closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Amazon Firestick advice................

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

Amazon Firestick advice................

What's on a Amazon Firestick without paying for any subscriber stuff?

Master
    without paying Amazon stuff. Still Netflix available or your usual free to air catch up services such as iPlayer, 4od, 5 on demand, ITV player etc etc. they also stream live tv I think

There's also the option of putting Kodi on it I suppose if thats your bag

Quote Originally Posted by SteveR View Post
    without paying Amazon stuff. Still Netflix available or your usual free to air catch up services such as iPlayer, 4od, 5 on demand, ITV player etc etc. they also stream live tv I think

There's also the option of putting Kodi on it I suppose if thats your bag
    And mobdro - which streams live TV - like BT Sport and Sky - quality is not grea, but better than missing out all together.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Indeed. It's basically a little Android stick with loose restrictions set on Amazon. I guess, in theory, it could be just about anything you wanted. If you have the time and knowledge

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Thankd guys, just really wanted to be sure it would do ITV player out of the box.

Judt to be sure, my LG smart tv does not do ITV player because it does not run flash. I'm guessing if the source is through the zfirestick it won't an issue as it playing via another source.

It may also be worth mentioning that the Fire stick has to be plugged into the mains (via the supplied adaptor) for it to work.

The stick also doesn't have the voice search function on the remote like the Fire box does, but you can upgrade the remote for about £15.00.

Quote Originally Posted by senraw View Post
    It may also be worth mentioning that the Fire stick has to be plugged into the mains (via the supplied adaptor) for it to work.
    That's not strictly true. You can use a USB port on the TV, if it supplies enough current. In my experience the ports that are designed for plugging in external hard drives work as they are designed to provide more current than ones for USB sticks. It can be hit and miss though.

Quote Originally Posted by senraw View Post

The stick also doesn't have the voice search function on the remote like the Fire box does, but you can upgrade the remote for about £15.00.
    I think the new version of the Firestick comes with the voice remote included. It has the same spec (8gb capacity, 1gb RAM) but with a faster quad core processor.

Quote Originally Posted by waynertron View Post
    That's not strictly true. You can use a USB port on the TV, if it supplies enough current. In my experience the ports that are designed for plugging in external hard drives work as they are designed to provide more current than ones for USB sticks. It can be hit and miss though.

Mine works perfectly powered from the USB port on a Sony Bravia. Instead of using the short HDMI cable that is supplied I bought a 0.5m cable for £1.40 and the stick sits on the shelf in front of the TV when in use, as a speed test showed @ 5mbs behind the TV and 28 in front, clearly a TV set is a very good wifi shield! Also I opened the stick up (simple to do with a thin sharp blade, starting on the non plug side) and removed the 3 foam pads, resulting in it running a fair bit cooler.
    F.T.F.A.

Journeyman
    I ordered mine during the black Friday and my plan is to install Kodi on it.
    There are a lot of Chinese android boxes in that price range with already installed Kodi, but my guess was that firestick maybe got better components and it will not die after couple of months.

Quote Originally Posted by Kocka View Post
    I ordered mine during the black Friday and my plan is to install Kodi on it.
    There are a lot of Chinese android boxes in that price range with already installed Kodi, but my guess was that firestick maybe got better components and it will not die after couple of months.
    Had mine since summer last year and still going strong, which is more than i can say for the 3 chromecasts i'd had before it, much more user friendly too.

I think the idea of using a longer hdmi cable is a good one. Aside from the apparent improved signal, a short one means the weight of the device is hanging on the hdmi socket which can damage either the tv socket or device, it's what killed 2 of my chromecasts

Brighty

Craftsman
    get kodi on there and start with exodus add on..job done and enjoy

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    I think the new version of the Firestick comes with the voice remote included. It has the same spec (8gb capacity, 1gb RAM) but with a faster quad core processor.

Mine works perfectly powered from the USB port on a Sony Bravia. Instead of using the short HDMI cable that is supplied I bought a 0.5m cable for £1.40 and the stick sits on the shelf in front of the TV when in use, as a speed test showed @ 5mbs behind the TV and 28 in front, clearly a TV set is a very good wifi shield! Also I opened the stick up (simple to do with a thin sharp blade, starting on the non plug side) and removed the 3 foam pads, resulting in it running a fair bit cooler.
    Sorry for going off-topic but how did you check the speed of the Firestick? I've looked to see if there's an app for the Firestick but haven't found anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob777 View Post
    Sorry for going off-topic but how did you check the speed of the Firestick? I've looked to see if there's an app for the Firestick but haven't found anything.

I didn't test the speed of the Firestick, I used the Ookla wifi speed test app on my iPhone to test what strength signal I was getting in the room. Also, if you get/have a Firestick the Amazon Fire TV Remote app makes typing stuff into search etc on the TV screen much faster.
    F.T.F.A.

Another aside but seems like a sensible thread so here goes...

I've put kodi onto my firestick and can see my NAS when I browse the network but can't see any files. Am I missing something obvious?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    I didn't test the speed of the Firestick, I used the Ookla wifi speed test app on my iPhone to test what strength signal I was getting in the room. Also, if you get/have a Firestick the Amazon Fire TV Remote app makes typing stuff into search etc on the TV screen much faster.
    Ah! Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Rob777 View Post
    Open any browser app on the fire stick and go to fast.com