closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Any Gin Aficionado's out there?

Any Gin Aficionado's out there?

Over the years on here, I've seen many a different hobbyest on here.....Are any of you one with Gin?

I have a bottle, of what is considered 'old and rare' by one pro so far, but with no diffinitive price on what it may be worth. If any one knows their Gin stuff, please get in touch, and I'll put some more info up.

Many thanks.

Joe.

Master
    Mr Juggles.

Yes, I guzzle the stuff down like dishwater. We British were brought up on it.

The most important thing is not the gin surprisingly but the tonic water.

I have recently started to use Fever Tree tonic and it taste great even with cheap gin. I am a boring old fart and I tend to drink Gordons and Bombay for the occasional treat.

As regards to your particular bottle of gin, why not just drink it yourself ?

Regards

Mick
    Last edited by Mick P; 2nd December 2016 at 00:46.

Journeyman
    There is only one thing worse than a warm gin and tonic -
    No gin and tonic !

I love the stuff and would be interested to see what you've got, gin wise

Master
    My wife is a great supporter and fan of Edinburgh Gin, but after she has a few any old mothers ruin will do.

Another for Fever Tree tonic Great with vodka also.

Big fans here too.

I bought the missus a gin advent calendar this year.

Master
    Yes indeed, currently with the Botanist and Sipsmith VJOP. Rather like Fever Tree Mediterranean tonic.

I think the OP was looking for expertise regarding some sort of rare/old gin...
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    I think the OP was looking for expertise regarding some sort of rare/old gin...
    Gin is not made like whisky in different distilleries under a branded name but is made in various factories and they slap all manner of labels on them. There is rarely any history on a label. At the end of the day you have to remember that gin was made to drink in the Victorian era as a safeguard against drinking the heavily polluted mains water, hence the name mothers ruin.

Gin is enjoying a revival but the tonic waters are now being seen as the main constituent.

Regards

Mick

Master
    Gin is for drinking, preferably now!

This is my latest, Granit, from Bavaria. It comes with a granite cube which you put in the freezer, nice little gimic and it keeps your drink cold enough without diluting it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Juggles View Post
    I have a bottle, of what is considered 'old and rare' by one pro so far, but with no diffinitive price on what it may be worth. If any one knows their Gin stuff, please get in touch, and I'll put some more info up.
    There's a small, but growing market in old gins. The Whisky Exchange, Gin Festival and many auction houses are selling old bottles.

Thanks for the all the insight so far guys, I have as follows;

I have been on the Gin Festival site....they had something similar... A later bottle at £165. They put me onto a Gin collector, who immediately offered me £50 for the bottle.....?
    Then onto Whiskey Exchange. The last time they had a bottle in, I was told they sold it for £120, but that was a while ago, and it is now considered 'old and rare'. The only way to purchase now, would be through an auction, or collector.
    Last night, I was contacted by someone else from Gin Gentry. This guy gave me a full history of the bottle. Looking at around being bottled mid 70's......Price wise....£150 a bottle. Although the label is intact and all seals in place, It's condition was graded as average....could have been £200 :)
    Now it's deciding what to do with it, as it's getting rarer....I assume it will appreciate?

The gin by the way is, Coates & Co, Original Plymouth Dry Gin. 70 Proof 26fl ozs.

thanks.

Joe.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy H View Post
    and it keeps your drink cold enough without diluting it.
    What about the second glass?