closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Buying watches when you're partially inebriated...

Buying watches when you're partially inebriated...

I don't normally recommend this but I've ended up winning this via an auction for the princely sum of £350. I was after a nice dress watch and this obviously caught Drunk Steve's eye. Anybody more knowledgeable know whether this was a good/bad purchase?

This is the blurb from the auction site:-

This is a Reserve auction for a very rare Collector’s Quality Zenith 106-50-6 wristwatch with gold plated movement. By bidding you accept it may not have the accuracy of a quartz watch!

The Reserve is set sensibly, the movement having been serviced recently with a new contemporary original Zenith crocodile strap and original buckle fitted.

Dial: "Golf ball" centre. Wonderful original condition. Less crown measures 30.35mms
    Case: Excellent condition, 40 microns 18 carat gold filled. Stainless steel screw back
    Strap: New old stock vintage Zenith crocodile with original gold plate buckle. Fits wrist to 19.50mms
    Movement: Zenith calibre #106-50-6. [[Google ‘Zenith 106-50-6 ranfft’ for more information.]] Recently serviced
    Sorry for the rubbish pics but it hasn't arrived yet for some good wrist shots.

Blog Entries
    Lovely old thing, but 30mm - isn't that a ladies size ?

z

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    Lovely old thing, but 30mm - isn't that a ladies size ?

z

Ladies strap too!! perhaps the OP found his more feminine side while having a drink..

Hahaha! It was listed under the mens section and in my defense I was going to swap the strap out for a nice black one I have. I did think 30mm was a bit on the small side when I had sobered up

Nice little present for the missus then

EDIT: A bit of googling shows this wasn't an uncommon size for the time?
    Last edited by SteveHarris; 28th November 2016 at 16:04.

Master
    I've bought a 5711 Nautilus and a Platinum Daytona when fairly loose. Works for me.
    Last edited by cmcm3; 28th November 2016 at 16:04.

30mm is pretty dainty.

If this is you, you'll be fine though!

Looks in nice condition though! If I'd spotted it I might have bought it (I hate to say this, but...) for my wife.

M
    Last edited by snowman; 28th November 2016 at 17:24.

Grand Master
    That looks reasonably OK to me. However, it's a bit small at 31mm but that wasn`t uncommon in the past. I'm not an expert on Zenith movements but this one's older than anything I`ve worked on; my guess is late 50s/early 60s. A light polish with a rouge cloth, repolish the glass, get it on a black strap and it'll look Ok......but 31mm is still a bit small.

I`ve a new-found respect for Zenith movements after reluctantly taking a couple on to restore. Parts are fairly easy to source if you know who to ask, LVMH haven`t gone down the same path as Swatch Group are trying with Omega and others.

Paul

You are not alone, I once read an interview with William Gibson the sci-fi author, who told he was into vintage watches and that he several times had been really surprised by the small size of his fleabay wins. I have deep down in a drawer a tiny little rectangular gold plated watch, I forgot to ask the seller for how big it was. Not even my wife could use that.

I have a Pierce Triple Date ( from here in fact ) that I like but is quite tiny!

My Tissot Visodate is perfet as it has a retro look with a modern size. I am sometimes in the mood ( normally dress down Friday ) to wear it but have to be a particular mood.

This was quite a bit smaller than I expected when it turned up!

You're not alone. I had a liquid lunch today and then jumped on to the Phillips sale in HK.

Ended up being the winning bidder on a Rolex triple date - Panettone or something.

To be honest, I only bid on it because it was named after an Italian Christmas cake...

Quote Originally Posted by Broussard View Post
    To be honest, I only bid on it because it was named after an Italian Christmas cake...
    Brilliant

Banned
    Ended up having 12 bottles of Peroni after buying my gold sub in my AD's it was like a little party going on and not in the cheap seats.

Only Downside no nibbles, so went to chinatown for a good nosh after and managed to get out alive.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Broussard View Post
    You're not alone. I had a liquid lunch today and then jumped on to the Phillips sale in HK.

Ended up being the winning bidder on a Rolex triple date - Panettone or something.

Holy crap, that sounds expensive???

Bought a watch last Thursday after a few drinks and forgot about it till I got a UPS notification this am that I was receiving a Package from Netherlands!
    A pleasant surprise

After a serious amount of glühwein I bought an OEM bracelet for my Panerai pam164

I don't usually buy watches that cost as much and that's when I am sober!

