach than this somewhat incendiary way of saying 'hello'...

Simon

There is an Aqua Terra on sales corner for £1125
    Far better to put your money into something real and boxed etc than blow a grand on something that is pretending to be something. Fakes tend to look like the real thing when photographed on websites but usually fall apart and there is no after sales service as no one in their right mind would touch them.

Apprentice
    Agree with what's been said spend your money on a decent second hand watch. Replicas while some can look good always fall apart

...if you have 1000 to spend on say a fake Rolex /Tudor then look around and save the extra and buy the real thing...
    Do you think it's fair to make a moral judgement about someone who buys fakes?

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    It depends. Those few who fake owners try to impress are those who propably will regonize the fake. I did once and it was big money deal going on. He was swiss btw...

JP

Journeyman
    I do wonder about the quality, not the copied design etc but the manufacture. You can get a watch with proper ceramic, titanium, sapphire, AR coating for £not much.
    I'm not into them at all, just wondering if these guys could come up with a marketable brand and decent design, would they be OK watches?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dobbsie View Post
    if these guys could come up with a marketable brand and decent design, would they be OK watches?
    Yes, and there are tons of them on aliexpress and they are a lot cheaper than the fakes you speak of.

Yes, completely.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by GrandS View Post
    Yes, and there are tons of them on aliexpress and they are a lot cheaper than the fakes you speak of.
    That's very interesting, thanks. I have often wondered what these people could do without the whole stealing thing.
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Watc...6-f25dc41dbcbd

!!!! Seiko auto movement, sapphire and completely original design.....
    $68!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by dobbsie; 5th December 2016 at 20:55.

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    If it's pretending to be a Rolex, why would you believe anything they seller says about it? Eg High quality Swiss movement...

M
    They never claim that - the higher end fakes are absolutely clear about what they are and the buyers are absolutely clear about what they are getting. They are willing partners to counterfeiters (or rather their middle-men) - it's (problematically) why the quality keeps going up - because of the competition for high end good quality fakes.

Rubbish.

They put Rolex or whatever on the dial, so why would you believe any of their claims?

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Rubbish.

They put Rolex or whatever on the dial, so why would you believe any of their claims?

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Because the people who buy them go back to the same people time and again - they write glowing reviews about the customer service and fake forums have 'dealer of the year' competitions. At the high end it absolutely mirrors the legitimate supply chain - why wouldn't it? What business doesn't want repeat customers. This is why its growing and so dangerous to the legitimate supply chain - this isn't the 'looky looky' man on a turkish beach - these are large companies who do customer service.

Here's a quote from a paper I've written about it " I am constantly impressed by the honesty, professionalism and passion which is demonstrated daily by the guys at the heart of the replica watch trade’.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    Because the people who buy them go back to the same people time and again - they write glowing reviews about the customer service and fake forums have 'dealer of the year' competitions. At the high end it absolutely mirrors the legitimate supply chain - why wouldn't it? What business doesn't want repeat customers. This is why its growing and so dangerous to the legitimate supply chain - this isn't the 'looky looky' man on a turkish beach - these are large companies who do customer service.

Here's a quote from a paper I've written about it " I am constantly impressed by the honesty, professionalism and passion which is demonstrated daily by the guys at the heart of the replica watch trade’.
    You do know that few here will believe you, and those who do mostly won't admit it. ;-)

Why would that be so hard to believe? Business is business, good customer service is good customer service.

It's bonkers that it happens in the world of fakes, but believable nonetheless.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by dobbsie View Post
    I do wonder about the quality, not the copied design etc but the manufacture. You can get a watch with proper ceramic, titanium, sapphire, AR coating for £not much.
    I'm not into them at all, just wondering if these guys could come up with a marketable brand and decent design, would they be OK watches?
    That was the other point I was talking about if the movements ect would be of good quality if you extracted the design and branding from them and they were made to there own brand /specs would there be a viable new brand Watch but I guess to build a copy is cheaper and more recognizable for a quicker sale

I'm not nor is anyone else judging the people that buy them just I think the main consensus is it's there choice but most would save and buy genuine.

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    You do know that few here will believe you, and those who do mostly won't admit it. ;-)
    That reminds me, I need to make some changes over Christmas break but I promised you a copy of that paper on watches - I fire it over in a couple of weeks (I got a little behind on it due to some other papers ahead of it).

...I'm not nor is anyone else judging the people that buy them...
    This forum has a low tolerance for fakes and fakers. It makes it easier for us to build trust.

Please tell me that wasn't a serious question. People who buy fakes are supporting those who are counterfeiting and stealing intellectual property. So yes, making a moral judgement about the buyers is entirely fair in my opinion.

Simon

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    Business is business, good customer service is good customer service.

It's bonkers that it happens in the world of fakes, but believable nonetheless.
    This is so. There is a strong economic incentive for those who produce counterfeit goods and who want repeat business to reliably do what they say they will, produce high quality products and to provide good customer service.

However, many here on this forum find it difficult to believe that fakers can be 'honest' in this way despite the economic incentives.

Blog Entries
    That reminds me, I need to make some changes over Christmas break but I promised you a copy of that paper on watches - I fire it over in a couple of weeks (I got a little behind on it due to some other papers ahead of it).
    That would be great, thanks. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    Please tell me that wasn't a serious question. People who buy fakes are supporting those who are counterfeiting and stealing intellectual property. So yes, making a moral judgement about the buyers is entirely fair in my opinion.

Simon

It was a serious question to the OP, yes.

And he's given a serious answer.

My views are aligned with yours but I was interested to know who thinks what.

Apprentice
    This forum has a low tolerance for fakes and fakers. It makes it easier for us to build trust.
    Completely agree with that and trust is something that doesn't come easy but lost fast so it's understandable

Here's a quote from a paper I've written about it "I am constantly impressed by the honesty, professionalism and passion which is demonstrated daily by the guys at the heart of the replica watch trade’.
    How we roared!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    How we roared!
    It does sound preposterous when seen from the particular point of view of this forum, doesn't it, but economics wins every time. As I've said before, we are in a minority here with our views about fakes. Most people just don't care; they don't feel the emotional revulsion that many here do.

It does sound preposterous when seen from the particular point of view of this forum, doesn't it, but economics wins every time. As I've said before, we are in a minority here with our views about fakes. Most people just don't care; they don't feel the emotional revulsion that many here do.
    You are right Mark, but this community is unusual in that many own original pieces and therefore rightly look down on fakes. In the non-WIS world your average Joe would rather pay less than a hundred quid for a fake Sub rather than £5k+ for the real thing.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    In the non-WIS world your average Joe would rather pay less than a hundred quid for a fake Sub rather than £5k+ for the real thing.
    Indeed, although it's also worth noting that the high quality fakes from suppliers with good reputations come in at somewhat more than <£100. In the hundreds, from what I've seen. They are increasingly high quality watches in their own right (putting aside abuse of intellectual property!).

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post

Simon

Hi Simon.

People are particularly passionate in here about fake watches because this is a watch forum.

Just wondering if you feel as strongly about other areas of copyright theft, eg people who watch or illegally download copies of games, films or music etc.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

They are increasingly high quality watches in their own right (putting aside abuse of intellectual property!).
    Do you seriously know/believe this?
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Do you seriously know/believe this?
    It is what I have read from those who buy them.

Obligatory disclaimer for those who are emotionally charged on this subject and are, even now, looking for torches to set aflame :-

(1) I do not buy or own any fakes.

(2) I do not condone abuse of intellectual property.

(3) So why do I take an interest in fake watches? Because it is naive in the extreme to presume that one knows much about genuine watches (and the matter of buying genuine second hand or vintage watches) if one does not also know something about fakes. The blue Sub affair showed me how important it is to know the differences and to have some knowledge of what is possible.
    Last edited by markrlondon; 5th December 2016 at 23:33.

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    Hi Simon.

People are particularly passionate in here about fake watches because this is a watch forum.

Just wondering if you feel as strongly about other areas of copyright theft, eg people who watch or illegally download copies of games, films or music etc.
    Yes I do.

Simon