- - - Updated - - -

After a serious amount of glühwein I bought an OEM bracelet for my Panerai pam164

I don't usually buy watches that cost as much and that's when I am sober!

Craftsman
    Step away from the keyboard, especially when you've had a drink or 10. Think we've all done that st some point, not necessarily just watches, cars as well.

Looks nice enough, just a bit on the small side.

My best drunk purchase was my Heuer Autavia 2446 for £750 from Argentina. It arrived, worked for five minutes and went straight off for a service. With retrospect I could have spent £1,500 on a mint first generation Autavia but you don't think about that when you're buying drunk on eBay. I still have the Autavia, and another drunk purchase in my Omega Jedi.
    "A man of little significance"

Its a bit small, even by my standards.

Lovely looking thing though - try wearing it for a few days, you might get on fine with it.

Ive bought dinner plate size divers in the past - on eBay late at night after too much alcohol. Fortunately nothing too expensive and easily moved on via SC usually at a loss though.

One of the benefits of no longer drinking is that this is now far less likely.

Craftsman
    I would be surprised if the dial and hands were original. Looks like a watch put together in India, Thailand or Eastern Europe. Cheap labour and cheap dials with any name added as needed.

Quote Originally Posted by me32dc View Post
    I would be surprised if the dial and hands were original. Looks like a watch put together in India, Thailand or Eastern Europe. Cheap labour and cheap dials with any name added as needed.
    I'm pretty sure it's original and not fake. Thanks for your input though...

My latest purchase while inebriated
    Pretty pleased with it

The

Nice! I just got the bronze mk26 tank. Love it!

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    My latest purchase while inebriated
    Pretty pleased with it

The
    Is that dial half blue & half black, Raj?

Somon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    Is that dial half blue & half black, Raj?

Somon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes,like D Blue

That is nice Raj. From Serious Watches?

Quote Originally Posted by OldHooky View Post
    That is nice Raj. From Serious Watches?
    Yes,indeed
    Only place I could find it.

Craftsman
    Sorry to disappoint but the dial of the OP looks refinished to me, contrary to what the ad says. (The uneven script of the 'Zenith" signature on the dial is a clear give away IMHO).
    So at 31mm, it's overpriced even though the dial texture is pleasant and the movement looks nice. Gold plated to top it all so not worth more than £150 IMHO- and because the ad was inaccurate and misleading I recommend you try to get a refund and return it.
    If you'd like second opinions on the originality of the dial, you will find experts on vintage Zenith watches on the Zenith subforum of Omega Forums.

Best regards,
    S
    Last edited by Plume; 3rd December 2016 at 12:39.

Blog Entries
    ^^^^

The top of the 'T' finishes under the 'I' but above the 'H' - not straight at all

I think Plume may have a point?

If they've not sent it, maybe ask them to cancel the purchase?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    If they've not sent it, maybe ask them to cancel the purchase?
    It doesn't matter if they have already sent it, the OP should still seek a refund. The watch is not what the ad made it out to be, it's a significant error in the description which has a conclusive impact on value and commitment to purchase.

All he has to say is that visual inspection of the dial indicates it is refinished.
    Visual in person inspection is always the ultimate test.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Plume View Post
    It doesn't matter if they have already sent it, the OP should still seek a refund. The watch is not what the ad made it out to be, it's a significant error in the description which has a conclusive impact on value and commitment to purchase.

All he has to say is that visual inspection of the dial indicates it is refinished.
    Visual in person inspection is always the ultimate test.
    True... but, just saves a lot of hassle if it hasn't been posted already..!

Received yesterday. I'll post some better pics later today for the forums opinion

What do we think then? Has it been refinished? Click on pic for a bigger version.

Cheers,

Steve

Craftsman
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but it looks like an obvious redial in particular in light of the following:

1/ paint from the repainting process creeping up on the edges of each of the raised numerals.

2/ crude rendition of Zenith dial signature, with certain letters executed sans serifs -- and others with serifs.
    Example of Zenith logo on original 1950s dial (not all 1950s logos have such pronounced serifs though):

3/ uneven indexes on minute track (see at 6).

If you're looking for collectors' grade items the preferable option would be to return for a refund.
    But otherwise it looks pleasant, so if you or someone else like it, then just enjoy it.

Thanks very much Plume. I'm going to attempt to get a refund.

Steve